ASSET PROTECTION PODCAST

ASSET PROTECTION PODCAST

Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes

Hey all..

interested to hear some discussion surrounding the recent BP Podcast on Asset Protection (the "YOU WILL GET SUED" issue)

So far I have 7 rental properties all multi unit having several units each, and they are just all under my name, which according to the attorney in the podcast, should NEVER be done for exposure reasons.

I feel like I've gotten a lot of mixed advice. Insurance Agents tell you insurance is the solution. Attorneys tell you LLC is the solution. My CPA tells me the LLC's are too expensive to operate and set up and that he's never dealt with people having issues not having properties under LLCs.

Wondering what all of you EXPERIENCED investors out there have done for your personal strategies, and do you find the statement true that, "it's not IF, but WHEN you'll be sued"?

My problems are at this point, the due-on-sale clause being possible if I transfer my properties to an LLC, and also, applying for financing. Do you all find issues with applying for financing under Trusts or LLCs?

Thanks

+Seth Mosley

Mosley Properties

3Reply
434 views

Most Popular Reply

Brian BurkePro Member
Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
11y

@Seth Mosley , I agree with @Bill Gulley who are both experienced guys and didn't keep what they built simply because of entity structures. I'm in the same camp.  It's funny, the question of "to entity or not to entity" is one of the most asked questions on BP and the pro-entity crowd is typically dominated by folks that have bought between 0 and 10 properties in their investing career. The experienced investors are usually the ones saying that entities are most likely unnecessary. Coincidence??

I've made my opinion known many times but I'm happy to chime in again.  Let me begin by saying that I have entities. I don't have entities for asset protection, however. I have them for legitimate business purposes--to segregate groups of investors, varying ownership percentages between myself and my partners, and for branding.

I know that Bill and Jay have been lucky (good?) enough to have not been sued so if you have followed this thread this long you might believe that the "you will get sued" statement is untrue. I'll present the other side of that story. I believe that if you do enough of this for long enough it's most likely a matter of time. You will get sued. SO WHAT?!?!  It's a reality of business.

I've been in this business for 25 years. Bought over 700 properties. Owned over a thousand doors and currently around 500 or so (not counting interior doors, LOL).  So my exposure is high. My personally-owned rentals are just that--owned personally, as in my own name. Remember that my entity owned properties are for a business purpose?  That's why. Not saying that what's right for me is right for you, nor am I saying that it's right for me (I could be wrong) but it's worked out fine.  I have lots of insurance.

I've been sued several times. I can think of seven times off the top of my head. There may be more but I don't remember for sure. Why not?  Because they obviously didn't make a big enough impression on me to even matter. 

Let's talk about those suits. Two were in small claims court by tenant plaintiffs. Both tenants lost. Cost of defense: some wasted time showing up to court.  Another one of the suits was a guy I sold a flip to who claimed that my contractor didn't do something correctly.  It was true, but the homeowner wouldn't allow the contractor back in to fix it--he wanted to shake us down for $5K in small claims court. We offered him $1,500 in lieu of the contractor making the repair but he wouldn't take the money. In court the judge ruled in his favor and awarded him $1,500--so we lost but won.  

Three suits were cases where I bought a house on the courthouse steps at a foreclosure auction and the foreclosed-out homeowner sued their lender for botching the foreclosure and me for quiet title, misrepresentation (for evicting them when I didn't own the home that I paid for), and fraud (for what? Signing over a cashier's check?).  I won all three cases. One cost $30K to defend (settled with the lender rather early-they refunded my money, I gave them the house, and they paid me a bit for my trouble), one cost $20-30K (don't remember exactly but it got thrown out of court before trial) and the third cost over $170K and counting (this one went to trial, I won but now the idiot is taking it to the Court of Appeals so I'll be continuing to pay for who knows how long). In addition to those defense costs I'm out over $100K in holding costs for houses I couldn't sell during the litigation (the third one going on 4-1/2 years).  

The final case is one where I bought a house on the courthouse steps and evicted the occupant. She refused to move her stuff out of the house even after the statutory time in which she was allowed to retrieve it. I was entitled to dispose of it but I couldn't morally do it--her whole life was in this almost 3,000 SQFT house. So, I hired a moving company to move everything to storage units. When she reimbursed me for the moving cost I gave her the keys to the storage units. Three hours after giving her the keys to seven storage lockers I get a call from the police--she claimed we stole a pocket watch and all of this other stuff. How could she know that out of all of that stuff there is a missing pocket watch in only three hours when it took a crew of six guys three days to load it is beyond me. She filed suit for theft of over $1.2 million worth of property!  She produced a list of hundreds of items that we alledgedly "stole", and our private investigator found most of the items in the storage units during discovery (the rest of the items didn't exist)--the whole suit is BS but this woman is a serial plaintiff and hired a lawyer who has a a pending license suspension to represent her (birds of a feather...). This one is going to jury trial.

