Renters asking to have pet, I have no pet policy

Renters asking to have pet, I have no pet policy

Rental Property Investor · Oshkosh, WI · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes

I have a duplex and I live in one side and rent the other. I have had renters in there for 10 months and they're asking if they can get a rescue dog. I have a no pet policy which was on the lease. I had remodeled their unit to repair pet damage from past renters, as well as I remodeled my unit for the same reasons, therefore I chose not to allow pets. I don't want to deal with more pet damage, and I live in a country subdivision with alot of families with small children so I wouldn't want the dog to be disruptive, plus I live in the house as well. Am I wrong to stick with my no pet policy or should I allow them to get one? My insurance will not cover bully breeds, which are the majority of the rescue dogs I've seen on the websites.

2Reply
80 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 304 posts · 347 votes
4y

@Cindy Schneider it sounds like a clear "no" for very sound reasons.  You are not wrong! We don't allow pets in most of our rentals. If we do, there is an interview with the pet and renters. If approved, a non refundable pet fee (not a deposit) and increase of monthly rent in a lease addendum.

See this reply in the discussion

40 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 304 posts · 347 votes
    4y

    @Cindy Schneider it sounds like a clear "no" for very sound reasons.  You are not wrong! We don't allow pets in most of our rentals. If we do, there is an interview with the pet and renters. If approved, a non refundable pet fee (not a deposit) and increase of monthly rent in a lease addendum.

  • Bill SchrimpfBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Reno, NV · Member since 2014 · 349 posts · 189 votes
    4y

    @Cindy Schneider - Some people take excellent care of pets, most do not.  

    If you choose to allow the pet, get an addendum to your existing lease explaining the terms and additional pet rent.  That is where you limit breeds.  In my state, calling something a deposit (pet deposit) is not the best option because the property owner needs to document pet damage to retain the pet deposit.  A rent increase may impact the tenant's decision.

    ERA Realty Central - Bill Schrimpf58 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 53 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    If your past-self--who paid for those repairs and put the "No Pet" policy in place--could respond, what would she say to you?

    In my mind, I say stick to your guns. You made that choice at the time for reasons that seemed the best course. Sticking to your guns also incentivizes them to find a pet-friendly place and either break the lease or wait until the lease expires.

  • Real Estate Agent · Detroit · Member since 2020 · 127 posts · 63 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Cindy Schneider:

    I have a duplex and I live in one side and rent the other. I have had renters in there for 10 months and they're asking if they can get a rescue dog. I have a no pet policy which was on the lease. I had remodeled their unit to repair pet damage from past renters, as well as I remodeled my unit for the same reasons, therefore I chose not to allow pets. I don't want to deal with more pet damage, and I live in a country subdivision with alot of families with small children so I wouldn't want the dog to be disruptive, plus I live in the house as well. Am I wrong to stick with my no pet policy or should I allow them to get one? My insurance will not cover bully breeds, which are the majority of the rescue dogs I've seen on the websites.

    I feel like you should think about it if it makes your rental unit more competitive when it comes to finding tenants. But if it rents out just fine without the pet policy then keep it like it is. 
  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    4y

    Most of the time I say you should do what makes the most sense financially speaking, but in this case the renter lives next door to you so there's a quality of life issue you have to consider as well. Shelter dogs can make excellent pets (I've rescued several) or they can have severe behavioral problems.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    You should stick to your policy - that's why they're called policies. Be aware that they may try to 'end around' you with the Emotional Support Animal ruse. Look that up. You cannot deny them if they do even though this is usually fraudulent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oshkosh, WI · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Since I live on the other side, I am a bit less lenient with things like this. If I didn't live there, I may have considered allowing pets, but I would have done that up front when initially renting the units. I have no issues finding renters, in fact right now there is a housing shortage around my area. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oshkosh, WI · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    You should stick to your policy - that's why they're called policies. Be aware that they may try to 'end around' you with the Emotional Support Animal ruse. Look that up. You cannot deny them if they do even though this is usually fraudulent.


    I was worried about that also, since I've had past applicants with ESA's even though I had no pets, so then I can't charge any fees for that. I'm not against animals by any means, I used to have several, but the rental industry is so different, renters don't care as much for the properties, my current property was one of them, and I spent alot of money to remodel. I've only been in this place for 3 years so far. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Cindy Schneider:

    Since I live on the other side, I am a bit less lenient with things like this. If I didn't live there, I may have considered allowing pets, but I would have done that up front when initially renting the units. I have no issues finding renters, in fact right now there is a housing shortage around my area. 


    And there's your answer. Stick to your guns and enforce your 'No Pet' POLICY. If they leave, raise your rents and find someone else. Reword your lease if necessary, to make it clear that you do not allow pets. Have the tenants initial next to this so you know they understand.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    There are no "Pit" cats.

    Maybe allow them a cat or two.

  • Rental Property Investor · Oshkosh, WI · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Cindy Schneider:

    Since I live on the other side, I am a bit less lenient with things like this. If I didn't live there, I may have considered allowing pets, but I would have done that up front when initially renting the units. I have no issues finding renters, in fact right now there is a housing shortage around my area. 


    And there's your answer. Stick to your guns and enforce your 'No Pet' POLICY. If they leave, raise your rents and find someone else. Reword your lease if necessary, to make it clear that you do not allow pets. Have the tenants initial next to this so you know they understand.


