Best Strategy for $200K Gift From Parent – Looking for Advice

Best Strategy for $200K Gift From Parent – Looking for Advice

Dominic EmoryPro Member
Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 6 votes

Hey BP Community,

I could use some insight on the best way to approach a financial gift situation.

My fiance's mother wants to gift her around $200K for real estate investing. From what I understand, the annual gift tax excludes $18K per person (2025 limit), and anything above that either gets reported against her lifetime estate/gift exemption or requires some additional planning.

I’m trying to figure out the most tax-efficient and practical strategy here. Options I’ve seen mentioned:

  • Splitting the gift across multiple years

  • Structuring part of it as a loan (and possibly forgiving later)

  • Using a 529 plan contribution (not really applicable in my case but curious if relevant to others)

  • Setting up a trust or custodial structure

  • Or just taking the lump sum and filing the gift tax form, since it would fall under her lifetime exemption anyway

The goal is to use the money toward real estate investing—either as down payments on rentals or possibly paying off some existing debt.

Has anyone here gone through something similar? What’s the smartest way to handle a large one-time gift like this to minimize headaches down the road? Also, are there creative strategies I might be overlooking?

Appreciate any advice or firsthand experiences. I’ll be talking to a CPA and possibly an estate attorney, but wanted to get the BiggerPockets perspective first.

1Reply
156 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Dominic Emory:

Hey BP Community,

I could use some insight on the best way to approach a financial gift situation.

My fiance's mother wants to gift her around $200K for real estate investing. From what I understand, the annual gift tax excludes $18K per person (2025 limit), and anything above that either gets reported against her lifetime estate/gift exemption or requires some additional planning.

I’m trying to figure out the most tax-efficient and practical strategy here. Options I’ve seen mentioned:

  • Splitting the gift across multiple years

  • Structuring part of it as a loan (and possibly forgiving later)

  • Using a 529 plan contribution (not really applicable in my case but curious if relevant to others)

  • Setting up a trust or custodial structure

  • Or just taking the lump sum and filing the gift tax form, since it would fall under her lifetime exemption anyway

The goal is to use the money toward real estate investing—either as down payments on rentals or possibly paying off some existing debt.

Has anyone here gone through something similar? What’s the smartest way to handle a large one-time gift like this to minimize headaches down the road? Also, are there creative strategies I might be overlooking?

Appreciate any advice or firsthand experiences. I’ll be talking to a CPA and possibly an estate attorney, but wanted to get the BiggerPockets perspective first.

.
Look, I'm a very simple guy. Mom becomes the money investor. She lends money. They use Title Reports, Escrow and standard practices. They make payments to her, they take proper tax write offs, treat it like a business. She can gift it to them in her Trust, tax free.

Meanwhile, they do all the work and are paid a fee to manage it for her. If Love & Trust are inherent in the relationship, it works just fine. If a little money is going to ruin the relationship, give them the money, take the tax hit and work on the relationship.

Another option is for mom to actually buy the properties, hold them until she passes, they get left to the kids tax free.
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Josh St LaurentBusiness Member
    Financial Advisor · Stateline, NV · Member since 2023 · 131 posts · 122 votes
    1y

    @Dominic Emory really good question actually. Without getting too bogged down in the details my opinion would be to file the gift tax form. Here's why:

    2025 gift tax limit is 19k and if your fiancé's mother is married that could be 38k. The remainder (181k or 162k) would subtract from the lifetime limit of 14 million roughly. So unless she is likely to pass away with more than that amount she wouldn't need to worry about any sort of tax. 

    There are exceptions where some states have drastically lower limits. For example if she lived in OR the limit is only 1 million. And the 181k would bring this down to 819k. So it is nuanced but if her net worth isn't in jeopardy of putting her over the estate tax exemption for her state I would go for it and file form 709.

    If she is over the estate tax limit for her state..that's Pandora's box, lots of strategies there, but the less likely scenario. Hope this helps, if you want to add any details I'm happy to elaborate. 

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Dominic Emory:

    Hey BP Community,

    I could use some insight on the best way to approach a financial gift situation.

    My fiance's mother wants to gift her around $200K for real estate investing. From what I understand, the annual gift tax excludes $18K per person (2025 limit), and anything above that either gets reported against her lifetime estate/gift exemption or requires some additional planning.

    I’m trying to figure out the most tax-efficient and practical strategy here. Options I’ve seen mentioned:

    • Splitting the gift across multiple years

    • Structuring part of it as a loan (and possibly forgiving later)

    • Using a 529 plan contribution (not really applicable in my case but curious if relevant to others)

    • Setting up a trust or custodial structure

    • Or just taking the lump sum and filing the gift tax form, since it would fall under her lifetime exemption anyway

    The goal is to use the money toward real estate investing—either as down payments on rentals or possibly paying off some existing debt.

    Has anyone here gone through something similar? What’s the smartest way to handle a large one-time gift like this to minimize headaches down the road? Also, are there creative strategies I might be overlooking?

    Appreciate any advice or firsthand experiences. I’ll be talking to a CPA and possibly an estate attorney, but wanted to get the BiggerPockets perspective first.

    .
    Look, I'm a very simple guy. Mom becomes the money investor. She lends money. They use Title Reports, Escrow and standard practices. They make payments to her, they take proper tax write offs, treat it like a business. She can gift it to them in her Trust, tax free.

    Meanwhile, they do all the work and are paid a fee to manage it for her. If Love & Trust are inherent in the relationship, it works just fine. If a little money is going to ruin the relationship, give them the money, take the tax hit and work on the relationship.

