Should I hide my real name/contact info during the rental?

Should I hide my real name/contact info during the rental?

Member since 2022 · 39 posts · 14 votes

I am a small landlord, whose 1 investment property is held in my name.  In the past I have used a property manager but thinking of doing this myself.

I was wondering if any other small landlords do anything to hide their real name and/or real address/phone number from tenants during the screening and leasing process.  If so, how?

Thanks!

0Reply
146 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
3y

Try to hide your identity and tenants will assume you are trying to pull a rental scam

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Faas:

    I am a small landlord, whose 1 investment property is held in my name.  In the past I have used a property manager but thinking of doing this myself.

    I was wondering if any other small landlords do anything to hide their real name and/or real address/phone number from tenants during the screening and leasing process.  If so, how?

    Thanks!


    I do not. Mine are all paid for and in LLC's.

    I would say honesty is the best policy. You could say you are the manager which is true.

    Carry correct insurance and take care of your properties and you should be fine.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    I use a google voice number for advertising/marketing properties and first name only for advertising on the internet but my full name is on my lease and i give all of my tenants my personal cell phone number. I want them to know that I am accountable for my properties -- and that I am the final authority regarding my properties .

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    3y

    Try to hide your identity and tenants will assume you are trying to pull a rental scam

  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y

    @Sam Faas I don’t hide my name or number. Be a good landlord solves 95% of the issues.

    Personally I think people go overboard trying to hide their identity today. It’s really not hard to find someone

    For example people who buy a loan in their name and move it to LLC - some say for asset protection and some say to hide their name - well the recorded mortgage is still in their name and it's a quit claim deed to a LLC so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure who owns the LLC

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Sam Faas I use my personal cell number and have a PO Box that I’ve had for years as my address. Over the years for various reasons a few of my tenants have discovered where I live. So far it hasn’t been a problem.

    My goal is to eventually move out of my current house hack which is in the center of my small town and very visible to something more secluded. I currently live next door to one of the areas most popular restaurants and my vehicle is somewhat distinctive if you notice it simply because no one else in the area has one, not because it’s an expensive sports car or something.

    I feel maintaining your properties correctly and being decent to your tenants is the best preventative measure we as landlords can take next to LLCs, insurance, and umbrella policies.

    Even this isn’t foolproof but it helps.

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    3y

    My tenants have my real name and contact info.  Not sure why you'd want to hide it.  If you don't want them having your home address, get a PO Box.

  • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    I challenge everyone on this thread to tell me ANYTHING good that comes from letting a tenant know you are the owner!

    What are you going to do if a tenant "snaps" and decides, through no fault of your own, that you are the cause of all their problems, so shows up at your door with a gun?

    Are you willing to gamble your life and those of your family on, "being accountable for your rentals", "being a good landlord", or "maintaining your properties correctly and being decent to your tenants"?

    Not saying you have to hide your info, but recommend ALWAYS telling them you are just the manager. 

    FYI - most states require a lease to clearly state the owner, any agent of the owner and give a physical address for rent payments.

    Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Make this easy on yourself and hire a property manager.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sumter, SC · Member since 2015 · 334 posts · 531 votes
    3y

    You can absolutely manage one rental by yourself. 

    I use a Google number in my ads but vetted tenants get my personal cell, I tell them during the application process I'm the owner/manager. I used to use a PO box but it sat collecting dust for years so I don't bother anymore...I've had people find my personal residence by looking me up on the online tax records. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y

    I don't believe in starting any relationship with lies. Be honest with them. Learn how to set boundaries and protect yourself.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7247 Reviews
  • Member since 2022 · 39 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    Thank you all for your great feedback.  I was leaning towards the honesty is the best policy, not least becasue it is the much more simpler approach and potential tenants don't feel like they are getting scammed or I have something to hide.

    I will definitely be doing the Google voice number during the leasing process.  I was leaning towards a PO Box, but the investment property is held in my name with my real address so not sure I see the value.

    I would like to think I am good and decent landlord and human being who treats people right, but just afraid of that one edge case, where someone shows up to threaten my family when I am not home.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Faas:

    I am a small landlord, whose 1 investment property is held in my name.  In the past I have used a property manager but thinking of doing this myself.

    I was wondering if any other small landlords do anything to hide their real name and/or real address/phone number from tenants during the screening and leasing process.  If so, how?

    Thanks!


     In some state it's illegal not to use your own name even when you are using a PMC.