Now for the meat of my point:  All of the properties associated with these suits except one of the tenant claims were owned in an entity. Will someone from the pro-entity crowd please explain to me how having an entity (actually multiple entities) helped me???!!!  Or prevented this??

The practical risk, in my opinion, is not judgments, it's the cost of defense and having an entity does not eliminate the cost of defending yourself from frivolous lawsuits!  If you want to be in this business, you have to live with the fact that you are a target.  

See this reply in the discussion

130 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Well, I see this is going off the deep end, no one was taking shots at Scott, the issue is whether or not you really need asset protection, 90% of you don't. If you do, lucky you, then by all means, see your estate attorney, your insurance agent, your CPA, your business attorney and devise a plan. I think Scott pointed that out, so did the other attorneys in this thread.

    I don't have a problem with those trying to drum up business, I might have a problem how it's done.

    I usually tell folks when selecting a good attorney, not to go with on who advertises, the good ones don't advertise in my area. :) 

  • Attorney · Shawnee, OK · Member since 2013 · 350 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    if I was Scott, I would have seen the comments in a negative, personal light. 

    Legal entities- if you can't afford $10+ in legal fees or judgements (like me) you probably need protection. I can walk away from all of my properties tomorrow and start over. I can do that because they are not me. They are separate legal entities. However, if someone sues me personally and I lose, I will have to file bankruptcy and lose almost all of my personal assets. This isn't complicated. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    yes I hadn't intended this thread to get personal at all.

    One other big question that has arisen:

    Are there any measures that you guys would recommend for setting yourself up to lessen the chances of a lawsuit? IE - are there any kinds of clauses you can have in a contract with a property manager or contractors/ etc / or any other strategies you guys have used to make sure you're always on the side of what's right and ethical?

    I realize that it can't be 100% bulletproof avoided but I'm sure there are things that can decrease the likelihood of a lawsuit.

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    and for the record, I am meeting with a few attorneys the next few weeks to get some legal advice on what I should do. I realize that every person's situation is different 

    I'll be interested to see if I get the same advice or if it will be different from attorney to attorney..

  • Attorney · Shawnee, OK · Member since 2013 · 350 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    Bill, quick note on attorney advertising-

    Attorneys were not allowed by law to advertise before 1977. Your attitude is/was very common and is enforced aggressively by the state bars where possible. Not surprisingly, this happens to prop up the oldest attorneys and firms who also happen the the ones who make the rules. I started out on my own by out working everyone. I worked harder and longer for less money than every other attorney in my area. I file more bankruptcies an anyone else in both of the counties I primarily work in. I am a better attorney for the experience. I welcome people to speak with other attorneys before coming to me. I have yet to lose a client to the old dogs who charge sometimes twice as much as me and file a tenth of the cases I do. 

    I advertise. A lot. 

    Once again this is taking shots and has nothing to do with the merits of the argument. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Seth Mosley:

    yes I hadn't intended this thread to get personal at all.

    One other big question that has arisen:

    Are there any measures that you guys would recommend for setting yourself up to lessen the chances of a lawsuit? IE - are there any kinds of clauses you can have in a contract with a property manager or contractors/ etc / or any other strategies you guys have used to make sure you're always on the side of what's right and ethical?

    I realize that it can't be 100% bulletproof avoided but I'm sure there are things that can decrease the likelihood of a lawsuit.

     Re posting again to see if anyone has any ideas 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Seth Mosley 

    Bottom line is any one can sue anyone at any time for anything.. Does not mean it has validity or would go anywhere.

    And it really depends on what type of business your in... Land lording in my mind is not inherently litigious except for those that are slum lords .. or blatantly disregard the laws.

    Now if you fix and flipping you bring on extra liablility, and if like me you build new construction you bring on another level.

    IN my lending practice were I lend to others HML's there is very little liability for me as the lender. etc etc

    depends on what your doing.

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    OK first the disclaimer, your state law may differ, my advice might be bad, it is not legal advice, get your own attorney, hmm oh yes greenbay may not make the superbowl next year.

       First I love this thread lots of good discussion.  here is my 2 cents.  First @Steve B. the First LLC was created here in WY between 2 oil companies doing a joint venture. They had to have an entity because neither were an individual. It just happened that the IRS gave them pass through tax tax status like an Sub S corp has and a new era began. The big advantage of an LLC was you got the flexibility of a partnership with the protection of a corporation. General partnerships are practically malpractice in my book due to some serious liability issues. Next an LLC or even a Corporation will not keep you from being sued or going into bankruptcy. Every choice you make in life carries a risk be it real estate investing, dating or even what you eat for breakfast. Do not let it paralyse you. As to asset protection I have both privately owned and corporation owned properties. I prefer things in Corporations or LLCs but I had reasons. Since I personally manage my rentals having an LLC or corporation will not be a lot of help. Anything you do personally a corporation will rarely protect you from. You drive a company car drunk and you will be sued personally. Someone slips on the sidewalk of a property your corporation owns if they sue they will name you. It can help if it something that was beyond your control or IF you have no personal control over the property. Example, I have local properties, if a tree limb falls on someone I will probably be sued personally. Why? Because it is my job to get maintenance done. It it was heavy snow it helps, it it was rot I should cut it down. Now I also have a property in Indiana owned by the same company. If a tree limb falls and hits someone there and they sue me personally there is no way they will win. it has is own property manager, its own insurance and I do not direct its daily care. People who are really rich do not do the day to day maintenance or supervising.

