Showing Perspective Tenants An Available Unit

Showing Perspective Tenants An Available Unit

Investor · Germantown, OH · Member since 2021 · 10 posts · 8 votes

Hello Bigger Pockets!

My wife and I acquired a 6 unit apartment building in July of this year. Three of the units were empty when we purchased it. One of the three units was fully renovated and we rented it immediately after taking possession and the other 2 units needed renovating and have been working on one of them since. That unit is now ready to rent and will be starting to work on the final unit. We self mange the property which can be rewarding but can be very frustrating at the same time.

The most frustrating piece that we have run into so far is showing the unit to prospective tenants.

The first unit that we rented we did all private showings. We had 40 people reach out to us being interested, booked 15 of those people and only 4 people actually showed up for their appointment that they booked with only one application!

The second unit that we have that we are in the process of renting we scheduled an open house and tried to limit the number of private showings to those who couldn't make it to the open house to try to eliminate the wasted time we had the first time. The open house was a complete bust no one showed up and we sat there doing paperwork for 2.5 hours. (Good time to get paperwork completed) One of the private showings that we had scheduled because of not being able to make it to the open house didn't show up today.

Trying to get these two units rented has really shown us that people just don't follow through with what they schedule to do in their life. Both of us were raised that if you said you were going to do something you did it or gave notice that it wouldn't happen for a specific reason. I guess the world just doesn't work like that any longer...

The question that I have for everyone is what does everyone else do to show their properties to eliminate as many no shows as possible and to keep as much of your time as possible?

If you do an open house how long do you do it for and how far advance do you advertise?

If you do private showings how do you try to ensure that they actually show up? How long do you wait prior to leaving if they don't show up?

Do you collect the application and application fee prior to showing or after?

Anything that we should try different next time to have better success?

We are located in southwest Ohio which makes it harder to rent units in the winter which is why we are having some issues this time but the first unit we did was in July which I would have thought would have been a large rental month.

I would appreciate any help that you are able to give us to try in the future.

1Reply
152 views

Most Popular Reply

Green Bay, WI · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 21 votes
4y

We have struggled with this in the past. We now do a blended version of this to not waste time. When we post a new listing, we require a specific showing time. However, we give this showing time to multiple prospects. Say we have 6 people reach out for a showing. Our typically showing schedule will look like this: prospect 1&2 at 5pm. Prospect 3&4 at 5:15. Prospect 5&6 at 5:30. We then tell people when they get there that we are just holding an open house as we have so much demand for the unit, which is normally true. 

We find this weeds out a lot of people that are just wasting time and makes people commit to a time. It helps us though because we never have a wasted slot and creates a sense of competition too. Don’t get me wrong, we still have no shows but not nearly as much time wasted as before. 

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Charles Heistand:

    Trying to get these two units rented has really shown us that people just don't follow through with what they schedule to do in their life. Both of us were raised that if you said you were going to do something you did it or gave notice that it wouldn't happen for a specific reason. I guess the world just doesn't work like that any longer...

    No it doesn't. This may be the biggest lesson you can take away from this. I do not have any specific advice, but just learn this....

  • Green Bay, WI · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    We have struggled with this in the past. We now do a blended version of this to not waste time. When we post a new listing, we require a specific showing time. However, we give this showing time to multiple prospects. Say we have 6 people reach out for a showing. Our typically showing schedule will look like this: prospect 1&2 at 5pm. Prospect 3&4 at 5:15. Prospect 5&6 at 5:30. We then tell people when they get there that we are just holding an open house as we have so much demand for the unit, which is normally true. 

    We find this weeds out a lot of people that are just wasting time and makes people commit to a time. It helps us though because we never have a wasted slot and creates a sense of competition too. Don’t get me wrong, we still have no shows but not nearly as much time wasted as before. 