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sam Faas:

    Thank you all for your great feedback.  I was leaning towards the honesty is the best policy, not least becasue it is the much more simpler approach and potential tenants don't feel like they are getting scammed or I have something to hide.

    I will definitely be doing the Google voice number during the leasing process.  I was leaning towards a PO Box, but the investment property is held in my name with my real address so not sure I see the value.

    I would like to think I am good and decent landlord and human being who treats people right, but just afraid of that one edge case, where someone shows up to threaten my family when I am not home.


     Imagine if you want to apply to work for large company and you are not using your own name with the same reason that you are afraid someone would threaten you , it's the same concept.

  • Morris County, NJ · Member since 2020 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    @Sam Faas

    Sounds like you have your answer.  I've done all my rentals with my own name and address.  Many times tenants would drop off the check in my mailbox, not so much anymore with Zelle.  No, I am not friends with my tenants, but I am certainly friendly.

    One way to think about it is why would I be willing to rent to somebody that I wasn't confortable with knowing my name and home?  Besides, some actually see it a as a "sign of professionalism" (it was kinda odd to me at first) when they realize that I have multiple properties.

    I would agree, however, that if you are investing in some lower class neighborhoods as has been discussed on BP, I would need to take steps.  however as I said, I wouldn't be investing in those locations.

    Good luck.

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 383 posts · 382 votes
    3y

    Like John, all of our properties are in our LLC and it has a registered agent tied to it. It make life much easier. We had one young lady, good job, good credit, good rental history but she had poor taste in men. She started dating this guy, moved him in and when we demanded he fill out our our application or move out. He became very threatening, he even drove over 80 miles thinking he was going to our office. He ended up at the UPS store (where all our mail goes) and they had to call the police.

    He never returned, as he had multiple warrants for his arrest and we didn't renew the young lady. Will this or anything like this ever happen again, I doubt it but we'll keep thing the way we have them now. Good Luck.

  • Member since 2020 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    I have an LLC that has my surname in it, which I would not do again if I do another one. I live and own in a smaller town though so it doesn't really matter, I couldn't hide it if I tried. I don't have to pretend to be the PM because I'm female and my business partner is my father, everyone assumes I just work for him. While annoying, it works in a good cop/bad cop scenario. I use a google voice number for all the business stuff, it just rings through my normal cell. They're super easy to get and set up, keeps things separate, and I feel better not having my personal number out there. Then, if I ever need to change the number for some reason, it's much easier than changing my personal number that I've had for 25 years.

  • Rental Property Investor · Closter, NJ · Member since 2015 · 884 posts · 722 votes
    3y

    Use a free Google Phone Number for Leasing and Marketing your rentals.  I don't give out my real cell phone number.

    No need to hide your real identity to the tenants, unless you are doing something nefarious.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I don't hide my name. But I don't give them my personal phone or address. Have a second phone, and use a po box for them. Even though its easy to find one's address, tenants are not allowed at my house. Have them direct deposit into a separate rental account if you can. Don't use Zelle.

  • Property Manager · New York, NY · Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Henry T.:

    I don't hide my name. But I don't give them my personal phone or address. Have a second phone, and use a po box for them. Even though its easy to find one's address, tenants are not allowed at my house. Have them direct deposit into a separate rental account if you can. Don't use Zelle.

    When you say use direct deposit, do you mean pay by ACH? Why do you say not to use Zelle? 
  • Pierre E.Pro Member
    Washington, DC · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 42 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Tim Miller:

    Like John, all of our properties are in our LLC and it has a registered agent tied to it. It make life much easier. We had one young lady, good job, good credit, good rental history but she had poor taste in men. She started dating this guy, moved him in and when we demanded he fill out our our application or move out. He became very threatening, he even drove over 80 miles thinking he was going to our office. He ended up at the UPS store (where all our mail goes) and they had to call the police.

    He never returned, as he had multiple warrants for his arrest and we didn't renew the young lady. Will this or anything like this ever happen again, I doubt it but we'll keep thing the way we have them now. Good Luck.


     This is so important thank you for sharing this. I think "what about my wife and kids" and their safety. Tenants trust us too, but theres a lot to be careful about.  I think theres a difference between integrity/honesty   and transparency/vulnerability. 

      - Take care of the property, be responsive and professional and warm to the tenant, protect your information, name number address etc as much as possible on all forms and websites without appearing to be hiding something. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.