Would you rent to a stripper??

Would you rent to a stripper??

Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes

I'm going through a turnover on my SFH in Denver. The house will be rent ready in 2 weeks and so far the best application I've received is from a "independent contractor" working for a high end strip club. Everything on her application is well above my qualifications…background, credit score, rental history, no pets, income, etc. She provided very thorough documentation. Only thing I don't know is her stage name. Kidding!

Should I continue to be patient and hope for better applications to come in? Her IG profile is definitely not appropriate for my kids to see. I manage this rental myself so I’m not exactly sure how to handle this situation.

5Reply
245 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
3y

seems like that is a pretty recession proof tenant.. that would be a no brainier for us.. they check out that well.  compared to section 8 or marginal tenant 

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y

    seems like that is a pretty recession proof tenant.. that would be a no brainier for us.. they check out that well.  compared to section 8 or marginal tenant 

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    I would. I rent to one "working girl". One of her "boyfriends" pays the rent on time every month.

  • Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    Thanks. Maybe I’m just overthinking it.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I would, she qualifies.

  • Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Aloha, 

    ...as long as you don't allow cash rent payments.
  • Rental Property Investor · Somewhere over the Rainbow · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Absolutely!

    Multiple ways to get her rent paid! Maintenance calls may be more fun as well (since you self manage)!

    Win - Win!

    I guess some people just have it better than others...

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I would consider the consistency of the income, is she making most her money off tips? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Sisters, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    As a former Chip and Dale dancer I find this question offensive.  Just because chicks couldn’t resist my perfectly chiseled pecks and abs does not mean I am just hunk of meat.


    seriously though I’m sure drug dealer boyfriend can cover her rent if the club is slow for a few weeks.  Lol

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Devan W.:

    I'm going through a turnover on my SFH in Denver. The house will be rent ready in 2 weeks and so far the best application I've received is from a "independent contractor" working for a high end strip club. Everything on her application is well above my qualifications…background, credit score, rental history, no pets, income, etc. She provided very thorough documentation. Only thing I don't know is her stage name. Kidding!

    Should I continue to be patient and hope for better applications to come in? Her IG profile is definitely not appropriate for my kids to see. I manage this rental myself so I’m not exactly sure how to handle this situation.

    I once had a stripper for a tenant and it was "hell to pay". They always paid on time, in wrinkled $1 and $5 dollar bills. Drove my accountant crazy.
    The life style they lead at home will cause neighbors being upset, very late night police calls and eventually either gang bangers or motorcycle gangs.  They don't get off "work" until 2:00 in the morning and then they have friends over "to chill out for a couple of hours". You might be able to charge extra for the "friends" that sleep over, but getting them to pay is a bit risky. Not only that, there is always someone who wants to make a buck at their expense, so be vigilant who she calls her "boy friend". . . At least the motorcycle gangs had neat bikes. A little noisy according to the neighbors, buy hey, it's a Harley! Or 10 Harleys or whatever. They make that cool noisy deep throated sound. Strippers are one group that doesn't "leave work, at work". 

    It was a "wide eyed" opening experience. Never again. 

    Not that there aren't worse tenants, it's just the "friends" that take over the neighborhood as a result are more than I bargained for.

    The police did say that if it was deemed a "drug house" the DEA might confiscate the house and everything about it. I don't know if that is true or not but I wasn't willing to find out. I got their message. 

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/14...

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Account Closed LOL, I'm glad my tenant seems to have more of a high brow thing going on.

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jill F.:

    @Account Closed LOL, I'm glad my tenant seems to have more of a high brow thing going on.

    Sometimes things are a flip of the coin and you can't tell in advance which way it will go. ;-)

    When the "boyfriend" pays the rent, if she makes the money but doesn't pay the rent, why is her "boyfriend" payiing it? Seems like maybe she does "the work" and gives it all to the "boyfriend". There is a word for that in the english language, I just can't think of the word at the moment. ;-) 

    What happens if he stops paying and you try to evict? Evictions can get pretty nasty. I hope that doesn't become a problem for you. 

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @Jill F.:

    @Account Closed LOL, I'm glad my tenant seems to have more of a high brow thing going on.

    Sometimes things are a flip of the coin and you can't tell in advance which way it will go. ;-)

    When the "boyfriend" pays the rent what happens if he stops paying and you try to evict? Evictions can get pretty nasty. i hope that doesn't become a problem for you. 

    I guess it could but she's been there since I bought the place in 2020, she's a good neighbor, she's easy to deal with so at this point I don't figure she's anymore of a risk than anyone else would be if they lost their job-- perhaps less since she's real likeable (which is probably at least partly why she's good at her job). 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Newport News, VA · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 54 votes
    3y

    @Devan W. If she qualifies and everything checks out just do it. Who cares what her professional career is, especially when it’s a legal one!!

    Don’t get caught up with discrimination, just remember you are posting it on a public forum where everyone has access to it … Just my opinion..

    good luck!!