  • Property Manager · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 667 posts · 587 votes
    4y

    @Charles Heistand Unfortunately, there is no bullet-proof way to avoid no-shows. And I would not recommend collecting app or app fees ahead of time. You will create a nightmare for yourself refunding the ones you don't process. I would set specific showing times and bunch them all up together, maybe spacing them out by 5 minutes. This does two things: creates demand and limits the amount of time you waste if no one shows up. We will usually give a reminder call, text, or email the day of as well. If someone doesn't show up, we don't wait more than 10 minutes. This time of year is slow and it can be frustrating but keep at it and you will find your tenants. Good luck! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I like to list it available on a Wednesday and schedule showings on Saturdays and Sundays so I can block them together.  I pre-screen over the phone and then set 30 minute blocks to show the house and try my best to schedule them back to back.  The house is usually still needing minor work like paint and cleaning so I do this for empty space in the blocks or for no shows.  Do not under any circumstance waste your time going if you don't have a confirmation that they are coming.  This is especially true if you are going out for just 1 appointment, it is a huge waste of time and energy.  I tell people they need to text me to confirm they are still coming the day of the appointment to let me know they are still interested.  Bonus points if they do but if not, I text them 30 minutes before I leave and if I don't hear back I don't go.  If they schedule an appointment and don't show they are pretty much dead to me and I'm not interested in rescheduling.  

    You didn't ask for advice on this but you're getting it anyway, 6 months is a lot of time to renovate 2 apartments but I'd try to schedule work on them around appointments so you are there anyway.  I'm all about doing things myself to save money but don't forget that you are paying holding costs plus the opportunity costs of not getting rent.  You need to either get motivated to get these done or pay up and get it done, depending on your price point the lost days of rent may break even if you paid someone to come out and get the place rent ready.  

  • Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    I only list on Zillow and their network of sites. As such, before you can see the house you have to fill out an application, and pay for the credit/background check. ($29) This is charged by Zillow, not me, so it's not my problem if somebody wants a refund or whatever. Most are not going to pay if they are not going to show up. And if the application says they aren't qualified I won't bother showing. You gotta wonder why people with bad credit, evictions, criminal history, and no money pay for an application, but they still do.

    I also do my best to send unqualified/uninterested people away from my house. Tell them everything they might not like up front. It isn't like selling a used car, they will figure it out eventually. Save everybody's time. I send them 9 basic questions to answer first, many fail right there.

    If I am going to meet somebody I arrive 10 minutes after I told them to arrive, if they're not there within 5 they are no longer qualified. If you're a flake just looking at a house I'm not going to like how you pay rent. If somebody is really flakey I'll tell them to call me when they get there.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Charles Heistand:

    The question that I have for everyone is what does everyone else do to show their properties to eliminate as many no shows as possible and to keep as much of your time as possible?

    If you do an open house how long do you do it for and how far advance do you advertise?

    If you do private showings how do you try to ensure that they actually show up? How long do you wait prior to leaving if they don't show up?

    Do you collect the application and application fee prior to showing or after?

    Anything that we should try different next time to have better success?

    My recommendation is that you purchase a key lockbox for the property or install a door lock with a keypad (EXAMPLE). When someone calls to schedule a showing, prescreen them verbally to see if they're likely to pass your screening. Just explaining that you run a credit/criminal background on every adult, won't accept pets, or some other policy may be enough to scare them off.

    When someone is serious and wants to schedule a showing, schedule the showing with them but don't drive to the property. If they show up at the scheduled time, have them text you a picture of their driver's license next to the lock. Text them the code and ask them to text you back when they are done. Now you get in your car and drive over to ensure it's locked after the showing. You can also change the temp code so that individual can't come back in.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Charles Heistand:

    Hello Bigger Pockets!

    My wife and I acquired a 6 unit apartment building in July of this year. Three of the units were empty when we purchased it. One of the three units was fully renovated and we rented it immediately after taking possession and the other 2 units needed renovating and have been working on one of them since. That unit is now ready to rent and will be starting to work on the final unit. We self mange the property which can be rewarding but can be very frustrating at the same time.

    The most frustrating piece that we have run into so far is showing the unit to prospective tenants.

