Allow Dutch German shepherd dog in rental property?

Allow Dutch German shepherd dog in rental property?

Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote

Hi all, I’m in a bit of a predicament. I have very qualified prospective tenants but they have a Dutch German Shepard dog. Female, 54 lbs, vaccinated, potty trained and “very sweet”. I’ve only ever rented to people with small dogs in the past, so I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not. The prospective tenants themselves are lovely and have no issues qualifying, but I am seeing online that the general consensus is to never rent to people who have a German shepherd, because those dogs are prone to biting and aggression. I was wondering if this is different because it’s not a pure German shepherd, or if it’s all the same. My insurance said they don’t cover German shepherds, but said the tenant can always get renters insurance. BUT, they also said that if the dog were to injure someone, I could be sued too regardless if the tenant has insurance.

I’m not sure what to do. I would hate to lose great, qualified tenants just on the *what if* scenario of their dog injuring someone. They say it’s a sweet dog with no history of bad behavior. What has been your experience renting to people who have a restricted dog breed?


Should I rent to them? Would you? Also, does anyone have experience with mixed shephards? 

1Reply
165 views

Most Popular Reply

Colleen F.Pro Member
Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
2y

@Lara Thatcher The other point I would make is if you go with this decide how much liability you want on the renters insurance.  Consider do you have a fenced yard and is the property suited to the dog(high enough fence). I turned down a similar situation a few months ago.  I had an unfenced yard and an adjacent property so while I felt bad for them I had to manage the risk. 

I don't accept dogs in most units but its the little ones that are the biggest problem, very yappy, noise complaints.  As for tenants with animals I do understand they are part of the family but why if you are a renter do you choose a dog that is an aggressive breed?  And also although not relevant in this case I question why tenants who can barely pay their bills go out and get animals.

See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 35 votes
    2y

    Hi Lara, I would recommend getting with an attorney to see if you can maybe have the tenants sign a hold harmless agreement for if in the case the dog were to injure someone that you would not be sued for it.

    Not sure if that would help but I would definitely look into it! 
     

  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 13 votes
    2y

    Hard pass on this applicant. Everyone claims their dog is sweet. 

  • NC · Member since 2016 · 16 posts · 5 votes
    2y

    I'm working on my pet policy now, and I'm planning to request a veterinarian and prior landlord reference from all dog owners and a meet-and-greet with the dog. 

    My understanding is that if someone has a service animal or emotional support animal, I'm required to allow it in my state unless that specific animal might pose a threat to others. Someone please correct me if that's wrong. I'd rather get a well qualified tenant in the house with a dog that I can do a background check on than have a tenant move in and then produce a physician's letter and a dog that I didn't have the chance to screen.

  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Perez:

    Hi Lara, I would recommend getting with an attorney to see if you can maybe have the tenants sign a hold harmless agreement for if in the case the dog were to injure someone that you would not be sued for it.

    Not sure if that would help but I would definitely look into it! 
     

    That’s an interesting idea, Jonathan! Thank you!

    Would something like that really make me untouchable in a dog injury lawsuit if their dog were to injure a neighbor? It sounds too good to be true.
  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Kelly N.:

    I'm working on my pet policy now, and I'm planning to request a veterinarian and prior landlord reference from all dog owners and a meet-and-greet with the dog. 

    My understanding is that if someone has a service animal or emotional support animal, I'm required to allow it in my state unless that specific animal might pose a threat to others. Someone please correct me if that's wrong. I'd rather get a well qualified tenant in the house with a dog that I can do a background check on than have a tenant move in and then produce a physician's letter and a dog that I didn't have the chance to screen.

    Hi Kelly, thank you for your response! Those are very good ideas. My husband insists that dogs can go crazy one day for no reason so to not allow it all..even if it seems tame and has a history of being docile. I’m conflicted.

    That is my understanding as well. Another valid reason to not allow a specific breed is if your insurance doesn’t cover it. Or so I’ve read. I know service/esa animals are a touchy subject. I am curious if it’s a true service animal that is trained, you have to accept it no matter what. Wish I was more knowledgeable on the matter.

    I agree. It’s better to be up front and screen beforehand!




  • Member since 2023 · 5 posts · 1 vote
    2y
    Quote from @Jason Cox:

    Hard pass on this applicant. Everyone claims their dog is sweet. 

    Ha, ain’t that the truth. To echo what Kelly said, I think it would be a good idea to meet the dog to see how it reacts to strangers. But then again, if it is unaggressive towards me, that doesn’t mean it won’t randomly attack someone in the future.

