Will you do your own taxes this year?

Will you do your own taxes this year?

Investor · Maryville, IL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 81 votes

I have searched the forums and blogs on the subject, and it seems to be slightly leaning toward CPA/professional preparation.

I have used a professional for the last 10 years and each year, my costs have increased (we are charged by the form, so with more forms [more properties] comes more cost).  Because I have had what I believe to be competent preparation in the past, I am considering the option of using those previous returns as a customized guide for self preparation this year.

I may give up halfway through and decide to acquire a professional before the deadline next year, but I feel like it's something I should try.

I am aware of the business version of turbotax and I also saw a reference to taxact.com as a method for personal preparation.

  • My situation is:
  • I have 5 SFH all occupied. 1 was acquired this year (rehabbed then rented).
  • I have 1 duplex acquired this year (neither side rented yet - completing rehab and expect to rent in the last month of the year or first of 2017).
  • I have a full time job.
  • My wife has a part time job.
  • We are a sole proprietorship regarding the business organization.
  • My total cost for preparation last year was $865.

Please comment...will you:

  1. Use a professional for your tax preparation, yes or no?
  2. If no, what software, program, method will you use to prepare your taxes? 
  3. If yes, what do you expect to pay as SP?
  4. If you prepare your own taxes, what has been the biggest help, learning moment, best advice you would pass along to a fellow investor.

Thank you for your time, and as always, I appreciate this community, the encouragement, and advice!

1Reply
158 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Avilla, IN · Member since 2013 · 796 posts · 769 votes
9y
I have 61 rental units, two other deals I'm holding paper on, a small painting biz and a wife with a W2 job. My tax prep is about a grand a year. I guess maybe you should shop around but at the end of the day, I'll gladly pay a pro for tax prep. Just as I'll gladly pay someone else to clean apts and deal with toilet repairs. Assuming you want to grow your business you should be able to add more value to you business by using that time finding your next deal. Just my two cent.
See this reply in the discussion

78 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    I am kind of biased....but I think once you're past a couple rentals...(even before for most people)

    I'd recommend seeking a professional. I've been in public accounting for a whopping 3 years now...and I my self have had to file 4 amended returns that were incorrectly filed by H&R block, and 5 that were done incorrectly on Turbo tax. The last H&R block one the person incorrectly paid $23k in capital gains due to selling a home. They were thrilled to get that amended return filed ha

    The amount of items I need to "force" my software to do (to recreate how the return was originally filed )...because it wants to not let me...because it's so wrong blows my mind. Turbo tax lets you do a lot of things that aren't necessarily correct unfortunately and a non-tax professional would have no way of knowing that was the case. 

    Prices do tend to go up a little annually- That's kind of a standard. We don't necessarily bump up cost based on each additional property though. It's just a time thing. If you have a good CPA, you keep your books clean, they give you feedback on that/what will help them work faster, it shouldn't go up by much at all. 

    Edit: In response to the tread question though yep...I'll definitely do my own ;) 

  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    9y

    I have always had an accountant prepare my taxes even when I had 1 rental.  It looks much more professional presenting my taxes to a bank that have been prepared by a CPA.

    A lender reviewing the taxes of a corporation would be very skeptical of the CEO borrowing large sums of money if the taxes were prepared and signed by the CEO. 


    Franklin

  • Gardiner, ME · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 177 votes
    9y
    What other people do for taxes is not highly relevant unless they are in a similar situation to yours. I will echo that in your situation with 7 doors, and jobs on top of that you probably should be using a tax advisor. Not just someone who files your taxes but helps maximize your gains. Hopefully that tax advisor will also recommend you do some asset protection. Frankly, the idea of being a sole prop with such a juicy target would make a lawyer salivate. They can take all of your units plus your home and garnish your wages. That's not a good place to save money.
  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    I made my first purchase this year and plan on doing my own taxes. I've historically done them using Turbotax but believe it is about time I handled them completely myself. I'm a CPA but never been in tax. I still have a basic understanding given college classes and studying for the exam.
  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    @Thomas Graham Are you planning to file them on paper?  If you're not utilizing turbo tax what software are you going to use for filing?

  • Investor · Fort Bragg, NC · Member since 2016 · 59 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    @Kurt Gardner  In my opinion, as both an enrolled agent and a real estate investor.  The value in having a professional prepare your taxes is the insight I provide to my clients.  So understanding tax rules and real estate investing intimately allows me to spot areas to save money on, areas that may be problematic and prevent my client from being blind sided.  Also as an enrolled agent, in the case one of my clients tax returns gets selected for an audit I can respresent the client in front of the IRS and take care of that. 

  • Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 31 votes
    9y
    Natalie Kolodij I currently plan to go the paper route unless there is another cheap/free alternative. I originally set my spreadsheets up to match the Schedule C so I'm hoping for a pretty straight forward return.
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Justin Fox:
    Originally posted by @Cary F.:

    @Kurt Gardner @Justin Fox @Steve Vaughan

    Are you going to do your own dental work or surgery as well??? Haha...