    The first unit that we rented we did all private showings. We had 40 people reach out to us being interested, booked 15 of those people and only 4 people actually showed up for their appointment that they booked with only one application!

    The second unit that we have that we are in the process of renting we scheduled an open house and tried to limit the number of private showings to those who couldn't make it to the open house to try to eliminate the wasted time we had the first time. The open house was a complete bust no one showed up and we sat there doing paperwork for 2.5 hours. (Good time to get paperwork completed) One of the private showings that we had scheduled because of not being able to make it to the open house didn't show up today.

    Trying to get these two units rented has really shown us that people just don't follow through with what they schedule to do in their life. Both of us were raised that if you said you were going to do something you did it or gave notice that it wouldn't happen for a specific reason. I guess the world just doesn't work like that any longer...

    The question that I have for everyone is what does everyone else do to show their properties to eliminate as many no shows as possible and to keep as much of your time as possible?

    If you do an open house how long do you do it for and how far advance do you advertise?

    If you do private showings how do you try to ensure that they actually show up? How long do you wait prior to leaving if they don't show up?

    Do you collect the application and application fee prior to showing or after?

    Anything that we should try different next time to have better success?

    We are located in southwest Ohio which makes it harder to rent units in the winter which is why we are having some issues this time but the first unit we did was in July which I would have thought would have been a large rental month.

    I would appreciate any help that you are able to give us to try in the future.

     I use tenant turner for all of my tenants showing coordinating. It is $50 a month and saves me 10+ hours a week in scheduling showings for my tenants here in Columbus, Ohio

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2017 · 347 posts · 94 votes
    4y

    @Remington Lyman have you ever had someone damage anything? Or do something they're not supposed to do

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Chris C.:

    @Remington Lyman have you ever had someone damage anything? Or do something they're not supposed to do

     No. I still attend the showings though

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I also went through something very similar.  I personally still settled on the open house.  I'll usually plan two, a Saturday or Sunday afternoon say 12-2, and then a Wed evening call it 5:30-7.  Anyone who reaches out and is interested they are told when the open houses are.  I find that the rental market is so hot at the moment that most people are filling out applications and submitting them without seeing the unit, and will wait until the application is accepted before seeing it.  I'm also finding for out of state people moving to the area that virtual tours are great and that those same video tours work for people who can't make the open house.

    I don't use anything fancy for my own units just Zillow and their rental manager and it works pretty well for the two units we have personally.  

    I had many no-shows many times over and now I just book those times into my calendar for the open house and bring my hotspot and plan to work if no one shows up...so either way I try and make it productive.

    Also if this is just something you don't want to deal with anymore and are willing to pay someone, tenant placing services and leasing services might be available from your realtor or a realtor in your area.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    I ask several pre-qual questions in my ad that must be answered and only schedule showing times when I planned to be at the property working on it anyway. 

    With my questions I can wade through 30 inquiries in just minutes and on the very rare occasion I am stiffed I was already going to be there anyway.  

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    @Charles Heistand we have experienced the same issue with people not showing up. We have have a pretty good process that now prevents no shows:

    1. We have a list of pre-screen questions to eliminate people that will be a waste of time. We also get the persons first and last name along with phone number. 

    2. We tell people to text us when they leave for the property. I tell them that I will only show up if they text me. This is actually a good test of how responsible the tenant is. 

    We don't like applications before showing. It can be costly for the applicant and once you agree to the showing, it implies they are approved. I like to meet people before application approval. Applicants always reveal additional information during the showing. 

    One other thing to consider. December is a bad month to be trying to rent a property in Ohio. Less people move between Thanksgiving and Christmas and during cold weather in general. I would have had those units ready to rent by August.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Charles Heistand:

    Hello Bigger Pockets!

     We had 40 people reach out to us being interested, booked 15 of those people and only 4 people actually showed up for their appointment that they booked with only one application!

    Hi Charles,

    9 out of 15 simply drove by and didn't come in.

    Perhaps the curb appeal of other 9 places they looked at yesterday were better than yours.

