New Section 8 Investor in Ohio

Akron, OhioWantProfessionalsAgent
Classifieds

New Section 8 Investor in Ohio

Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 10 votes

Hey Everyone,

I'm a new out-of-state investor steps away from purchasing my first investment property in Akron, Ohio to be rented on Section 8. I already have a pre-approval letter and now looking for a great agent, property manager, contractor, and friend/mentor. Any advice or recommendation would be absolutely appreciated!

Best,
Matin

7Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Patrick DruryBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
2y

@Matin Tabibian
If you are looking at Northeast Ohio in Akron I would check out Cleveland as well. In Cleveland, I would recommend being in areas on the West Side of Cleveland like West Blvd, Cudell, Old Brooklyn, Clark Fulton, Edgewater, Jefferson, and Brooklyn Centre. The reason is the rent-to-price ratio is good so you can cash flow, and most of the West side doesn’t have a Point of sale inspection which is really annoying.

See this reply in the discussion

22 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Matin Tabibian
    If you are looking at Northeast Ohio in Akron I would check out Cleveland as well. In Cleveland, I would recommend being in areas on the West Side of Cleveland like West Blvd, Cudell, Old Brooklyn, Clark Fulton, Edgewater, Jefferson, and Brooklyn Centre. The reason is the rent-to-price ratio is good so you can cash flow, and most of the West side doesn’t have a Point of sale inspection which is really annoying.

  • Min ZhangBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Hey Martin! Welcome aboard! I recommend reading “Long-Distance Real Estate Investing: How to Buy, Rehab, and Manage Out-of-State Rental Properties” - I found it to be very helpful when I got started investing 2.5 years ago.

    Here is a summary of the book.

    https://www.nateliason.com/notes/long-distance-real-estate-investing-david-greene

    The book also mentions the importance of having a rockstar Realtor, contractor, lender, and property manager.

    I invest locally in Ohio. I can send you a list of contacts in Ohio to help you build your team! Let me know how I can help!

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matin Tabibian:

    Hey Everyone,

    I'm a new out-of-state investor steps away from purchasing my first investment property in Akron, Ohio to be rented on Section 8. I already have a pre-approval letter and now looking for a great agent, property manager, contractor, and friend/mentor. Any advice or recommendation would be absolutely appreciated!

    Best,
    Matin


     Welcome to the Ohio market!

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matin Tabibian:

    Hey Everyone,

    I'm a new out-of-state investor steps away from purchasing my first investment property in Akron, Ohio to be rented on Section 8. I already have a pre-approval letter and now looking for a great agent, property manager, contractor, and friend/mentor. Any advice or recommendation would be absolutely appreciated!

    Best,
    Matin


     That's great, Matin. My sister-in-law went to school in Akron. It's a good city for cashflow. 

  • Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 340 posts · 215 votes
    2y

    Hi, I am a Realtor in Ohio if you have any questions please feel free to contact me. Thanks!

    Regina Blake-Ohio Realtor

  • Realtor · Columbus Ohio, Cleveland Ohio · Member since 2022 · 849 posts · 830 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matin Tabibian:

    Hey Everyone,

    I'm a new out-of-state investor steps away from purchasing my first investment property in Akron, Ohio to be rented on Section 8. I already have a pre-approval letter and now looking for a great agent, property manager, contractor, and friend/mentor. Any advice or recommendation would be absolutely appreciated!

    Best,
    Matin


    Hey Matin, welcome to BiggerPockets! You should also consider checking out Cleveland as well! It offers a strong real estate market with great potential for cash flow, specially for investors looking into Section 8 properties. You will find some interesting opportunities there.

  • Samuel DioufBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    That's a great plan for high cash-flow. I have seen plenty of deals over there under $50k. I can send you a map that has Akron graded from an A-F scale.

  • Jessica LarsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 108 posts · 96 votes
    2y

    @Matin Tabibian Welcome to the Akron area! We are one of the top property management companies in the Cleveland/Akron area, AND we work with a phenomenal sales team in house who specializes in working with investors. Would be happy to chat further!

    Haven Group Property Management11 Review
  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matin Tabibian:

    Hey Everyone,

    I'm a new out-of-state investor steps away from purchasing my first investment property in Akron, Ohio to be rented on Section 8. I already have a pre-approval letter and now looking for a great agent, property manager, contractor, and friend/mentor. Any advice or recommendation would be absolutely appreciated!

    Best,
    Matin


     HoltonWise is the number 1 name in the game when it comes to Akron property management. CLICK HERE to talk shop with your team about your portfolio.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    2y

    @Matin Tabibian you should speak with @James Wise

    Logical Property Management4.9453 Reviews
  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 96 posts · 74 votes
    2y

    Hi, @Matin Tabibian please check your inbox to connect for PM services. Thanks.

  • Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2022 · 80 posts · 48 votes
    2y

    B2B Property Management is the fastest-growing company in Ohio. Connect with Josh for a 5% PM fee, single point of contact, placement guarantees, section 8 experience, and a bunch more. Check out the site here for info and pricing.

  • Brittany MinocchiBusiness Member
    Lender · Massillon, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 486 votes
    2y

    Hey Matin - 

    Congrats on taking the first steps! Happy to send you info for a couple of agents and property managers if you're still in need. As for the friend/mentor, I'm a mortgage broker and investor local to the area so you're welcome to reach out any time! 

    Brittany Minocchi - Barrett Financial Group, LLC522 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @Patrick Drury
    Thanks for the insight, Patrick! That's valuable information. I'll definitely explore Cleveland as well and check out the areas you mentioned on the West Side. Avoiding Point of Sale inspections is definitely a plus. I appreciate your input!

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @Min Zhang
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Min! I really appreciate the recommendation and the summary of the book. It sounds like a valuable resource. Could you please send me the list of contacts in Ohio? That would be incredibly helpful as I build my team.

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @Simon Ashbaugh@Simon Ashbaugh
    Hey Simon, Thanks for the warm welcome and the suggestion! I appreciate your input on Cleveland. I've heard it's another promising market, so I'll definitely take a closer look. Have you had any personal experience investing there?

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @Samuel Diouf
    Thanks, Samuel! That would be incredibly helpful. Please do send over the map whenever you get a chance. Looking forward to seeing it!

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @Jessica Larson
    Thanks for the warm welcome, Jessica! Your property management company sounds like just what I'm looking for. I'd love to chat further about your services and your sales team's expertise in working with investors. When would be a good time for us to connect?

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @James Wise
    Thanks for the recommendation, James! I've reached out to HoltonWise to discuss my portfolio. Appreciate the tip!

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @Carla Kordab
    Thanks, Carla! I appreciate the recommendation. I've reached out to B2B Property Management and look forward to connecting with Josh. Their services sound exactly like what I'm looking for.

  • Member since 2023 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    2y

    @Brittany Minocchi
    Thank you so much, Brittany! I'm still in the process of finding the right agents and property managers, so your referrals would be immensely helpful. Your dual expertise as a mortgage broker and investor is incredibly valuable—I'll definitely be reaching out to pick your brain and gain some insights. Looking forward to connecting soon!

  • Joshua JanusBusiness Member
    Realtor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Matin Tabibian:

    Hey Everyone,

    I'm a new out-of-state investor steps away from purchasing my first investment property in Akron, Ohio to be rented on Section 8. I already have a pre-approval letter and now looking for a great agent, property manager, contractor, and friend/mentor. Any advice or recommendation would be absolutely appreciated!

    Best,
    Matin


     Glad you are coming to Ohio, Matin!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.