       Next @Paul Choate I think it does matter how long you have practiced law.  I do want to go into surgery with a guy a year out of medical school unless he has a very experienced Dr. with him.  it doesn't mean he is not capable, or even excellent, but the more you DO the more you learn.  That being said sometimes folks rest on their laurels, there are areas I knew more about when I graduated than I do now because back then I looked everything up, and occasionally things have changed and I have not kept up on it.  I have not advertised for years and I regularly turn away business.  I do charge more than the new guys and usually I am worth it, but not always.

    One way I try to limit liability of personal assets is by holding my main house, and many other paid off assets in tenants by the entireties with my wife, but I own and direct my rental business on my own. My wife will be the beneficiary if I die but she does not direct or own any portion of it. I understand the insider trade 2 year statute of limitations in bankruptcy on the transfers but I am nowhere near insolvent. My house my office building, my farm, even my horse corrals, all tenants by the entireties. No creditor can attach any portion of my ownership for anything I am liable for unless she is also liable, and she is not. I have been lawyer and landlord for over 25 years. I know that having property in an LLC does not protect you from liability but it can help in some circumstances. Tax reasons for me are a good reason to form an LLC or corporation of some kind. Good insurance for me is a must. It was not a must when I was broke, I got what was required. The more you have the more you should be insured. Some folks have a million in liability insurance on their rental but only $50K on their car insurance, that is stupid. there is way more liability in driving you car in most cases.

        I think @Scott Smith is a sharp guy, and had some educated ideas, I think he will be even better after he has a decade or 2 behind him.  His scenario seems to me is folks with a lot of assets.  There is a cost in maintaining any corporate structure and a lot of work.  I could never do each of my houses in a separate entity I do not have the time, and it is not economical to hire someone to do it.  

        There is a lot I would love to add to this discussion, but I must run, a house I own had the water heater go out and the sewer drain under it is seriously plugged.  I also need to run to Casper for a new water heater and some other parts. (5Hour round trip if I hurry)  I do not want the woman in that house to get irritated any more than she is at the moment, as she is my wife.  I also need to get the shower working soon.  Have a nice Sunday folks and remember to always use your common sense in these matters.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    Yes Paul, perhaps I was harsh as to those who advertise, actually it was advice from a couple of attorneys that I was passing on. Brad Bradshaw does a lot of TV ads here and he is is top notch, an MD & JD, known nationally. Always an exception to the rule.

    Steve B. guess you don't understand what I mean by good management, all the issues pointed out don't fall under good management, had it been good those matters would not have arisen. Part of being a good manager is recognizing what areas of your business must be given sufficient due diligence, like insurance or hiring a contractor who has an insufficient bond or coverage. And yes, a good manager can anticipate where they may be liable to a tenant, as that comes out of negligence in my areas of responsibility to them, not just to anything they may have arise in their daily lives.

    I've probably had more risk exposure in RE management, transactions, leasing and lending than most and what you can't argue with is the success of astute management that has kept me out of such messes! :) 

  • Attorney · Shawnee, OK · Member since 2013 · 350 posts · 230 votes
    11y

    lot of disparate issues- 

    I almost don't know what to say...

    Jerry, I know of no jurisdiction which provided the protections you speak of for a tenancy by the entireties. I can not speak to your state's laws but I can say with certainty that you would be completely exposed in Oklahoma. I would like some clarification on you statement that an llc will not protect you from liability when you clearly state that it does protect you on your out of state properties. It ether does or it doesn't have liability protection built into it. (Btw- it does.) 

    Everyone- there are always exceptions to the rules. That's why people have to hire me;)! Just because you can mess up and lose the protections of the law does not mean they are not there. Get your ducks in a row using competent legal and other professional advice, proper insurance and great business and management practices and you should be fine. (Seth- there's my answer to your question.)

    Why would you ignore any part of the protections available to you?

    Bill, I will argue all day long with your results. You are the rule not the acception. Most people make it through life just fine. That is how everything is set up. It's when people/businesses fail that these things matter.

    I see it everyday. People blame themselves when bad things happen. Bad things happen!!! It's called life. You are not better or worse because you did or did not get sick, divorced, death, lose your job, get in an accident etc. it happens to a percentage of us and we should be prepared for it. 

    One more time about attorneys- every year our bar association releases statistics about the attorneys who recieve bar complaints. One of the numbers is a breakdown of complaints by the number of years in practice. Guess who gets the most complaints? Attorneys in practice over 20 years and it is not close.  

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 125 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    Prepaid legal policy covered mine.

