Why Would Someone that Is Financially Savvy NOT House-Hack?

Why Would Someone that Is Financially Savvy NOT House-Hack?

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes

I'm curious. I have written extensively about how I "House-Hack" and live in one part of a duplex and have tenants rent out the other portion of that. They pay down the mortgage and allow me to live for free.

For everyone that has not lived in their home for 10+ years (I can see you being fairly entrenched at that point), why wouldn't you consider doing this?

It seems to me that you have MORE flexibility than as a renter (when I moved out, I could do so at any time, as I didn't have a lease with myself - I could have moved anywhere in the country and enjoyed some rental income with very low effort) AND more flexibility than the homeowner (when I moved out, I could simply put another tenant in my side to cover the mortgage and make me a little money every month - a homeowner might lose money doing that and have to sell right away, even if it wasn't a great time to sell). You could also stay in the property forever and live for free forever. There are many parts of town here in Denver, many excellent, where you can buy a duplex and use this strategy to live for free or for significantly less than buying a home. I can't think of a single part of town where this would not be a more advantageous way to live, at very low life impact.

The advantages of this are fairly immediate and last forever if you keep the property, and you can literally do this for a year or two, and use the rental income to then pay for the bigger nicer house you want to live in permanently or raise a family in. In fact, many people raise excellent families in duplexes, townhomes, etc, so there's no reason you couldn't raise a family quite nicely in my former home while getting rather rich rather quickly. In fact, you actually get to CHOOSE your neighbors, so you are at less risk of having bad neighbors than the folks who just buy a home or rent!

Why WOULDN'T you do this?

I'm curious to the folks out there not doing this currently (people who have lived in their current home many years are excluded). What do you see as the downsides? Even though I've been doing this for years, with highly positive results, I feel that no one else I know is doing this and am beginning to get frustrated because I see such incredibly obvious, easy, ridiculously high value rewards to doing this for such a low effort! 

What do people that are smarter than I see here that I don't? What is the drawback that keeps people working $50,000 per year jobs for 40+ hours per week, but still refuse to move, then do the 5 extra hours per week to make $20,000 + per year and live for free!? I feel like most people would move across the country for a $20,000 per year raise. So, why do they refuse to move across town for the same financial benefit?

What are some valid reasons for not doing this? Can someone that prioritizes their financial freedom, makes between $50,000-$100,000 per year, has no rental properties, and a net worth below $100,000 explain to me why they would even begin thinking about other ways to build wealth and not immediately move towards this objective? What are other options that they believe to be more impactful to their financial positions, and less impactful to their lives, than house-hacking? How would that person propose to save or earn to build a comparable amount of wealth with less effort?

7Reply
131 views

Most Popular Reply

Logan AllecBusiness Member
Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
10y

@Scott Trench, I don't get it either!  I preach the House Hack Gospel to all of my friends, but the thought simply doesn't appeal to them.  They would rather pay through the nose in rent simply for the benefit of being able to walk to Whole Foods and blow the rest of their paycheck there.  Think about it, young'uns: if you’re in your 20s and currently unattached to children, house hacking is a no-brainer. If you do nothing else in real estate, you will have succeeded by getting into a fourplex as a young man or woman with only 3.5% down. Assuming the rents cover your expenses, in 30 years when you’re in your 50s and the mortgage is paid off, and you’ve done the smart thing by raising the rents over the years, you will be sitting on a multi-million-dollar asset that cash flows thousands of dollars per month at the cost of a measly $20k or so out-of-pocket when you were 20-something. I can’t think of any better way for young people with limited resources to prepare for their future so early on in life with so little cash out-of-pocket. Run the numbers and see for yourself.

Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · North Conway, NH · Member since 2016 · 69 posts · 16 votes
    10y
    Well not everyone wants to share a roof with their tenants. I know I wouldn't want to...i'd prefer to have my rental property elsewhere.
  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    I get that - I guess the question I'd have in response to that is this - is it it worth $20,000+ per year to someone just starting out (low net worth) to not have to deal with tenants next door? It's an astronomical difference in wealth building to house-hack (more leverage, less risk, more exit strategies, more flexibility, easier management, easy to spot problems, and so on), so I guess I struggle with why not having tenants next door is worth sacrificing all the advantages of house-hacking. I see that as a benefit, not a drawback.

    I can't argue with personal preference though. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Scott Trench,

    I'd consider it for short term, not any significant length of time by choice.

    I've had my own free-standing SFR since 1998, except for about 6 months while we lived with my Mom while this house was being built.

    I prefer knowing that the footsteps I hear on the floor above me are from someone I live with.

    My $0.02 ...

