Would you rent to a stripper??

Would you rent to a stripper??

Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes

I'm going through a turnover on my SFH in Denver. The house will be rent ready in 2 weeks and so far the best application I've received is from a "independent contractor" working for a high end strip club. Everything on her application is well above my qualifications…background, credit score, rental history, no pets, income, etc. She provided very thorough documentation. Only thing I don't know is her stage name. Kidding!

Should I continue to be patient and hope for better applications to come in? Her IG profile is definitely not appropriate for my kids to see. I manage this rental myself so I’m not exactly sure how to handle this situation.

5Reply
242 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
3y

seems like that is a pretty recession proof tenant.. that would be a no brainier for us.. they check out that well.  compared to section 8 or marginal tenant 

See this reply in the discussion

80 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jim K.:

    You can't discriminate by: 

    • Race
    • Color
    • Sex
    • Age (40 and over)
    • Religious creed
    • National origin
    • Ancestry
    • Familial status (families with children under age 18)
    • Handicap or disability
    • The use, handling, or training of a guide or support animal for disability

    The gubmint doesn't give a damn if you discriminate by profession or occupation.

    Thank you!
  • Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Quote from :

     Why not?  Also you better be very careful ,you need to know " fair housing laws .

    @Jim K.  gave a nice description of fair housing laws. You might want to check it out @Bob S.

  • Investor · Fairfax, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 801 votes
    3y

    If they have a job and a reference that is good enough for me.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Cleveland · Member since 2020 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Devan W.:
    Quote from :

     Why not?  Also you better be very careful ,you need to know " fair housing laws .

    @Jim K.  gave a nice description of fair housing laws. You might want to check it out @Bob S.


     why would I need to check out fair housing laws? I know them :) 

  • Investor · Houston · Member since 2022 · 80 posts · 44 votes
    3y

    Not an issue if she qualifies.

    - Make sure you have your rules well outlined in your lease. (NO Drugs! etc) and ask her/be upfront if she can abide by these rules.
    - Do NOT get personally involved with the tenant, like accepting other forms of payment etc.

  • Investor · Malakoff, TX · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Is there a reason to not rent to her that does not violate federal fair housing laws?

  • Member since 2023 · 57 posts · 27 votes
    3y

    I don't see any problem renting to a stripper. Everyone needs a place to live :) 

  • Investor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 94 posts · 32 votes
    3y

    @Jeremy H.

    🤣😂

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern NJ · Member since 2019 · 672 posts · 677 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Devan W.:

    That’s why I’m hesitant is because of the potential baggage that comes along with a risky profession like that. Her boyfriend with face tattoos may or may not still be in the picture…if so I need an app from him. Also her 3 kids under 10 years old flipping off the camera on their Christmas card photo last year has me concerned to say the least.

    To be clear, I won’t deny the app just because of her profession. I’m just being cautious here with the due diligence process.

    I was all for you renting to her until you brought this up. If she runs with guys who get face tattoos, there's a better than not chance things will end badly. I deal with people like that in my job and they all hang together, at some point or another. Unless she moved out of state and is far from him. Everyone on here will give you the thumbs up because they don't have to deal with the repercussions.

    Again, I was in the same camp until you did some sleuthing and see she possibly runs with a bad crowd. Good on you for the research. My vote is to skip her.

  • Investor · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I would rent to Jack the Ripper if he paid the rent on time. Who am I to judge?

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Devan W.:

    I'm going through a turnover on my SFH in Denver. The house will be rent ready in 2 weeks and so far the best application I've received is from a "independent contractor" working for a high end strip club. Everything on her application is well above my qualifications…background, credit score, rental history, no pets, income, etc. She provided very thorough documentation. Only thing I don't know is her stage name. Kidding!

    Should I continue to be patient and hope for better applications to come in? Her IG profile is definitely not appropriate for my kids to see. I manage this rental myself so I’m not exactly sure how to handle this situation.


     haha, I would not even do background check :-)

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Eric Gerakos:

    I would rent to Jack the Ripper if he paid the rent on time. Who am I to judge?


     I only do not have an appetite to rent to a lawyer.

    But I would rent mine to soldiers/police , an illegal immigrant, and anyone that could not speak English.

  • Investor · Livingston, MT · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 16 votes
    3y

    Under Colorado fair housing law, it is illegal for any mortgage lender to discriminate against any person in the terms, conditions, or privileges pertaining to any housing because of disability, race, creed, color, sex, sexual orientation (including transgender status), marital status, familial status, religion, national origin, or ancestry or source of income.


    If she meets your requirements in every way as you stated, you can't deny her. And why would you? 

  • Developer · Houston TX · Member since 2018 · 423 posts · 400 votes
    3y

    It's nice to see someone taking steps to verify and check a prospective tenant's background. I've met other landlords who just do a basic credit check and hand over the keys once they receive the deposit and first month's rent, then get surprised when they end up in court. The current landlord's recommendation should be taken with a grain of salt. It's better to call one of their previous landlords--they won't have much to lose by giving an honest recommendation. If this prospect checks all your boxes (real proof of income, good rental history you can verify), then it would be fine to rent to them.

    If you ask me, the better question to ask is: "What are your criteria for qualifying tenants?" This can indicate how much trust you place in your processes. If you have a low threshold for qualifying tenants, then I can see why you are uncomfortable making a decision based on just those qualifications. If your criteria require a potential tenant's credit score is over 700, income is greater than 3x the monthly rent, and their rental history shows stability, then trust your process. Otherwise, what's the point of having processes in place?