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 163 posts · 51 votes
    11y

    I don't understand why people are saying that a "Limited LIABILITY Corporation" does not protected you from liability? Isn't that why they were originally created and not just for tax purposes?! Yes, you are have to run your LLC to the letter of the law and have all your paperwork in order and all that stuff in order to be protected. As others have stated, it doesn't protect you against fraud or negligent acts.

    I think the main point to remember is that LLCs don't protect your business. They protect your PERSONAL assets. I think people are forgetting that part. Yes if you get sued your business can be in jeopardy and may go bankrupt. But, if your run your LLC properly, your personal assets should be safe.

    If LLCs do not protect you from liability then why does every attorney, doctor, cpa, etc... all have their business setup as one? For tax advantages? Sure, but I don't think that's the main reason....

     I do think that generally if you are a good landlord and keep your properties nice and up to code and you work with your tenants and you show that you care about them and your properties, that you probably won't have very many lawsuits or maybe even none at all. But, suits still do happen and if that suit happens to come at the beginning of a business venture, then you may be in trouble.

    The more seasoned investors who have weighed in have an experienced team established and have significant financial resources to deal with a suit. I don't have 170K laying around for attorney's fees. In the case where the vet's are saying they setup the LLC for partnerships for tax reasons, I'm not sure that's the only reason. If the partner did something stupid and a suit resulted from it, then the LLC would limit that exposure to their other investments? Isn't that kind of the point?

    I love this thread because it's a real debate with different opinions and personal experiences. 

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Paul Choate  not all states apparently have tenants by the entireties.  it is a special form of ownership that is only allowed between a husband and wife.  No creditor can collect any debt of a single spouse from that joint property.  Not even a bankruptcy trustee.  it is different if both spouses owe the debt.  neither can encumber the property without the consent of the other one.  maybe it was from the old days when the husband would go to town and gamble and lose the ranch.  if the property was owned as tenants by the entireties he could not sell it or even mortgage it.  So if i get sued for 3 million and they win, and my insurance only goes to 2 million they come after me for the last million.  They cannot attach any property my wife and I own as tenants by the entireties unless my wife was named in the lawsuit and the judgement is also against her.  certain kinds of debts can however be used against tenants by the entireties like necessary medical bills.  Since a spouse is legally liable for the medical bills of the other spouse both automaticly owe it and it can be a lien against tenants by the entireties property.  if a spouse goes out and gets a credit card in only their own name the credit card companies cannot sue the spouse who name is not on the card for the debt, it is an extension of that line of law.

    Now as to protection from suit in a corporation or an LLC. those entities can never make you immune from suit for an action or lack of an action you did personally. It does not matter how many LLCs are in a row, if your breach of duty that caused an injury was done by you, they sue you and get a judgement then they take that judgement and sell your shares of stock or do a charge order against your LLC. LLCs have a special protection that prohibits in most cases a creditor from taking those assets personally, but any money you distribute from that LLC for your benefit they get. So you can own 10 houses in LLCs but they get any money you would have received from the LLC. So lets say you never want to take money then. Are you really going to own 10 houses for 40 years and never draw money from them? If you are a single person LLC that is a problem. You could hire family members to run it and siphon off some income, but get too greedy and you are asking to have a court pierce the veil for it becoming a sham.

    The general basis for corporations and not being liable for them came from the old world trading companies that hired ships and sailed off to buy spices and other commodities. it allowed folks to pool their money and not be liable if the ship sank, etc. That is still true today, but if you are working in the business day to day you can become personally liable. Do you see the difference? If the company hires a plumber to install a hot water heater and he hooks it up wrong and someone dies from carbon monoxide poisoning they can sue you personally but really will not win. Now if you own the LLC but you are the one who hooked up the exhaust pipe incorrectly you will be sued personally and probably lose so the LLC doesn't help much. If you hired the handyman who hooked the pipe up wrong you will be sued for failing to supervise or negligent hiring. So the LLC will only protect you in some situations. Most attorneys know how to make claims to bring you and your LLC into the lawsuit. Its like having a shield in front of you, its great if the bullets only come from one direction, when you personally manage you have bullets coming from 2 directions but the shield only protects from one. If you are not involved in the day to day operations the odds go up a lot the LLC protections will shield you. You can form an LLC for each property and if you are not personally liable they only have the one property to look to for payment. If it undercapitalized that is a basis to pierce the corporate veil. If you placed a bogus lien on it they can pierce the veil. if you failed to keep corporate formalities they can pierce the veil. Are you going to have a hired manager for every property? That may make the house no longer profitable. lets say you have 10 houses and 10 LLCs. Each LLC requires its own bank account, its own meetings and minutes, its own letterhead, its own set of books, its own tax return (K1), its own annual report and tax to the state of incorporation, etc. It would be very easy to spend $1K to $2K per year on all of that. So your cost of doing business just went up $10K to $20K per year. there goes your profit. If your 10 houses were under the same LLC the $1K to $2K per year would be split up between them for $100 to $200 each per year. If you do not do your own books or manage your own properties you have to hire a manager for each property, maybe its the same guy but he is going to get 10 different 1099s or W2s. You see what I mean. If it is a SFR worth $50K or even $100K its not worth it. If it is a 100 unit apartment building YES it is worth it. One house I own in my own name is next to my residence. I painted it, I collect rent, I repair things that break, I installed the sump pump, etc. The odds are high I would be sued personally weather or not it was in an LLC. Once they win against you they will go through your assets with a fine tuned interrogatory or deposition and find all of your assets. you cannot hide them. If your property goes bankrupt or is foreclosed upon you had to sign a personal guarantee in order to get the loan so you are liable. If you cross collaterolized loans in order to buy another property in a different LLC again it may be a basis to pierce the corporate veil. How much protection a corporation gives you varies a lot depending on how active you are in the business and its relationship to the basis of the suit. I agree corporations help but they do not always protect the way folks seem to assume they will.