    Or were in more desirable locations (once they got in the area).

    Your place doesn't have to look like the Munsters house for this to happen, just less than the competition in some way.

    People want to live where they feel the fit into the area, and they want to get the best place to live for their monthly rental money.

    Drive your competition and see what they are like.

    Good Luck!

    Maybe it's Curb Appeal (???)

  • MN · Member since 2018 · 78 posts · 19 votes
    4y

    We’ve experienced similar flakiness at showings, and after years of experience, we seem to have a system that works.

    When a potential tenant shows initial interest, they email me, usually asking for a time to see the property.

    I then respond with specific criteria we require for consideration, and ask for preferred times for showings.

    The flaky ones won’t even bother answering. We won’t bother replying to obscure responses that did not address our questions.

    If all goes well with our communication, we schedule multiple showings at 10-15 minute intervals and require a text confirming they are coming.


    It has saved time and generally we receive a solid application rather quickly.

  • Real Estate Broker · Detroit, MI · Member since 2014 · 384 posts · 149 votes
    4y

    We make the prospect complete an online rental application and upload their income documents. There is not a fee for them to do this but this is the only way they’re able to schedule a showing.

  • Investor · Richmond, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Charles Heistand,

    We do 2 showings, normally Saturday 2-3PM and Sunday 3-4PM.    Nothing more, nothing less.

    I estimate I tell about 50% of the  Saturday people 2PM, and the other half 3:30PM-- this creates a nice flow, you will have a few that come early, those are the ones that likely want it the most, but most will be 15 mins or so late, and that's okay.    This minimizes time wasted.  

    The amount of people  that show up depends on the perceived value of your house, if it's a great price and people really want it -- they will be there.. if it's okay, they are iffy and will stand you up.     I have had some where I thought it might be 25 people-- turned out to be 2, and some when i thought 20 -- it was like 40.   

    I also copy/paste the same reminder text to everyone an hour before a showing--- just a quick reminder of the appointment!

    Copy/Paste is your best friend.   I just did a rental, I think I got 160 emails, 24 applications, and I copy/paste the same thing to everyone explaining the criteria/time of showing/what we need for minimum qualifications/etc.. copy paste is your best friend.     Personally, I might have a few emails ahead of time with someone-- but until you meet them in person,  you may be wasting your time as they might be a no-show.   If someone comes to showing-- it shows they actually want the place and are serious, the emails/calls it's all on the fence and possibly a waste of time-- the showings are your real potential tenants.   

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    @Charles Heistand,

    We do 2 showings, normally Saturday 2-3PM and Sunday 3-4PM.    Nothing more, nothing less.

    I estimate I tell about 50% of the  Saturday people 2PM, and the other half 3:30PM-- this creates a nice flow, you will have a few that come early, those are the ones that likely want it the most, but most will be 15 mins or so late, and that's okay.    This minimizes time wasted.  

    The amount of people  that show up depends on the perceived value of your house, if it's a great price and people really want it -- they will be there.. if it's okay, they are iffy and will stand you up.  I have had some where I thought it might be 25 people-- turned out to be 2, and some when i thought 20 -- it was like 40.   

    I also copy/paste the same reminder text to everyone an hour before a showing--- just a quick reminder of the appointment!

    Copy/Paste is your best friend.   I just did a rental, I think I got 160 emails, 24 applications, and I copy/paste the same thing to everyone explaining the criteria/time of showing/what we need for minimum qualifications/etc.. copy paste is your best friend.     Personally, I might have a few emails ahead of time with someone-- but until you meet them in person,  you may be wasting your time as they might be a no-show.   If someone comes to showing-- it shows they actually want the place and are serious, the emails/calls it's all on the fence and possibly a waste of time-- the showings are your real potential tenants.   