    My wife is a dental hygienist and cleans my teeth at the house.  My brother in law is a physician and does my well checks.

     I hope your uncle is not a proctologist...

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I will definitely be much more involved this year. Tax prep office "missed" that we lived in two states. I ended up sending out over a grand in checks when I was owed money. Now I'm enjoying the process of ammended returns etc. 

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    100% having a CPA do them.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    same accountant 25 years.. far to complicated to even remotely take this on.. plus not my area of expertise and I have been audited about 4 times.. and I never even answer the letter I just hand it to him.. he goes meets with those nice folks I have never been dinged usually only cost me a few grand for him to take care of it.. I probably spend in excess of 30k a year in accounting maybe close to 40k. its simply a business expense and I leave that to the professionals... Even at that I have a full time booker on my staff that then gives the info to my accountant.. so I am paying closer to 75k a year to keep all this stuff straight ..... :) 

    But if I just had rentals like you guys and that's all I did I could probably have my gal do a turbo tax..

    my last CFO did turbo tax for all her relatives...

  • Sean H.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2010 · 224 posts · 75 votes
    9y

    I have a CPA do them.  You have to understand the tax return process, at least well enough to ask the right questions, but there's too much at stake not to use a professional.   

  • Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mike Dymski:
    Originally posted by @Justin Fox:
    Originally posted by @Cary F.:

    @Kurt Gardner @Justin Fox @Steve Vaughan

    Are you going to do your own dental work or surgery as well??? Haha...

    My wife is a dental hygienist and cleans my teeth at the house.  My brother in law is a physician and does my well checks.

     I hope your uncle is not a proctologist...

     He's an anesthesiologist, no telling what he does to me.

  • Investor · Maryville, IL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 81 votes
    9y

    Ok, @Justin Fox and @Mike Dymski hilarious stuff.  Thanks guys!

    One of the biggest takeaways I've seen so far is the risk to the business to go it alone @Scott Vance @Andrew Ware @Jay Hinrichs @Natalie Kolodij.

    An audit can be a scary thing, not because I'm afraid they'll find something I did unscrupulously, but something stupidly filed that will bite me in the end.

    I must say I cringe at the figures Jay mentioned, however, I've always proclaimed I would love to be the person who pays over $100k in taxes (it only points to a larger number).

    I'm losing some of my gumption for doing this myself and feeling a little more impetus to seek a new professional.  As I previously mentioned, the one I used the last two years left me wanting for that "consultation" and "service" factor and instead gave me a big ole bill that I wasn't prepared for.

    Thank you, all, for the time and great advice. 

  • Investor · Maryville, IL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 81 votes
    9y

    and @Sean H., don't want to exclude a member of my advisory board!

    you guys all get your salary doubled this year!

  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    9y

    @Kurt Gardner I am currently vetting CPAs as well.  When I was replying last night, I was filling out an organizer that one sent in preparation for a intake consultation tomorrow.  The vetting process is taking me longer than I would like but I also want the right solution from the start (which includes bookkeeping, whether I keep it or outsource).  If you go through the interview process, you may gain some clarity either direction...to keep in-house or to outsource.  Finding the right CPA is more about finding the right fit for your situation as they play in different spaces within the market.  If you find one that works primarily with individuals or companies that are much larger than you, the fee structure will reveal that right away and it may not be the best fit.  On the flip side, if you are one of their largest clients, they may lack the experience you need for your portfolio.  I found one that I really liked but the scope of services and fee structure were misaligned with my situation.  If you don't mind, keep me posted if you end up selecting someone that works with clients in different states.

  • Investor · Huntsville, TX · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 65 votes
    9y
    I've never met an accountant that added value that I didn't know already. Turbo tax and little study all u need I think. Accountants count money few make a lot of money. I know more let them do my books then I'd let my real estate agent buy my rental houses. Maybe others have had better experience. Count your own money
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Kurt Gardner  Oh my friend I only wish I paid 100k a year in tax's that's about what I pay to DO my accounting and Tax's  we have gross revenues in the 25 million range per year  LOL...

    @Steve Vaughan  I am a the complete opposite end of the scale as Steve vis a vi who pays what to uncle... Someone dog gone it has to pay for all the Section 8  welfare  illegals that use our emergency rooms with no insurance you know.. someone has to pay for all that.. and its the small size bizzness guy like me who bares the brunt...

  • Jim KennedyPro Member
    Accountant · Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 201 votes
    9y

    I think investors should have licensed experts with industry-specific experience because here are so many moving parts to real estate - entity selection, taxes from different investment vehicles, proper forms, reducing audit risk, and so on. (See my anecdote/nightmare at the bottom for DIY results) . If for no other reason than having somebody else do that gives you hours more time to make money in real estate. Delegate, delegate, delegate!