    @Alexander Merritt in order for an LLC to protect your personal assets you must stay out of the day to day management of the properties. You hire someone to shovel the snow or mow the grass or replace carpet, or fix loose boards, etc. The second you fail to have someone nail down the loose stair or carpet and someone trips they can sue you personally. If you have someone else who hires and supervises it works well. So the person who owns a turnkey in the midwest but lives CA may have pretty good protection, but the guy who manages his own buildings has much less protection. If the guy in CA gets a call from his manager and manager says we need to replace the carpet on the stairs its loose, someone might fall, and the guy in CA says no that costs money, i don't care if they fall, then he may also be subject to a personal suit. Like @Bill Gulley says a lot of limiting your liability is doing the right thing and being a good landlord.  Anyone in a position of authority who ignores a safety concern and someone is injured will probably be sued personally.  Hopefully you can see a corporation or LLC is no silver bullet.

    As to not having $170K to use on attorney fees, I bet the property that is in dispute is worth many millions. You don't spend like that on a $50K property. I would also bet that property is in an LLC and they have those costs anyway. You might ask @Brian Burke , but I am fairly sure it is incorporated in some form.  It still didn't stop the lawsuit.  The lawsuits I have seen go after the company and usually name personally everyone they can think of.  Many times those people pay a small amount as a nuisance settlement, sometimes the court tosses the suit against them personally and sometimes they get a large settlement against them.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    @Alexander Merritt 

    and everyone without a JD, Jerry just gave an authoritative explanation of management issues and personal liability issues. Be sure to than Jerry!

    Glad he mentioned multiple LLCs too.

    You need to capitalize each entity sufficiently to funds its operations, that means cash on hand. The amount that may be reasonable will probably consider the assets held and the net worth as a base line. If you have 60K equity in 150K property what may seen as reasonable can be a % of these amounts, it good well be 6K in cash on hand probably not less than 3K, or 5%. You have 10 LLCs with similar holdings, you'll then need to keep 30K in cash on hand or in liquid assets basically sitting there, it's tied up, those are committed funds.

    Saying managing your LLC goes to business practices, like parental guidance for a child, much is based in judgment, not to the letter of the law. Law probably does not stipulate what cash balances are reasonable, it doesn't stipulate what is to be entered into the minutes of meetings or other managerial aspects.

    For example, in the minutes, you should enter authorizations to fund or expense corporate funds. That doesn't mean you have to enter an authorization to buy stationary and stamps or office supplies. A "cut off" should be adopted for minor expenses and that should be in your Operating Agreement of an LLC or By Laws adopted in the minutes, you might have a cut off of $200.00, but that too can be based on the operations, the assets and cash on hand of an organization. A corporate officer or manager must have operational leeway but at some point more significant business matters need to be brought to the owners/members,

    How you set up 2 or more LLCs needs more consideration than the one property for one LLC advocates mention. An attorney should be consulted as well as your accountant. You might make an existing LLC a member of a new LLC, or you may find that there should be no relationship between the two at all.

    There are really limited tax advantages to an LLC, mostly the LLC becomes a verifiable basis for expenses for the IRS, they may buy an expense for an office trash can for the LLC, they may not buy that expense if you own the property personally and operate out of your home. There can be other tax elections taken besides passing income to an owner personally, you could elect a C or S Corp tax election, but most don't.

    These management practices are obtained through formal education, information can be picked up from your attorney, CPA, insurance agent or banker as well.

    As to asset protection, you need to take an all inclusive approach with advisors working in concert rather than looking to statutes as everything you need to understand and address is not included in "the law".

    Great thread, it ought to get some sticky thing or earmarked as reference!  :) 

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y

    This is quite an interesting discussion and the topic can be polarizing...which usually means that what is right for one is not right for another and that each person should consult with their own counsel and make the decision most appropriate for them.

    I chime in with my experience because I think that the "what ifs" that people tend to think about aren't always the most likely things that you will encounter.  Take a look back at the experiences I shared on page 4 of this thread and note that no one, including the lawyers on the thread, in the following three pages has been able to answer my final question:  How did my entities help me in the situations I encountered?