    Another option is for mom to actually buy the properties, hold them until she passes, they get left to the kids tax free.
  • Julius VincentBusiness Member
    Tax Strategist | CPA, MBA + Wharton FP&A | CFO-Level Planning · Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 157 posts · 172 votes
    1y

    Hey @Dominic Emory - Unless mom has an estate up in the eight figures, the cleanest and most tax-efficient option is usually just to take the lump sum and file the gift tax return (Form 709). No actual tax is due. It just chips away at her lifetime exemption, which is over $14M per person in 2025. Splitting it across years or calling it a loan tends to create more paperwork and audit risk than it saves.

    Horizon Wealth & Tax Advisors510 Reviews
  • USA · Member since 2023 · 145 posts · 84 votes
    1y

    @Dominic Emory I'd agree that simplest if the lifetime exemption isn't an issue down the road is to just gift the entire amount. But all perspectives here I felt are valid. 

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Yes - I'd look to file the 709 and take as one lump sum. That'd be the cleanest way and less paperwork. 

  • Investor · Get yourself trained before doing something inadvisable. · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Dominic Emory:

    Hey BP Community,

    I could use some insight on the best way to approach a financial gift situation.

    My fiance's mother wants to gift her around $200K for real estate investing. From what I understand, the annual gift tax excludes $18K per person (2025 limit), and anything above that either gets reported against her lifetime estate/gift exemption or requires some additional planning.

    I’m trying to figure out the most tax-efficient and practical strategy here. Options I’ve seen mentioned:

    • Splitting the gift across multiple years

    • Structuring part of it as a loan (and possibly forgiving later)

    • Using a 529 plan contribution (not really applicable in my case but curious if relevant to others)

    • Setting up a trust or custodial structure

    • Or just taking the lump sum and filing the gift tax form, since it would fall under her lifetime exemption anyway

    The goal is to use the money toward real estate investing—either as down payments on rentals or possibly paying off some existing debt.

    Has anyone here gone through something similar? What’s the smartest way to handle a large one-time gift like this to minimize headaches down the road? Also, are there creative strategies I might be overlooking?

    Appreciate any advice or firsthand experiences. I’ll be talking to a CPA and possibly an estate attorney, but wanted to get the BiggerPockets perspective first.

    .
    So, is future Mother-in-law sophisticated and accredited or is she just a generous sweetie?
    • Dominic EmoryPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 6 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Ken M.:
      Quote from @Dominic Emory:

      Hey BP Community,

      I could use some insight on the best way to approach a financial gift situation.

      My fiance's mother wants to gift her around $200K for real estate investing. From what I understand, the annual gift tax excludes $18K per person (2025 limit), and anything above that either gets reported against her lifetime estate/gift exemption or requires some additional planning.

      I’m trying to figure out the most tax-efficient and practical strategy here. Options I’ve seen mentioned:

      • Splitting the gift across multiple years

      • Structuring part of it as a loan (and possibly forgiving later)

      • Using a 529 plan contribution (not really applicable in my case but curious if relevant to others)

      • Setting up a trust or custodial structure

      • Or just taking the lump sum and filing the gift tax form, since it would fall under her lifetime exemption anyway

      The goal is to use the money toward real estate investing—either as down payments on rentals or possibly paying off some existing debt.

      Has anyone here gone through something similar? What’s the smartest way to handle a large one-time gift like this to minimize headaches down the road? Also, are there creative strategies I might be overlooking?

      Appreciate any advice or firsthand experiences. I’ll be talking to a CPA and possibly an estate attorney, but wanted to get the BiggerPockets perspective first.

      .
      So, is future Mother-in-law sophisticated and accredited or is she just a generous sweetie?

      A little of both! Very sweet and generous women who also has the goal to leave all her daughters with a cash flowing ADU or property. That said, we are basically treating her like an investor; talking strategy, keeping her in the loop on properties, walking through the analysis process, etc.

  • Dominic EmoryPro Member
    OP
    Member since 2022 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    1y

    Thank you all! While I think it would be great if she had $14mil I don't think we will ever get that close! So the best option seems to be the gift then counting it towards the lifetime limit. 

  • Ashish AcharyaBusiness Member
    CPA, CFP®, PFS · FL · Member since 2017 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    I’ve actually seen this come up a lot, parents often want to help their kids get a head start with investing, and there are a few angles to consider.

    The 2025 annual gift limit is $18K per person, so Mom could give $18K to you and $18K to your fiancée. Anything above that reduces her $15M lifetime exemption. She would need to file Form 709, but that is just reporting, not a tax bill.

    A straight gift is the cleanest option and the only real cost is paperwork. A loan can work if she prefers structure, with IRS-required interest, but she could forgive parts each year under the annual exclusion.

    For a one-time $200K transfer, trusts or custodial accounts are usually unnecessary unless her estate is near the threshold. Some families instead use LLCs or partnerships, which can also add liability protection.

    Think about how the funds move. Will you receive them personally and use them for down payments, or form an LLC with your fiancée and have her contribute there? Using the money to pay off debt is not deductible, but it can still free up cash flow.

    Other options like 529s, life insurance, or gifting appreciated stock are situational. For real estate, a simple gift or loan is usually best.

    If her estate will not exceed $15M or $30M, the lump sum gift with a gift tax return is simplest. If estate taxes may be an issue, spreading gifts or using a trust can help. Either way, bringing these points to a CPA or estate attorney will make the conversation much smoother.

    This post does not create a CPA-Client relationship. The information contained in this post is not to be relied upon. Readers should seek professional advice.

    INVESTOR FRIENDLY CPA®5241 Reviews
    TaxMD® | AI-Powered Tax Planning
  • Basit SiddiqiBusiness Member
    Accountant · New York, NY · Member since 2015 · 8k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    The lifetime estate / gift exclusion increased this year with the passing of the new tax bill.

    Is your mother in law above this exclusion amount?
    If she is not close to the exclusion amount, I would just take the full $200,000 and have her file a gift tax return.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.