Where to 'park' excess cash while waiting to invest

Where to 'park' excess cash while waiting to invest

Investor · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 12 votes

I'm thinking of doing a cash out refi on my home to use for investing in property. I think I can cash out upto 600K or so with the purpose of using that amount to start down paying for my investments. However I'm unlikely to use all of that amount right away. Any suggestions on how / where to 'park' any excess money while I wait for those investments to gradually materialize?

0Reply
64 views

Most Popular Reply

Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
6y

I would recommend looking into cryptocurrency decentralized finance. I convert my USD to stable coins that match my US dollar 1:1 and I lend it out to defi. I get around 8-12% APY on all of my capital and I can convert it back to USD at any time.

I don't put my capital into savings or checking accounts because you're losing money value faster than inflation and .05% APY is not worth it for me.

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Steamboat Springs, CO · Member since 2017 · 255 posts · 154 votes
    6y

    Depends on your risk tolerance. Safest place with a non-zero return would be a high-yield online savings account (e.g. Ally). Not a great return, but better than you'd get at your local bank. If you can accept a slightly higher risk profile, put it in a personal brokerage account and buy shares of an index fund like VTI.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    I would recommend looking into cryptocurrency decentralized finance. I convert my USD to stable coins that match my US dollar 1:1 and I lend it out to defi. I get around 8-12% APY on all of my capital and I can convert it back to USD at any time.

    I don't put my capital into savings or checking accounts because you're losing money value faster than inflation and .05% APY is not worth it for me.

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Jimmy Lieu. I am using a mixture of worthy bonds and USDC stablecoin keeping it with BlockFI. It’s been great consistent returns so far. What platform do you use? I’m still new and looking at all my options. 

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 12 votes
    6y
    Sweet! I own some crypto but had not known that one could lend it at lucrative interest rates! I just spend a couple of hours and opened a BlockFi account and just transferred some BTC from my Coinbase account. I don't understand a lot of it yet, esp why do different currencies get different interest rates etc. But whatever, this is a good way to learn. Thanks!

    Originally posted by @Jimmy Lieu:

    I would recommend looking into cryptocurrency decentralized finance. I convert my USD to stable coins that match my US dollar 1:1 and I lend it out to defi. I get around 8-12% APY on all of my capital and I can convert it back to USD at any time.

    I don't put my capital into savings or checking accounts because you're losing money value faster than inflation and .05% APY is not worth it for me.

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 50 posts · 12 votes
    6y
    I do have an online saving as part of my Betterment account, however the interest rate is not great.

    I'm usually pretty good about moving money to ETFs but I do that for long-term growth. Given everybody's talk of a looming recession, I'm wary of putting short term money into an index fund. I'd like this money to be liquid quickly and if the market tanks then it'd be sad. 

    Good tips tho!

    Originally posted by @Aaron H.:

    Depends on your risk tolerance. Safest place with a non-zero return would be a high-yield online savings account (e.g. Ally). Not a great return, but better than you'd get at your local bank. If you can accept a slightly higher risk profile, put it in a personal brokerage account and buy shares of an index fund like VTI.

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @David New:

    @Jimmy Lieu. I am using a mixture of worthy bonds and USDC stablecoin keeping it with BlockFI. It’s been great consistent returns so far. What platform do you use? I’m still new and looking at all my options. 

     Crypto.com and Celsius are both good options. I know BlockFi is a very good platform too but you're limited in your withdrawals.

  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 891 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jimmy Lieu:

    I would recommend looking into cryptocurrency decentralized finance. I convert my USD to stable coins that match my US dollar 1:1 and I lend it out to defi. I get around 8-12% APY on all of my capital and I can convert it back to USD at any time.

    I don't put my capital into savings or checking accounts because you're losing money value faster than inflation and .05% APY is not worth it for me.

     Are Nano Ledgers safe?

  • Rental Property Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 33 votes
    6y

    @Jimmy Lieu How long do you to keep your stoblecoins inside of celsius and Crypto to earn the whole 12% amount? I can't seem to find that part on their website. How long have you been with them two? I've been with BlockFi for aboout 6 months and have had nothing but a great experience.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y
  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 104 posts · 112 votes
    6y

    @David New Celsius pays out weekly at an 11.55 apy so to answer your question a week? They do give themselves the option to change the rates every week. The good thing about Celsius is that they allow unlimited withdrawals so you can move money if they make a change that doesn’t fit your goals.

  • Investor · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2019 · 185 posts · 205 votes
    6y

    There is no shame keeping some cash for short periods of time. Cash is king. Plop it into an Ally, Marcus, or other high yield savings account. Earn 0.8% interest and be certain that you'll have it ready in full to quickly act when you find your next property. 

    Everything else carries some risk, and that means that you may find an amazing property, but can't act on it because your principal dropped below the amount you need.

    You're a savvy enough investor to be purchasing real estate in the first place. I assume you have a stock portfolio as well. Ally and Marcus are only bad moves when the bulk of your savings is there; not when you're saving up some powder to shoot for an amazing investment.

    Think of it this way: Would you be more upset if your excess $500k was only earning 0.8% APY or if your $500k became $400k, and you couldn't buy that next property?

  • Investor · Las Vegas · Member since 2017 · 59 posts · 22 votes
    6y

    Have you considered doing a 1st or 2nd position HELOC instead of refi?

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    It's been a while, but our first few investment properties were bought from a HELOC of our primary residence. We would buy as a cash deal -- which also helped competitively plus we could buy things that wouldn't normally qualify for a standard loan -- fixed them up, took out a loan on the property, itself, or sold the home, then paid back the HELOC & started over. Never had to worry about where we stored our money between deals as it just went back to 0 balance on the line of credit. Worked really well. In a recession, banks do tend to freeze them or lower the limit, so read the fine print to know the rules you're working under, but as long as you understand them, it may be your best option.

    If not a HELOC (we sold that house), we've discovered that any money we want to use for real estate within the next 2 years, including our emergency fund for our rentals, is better off in a higher interest savings account, even though right now it's almost no interest at all. In hindsight, we could have made a lot of folks rich letting them know when the stock market would tank because it seemed directly correlated to when we needed to pull out money from stock accounts for a purchase.

  • Investor · Rome, GA · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 8 votes
    6y

    Edward Jones has a money market account that returns 3-4% but has a $100k minimum. Maybe something to look into.

  • Optical lab supervisor · San Marcos, CA · Member since 2014 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    6y

    lots of good info in this one. thank you all for sharing

  • New to Real Estate · Oakland, CA · Member since 2020 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    6y

    @Jimmy Lieu hey. What do you find the most efficient way to get fiat current converted and sent over places like BlockFi, crypto.com, etc?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.