What would you do in my position?

What would you do in my position?

Morrison, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 68 votes

What would you do in my position to acquire another income producing property of any type. Land? SFR? Commercial? Long Distance? ( I know what I want to do, but would like to see how other people would approach this situation):

I’m in a linear market where appreciation is around 1.5% a year. We do not bake appreciation into our numbers when analyzing deals.

I have one rental fully paid off worth $95K. Cash on cash return is 7%. $95K equity.

Second rental i bought for $70K. Traditional 30 year fixed rate at 5%. I have $17K of my own cash in the deal. Cash on cash return is 8% and 11% if you include principal paydown. House is worth $80K (sweat equity and added a bedroom). 25K in equity.

My primary residence is a zero down 30-yr fixed rate VA loan at 3.875 APR. worth $130K. Only $8K in equity.

I have the ability to save $20k a year from W2 income and rental income. $20K is more than enough to buy one property a year in my area with 15/20/30 yr fixed loan with 20% down and cosmetic rehab prior to renting.

I’m going to assume answers will vary depending on personal investment philosophies and where people conduct real estate activities globally. I’m in Northwest Illinois or as Brandon Turner would say..... ruuuurrwwaaallll United States.

Penny for your thoughts! Best Regards!

0Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

George SkidisPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 875 posts · 529 votes
7y

Disclaimer: I sell Insurance and prepare income tax returns. This is where my perspective comes from. Always hire a qualified attorney before attempting any legal strategy. We also sell access to legal help. 

Assett Protection #1: First I would set up an LLC as a management company. Be careful not to call yourself the property manager unless you are actually a real estate agent qualified to be a property manager. You can be maintenance supervisor or whatever. Write your leases between your ownership entity and the LLC in such a way that the LLC assumes all liability for managing the properties.

A single member LLC is a disregarded entity as far as the IRS is concerned. However, it lets you set up a Self Directed Qualified Retirement Plan which is better than a self directed IRA for several reasons. PM me for details.

Assett Protection #2: Make sure you have $1 million in liability insurance for each property.

Assett Protection #3: Get a COMMERCIAL Liability Umbrella policy for all of the rentals and LLC.

Next I would set up a self directed Health Savings Account (HSA) on my own. It should not be part of your W-2 income.  This is available when allows you have a high deductible medical plan. Put what you save on health insurance into the HSA. It grows tax free for life. This can be used to pay current medical bills or if you are lucky it becomes a second retirement plan. Money here cannot be withdrawn for any reason but medical until retirement age or face a stiff penalty. The right HSA allows investment in the stock market.

You did not mention married or single. That has a huge impact on the next item.

If I were a single guy, my next property would be a four family. Live in 1 unit and rent the rest out.

If you have lived in your current home two out of the last 5 years. sell it after you buy the four plex. you can rent it for a while but SELL the current home before the 5 years runs out. Then claim the owner occupied capital gains exemption to avoid the tax. Use the proceeds to buy another four plex.

Lather Rinse Repeat

Good Luck and Good Investing

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2019 · 257 posts · 244 votes
    7y

    It would be helpful to add your goals?

    Quit W2 job

    Replace 10k in W2 income

    Pay for kids college

    Some people will say cash out everything and go invest as much as possible in real estate and keep doing this...but depending on your goals u might only need three REI with no mortgage to reach your goal.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2019 · 290 posts · 254 votes
    7y
    It does depend on your goals.

    Personally, I like to keep a diversified portfolio, so I'm invested in index funds as well as real estate. If it were me, I'd take out HELOCs on your investment properties and use that to fund additional investments. I don't like to take additional risk on my personal residence as I'd like business and personal assets to remain separate.

    However, it really depends on what your goals are.

    I also don't know anything about the Illinois market, so I can't help you there. I invest OOS as I'm in California and it's difficult to invest here (at least for me).
  • George SkidisPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Belleville, IL · Member since 2017 · 875 posts · 529 votes
    7y

    Disclaimer: I sell Insurance and prepare income tax returns. This is where my perspective comes from. Always hire a qualified attorney before attempting any legal strategy. We also sell access to legal help. 

    Assett Protection #1: First I would set up an LLC as a management company. Be careful not to call yourself the property manager unless you are actually a real estate agent qualified to be a property manager. You can be maintenance supervisor or whatever. Write your leases between your ownership entity and the LLC in such a way that the LLC assumes all liability for managing the properties.

    A single member LLC is a disregarded entity as far as the IRS is concerned. However, it lets you set up a Self Directed Qualified Retirement Plan which is better than a self directed IRA for several reasons. PM me for details.

    Assett Protection #2: Make sure you have $1 million in liability insurance for each property.

    Assett Protection #3: Get a COMMERCIAL Liability Umbrella policy for all of the rentals and LLC.

    Next I would set up a self directed Health Savings Account (HSA) on my own. It should not be part of your W-2 income.  This is available when allows you have a high deductible medical plan. Put what you save on health insurance into the HSA. It grows tax free for life. This can be used to pay current medical bills or if you are lucky it becomes a second retirement plan. Money here cannot be withdrawn for any reason but medical until retirement age or face a stiff penalty. The right HSA allows investment in the stock market.

    You did not mention married or single. That has a huge impact on the next item.

    If I were a single guy, my next property would be a four family. Live in 1 unit and rent the rest out.