    David J Dachtera

    "Success is not a destination. Failure is not an event. Success is a process, failure is a choice."
    - DJ Benedict

  • Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes
    10y

    I would say some areas you can't find a duplex or multi unit for what people starting out can afford. People may want to stay in that certain area.

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 389 posts · 193 votes
    10y
    Scott Trench Exactly. All of the above is why I'm saving up this year to purchase a 'house hack' with an FHA next year, and use the rest of the savings to buy my first MFR. Thanks for the post.
  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    10y

    @Scott Trench, I don't get it either!  I preach the House Hack Gospel to all of my friends, but the thought simply doesn't appeal to them.  They would rather pay through the nose in rent simply for the benefit of being able to walk to Whole Foods and blow the rest of their paycheck there.  Think about it, young'uns: if you’re in your 20s and currently unattached to children, house hacking is a no-brainer. If you do nothing else in real estate, you will have succeeded by getting into a fourplex as a young man or woman with only 3.5% down. Assuming the rents cover your expenses, in 30 years when you’re in your 50s and the mortgage is paid off, and you’ve done the smart thing by raising the rents over the years, you will be sitting on a multi-million-dollar asset that cash flows thousands of dollars per month at the cost of a measly $20k or so out-of-pocket when you were 20-something. I can’t think of any better way for young people with limited resources to prepare for their future so early on in life with so little cash out-of-pocket. Run the numbers and see for yourself.

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • Investor · Rockford, MI · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 54 votes
    10y
    Living with/under one roof with your tenants is the most obvious turn off for most I would guess. I also think when people become financially able and more in tune with their investments they unfortunately are already tied down to other "obligations" and are further along in their personal lives...kids,pets,boats, etc., those along with other things can make living in a duplex seem unrealistic if your accustom to your 3 stall garage and man cave basement. That being said, if I was smarter and had given more thought to my financial future when I was 25 I would have house hacked several times over. I think everyone can agree and see the positive impact it will have on your wealth building, however some come to that realization later than others. Either way, it doesn't have to hinder your investing and plans for the future...lots of ways to go about it.
  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    10y

    If I was single with no kids, I would totally be all for house hacking. This is exactly how I got started. Once I got married and had a few kids and they got old enough to pay around the neighborhood, there felt like a definite need for separation between them and my tenants. 

  • Real Estate Broker · North Richland Hills, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 607 votes
    10y

    Perhaps I should have considered it while I was young and single, but several factors stopped me:

    - duplex neighborhoods/areas are often C, w/ higher crime and worse schools

    - I don't want my tenant being able to walk next door and knock w/ his issues.

    - Even my first home was nicer than most duplexes.

    Now, w/a wife and kid, forget it.    Putting my son in great schools, and the enjoyment we get out of our custom home, outweighs any potential house hacking benefit.    I do have passive income from several other sources that pays for our housing costs and more.

    Decisions such as this are often heavily weighted by subjective factors, and we don't all have the same priorities.

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2016 · 33 posts · 15 votes
    10y

    Coming from someone who makes less than the national average income, in one of the most expensive places to live in the nation, house hacking either a duplex, tri, our quad is the technique that is taking most of my free time.

    I understand that most people don't want to live anywhere near their tenants and possibly have families to take care of, but in my current position, buying a SFH at my current income would not only be impractical, it would close to impossible.

    On the other hand, when I am in a position to utilize this technique in the right are, on a great piece of property, it takes that impossible goal, and turns it into a tough yet attainable goal. 

    Like everybody has stated before, living with their tenants isn't ideal, but my goal is to achieve a sense of financial freedom, take control of my life and my expenses sooner than my siblings (I'm the youngest),and finally, build a business upon which I will be proud to claim as my own. 

    If dealing with a broken toilet or two, or hearing some footsteps above my head are the small challenges I have to deal with to climb to the top of an everlasting empire, then I'll put some gloves on, and sleep with ear plugs in if I have to. 

    For the rest of you, make sure you have your priorities straight, and your goals in line, and your life path will fall into alignment soon enough.

  • Broker · Logan, UT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    "Make of thy dwelling a profitable investment"

    --George Samuel Clason, The Richest Man in Babylon

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    This is why a majority of people aren't moving beyond the paycheck-to-paycheck lifestyle. They want what they want now and are not willing to make any sacrifices for future financial freedom and/or wealth.

    For a few years, I rented out 1 or 2 extra bedrooms in my personal home. That is even more "invasive" than sharing a multi-unit property where you at least have your own space! But it worked out great and paid for half of the mortgage during those years. It was a great way to start, and also learn a bit about landlording before I jumped in and purchased rental properties.