     Yes, that sounds like a good idea, if they leave I can raise the rent and stay with my policy. I only have 1 unit to find renters for and so far have not had an issue. I'm a first time landlord and all of this is still new to me, and I've done a lot of research, but I always run into unexpected things like this.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    Maybe allow them a cat or two.

    Sorry, but maybe stick to the NO PET POLICY.......? Why give into a tenant in any market, let alone a hot one like she's in? Next they'll ask for something else that she doesn't allow......


  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    I agree with the sentiment here. 

    1) The purpose of allowing pets in your rental is to increase the pool of applicants, which allows you to either/both charge more rent, or have better qualified applicants. 

    2) You absolutely can't allow dogs that will void your insurance policy, or will not be covered by your insurance policy. Bully breeds are a nonstarter. 

    I'd zoom out and make a business decision here at a higher level. 

    Personally, in my market in Denver, I allow pets, including large dogs. But, I am also compensated for allowing those animals as I make that very clear on the rental listings, and get more tenant applications and likely command a higher rent from qualified applicants than competitors who do not allow pets. 

    It could make all the sense in the world, as a policy to allow pets. If you do, charge pet rent, charge a deposit, and move your rent to market for similar properties that allow pets. Make it clear which breeds are not allowed, by your insurance.

    If you aren't going to get these advantages, then say no.

  • Chris LopezPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 858 votes
    4y

    @Cindy SchneiderI allow pets in my rental. Agreed, no aggressive breeds. According to PM's, cats' are often worse than dogs.

    Also, a  great tip from a PM. Don't charge a separate pet deposit, rather increase the security deposit. If you charge an extra $500 for a pet deposit, but the pet does 1500 in damages, you can only keep $500 from the pet deposit. If it's one deposit, you can keep up to the full amount.

    I'm Denver, Colorado. Not sure if laws are different in other states. Check with a PM and your local rules

  • Member since 2022 · 53 posts · 24 votes
    4y

    The other problem with a separate pet deposit is that there's no way the dog's gonna have that kind of cash.

  • Flipper · Hightstown, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    I recently had a tenant who broke our no pet policy.  The PM served her with the warning regarding breaking the lease in this manner.  A few weeks later she requested that we allow her pet as an ESA and we did some research. What we found is that you can get the documentation at no cost and with no proof of need, but our lawyer said as a landlord in Florida you're not obligated to accept the paperwork unless it's backed up by a doctor's letter. When we asked for documentation from her physician she backed down, and fortunately she was at the end of her lease so we did not renew.  It's a real loophole though, and a real minefield to navigate

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 661 posts · 389 votes
    4y

    @Cindy Schneider  In my rental property I allow pets but am very particular about the type. My preference is a dog under 35 pounds and not a heavy shedding type, aggressive, or a puppy. In addition, I have made sure the floors are pet "proof" and furnishings (my unit is furnished) are durable but not so expensive that I can't replace them if needed. I have NO problem getting renters and I know how important companion animals can be. Just be sure to interview the tenant AND the animal if possible. I require a non-refundable pet deposit. 

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Stick to your policy.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    I believe the ESA concerns would not be applicable as the OP would fall under the Mrs. Murphy exemption, correct?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bonnie Griffin Kaake:

    In addition, I have made sure the floors are pet "proof" 

    How in the world do you 'pet proof' a floor? The only floors that come close to that are tile - with epoxy grout.


  • Rental Property Investor · Oshkosh, WI · Member since 2019 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    4y

    Thanks for all your advice! I will stick with not pets and I'll have to research about ESA animals in case they come back with that. I put all new flooring in the upper level of their unit, its a bi-level duplex, and the bedrooms are in the basement, which has carpeting, as did my side, but I tore my carpet out due to years of dog urine never cleaned out of it, which soaked into the cement and even after enzyme cleaning and layers of scent sealing paint and then vinyl plank flooring, I can still smell it in the damp weather.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Denver, CO · Member since 2021 · 661 posts · 389 votes
    4y

    @Bruce Woodruff  Sheet vinyl or planks work best for floors where there are pets. Don't go with the cheapest though or you will be disappointed. I have had large dogs, German Shepard and a Yellow Lab, in the past. The floor was not a problem, but the pet hair was awful. I had to clean again after the professional cleaning just to get all the pet hair out of the furnishings and from under furniture. Tile floors are good too, especially in Arizona or Florida. In Colorado, they are usually very expensive and can be cold in our winters.   

  • Patrick DruryBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Cindy Schneider
    If the lease says no then I would stick to the lease vs picking and choosing what they need to follow. My pet policy is it's a $300 non-refundable fee for every animal, up to 3 animals, and an extra $25 a month in rent per month. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Personally I allow and encourage pets but I also do sfh’s so I don’t have to worry about noise as much.  The issue with a rescue dog is they don’t know it’s behavior.  Sure many are great but there are also some there for a reason.  I would ask yourself are you willing to permanently change your no pet policy.  Whatever you decide to permanently do is your answer but making exceptions is where you get yourself into trouble.  

  • Asheville, NC · Member since 2017 · 385 posts · 274 votes
    4y

    Read what you wrote in your post. There is your answer. It is almost like you are trying to talk yourself out of your own no pet policy.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.