     I agree on copy / paste. We have shared notes files on our phones that have preformatted text for various responses. Not only is it a time saver, but consistency is important in the screening process. You want to treat everyone the same, right down to the wording of your communications. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    4y

    One other point worth making is you want quality, not quantity. I would rather have one excellent prospect show up, versus 40 poorly qualified prospects. We didn't understand this early in our investing career and wasted a ton of time. We have very few showings when we have vacancies now, but every one is highly qualified. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles · Member since 2019 · 157 posts · 175 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    @Charles Heistand,


    The amount of people  that show up depends on the perceived value of your house, if it's a great price and people really want it -- they will be there.. if it's okay, they are iffy and will stand you up.     

    Couldn't agree more here. If you pricing is on the high end people will consider your rental as their last ditch option when they exhausted all the other options or couldn't qualify elsewhere. Sometimes even dropping your price just a small amount below the competition is enough to trigger that this is a good deal better act fast response. "How you do one thing, is how you do everything" applies here - good tenants will be respectful, honor their commitments and communicate right from the first meeting.   

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2017 · 751 posts · 504 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Charles Heistand:

    Hello Bigger Pockets!

    My wife and I acquired a 6 unit apartment building in July of this year. Three of the units were empty when we purchased it. One of the three units was fully renovated and we rented it immediately after taking possession and the other 2 units needed renovating and have been working on one of them since. That unit is now ready to rent and will be starting to work on the final unit. We self mange the property which can be rewarding but can be very frustrating at the same time.

    The most frustrating piece that we have run into so far is showing the unit to prospective tenants.

    The first unit that we rented we did all private showings. We had 40 people reach out to us being interested, booked 15 of those people and only 4 people actually showed up for their appointment that they booked with only one application!

    The second unit that we have that we are in the process of renting we scheduled an open house and tried to limit the number of private showings to those who couldn't make it to the open house to try to eliminate the wasted time we had the first time. The open house was a complete bust no one showed up and we sat there doing paperwork for 2.5 hours. (Good time to get paperwork completed) One of the private showings that we had scheduled because of not being able to make it to the open house didn't show up today.

    Trying to get these two units rented has really shown us that people just don't follow through with what they schedule to do in their life. Both of us were raised that if you said you were going to do something you did it or gave notice that it wouldn't happen for a specific reason. I guess the world just doesn't work like that any longer...

    The question that I have for everyone is what does everyone else do to show their properties to eliminate as many no shows as possible and to keep as much of your time as possible?

    If you do an open house how long do you do it for and how far advance do you advertise?

    If you do private showings how do you try to ensure that they actually show up? How long do you wait prior to leaving if they don't show up?

    Do you collect the application and application fee prior to showing or after?

    Anything that we should try different next time to have better success?

    We are located in southwest Ohio which makes it harder to rent units in the winter which is why we are having some issues this time but the first unit we did was in July which I would have thought would have been a large rental month.

    I would appreciate any help that you are able to give us to try in the future.

     In our neck of the woods, it's common to simply use a lockbox and give the code to potential tenants. Or even better, use a digital keypad so you can track everything better.

  • Member since 2021 · 38 posts · 21 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:
    Originally posted by @Charles Heistand:

    The question that I have for everyone is what does everyone else do to show their properties to eliminate as many no shows as possible and to keep as much of your time as possible?

    If you do an open house how long do you do it for and how far advance do you advertise?

    If you do private showings how do you try to ensure that they actually show up? How long do you wait prior to leaving if they don't show up?

    Do you collect the application and application fee prior to showing or after?

    Anything that we should try different next time to have better success?

    My recommendation is that you purchase a key lockbox for the property or install a door lock with a keypad (EXAMPLE). When someone calls to schedule a showing, prescreen them verbally to see if they're likely to pass your screening. Just explaining that you run a credit/criminal background on every adult, won't accept pets, or some other policy may be enough to scare them off.

    When someone is serious and wants to schedule a showing, schedule the showing with them but don't drive to the property. If they show up at the scheduled time, have them text you a picture of their driver's license next to the lock. Text them the code and ask them to text you back when they are done. Now you get in your car and drive over to ensure it's locked after the showing. You can also change the temp code so that individual can't come back in.