    If you have lived in your current home two out of the last 5 years. sell it after you buy the four plex. you can rent it for a while but SELL the current home before the 5 years runs out. Then claim the owner occupied capital gains exemption to avoid the tax. Use the proceeds to buy another four plex.

    Lather Rinse Repeat

    Good Luck and Good Investing

  • Carl FischerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ambler, PA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Tim Houzenga

    I like to keep properties leveraged for asset protection and better cash on cash returns. I would use equity lines on the properties that have equity. I would buy more real estate. Possibly diversify into multi family, office, retail, industrial, etc. I would also do a 401k/Ira/HSA if possible and invest in more tax free real estate. Work if you like it or not-your choice-your goals.

  • New to Real Estate · Rome, GA · Member since 2017 · 107 posts · 34 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Tim Houzenga:

    What would you do in my position to acquire another income producing property of any type. Land? SFR? Commercial? Long Distance? ( I know what I want to do, but would like to see how other people would approach this situation):

    I’m in a linear market where appreciation is around 1.5% a year. We do not bake appreciation into our numbers when analyzing deals.

    I have one rental fully paid off worth $95K. Cash on cash return is 7%. $95K equity.

    Second rental i bought for $70K. Traditional 30 year fixed rate at 5%. I have $17K of my own cash in the deal. Cash on cash return is 8% and 11% if you include principal paydown. House is worth $80K (sweat equity and added a bedroom). 25K in equity.

    My primary residence is a zero down 30-yr fixed rate VA loan at 3.875 APR. worth $130K. Only $8K in equity.

    I have the ability to save $20k a year from W2 income and rental income. $20K is more than enough to buy one property a year in my area with 15/20/30 yr fixed loan with 20% down and cosmetic rehab prior to renting.

    I’m going to assume answers will vary depending on personal investment philosophies and where people conduct real estate activities globally. I’m in Northwest Illinois or as Brandon Turner would say..... ruuuurrwwaaallll United States.

    Penny for your thoughts! Best Regards!

     Disclaimer: I am a complete REI newbie! I was introduced to the concept of Return on Equity (ROE) recently and I thought it was quite interesting. (ROE) = (Annual Net Income/Equity) maybe the formula is more complex but I think you get the idea. Basically the more equity you acquire in a property as your tenants pay down your mortgage you can begin to lose gains on money that you could deploy elsewhere. I think this may apply to the first property you spoke of. If you had 95K in cash could you make more money on it? Do you want to?

    I'm thinking you already know this and you probably want specific strategies like the folks ^^ are already giving but that is about all I can offer. Good luck Tim! Keep me posted on your next moves. 

  • Morrison, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Randy Bloch. I Wanted my goals to be irrelevant as I wanted to see what other people would do in my situation. I know what I’m going to do, but am curious as to what other individuals would do.

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2019 · 257 posts · 244 votes
    7y

    Your goal and what you are going to do are two different things.  Without understanding your goal I don’t how anyone could provide a recommendation 

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis · Member since 2019 · 257 posts · 244 votes
    7y

    That is like asking for a map without knowing your destination 

  • Morrison, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Danielle Wolter. I wanted my goals to be irrelevant. I wanted to see what other people would do in this particular situation. Ie sell it all and max leverage to buy a commercial building, buy a small business, use w2 to paydown all loans Dave Ramsey style, or continue at a snails pace of one property a year. Plenty of different investment philosophies if you have about $125K in equity and $30K a year to invest in real estate.

  • Morrison, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @George Skidis. Thanks for the input. I have to get with an attorney to work out the LLC piece.

    Currently I own properties in my own name as my intention was to sell and not get into real estate. I carry over $1M liability for peace of mind. It Might reduce cash flow a bit, but the peace of mind is worth it and the numbers still make sense. I’m very conservative.

    Now I have the bug and looking to buy two properties a year for the next five years so adding other layers of asset protection is vital.

  • Morrison, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Carl Fischer. Thanks for the input. I'm in the process of pulling equity out of the fully paid rental and putting it to work in two more SFR properties. I'm pretty conservative and want to master SFR before moving to commercial, but could definitely see how more ambitious people would cash out as much equity as possible and leverage $100K into a $500K property.... just not my style or philosophy.

    The refinance would also help a lot more when it comes to tax time. Icing on the cake I suppose.

    Best Regards!

  • Morrison, IL · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    @Nathan Hui. Having $95K sitting in one property is making me itch. I’m in he process of getting an equity loan so I can put it to work. In my mind I have enough cash sitting idle in that rental that could be used for 2-3 more rentals.

  • Member since 2019 · 59 posts · 31 votes
    7y

    @Tim Houzenga  I personally would do the asset protection plan mentioned earlier in the comments and once that is complete I would start to leverage the equity to 60% LTVs to get more property till I have to get creative with financing and at that point I would step back and see how much further in the water I was comfortable going i.e. going with commercial financing and/or private money.  I also have to question your numbers about the equity.  I personally think of equity as the amount I would put in my pocket if I sell.  If I sold a 95k home I would imagine I would put 88k or so in my pocket.  

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Tim Houzenga

    If you like your W2 keep doing what you’re doing and buy a new property with conventional financing every 1-2 years. Maybe think of selling the primary and buying a 2-4 unit to live in.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.