Japanese CPA - JICPA certified accountant

Japanese CPA - JICPA certified accountant

Investor · Shizuoka Japan · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets Members,

How can I find a JICPA certified accountant who speaks English? I live and work in Japan with the US government and my friends cannot relate to the personal finance steps I take as a US citizen. But, they do want to start investing in accounts similar to a ROTH IRA.

I want to ask a few questions to a Japanese CPA to better help the friends who are interested in investing.

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Attorney · Tokyo, Japan · Member since 2016 · 184 posts · 145 votes
5y

@Halei Agra - Hi Halei.  Fellow Japan-based US investor here.  

If I understand your question, you're looking for an English-speaking Japanese "CPA" so that you can understand options for your Japanese/non-American friends, is that correct?  If so, does the Japanese CPA need to speak English?

In any event, DM me and I can refer you to my guy, although he can be very busy and slow to respond.

I'm taking the liberty of pinging @Daniel Mills and @Steven E. Quasha, both who live in Japan and use a Japanese CPA.  Tell them that if they don't share contact details, I'll sick my 7 year old them.

Separately, whenever you have time I'd love to chat and hear about how you invest from Japan - always looking for new and better ideas.

Hope to speak soon.

- Dave

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Attorney · Tokyo, Japan · Member since 2016 · 184 posts · 145 votes
    5y

    @Halei Agra - Hi Halei.  Fellow Japan-based US investor here.  

    If I understand your question, you're looking for an English-speaking Japanese "CPA" so that you can understand options for your Japanese/non-American friends, is that correct?  If so, does the Japanese CPA need to speak English?

    In any event, DM me and I can refer you to my guy, although he can be very busy and slow to respond.

    I'm taking the liberty of pinging @Daniel Mills and @Steven E. Quasha, both who live in Japan and use a Japanese CPA.  Tell them that if they don't share contact details, I'll sick my 7 year old them.

    Separately, whenever you have time I'd love to chat and hear about how you invest from Japan - always looking for new and better ideas.

    Hope to speak soon.

    - Dave

  • Rental Property Investor · Gifu City, Japan · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Hello Halei,
    Since I am fearful of David's 7 year old, I felt it would be wise to respond to this thread. Unfortunately, I use a Japanese speaking CPA for local taxes and a U.S. based CPA for my taxes there. However, I do know an English speaking Japanese CPA who lived in the U.S. for a few years. She would probably charge you an hourly rate to answer your questions.

    If your friends are Japanese, they can invest in a NISA. 
    https://www.retirejapan.com/ni...

    However, the tax benefits are not quite the same. 

    Hope that helps you out.
    Steve

  • Investor · Shizuoka Japan · Member since 2019 · 8 posts · 4 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Steven E. Quasha:

    Hello Halei,
    Since I am fearful of David's 7 year old, I felt it would be wise to respond to this thread. Unfortunately, I use a Japanese speaking CPA for local taxes and a U.S. based CPA for my taxes there. However, I do know an English speaking Japanese CPA who lived in the U.S. for a few years. She would probably charge you an hourly rate to answer your questions.

    If your friends are Japanese, they can invest in a NISA. 
    https://www.retirejapan.com/ni...

    However, the tax benefits are not quite the same. 

    Hope that helps you out.
    Steve

    Hahaha. I’m glad that the threat convinced you to reply. Thank you David and Steven so much for your time. I researched the NISA after receiving your reply! I understand the most of it and got some extra information. My partner is a Japanese resident and wants to take advantage of investing with his extra money.

    Who is eligible?
    - Anyone who lives in Japan and is at least 20 years old. ✅

    How much can be invested?
    - ¥1 million a year and ¥5 million total for 5 years. ✅

    How long is the tax-exempt period?
    - 5 years. ✅

    ⁉️ My question ⁉️

    I understand that you can have one NISA account at a time. Can you rollover the expiring 5 year NISA to a new one?

  • Attorney · Tokyo, Japan · Member since 2016 · 184 posts · 145 votes
    5y

    @Steven E. Quasha the threat of Heather carries some serious heft.  Thanks Steve!

  • Rental Property Investor · Gifu City, Japan · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    5y

    Halei,

    I don't believe you can start a new NISA. After five years you roll it over into a regular brokerage account. At least that is my understanding. Also, you may want to show your friends this as well.
    https://www.retirejapan.com/id...

    Good luck,
    Steve

  • Investor · Kusatsu, Shiga · Member since 2015 · 147 posts · 87 votes
    5y

    Hi, I'm not scared of Heather personally. I have to second @Steven E. Quasha that the best resource for them will be Ben Shearon and the Retire Japan blog. He even does personal consults. 

    Daniel

  • Investor · Pawleys Island, SC · Member since 2015 · 324 posts · 385 votes
    5y

    You may want to check out the EA listings on the IRS website.  Many foreign accountants who have clients with US based tax needs get their EA credentials.  Unless you opt out, the IRS lists all active Enrolled agents.  Many are foreign accountants.   The name is confusing, but they have no IRS affiliation beyond being credentialed by the IRS. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.