    That is genuinely horrible advice! You're a property manager?! Tell me you don't do this to client properties?! Just like a tenant picking their house, I pick the tenant. I would never under any circumstances allow a tenant I have not met in person. Also everybody is afraid of scams these days, on both sides, both sides need to see the person or you're going to get scammed or robbed. Doesn't matter if you have their ID, it could easily be fake, you have no way to check.

    When I am showing a house I am investigating the tenant. What kind of car do they have? Is it clean? Are they clean? How are they dressed? Do they stink? Do they obviously smoke? Is there something totally weird about them you can't place but you don't trust them? Do they have 17 kids they never said anything about? Do girl and boy fight constantly? All of these and more are things I am checking. Just because you filled out an application and saw the house does not mean that I am going to pick you. My decision simply cannot be made without a meeting.

    Additionally, any pets are approved only on a case by case basis, so I have to meet any pet.

    Approving literally random strangers is so ridiculous! For the same reason I would never hire a property manager, but if I had to and this is what they did, many strong words would be used towards them...

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jon R.:
    That's the great thing about living in a country where I'm free to run my business the way I see fit. I own 33 rentals and manage another 360 for others. I also network with hundreds of professional property managers around the country, many of them managing thousands of units. Self showings with a lockbox are increasingly common, there are ways to protect yourself, and it's a legitimate option to consider. Or you can continue self showing, counting kids, judging people based on the car they drive rather than the data that matters, and even going door-to-door to collect cash rent because you're afraid of hackers. You do you.

    Could an applicant show a fake ID? Sure!@ They could also knock you over the head and rob or rape you during an in-person showing.

    Could an applicant steal the appliances or copper pipes? Sure! They could also scope the place out during your in-person showing, then come back to an empty house that night, break the window, and steal the appliances when they have more time.

    Everyone has to evaluate their own situation. What's the crime level in your area? Are you in a B-class neighborhood or a D-class? Do you know how to spot a fake ID? Do you have processes in place to reduce the risk of theft during self-showing?

    I know property managers that have literally done thousands and thousands of self-showings with lockboxes. I've only heard of one that had a problem with theft and the insurance covered it.

    YMMV
    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    @Charles Heistand I am curious as i don't see any bringing this up as of yet, but do you realize you just sang the "Why Didn't I Get A Pro PM" song? I get to hear it's sweet screech every week, over and over again. It most often has the opening act of "You Don't Need A PM". 

    Firstly it's important to realize 2 important lessons here; (a) this is not the best way to go about it, at all. And (b) there is FT Professionals out there who are market experts in doing it a FAR better way. 

    Things brings what realization I hope you've arrived at which is Hire Your Weakness. 

    Let's look at it this way, say your a Veterinarian by profession and instead of a rental business you purchased a restaurant, would you be the "Chef" and cook everything? Why there is this collective delusion that by some wrinkle in space-time a housing business does not have similar impacts to the fundamentals of every other business in existence is beyond me. There is a BIG separation between ownership of the business and Operation of the business, and one does not magically bestow powers of the other unto a person. 

    As far as what can be done differently, in a word, everything. 

    How to find out what the everything is, IF you can do any of them, and how to get there, it's simple, go find and hire a great PM and learn everything from them, it is seriously that simple. A great PM will have no problem sharing with you there process's and how it all works which will be a process that will take considerable time. Why are they fearless of such, because as a client get's more informed of all that it takes and is done, a client appreciates the PM more and more because it's found out it's a hell of a lot, and 99% are not willing or capable of putting together such a system. 

    That's the unfiltered truth. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jon R.:
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:
    Originally posted by @Jon R.:
    That's the great thing about living in a country where I'm free to run my business the way I see fit. I own 33 rentals and manage another 360 for others. I also network with hundreds of professional property managers around the country, many of them managing thousands of units. Self showings with a lockbox are increasingly common, there are ways to protect yourself, and it's a legitimate option to consider. Or you can continue self showing, counting kids, judging people based on the car they drive rather than the data that matters, and even going door-to-door to collect cash rent because you're afraid of hackers. You do you.