    Don't get me wrong, I'm not entirely anti-entity.  I would be hypocritical if I said that entities don't serve a purpose because I have over 15 of them.  But I have them for a purpose (and that purpose was not asset protection).

    @Jerry W. very astutely pointed out the history of business entities.  I was planning to point this out but he did a better job than I would have.  You see, business entities were first developed to facilitate commerce not to avoid liability.  Yes, they offer the feature of some liability protection but that isn't their primary purpose.

    If you want to listen to music, you don't go out and buy a car.  Sure, the car has a sound system, but that's expensive overkill when what you need is a radio.  If, on the other hand, you need transportation, you go buy a car and while you drive from point A to point B you have the added pleasure of listening to some music along the way because that car came with that feature.  Same goes with business entities and liability protection.

    Several folks have debated the "YOU WILL GET SUED" statement.  I happen to agree with Scott that you will get sued.  I formed the opinion about ten years ago after having purchased about 200 properties and having the pleasure of two lawsuits that the ratio was one lawsuit for every 100 properties.  The future didn't disappoint, I'm now at 700+ properties and 7 lawsuits.  Here's the rub for newbies:  The 1 in a 100 suit could happen on your 100th property or it could be on your first property (for me it was my 13th which must be why that is an unlucky number).  If it happens on your 100th you can probably handle it but if a suit hits you on your first property it'll likely be your last property.

    @Jay Hinrichs brought up a good point on exposure.  3 of my suits (and the only ones that really cost me anything to defend) arose out of issues specific to buying property on the courthouse steps.  That's precisely why I don't recommend that newbies buy on the courthouse steps.  Don't buy there and you cut your risk by about half if my experience were to apply broadly (which it may or may not).  The ones that weren't specific to buying on the steps were either small claims which cost nothing to defend except wasted time or the defense was covered by insurance (the property theft claim after eviction, which by the way, has probably cost my insurer $100K to defend so far).

    @Steve B. states that he doesn't "have the faith some of you true believers do in the court system as to being the best arbitrator of determining what is "fair" and putting myself in a position to be reliant on their determination of my punishment rather then proactively protecting myself from their judgment."  If I came off as one of those in that camp, that was unintentional because I agree with Steve.  The case that I've spent over $170K to defend so far should have been over with for less than $5-$10K when we filed a demurrer and a motion to expunge the filed lis pendens in the first month of the case.  Instead, my motion was denied by a liberal judge who was arrested for DUI and removed from the bench a short time thereafter (obviously someone that doesn't exercise good judgment).  But then I was stuck in the case along for the ride for 4-1/2 years and after trial the new judge issued a ruling that basically could have been re-worded to say "why are you here, you shouldn't even be in this case".  My point isn't that we put all of our faith in the judiciary, my point is that people searching for answers on asset protection on BP may be looking for an answer to the wrong problem.  In my experience the cost of defense is a much bigger problem than judgments but your mileage may vary.

    @Seth Mosley then asked "Are there any measures that you guys would recommend for setting yourself up to lessen the chances of a lawsuit? IE - are there any kinds of clauses you can have in a contract with a property manager or contractors/ etc / or any other strategies you guys have used to make sure you're always on the side of what's right and ethical?"  The answer is yes.  Don't buy on the courthouse steps, do business honestly, don't violate the law, be careful what you say, use proper contracts, and get the advice of counsel when you aren't sure how to handle a situation.  You can't "lessen the chance of a lawsuit" by forming entities and filing liens on your property and all of that stuff.  Sure, one could argue that plaintiff's attorneys fish for assets when deciding whether to take a case and if it appears that you own nothing they won't bother suing you, but that hasn't been my experience either.  When I had my first lawsuit on property #13 I owned nothing but my primary residence that had no equity (the other properties I'd bought were all flipped and sold).  But again, your mileage may vary and that particular case wasn't a liability claim it was a property title claim.

    @Alexander Merritt says he doesn't have $170K laying around to defend a lawsuit.  My advice:  don't buy on the courthouse steps for one, and secondly, I've got no solution for you. If you get sued you can roll over or you can defend yourself.  Either option costs money and that is part of this business.  In my case, I had no choice but to defend myself because I just paid almost $250K in cash for a property and I couldn't sell it until I defended its title.  Fortunately for me the property went up in value $250K in the 4-1/2 years it has taken (so far) to defend the title but that should be a return on investment not reimbursement for costs.  And yes, @Jerry W. was right that it was owned in an entity but he was wrong that it was worth several million (I wish he was right!). 

    The vast majority of folks asking about asset protection on BP say something like this, "I'm going to wholesale my first property, should I set up an LLC first to protect my assets?"  While I believe that entity structure has a purpose, I believe that it's application is specific to the user and there is no one-size-fits-all approach...and that everyone needs to be honest with themselves and others about what problem they are trying to solve and how to solve it.  The first step is understanding what the problem really is, and I hope that my experiences have shed some light.

