bank won't let me transfer to LLC

bank won't let me transfer to LLC

Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes

The bank holding my mortgage has informed me that they have made a business decision to not allow properties to be transferred to LLC's. I have gone back and forth wether or not an LLC is needed, but after doing some research I have decided I would like to separate my rental properties from my personal finances.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? What would be the best way to solve it?

Thanks for any input!

2Reply
207 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2017 · 189 posts · 127 votes
7y
@Mikael Lickteig I have owned several properties and never used an LLC because it really doesn’t protect you in the end. What protects you is insurance, insurance, and then more insurance. Look into an umbrella policy that deals with owners of rental properties and you will be fine. You can get an umbrella policy for 5 million that is inexpensive.
See this reply in the discussion

28 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2017 · 189 posts · 127 votes
    7y
    @Mikael Lickteig I have owned several properties and never used an LLC because it really doesn’t protect you in the end. What protects you is insurance, insurance, and then more insurance. Look into an umbrella policy that deals with owners of rental properties and you will be fine. You can get an umbrella policy for 5 million that is inexpensive.
  • Attorney · Brainerd, MN · Member since 2015 · 18 posts · 13 votes
    7y

    Hey Mikael, 

    I am assuming the bank would want you a personal guarantor. Perhaps remaining a guarantor on the loan would allow you to transfer title. After all you want to have the liability protection of the LLC.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Mohammed El-Bashir thank you! That was my original question with the bank if I could personally guarantee the loan and they still would not budge.
  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Eric A. I have tried to get Umbrella policy with my current agent and he insists my 1 million dollar liability insurance is plenty on this property. I am thinking about switching agents
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2017 · 189 posts · 127 votes
    7y
    @Mikael Lickteig I would definitely change agents. They aren’t a very lucrative commission for most agents so they are not thrilled with them. You can easily get a 5 million dollar umbrella policy.
  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    @Mikael Lickteig. This is pretty common occuramcs and usually creates more headaches then it’s worth to use a llc. There’s a million threads on this
  • Carl FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ambler, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mikael Lickteig

    Ask for permission or beg for forgiveness? Don’t ask don’t tell?

  • Investor · Broward County, FL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    7y

    Create a Land Trust where you are still the beneficiary. Transfer the title of your property with a warranty deed to the Land Trust. The Garn St Germain Act will protect you against any due on sale clause from your mortgage company.

    Later on, you will assign your beneficial interest in the land trust to your LLC. As this assignment is not recorded, your bank won't know about it.

  • Leclaire, IA · Member since 2016 · 161 posts · 130 votes
    7y
    @Mikael Lickteig Go looking for a new bank.
  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    7y
    @Mike S. Wouldn’t they see the name on the insurance in the LLC instead of my name?
  • Investor · Broward County, FL · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Mikael Lickteig:
    @Mike S. Wouldn’t they see the name on the insurance in the LLC instead of my name?

    The name insured for your property will be the Land Trust. You will add the LLC as additional insured.

  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    @Mikael Lickteig I just transferred 4 of my bank owned properties over to my newly created LLC last summer. I didn’t tell them or even think about telling them. I’m wondering if my mortgage company will object. Do I need to tell them? My insurance company (Allstate) said they didn’t care if the properties are in my name or the LLC. They said they prefer them being in my name. Not sure if I really needed to form an LLC. I have 6 rentals and figured that would protect me in case something happens.
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 530 posts · 398 votes
    7y
    @Mike S. Never heard of this before. Thank you for your reply!
  • Accountant · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2017 · 409 posts · 362 votes
    7y
    @Eric A. Insurance is important, but it is not a catch all. All the insurance company has to do is show how the claim is invalid due to xyz clause of your policy... Bottom line: insurance is 1 part of a good asset protection strategy. An entity, trusts, and proactive thinking are other parts. Check out @Scott Smith blog posts.
  • Real Estate Broker · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 121 posts · 81 votes
    7y
    Use a trust to protect your identity then transfer beneficial interest to your LLC.
  • Rental Property Investor · St. Augustine, FL · Member since 2017 · 189 posts · 127 votes
    7y
    @Donald S. thanks for the reply and I agree with you when you have a large portfolio of properties. I won’t go into my own personal experience but trust me I know. If someone has a handful of properties it’s a waste of time. Also, there were a bunch of gurus years ago hawking asset protection courses and they all went away. Why? It really wasn’t needed in the end.
  • Carl FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ambler, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Mikael Lickteig

    I use the @Mike S. approach. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Hawthorne, CA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    @Mikael Lickteig Put your assets (not your leveraged properties) in an LLC. That should protect them in almost any case that doesn’t involve fraud.
  • Rental Property Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 971 votes
    7y

    @Mikael Lickteig - Use @Mike S. suggestion + this diagram to help you in your quest:

  • Scott SmithPro Member
    Attorney · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 932 votes
    7y

    Thank you, @Donald S.