  • Investor · King of Prussia, PA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 339 votes
    10y

    @Scott Trench I don't see why people don't buy 2-4 units home as well. I currently resides in a duplex and have been sharing with my colleagues at work to consider buying a 2-4 units home so that tenants can pay down the mortgage, insurance, and have some cash left over for rainy day. People prefer SFH because that's all they know. They've been drinking the Kool-Aid and believe that's what they're suppose to do.

    Currently my wife and I decided to rent when we move to Florida as oppose to buying a home and being CHAINED to the house for 30  years. I like my freedom. We're buying apartments to cover our expenses and lifestyle. I believe in Living where you want to live and invest where the numbers make sense.

  • York, ME · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    I am just figuring this out myself and I am 28. I grew up renting, as well as my family. We didn't know any better. I have friends in real estate that tell me this and it is making sense. So I be leave it has to do with the was we teach our children and the fact that the school system DOESN'T education our kids for success.
  • Malden, MA · Member since 2016 · 112 posts · 63 votes
    10y
    Scott Trench Some people do not want that debt on their books for the rest of their lives. It may be bringing in income but a debt free lifestyle where you don't owe people is something many desire. With the house hacking, you're constantly with a mortgage and as you build up properties it's a VERY long time until you may actually be able to pay off those mortgages. What would you have to say to those who are completely against debt and they see it as a burden more than a stepping stone to financial freedom?
  • Investor · Neptune Beach, FL · Member since 2015 · 143 posts · 172 votes
    10y
    Living in a multi and renting out the other units is one thing. Roommates are different. Some investors have a passion for real estate but no passion for people in their personal space. Personally, I am one of those people and if someone ever told me i had to have roommates to get rich, Id rather eat beans and live in the forest. Fortunately, never had to do that.
  • Wholesaler · Goldsboro, NC · Member since 2016 · 49 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    I wish I had heard of or thought of this YEARS AGO! Thank God I'm inly 28 and my husband is 26 so we can start while still young. We have a 3 month old so we can make the sacrifice and by the time he's old enough to go to school, we will be well into our 7 year plan. 

    I completely agree with you. I don't think some people are willing to make this bug of a sacrifice though. People want what they want it's a character trait, in my opinion. I get to choose the neighbors and set the rules, while living for free and building wealth. I'm all for it! We have been renting for 2 years and I'm sooooooo pissed that I didn't know about house hacking until about a month ago. 

    When this lease is up, we are definitely buying at least a duplex, if nothing larger comes available. Until then we are saving for an even bigger down payment. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y

    @Scott Trench if I could travel back and talk to my 22 year old self, I would tell myself to buy a duplex or fourplex. Twenty years later, I have a family and a very nice home in an amazing neighborhood. Living in a neighborhood where average house values are $450K costs more money in taxes, but the money is worth it. No rentals in my neighborhood. Great schools close by. No registered sex offenders and very few crime reports. I don't want someone living on the other side of the wall. I like living in a dandelion free neighborhood where people mow their grass and care for their homes. My child is surrounded by other great two-parent families with kids her age. I do have a good paying day job. I could sell my home, move into a small duplex and retire. Why don't I? Mainly because of my family and neighborhood.  Also, I love my job and don't see the need to retire.

    So you asked what smarter people see? Don't assume smarter people make better decisions and also don't assume that what you value is what other people value. House hacking is not ideal for families because moving every two years creates instability. You will understand when/if you have kids some day. Some people love their career and have no interest in being landlords. We are all different. I think you are on a great path, but I doubt over the next 30 years that you will move 15 times. At some point you are going to settle down. When that time comes, it is ok. You are just embracing a different phase of your life.

  • easton, PA · Member since 2015 · 45 posts · 19 votes
    10y

    Such an interesting thread.... My husband and I currently house hack in a duplex. We've owned it for a little over one year and have had two different sets of tenants during this time. The duplex is a top and bottom duplex not a side by side. We live in the bottom unit as it is larger and currently rehabbed. We rent the upstairs unit. The first tenants that we rented to were amazing. They were quiet and basically kept to themselves. I never heard them above me. ever. I had no complaints during this time and loved collecting the rent check every month. The next set of tenants that moved in are much different, they are very loud, I hear their tv, they bang around a lot, they keep me awake at night as they seem to stay awake very late doing god knows what. It has not been a pleasant experience. Needless to say, we will not be renewing their lease at the end of this term.

    I have learned that house hacking can be great and it can also be awful. I will never live beneath my tenants ever again. I also have contemplated a strategy of telling the tenants that we are the property managers for the owner. I will have much stricter boundaries and rules. I do not appreciate when tenants knock on our door at 8:00 on a Tuesday to let us know that a window latch is loose and that they would like it fixed asap.