  • Real Estate Investor · CA, CA · Member since 2014 · 58 posts · 19 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brian Burke:

    ...  Fortunately for me the property went up in value $250K in the 4-1/2 years it has taken (so far) to defend the title but that should be a return on investment not reimbursement for costs....

     I'll betcha if it hadn't gone up in value the lawsuit would have evaporated years ago.

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ron P.:
    Originally posted by @Brian Burke:

    ...  Fortunately for me the property went up in value $250K in the 4-1/2 years it has taken (so far) to defend the title but that should be a return on investment not reimbursement for costs....

     I'll betcha if it hadn't gone up in value the lawsuit would have evaporated years ago.

    Not a chance, Ron...this wasn't about a value-grab it was about a foreclosed out homeowner that wanted his house back and I guess his lawyer wasn't skilled enough to realize that when a house sells to a Bonafide Purchaser for Value it is final and irrevocable.  Not only did the guy lose at trial, the judge awarded his lender $300K+ in attorney's fees because there was an attorney's fees provision in the note and deed of trust.  No love for me though...my costs are my expense despite the fact that I'm just the innocent guy stuck in the middle.  The lender will likely never collect on their $300K though.

  • Deer Park, TX · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    11y

    good information guys, I'm new to real estate investing. As a matter of fact, I'm still looking for my first deal. Just like the post said there are lots of mix information and I don't feel comfortable doing real estate until I have some form of asset protection in place. With that said, I was advise by a local asset protection lawyer to increase protection its best to have a S corp owing the LLC. He also said, properties that I keep should be under the S corp and properties for flipping should be held under the LLC. What are your thoughts?

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    @Brian Burke ". My point isn't that we put all of our faith in the judiciary, my point is that people searching for answers on asset protection on BP may be looking for an answer to the wrong problem. In my experience the cost of defense is a much bigger problem than judgments but your mileage may vary."

    Great point Brian! The question is definetely evolving in my mind...for me, now I'm thinking about what I might plan to have in place in the unlikely event we get sued with a large defense bill - where I'm at, being pretty new (7 properties totalling 19 units), I definetely would have big issues with a $170k defense bill. I'm thinking maybe having a heloc on my primary residence just left open for this case maybe? Any other strategies for this kind of "self insurance"? 

    Also, would this not be covered under an insurance policy? (Cost of defense)

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y

    As long as the claim is a covered risk your insurer should cover your cost of defense, @Seth Mosley .  In the case of the crazy lady that is suing for the "theft" of her property, our insurer is covering the cost of defense so I'm not out of pocket on that one.  The one that is costing me big time is a case where I'm defending my title to a property and that isn't a covered loss by insurance.  It would be if I had title insurance but you don't get the luxury of title insurance when you buy on the courthouse steps so this one is on me.  As I mentioned previously, you can cut you risk by a lot by avoiding buying at the courthouse steps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Franklin, TN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    Been learning a ton these past few days.

    On a real estate investors summit hearing from a couple great, experienced lawyers who deal a lot in real estate and asset protection/estate planning.

    its making so much more sense now i think.

    I'm going to have a private consult with an attorney tomorrow so i'll post what he says about my personal situation.

  • Ronald PerichPro Member
    Investor · Granite City, IL · Member since 2014 · 658 posts · 301 votes
    11y

    My wife is a recovering attorney. She and I decided a decade ago that it just wasn't a good fit for her. But something said to her many moons ago stuck, and I think it has some bearing on the conversation.

    Her former boss said, "In a lawsuit, you sue everybody who's involved with the problem and let the courts sort it out." He was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek, but it rang true to me.

    Do the best you can. Be smart and hire competent attorneys who will keep the tire-kickers at bay. Be ready for a legal battle at some time in your life. Don't knowingly do something unreasonable. Maybe you'll survive.

    Of course, if you believe what Harvey Silverglate believes, we all commit three felonies a day, so it's just a matter of time :)

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    So after reading this entire thread and being swayed on all different sides by mostly good points and debate, I'm still coming to the conclusion that Scott Smith's original strategy that was presented in his podcast was correct:

    Set up a Delaware Series LLC to be on title for flips

    Set up a Delaware Series LLC to be on title for holds

    Set up a Delaware Series LLC for operations

    Set up an LLC in your state that is owned by the Delaware Series LLC for operations

    That's a total of 4 entities.

    If I'm following Scott Smith's logic correctly on this, here are the benefits:

    1 - Delaware companies are anonymous, the only way to know who owns them is to file a lawsuit, so you don't know what assets are there to go after until you have already committed to the lawsuit.

    2 - At least in Washington State, you are required to register your business in Washington if you will be conducting business transactions (i.e. operations) in the state, and they require disclosing the ownership of the LLC. The ownership, however, can be another LLC from out of state, hence the Delaware Series LLC for operations to own the WA State LLC, to keep things anonymous.

    3 - Every series allows for pretty much unlimited separate, independent "cells" that are used for holding title on each property so there is no asset overlap and the liability risk is always kept only within the individual "cell" that is getting sued. It's treated as a separate LLC within the parent series LLC. In that regard, the liability of each asset is protected from eachother within the series.