    @Mikael Lickteig You are on the right track with wanting to separate your assets from your personal name. The single biggest way investors get sued is by holding investment properties in their own names. The post Donald is referring to is this one: www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/llc-lending-probl...

    It explains how to use a land trust to keep your personal financing intact while executing a transfer ideally with the assistance of a qualified real estate attorney to an LLC or Series LLC structure.

  • Investor · Saint Peters, MO · Member since 2016 · 88 posts · 23 votes
    7y

    What is considered a hand full or a large amount of rental properties?  Is there a break point?  We have 4 not counting our own house. Were renting and try to keep 1 flip running. 

    Thanks

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y
    Quote from @John Morgan:
    @Mikael Lickteig I just transferred 4 of my bank owned properties over to my newly created LLC last summer. I didn’t tell them or even think about telling them. I’m wondering if my mortgage company will object. Do I need to tell them? My insurance company (Allstate) said they didn’t care if the properties are in my name or the LLC. They said they prefer them being in my name. Not sure if I really needed to form an LLC. I have 6 rentals and figured that would protect me in case something happens.
    Will create a technical default, which will make bank sell your loans to another bank and they might seize your properties. Is basically you are cheating bussiness. They gave you the money, not the LLC. Thing is like too much fake information on the internet regarding protecting assets. Get a full strong landlord insurance, and you are legally protected all directions. Fire, death on the tenants GOD forbid, accidents, etc are insurance covered , better than relying on LLC. LLC information is full of BS. If you have LLC you maybe 50% protect your personal and losse you bussiness. But my idea is , why to loose bussiness to start with? No matter what incidents to have plan strongly legally, to have all your personal and bussiness assets fully protected.
  • John MorganPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Grand Prairie, TX · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Avenir Struga:
    Quote from @John Morgan:
    @Mikael Lickteig I just transferred 4 of my bank owned properties over to my newly created LLC last summer. I didn’t tell them or even think about telling them. I’m wondering if my mortgage company will object. Do I need to tell them? My insurance company (Allstate) said they didn’t care if the properties are in my name or the LLC. They said they prefer them being in my name. Not sure if I really needed to form an LLC. I have 6 rentals and figured that would protect me in case something happens.
    Will create a technical default, which will make bank sell your loans to another bank and they might seize your properties. Is basically you are cheating bussiness. They gave you the money, not the LLC. Thing is like too much fake information on the internet regarding protecting assets. Get a full strong landlord insurance, and you are legally protected all directions. Fire, death on the tenants GOD forbid, accidents, etc are insurance covered , better than relying on LLC. LLC information is full of BS. If you have LLC you maybe 50% protect your personal and losse you bussiness. But my idea is , why to loose bussiness to start with? No matter what incidents to have plan strongly legally, to have all your personal and bussiness assets fully protected.
    I agree with you on this. Since then, my bank found out I put them in an LLC. I asked them if they wanted me to deed them back to my personal name and they said no, that’s ok. But told me not to buy any more in my personal name and switch them over. Lol.  I’ve since tapped out with 10 conventional and loans and have put the rest in my personal name. But have bought 7 with my LLC with non qm or commercial loans since they don’t let you buy in your personal name. 
  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    bottom line is, is not worthed to make your mind work so hard, instead of paying insurance, you will pay lawyers and accountants with so many different LLC's which will take a lot of time , money,, and still you wont have peace of mind. Remember, you can't outsmart the laws of united States federal or states. So bite what you can chew, rather smaller profit and for sure goes to your pocket, than a little higher profit and you have to think for a future claim, law suit, bank seizing properties or even IRS in the future knocking you down. The way i think is that if my profit is $100 a month, i want to make sure stays on my bigger pockets for life without any reason coming out. I wish you luck and a lot of safe wealth.

  • Member since 2021 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    At $25000 a year expense cap, it means max of expenses per each multifamily or is all total you can claim for the year?

    Does this $25000 expense a year includes amortization, mortgage Interest, bills, or do these are additional on top of $25000? 

    i keep changing a lot of accountants because they are not fully professional the way they advertise themselves

    please advise if know .

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.