    Could an applicant show a fake ID? Sure!@ They could also knock you over the head and rob or rape you during an in-person showing.

    Could an applicant steal the appliances or copper pipes? Sure! They could also scope the place out during your in-person showing, then come back to an empty house that night, break the window, and steal the appliances when they have more time.

    Everyone has to evaluate their own situation. What's the crime level in your area? Are you in a B-class neighborhood or a D-class? Do you know how to spot a fake ID? Do you have processes in place to reduce the risk of theft during self-showing?

    I know property managers that have literally done thousands and thousands of self-showings with lockboxes. I've only heard of one that had a problem with theft and the insurance covered it.

    YMMV

     Oh yes, I forgot your opinion is more important because you are a property manager. I've never met anybody who is bad at their job! You really have an attitude problem...

    Also nothing you said addresses the issue of actually meeting the tenant. 

    Every time you brag I wonder, why do you have to work for other people? I own real estate, I make a bunch of money, and I own absolutely everything. I am essentially retired at age 37. If you're so good why do you still have to work? I'm a property manager too, and I have far more freedom to do whatever I want than you do.

    I won't touch a property that does not make at least $500/month profit. 33 properties would be $16,500/mo, you clearly are not making that much. Profit per unit must be incredibly small.

    Disagreement is the foundational tenant of American Freedom, so is respect and this response is, even if 100% correct on every data point, the single most disrespectful response I have ever read, bar none. I believe you owe a public apology. 

    I might remind that without W2 wage earners, we have near to 0 tenants. I LOVE and respect W2 wage earners, even though I am self-made and have been for decades. I personally do not "get" with that choice of life, AND I do NOT demean anyone for choosing a path different than mine, their life, there choice. 

    I would hope a person of 37 years life experience would understand such, and act more of 37 years life experience than 17..... Actually that isn't fair, I expect better from a 17yr old, maybe 7, yes, I could expect such "nah nah I'm better than you are" from a 7yr old. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Gesner:
    Originally posted by @Jon R.:
    That's the great thing about living in a country where I'm free to run my business the way I see fit. I own 33 rentals and manage another 360 for others. I also network with hundreds of professional property managers around the country, many of them managing thousands of units. Self showings with a lockbox are increasingly common, there are ways to protect yourself, and it's a legitimate option to consider. Or you can continue self showing, counting kids, judging people based on the car they drive rather than the data that matters, and even going door-to-door to collect cash rent because you're afraid of hackers. You do you.

    Could an applicant show a fake ID? Sure!@ They could also knock you over the head and rob or rape you during an in-person showing.

    Could an applicant steal the appliances or copper pipes? Sure! They could also scope the place out during your in-person showing, then come back to an empty house that night, break the window, and steal the appliances when they have more time.

    Everyone has to evaluate their own situation. What's the crime level in your area? Are you in a B-class neighborhood or a D-class? Do you know how to spot a fake ID? Do you have processes in place to reduce the risk of theft during self-showing?

    I know property managers that have literally done thousands and thousands of self-showings with lockboxes. I've only heard of one that had a problem with theft and the insurance covered it.

    YMMV

     Without doubt Remote Showings are the next evolution with a tech-driven real estate world. Just like countless industry segment's it's the "how" that takes time to sort out and perfect. 

    I see a time soon coming that utilization of cameras, digital locks all networking with a central system to verifies identity for self showings is soon to be "the way" and in short order become the standard. All of these exist, it's just a matter of networking all together well. Zillow has nearly perfected this in their showings already. 

    In truth and reality the only thing stopping anyone from doing any heinous criminal act at any given moment, is themselves. laws are for accountability, there is the fear of accountability and punishment although it is always a choice. How many times a day do people decide NOT to rob a bank, to NOT run a red light, to NOT grab items and run out a store. It's choice and far too little is noticed how yes, the vast majority of people in the U.S. are law abiding decent people BY CHOICE. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.