    The benefits of house hacking have certainly outweighed the cons... although I usually am singing a different tune at midnight when I am still laying awake listening to the people above me.

    All that being said, I would definitely do this again, I would do things differently for sure, but I would do it again.

  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    10y

    @Andrew Beaver "What would you have to say to those who are completely against debt and they see it as a burden more than a stepping stone to financial freedom?"

    Not sure what @Scott Trench would say, but I would say that these folks would be better off investing in other asset classes.  One of the primary benefits of investing in real estate is leverage.

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Weehawken, NJ · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 704 votes
    10y

    @Scott Trench

    For most of the country, your point makes complete sense. I think there are two considerations that are valid to keep people from doing this:

    1) Market prices. Many in NY or SF understand that every additional square foot owned is largely additional expense. In my neighborhood, tenant income will not cover mortgage, taxes, and insurance by a wide margin. Even in less decent neighborhoods in NY, you're still under on income, just at a slower trickle (seriously, we have no qualms living most places in NY).

    In this situation you have two choices: Just deal with it and hope the rising tide of the market lifts you up, or play defense. I am not confident the NY market has much room for growth. Furthermore, the legal system is incredibly favorable to tenants, and the new wave of political opinion is not changing that direction. 

    Playing defense is my choice. We keep our cost of living low, and we live in a great neighborhood for way less than we'd pay on a mortgage, taxes, and insurance (the numbers are staggering). We use the savings to invest in friendlier markets down south and some in NJ.

    2) Quality of life. Been mentioned by a lot of folks here, but some people don't want to live with their tenants. This is definitely a matter of personal preference, but you have to remember that working for financial freedom is no good if you never feel free.

  • Engineer/Real Estate Investor · Renton, WA · Member since 2015 · 368 posts · 120 votes
    10y

    @Logan Allec

    I had the exact same conversation with my Fiance just recently. Her biggest reason for being against house hacking is that she prefers the privacy, and to not share walls with strangers. It is a matter of comfort for her. 

    For me, its just another line item in my excel sheet. Either my mortgage is $1500 and we live in a SFR, or the mortgage line item is $0, or damn close to $0. My first instinct is to think of the financial impact of any decision I make, her first instinct is to think of comfort, and whether its conventional or not. When I made the excel sheet and showed the the two scenarios and how drastically different the financial impact would be, she agreed.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 111 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    I have 4 dogs, 2 barn cats and a horse. I don't know of any duplex that's on at least 5 acres with a barn. Have you ever seen slobber on the ceiling from a bloodhound? I have and thats why they sleep in the barn and not inside. I also work in exchange for rent.

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Schellhammer:

    I have learned that house hacking can be great and it can also be awful. I will never live beneath my tenants ever again. I also have contemplated a strategy of telling the tenants that we are the property managers for the owner. I will have much stricter boundaries and rules. I do not appreciate when tenants knock on our door at 8:00 on a Tuesday to let us know that a window latch is loose and that they would like it fixed asap.

     Wait until you encounter your first crazy tenant. You will wish they don't know where you live. People seem nice when you rent to them, but I have had a couple that turned ugly and one I became fearful of. I do everything I can to distance my family from tenants. You could tell your tenants you are just the manager, but be careful to not out right lie to them. That can come back to bite you and ultimately if you expect your tenants to be honest, you should be honest too. You could say that ABC Properties owns this property and I a manage it. If your are doing business as ABC Properties, then that is not a lie. I tell people I need to check with my partner who is co-owner. The partner is my wife, but I never tell them that unless they ask. I know this may be splitting hairs, but changing the wording a little can make a difference.

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    10y

    @Stephanie Bureau hahaha! Yours is the best reason yet. Totally agree - house-hacking is probably not ideal for you. 

    @Pete Perez I think your point is my favorite - I truly don't understand. People are willing to make modest sacrifices for huge rent reductions all the time! Why don't they see that yes, it is slightly less ideal to live with the tenants next door, but it takes you to free for living! Surely, a tiny amount of discomfort and a few hours per year of effort are worth living for FREE!

    @Trevor Ewen  Living in NYC is a choice. Same with San Fran. If you have financial goals, there is no reason you can't move to one of the perfectly acceptably hundreds of U.S. cities with jobs that pay almost as much, but allow you to build wealth at 2,3, or 10X the rate and have comparable amounts of run.

    Here's a graph of A typical American's expenses:

    See that piece of the pie that is a THIRD of the typical American's budget? I have a big goose egg there. Actually, I make money there. I redirect those savings into more fun in the tiny chunk of the pie called "entertainment" and I have a larger than average "cash contributions" piece as well. Who has more comfort in this scenario?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.