    4 - You only have to file one set of taxes for each series LLC. This should solve all the problems for everyone that was complaining about having all the accounting and tax headaches of multiple LLCs (i.e. one per property), right?

    5 - By holding one series LLC for each category, you keep the types of taxes appropriately separated (capital gains taxes for flips, income taxes for holds) so the IRS can't tax you the higher of the two rates on all your properties.

    6 - By having a third operating LLC, you can run all funds, income, expenses, etc. through that company (like a property management company), so you only need one set of books (I'm not 100% clear how this works yet, I'll be talking to a CPA about this sometime in the near future), although you still need to account for the expenses of each property just like a property management company would anyway.

    7 - Every "cell" in a series LLC can have its own operating agreement, it's own set of ownership, it's own agreements with 3rd parties, profit splits, etc. etc. - essentially eliminating the need for new joint venture LLCs for every project with partnerships, etc. Do your own deal, or do deals with other people, every deal can be a different cell in the series LLC with it's own DBA. Just put flips in the flip series and holds in the hold series, and run all the money through the operating LLC.

    8 - When setting up a new cell for a new project, you don't have to do a new filing, you just add a DBA for that cell with minimal filing and pretty much no additional fee, making this process extremely simple - just have templates set up (I'm not sure on these details)

    9 - The operating company becomes more of the target for lawsuits because that's who renters make payments to and have disputes with, and it's the only local LLC. If they push to sue the ownership on title, the name on title is the name of the cell LLC (not the series LLC). I'm sure they could eventually figure it all out to sue the right people, but it's harder to figure out - the cell LLC is still anonymous, and it's in Delaware, so they have to sue in Delaware to sue the cell LLC, even though the partners may be in WA State or wherever. Again, they wouldn't know what assets are held before committing to the lawsuit. It's easier to sue the operating company, but the operating company doesn't own any of the assets. And it's also anonymous, since it's owned by another Delaware LLC. I don't know the details of the relationship between the operating LLC and the flipping series LLC, but I'm assuming there's a similar relationship where the money goes through the operating LLC and not the flipping series LLC.

    10 - Operate your rentals as an employee of the operating LLC (i.e. you work for the property management LLC when you are doing things like repairs, etc.) - that should separate you more legally and give more protection from anyone being able to go after your personal assets as though you've pierced the corporate veil - remember, the asset would be owned by the series LLC for holds, so it's not in your personal name.

    I'm probably missing a few points here.  I know Scott mentioned DSTs, I'm just not as familiar with how trusts work compared to business entities.

    I'm also sure I don't have everything right - I haven't actually done any of this, this is just my understanding / impressions so far, and I'll be looking into it more because I intend on doing different kinds of deals with various partner set ups, etc., and this does seem to simplify, protect and give me a lot of flexibility with any project type I want to try.

    I talked to a Delaware lawyer about the Delaware series LLCs, and the only flag he brought up was that series LLCs haven't been tested in courts much yet.  Delaware courts are more progressive for business laws since they are already used to Delaware's progressive business culture, but other states could still possibly throw out the series protection.  I thought California already basically doesn't recognize series LLCs.  So you probably have to research how your state is treating these to evaluate if you want to try it out.

    Two questions:

    @Brian Burke - You've done 700 properties - if the series LLC I've just outlined above is correct, doesn't that make sense for you, instead of separate individual LLCs for different properties? Wouldn't the series LLC strategy reduce accounting/tax/government filing headaches for someone investing in that many properties? In other words, what am I missing?

    @Seth Mosley - I'd love to hear about what you learned from the private consult you mentioned in your last post, and anything else you've learned since.

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 39 posts · 41 votes
    11y

    One more comment - this may not really solve the issue for someone purchasing their own home in their name and then at some point turning it into a rental. You probably wouldn't qualify for the loan to begin with unless you do it in your own name. And it might be harder to move it into an LLC if it's a Delaware series LLC - you might be more likely to be called on the note (DOS) than if you just create an LLC in your state that is in your name that you quitclaim the deed to. Either way, the loan has to be guaranteed by you personally, or I would think the lender would be much more likely to call the note. I don't know yet if there's a way to move a property like that into the series LLC strategy without that risk, I haven't explored that myself.

    So from that sense, maybe the guys arguing that you don't need an LLC have a point when it is someone that is just starting out and buying properties in their own name. How would you qualify otherwise?

    To be researched ...

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    11y

    @Ryan Murphy, the above nomenclature makes no sense for me to utilize in a flipping operation. If I am using an LLC for flipping anyway, which I do because there are investors involved, then all of that is unnecessary. When you are flipping houses, you are always buying and selling. If you sense even the most remote possibility that a lawsuit might be coming and you are concerned about asset protection as it relates to your other flips, just form another LLC , stop buying in the first LLC and sell off the flips during the normal course of business. Buy new flips in the new LLC. Beats doing brain damage on every purchase and sale, in my book. Your mileage may vary.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.