     Best of luck 

  • V.G JasonPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    No one's asked the main question, how do you own the house? Under your name?

    This is asking for trouble. It doesn't mean it'll come, but if it does, how are you prepared?

    I'd be fine with renting to a hooker if the following:

    1) She qualified and she is the one paying NOT her boyfriend manager
    2) Higher upfront deposit
    3) Multiple areas of proof that she understands the rules & regulations that come from renting this property(2-3 times via text and/or email).
    4) The leasing agreement is from my LLC that does not OWN the property.

    I wouldn't stress it, past that. I know I'm good if all that happens.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    Fair housing law does not say you cannot reject someone in a protected class for reasons that have nothing to do with a protected class. In other words you are not obligated to rent to people in protected classes. 

    The job does not matter as much as the person. We have mostly great experiences with teachers, but one of my worst tenants ever was also a teacher. She turned a brand new house into a dirty mess within a year. The ability to keep a property in nice condition is one of my biggest criteria I look for in the interview.

    Your applicant may live a very quiet life outside from her job. I would really rely on an interview. if you really want to know check out her current address. Just like with teachers, the source of income may not be an indication of your experience.


    one of the absolute hoarder houses I had .. the owner was a nurse.  the house was 2 feet deep in trash on every square inch except the front door to allow it to open.
  • Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jay Hinrichs:
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    Fair housing law does not say you cannot reject someone in a protected class for reasons that have nothing to do with a protected class. In other words you are not obligated to rent to people in protected classes. 

    The job does not matter as much as the person. We have mostly great experiences with teachers, but one of my worst tenants ever was also a teacher. She turned a brand new house into a dirty mess within a year. The ability to keep a property in nice condition is one of my biggest criteria I look for in the interview.

    Your applicant may live a very quiet life outside from her job. I would really rely on an interview. if you really want to know check out her current address. Just like with teachers, the source of income may not be an indication of your experience.


    one of the absolute hoarder houses I had .. the owner was a nurse.  the house was 2 feet deep in trash on every square inch except the front door to allow it to open.

    Jay, the new 19th Ave property may be cleared out by the time I get shots to you after closing, but this guy picked garbage and hoarded his old booze bottles. Retired Postal Service employee.

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    Ive had tenants who are strippers. Ive had no issue, other than sometimes they want to pay in cash.

    I have an investor client who is a stripper. She owns multiple multifamily properties and makes more money from stripping than many of my white collar clients make at their jobs. 

  • Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2017 · 304 posts · 347 votes
    3y

    I've rented to strippers before. They were the most consistent with payment. As @Russell Brazil mentioned the only con is they prefer to pay in cash.  I took one down to a local bank and got her a debit card to pay as I prefer to not handle cash.  

  • Real Estate Consultant · Evergreen, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 736 votes
    3y

    If she's at Shotguns, Diamond, La Boheme or Scarlett's she's probably making over $1,000 a night. 

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I have not read through all the responses but Iḿ not understanding what you mean by better applications. If she met all the rental criteria and has exceeded it, what is the beef? You personally dont like her job? What does her IG pics have to do with you or your  kids? If she has broken no laws and clearly fits and exceeds the standard criteria it seems illegal to deny them in my book. Ive had tenants with associations I may not be personally comfortable with but its business (and none of my business)  and I dont care unless itś illegal or racist. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Richmond, MO · Member since 2020 · 14 posts · 10 votes
    3y

    @Devan W. This would be a "No" for me. Go with your gut.

  • Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    I have not read through all the responses but Iḿ not understanding what you mean by better applications. If she met all the rental criteria and has exceeded it, what is the beef? You personally dont like her job? What does her IG pics have to do with you or your  kids? If she has broken no laws and clearly fits and exceeds the standard criteria it seems illegal to deny them in my book. Ive had tenants with associations I may not be personally comfortable with but its business (and none of my business)  and I dont care unless itś illegal or racist. 

     @Mark Cruse So the boyfriend with face tattoos wouldn’t concern you? Even if he qualifies? Or the kids flipping off the camera in a Christmas photo (and mom being okay with it) wouldn’t concern you? 
    If the kids act inappropriately in a Christmas photo they will almost certainly act inappropriately in my rental…and mom will likely be okay with it.

  • Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Valerie Kerste:

    @Devan W. This would be a "No" for me. Go with your gut.

    @Valerie Kerste thank you

  • Investor · Englewood, CO · Member since 2017 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luciano A.:

    It's nice to see someone taking steps to verify and check a prospective tenant's background. I've met other landlords who just do a basic credit check and hand over the keys once they receive the deposit and first month's rent, then get surprised when they end up in court. The current landlord's recommendation should be taken with a grain of salt. It's better to call one of their previous landlords--they won't have much to lose by giving an honest recommendation. If this prospect checks all your boxes (real proof of income, good rental history you can verify), then it would be fine to rent to them.

    If you ask me, the better question to ask is: "What are your criteria for qualifying tenants?" This can indicate how much trust you place in your processes. If you have a low threshold for qualifying tenants, then I can see why you are uncomfortable making a decision based on just those qualifications. If your criteria require a potential tenant's credit score is over 700, income is greater than 3x the monthly rent, and their rental history shows stability, then trust your process. Otherwise, what's the point of having processes in place?

     Best of luck 

    @Luciano A. good points. Notes taken

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.