  • Beaverton, OR · Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Why would you not? If they can pay on time its a legal profitable job and at the end of the day you are running a buisness that I am sure you run it  under the equal opportunity act, furthermore  since you post this on a public forum you kinda now have to...

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @LaJoy Toney:

    Why would you not? If they can pay on time its a legal profitable job and at the end of the day you are running a buisness that I am sure you run it  under the equal opportunity act, furthermore  since you post this on a public forum you kinda now have to...

    @Huso Akaratovic: Posting on a forum does not commit you to any such thing.

    It would be cool if people actually understood the law (or asked an attorney). But, I wish for too much . . . 

  • Beaverton, OR · Member since 2022 · 10 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Account Closed:
    Quote from @LaJoy Toney:

    Why would you not? If they can pay on time its a legal profitable job and at the end of the day you are running a buisness that I am sure you run it  under the equal opportunity act, furthermore  since you post this on a public forum you kinda now have to...

    Posting on a forum does not commit you to any such a thing.
    Ok
  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2019 · 97 posts · 38 votes
    3y

    @Devan W. It’s 1:43am. I can’t sleep. I decide to open up the biggerpockets forum and this is the first questions I see lol if everything checks out on paper I guess the last thing left is a interview

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    If everything checks out, I would.  Just because you may not like her occupation, doesn't mean she'd be a bad tenant.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    Her job is legal, and she qualifies. I require proof of income, which means W-2, bank statements, pay stubs, etc. If she's reporting a bunch of income "off the books" then I wouldn't allow it.

    However, you can guarantee I would be keeping my eye on her. People in certain professions are often troubled in some way and bring trouble with them.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    That’s why I’m hesitant is because of the potential baggage that comes along with a risky profession like that. Her boyfriend with face tattoos may or may not still be in the picture…if so I need an app from him. Also her 3 kids under 10 years old flipping off the camera on their Christmas card photo last year has me concerned to say the least.

    To be clear, I won’t deny the app just because of her profession. I’m just being cautious here with the due diligence process.

  • Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Quote from @LaJoy Toney:

    Why would you not? If they can pay on time its a legal profitable job and at the end of the day you are running a buisness that I am sure you run it  under the equal opportunity act, furthermore  since you post this on a public forum you kinda now have to...

    So, just because I asked for people’s opinions on the subject means I’m obligated to approve her app? Hmmm…doubt it.
  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Devan W.:

    I'm going through a turnover on my SFH in Denver. The house will be rent ready in 2 weeks and so far the best application I've received is from a "independent contractor" working for a high end strip club. Everything on her application is well above my qualifications…background, credit score, rental history, no pets, income, etc. She provided very thorough documentation. Only thing I don't know is her stage name. Kidding!

    Should I continue to be patient and hope for better applications to come in? Her IG profile is definitely not appropriate for my kids to see. I manage this rental myself so I’m not exactly sure how to handle this situation.


     Why not?  Also you better be very careful ,you need to know " fair housing laws .

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2022 · 112 posts · 71 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Devan W.:

    I'm going through a turnover on my SFH in Denver. The house will be rent ready in 2 weeks and so far the best application I've received is from a "independent contractor" working for a high end strip club. Everything on her application is well above my qualifications…background, credit score, rental history, no pets, income, etc. She provided very thorough documentation. Only thing I don't know is her stage name. Kidding!

    Should I continue to be patient and hope for better applications to come in? Her IG profile is definitely not appropriate for my kids to see. I manage this rental myself so I’m not exactly sure how to handle this situation.


    I rented my first place to two strippers.

    Quite frankly, they get a bad rep. 

    The roomies there have been the best tenants I have had and I would certainly allow them to rent any place.

    They paid on time, took care of the property, communicated efficiently and were very mature.

    However, this isn't everyone's experience. I did all of my due diligence and I found some great tenants.

    If she is above your qualifications then there is no reason to deny unless you suspect that she will damage your property. 

  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y

    You can't discriminate by: 

    • Race
    • Color
    • Sex
    • Age (40 and over)
    • Religious creed
    • National origin
    • Ancestry
    • Familial status (families with children under age 18)
    • Handicap or disability
    • The use, handling, or training of a guide or support animal for disability

    The gubmint doesn't give a damn if you discriminate by profession or occupation.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Fair housing law does not say you cannot reject someone in a protected class for reasons that have nothing to do with a protected class. In other words you are not obligated to rent to people in protected classes. 

    The job does not matter as much as the person. We have mostly great experiences with teachers, but one of my worst tenants ever was also a teacher. She turned a brand new house into a dirty mess within a year. The ability to keep a property in nice condition is one of my biggest criteria I look for in the interview.

    Your applicant may live a very quiet life outside from her job. I would really rely on an interview. if you really want to know check out her current address. Just like with teachers, the source of income may not be an indication of your experience.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.