    As a CPA I am required to take 60 hours of required continuing education, but usually take more than that. ax codes change annually, and it takes a lot to stay on top.

    These are some of the standard issues with which your CPA should possess significant real estate expertise: Deprecation, accelerated depreciation thru fully documented cost segregation, taxation of flips, income fro tax liens, tax impact of lease-to-own, settlement sheet analysis to determine proper adjusted basis and pick up current period deductible expenses, rules around passive activity loss limitations and how that is offset by being a full time real estate investors under Internal Revenue Code section 469(e) et seq, buy-and-hold deal analysis for sensibility and profitability, maximizing flip income, defining and avoiding the "dealer" tag, and how to minimize tax if you do, how to use real estate for all of your retirement, or as a centerpiece, or at least as a component, how, if and when to use your real estate to finance your kids' (or your) college education. and most important he should know all four jokes that exist in accounting 

    I will actually be covering ALL of this and more when I deliver a three hour seminar on Sat. Jan. 7th in Cherry Hill NJ as part of the Real Estate 101 educational series put on by the South Jersey Real Estate Investor's Association (SJREIA). I've been a member for 12 years, and I've been an investor for 12 years, an accountant for 24 years, 14 of them as a CPA, so I will combine my CPA expertise with my landlord experience with my experience from the IRS as a tax examiner then from working in the IRS Criminal Investigation Division (CID). 

    DIY results: Several years ago, an investor engaged me to represent him in an IRS audit. His self-prepared return indicated he had bought a rental property for $175,000 and expensed it all in one year, rather than depreciating it over 27.5 as mandated under the Internal Revenue Code. It offset all his paycheck income and he got a five figure return. Untill the IRS caught up - $32,000 of income tax, $6,400 accuracy related penalty, and $800 of interest. THe client did not know he had to depreciate it, so I got almost all of the penalty abated, and he went into a payment plan, but in a DIY situation, you can really bite yourself in the asset!

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Gerald Peters:

    I've never met an accountant that added value that I didn't know already. Turbo tax and little study all u need I think. Accountants count money few make a lot of money. I know more let them do my books then I'd let my real estate agent buy my rental houses. Maybe others have had better experience. Count your own money

     This is a borderline offensive comment. 

    I'm pretty sure a masters degree in taxation and passing an exam that in most states is harder than the Bar exam qualifies us to do a little more than "count money" 

    But hey- shoot me your email and next time I'm stumped on something I'll make sure to ask you. 

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    $6,400 accuracy related penalty, and $800 of interest. THe client did not know he had to depreciate it, so I got almost all of the penalty abated, and he went into a payment plan, but in a DIY situation, you can really bite yourself in the asset!

    I would love to read this abatement letter.  

    I got to use "pregnancy brain" as a defense for a gal- that was literally why she forgot to mail her quarterly payments. I was like...is that what you want me to tell them? She said yes. And it worked. Penalty abated. ha  

  • Investor · Huntsville, TX · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    Natalie do you own rental properties?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Natalie Kolodij:
    Originally posted by @Gerald Peters:

    I've never met an accountant that added value that I didn't know already. Turbo tax and little study all u need I think. Accountants count money few make a lot of money. I know more let them do my books then I'd let my real estate agent buy my rental houses. Maybe others have had better experience. Count your own money

     This is a borderline offensive comment. 

    I'm pretty sure a masters degree in taxation and passing an exam that in most states is harder than the Bar exam qualifies us to do a little more than "count money" 

    But hey- shoot me your email and next time I'm stumped on something I'll make sure to ask you. 

     LOL, Natalie.  I would be curious if Gerald does make his services available to you!

    2 extremes (a view and an example) just posted so I had to come back.  That and Jay summoning me :) 

    Blanket, close-minded statements always are what they are.  Very few of us feel the same way about accountants, even if we muddle through it ourselves.  An expert tax pro is an important part of any team.  Some of us just kinda drifted into a large operation slowly over time. Change is unknown and a bit scary.

    As for the example of the bonehead that depreciated his entire investment (improvements AND land?) over 1 year, of course they need a tax pro.  

    Both conditions are outliers of the stastical average or the norm and should be cast aside!

  • Investor · Huntsville, TX · Member since 2015 · 42 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    So you get an accountant. The account will recommend you get a book keeper. Then they will recommend asset protection. So you start with more insurance...umbrella policy maybe... then  people will scare you with you might be sued...So you need a lawyer. He will say could could easily sued so you need to form a entity. Which results in you filing another set of tax returns which means you pay your account and often your State more. Soon you share most of your profits with all the "professionals" you surround yourself with.

  • Natalie KolodijBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Tax Strategist| National Tax Educator| Accepting New Clients · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    9y

    ....Yep. That's literally how having a team of professionals to help you run a business works. I would say the majority of people on here agree that it's pretty crucial to have a qualified team of experts if you want to scale at all. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.