    On a side note, I think it’s wacky that a person would rather have a restricted dog than a roof over their head. I took another look at their application and noticed they wrote they’ve been having a hard time finding a landlord who will accept their breed of dog. Maybe get rid of the dog then…It’s a shame because their application is superb. Any landlord (me included) would accept them in a heartbeat. The only thing holding them back is their dog.


    Thank you for your input. 

  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lara Thatcher:

    Hi all, I’m in a bit of a predicament. I have very qualified prospective tenants but they have a Dutch German Shepard dog. Female, 54 lbs, vaccinated, potty trained and “very sweet”. I’ve only ever rented to people with small dogs in the past, so I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not. The prospective tenants themselves are lovely and have no issues qualifying, but I am seeing online that the general consensus is to never rent to people who have a German shepherd, because those dogs are prone to biting and aggression. I was wondering if this is different because it’s not a pure German shepherd, or if it’s all the same. My insurance said they don’t cover German shepherds, but said the tenant can always get renters insurance. BUT, they also said that if the dog were to injure someone, I could be sued too regardless if the tenant has insurance.

    I’m not sure what to do. I would hate to lose great, qualified tenants just on the *what if* scenario of their dog injuring someone. They say it’s a sweet dog with no history of bad behavior. What has been your experience renting to people who have a restricted dog breed?


    Should I rent to them? Would you? Also, does anyone have experience with mixed shephards? 


     You should have a strict no-pet policy (unless a service animal with paperwork), or accept pets with a security deposit amount. There should be no emotional ties to the tenants (as much as possible), that is what gets you in trouble. For example, the investor looks at a house as a number (in/out number; good/bad tenant), and the family looking to live in a home looks at it as buying a home with emotional ties.. The family will be growing up here, schools are great, close to our local grocery stores, and more. 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Realtor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 35 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lara Thatcher:
    Quote from @Jonathan Perez:

    Hi Lara, I would recommend getting with an attorney to see if you can maybe have the tenants sign a hold harmless agreement for if in the case the dog were to injure someone that you would not be sued for it.

    Not sure if that would help but I would definitely look into it! 
     

    That’s an interesting idea, Jonathan! Thank you!

    Would something like that really make me untouchable in a dog injury lawsuit if their dog were to injure a neighbor? It sounds too good to be true.

     Maybe not "untouchable" but it may be an added layer of protection. 

    I would make a few quick phone calls to some real estate attorneys nearby and ask to see what your options are exactly. 

  • Ned J.Pro Member
    Investor · Manteca, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    If your insurance will not cover the breed, I would not touch it with a 10 foot pole. Not worth it.

    Lets say the tenant gets another insurance policy...so what? doesn't cover your liability. PLUS do you want to keep track of them keeping the policy in place? They can easily drop it once they are in and you are stuck. 

    PASS..... and its a German Sheppard.... you can tack on some other adjective like "Dutch" but its doesn't matter to your insurance carrier. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Laurel, MD · Member since 2016 · 378 posts · 382 votes
    2y

    We've found small dogs to be the worst and they actually bite more then the big dogs. It doesn't matter what you do, anyone can sue you. One of your tenants has a cat and it bites or scratches someone. You can be sued. It doesn't mean you'll lose the suit, just that it doesn't matter what you do. If someone is going to sue, they will sue everyone and see what sticks.

    We have a no pet under 20 lbs policy, so all the dogs in our units are big dogs. We also require a meet and greet with the dog. I would also suggest that you use www.petscreening.com for all tenants with pets. It will provide a layer of assurance for you. They will also verify assistance animals for you.

    Don't forget, you can charge a Non-refundable pet fee $300 or more. You can also increase the rent by $25 to $50 more a month. In the end it's up to you, good luck!


  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 8 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lara Thatcher:
    Quote from @Jason Cox:

    Hard pass on this applicant. Everyone claims their dog is sweet. 

    Ha, ain’t that the truth. To echo what Kelly said, I think it would be a good idea to meet the dog to see how it reacts to strangers. But then again, if it is unaggressive towards me, that doesn’t mean it won’t randomly attack someone in the future.

    On a side note, I think it’s wacky that a person would rather have a restricted dog than a roof over their head. I took another look at their application and noticed they wrote they’ve been having a hard time finding a landlord who will accept their breed of dog. Maybe get rid of the dog then…It’s a shame because their application is superb. Any landlord (me included) would accept them in a heartbeat. The only thing holding them back is their dog.


    Thank you for your input. 


     I have a 120 pound Bernese Mountain dog.  I would never get rid of a dog because a landlord said he's not allowed.  I would find a place where he is allowed, they are out there.  That being said I do not allow dogs at any of my properties unless I'm required to by law.

  • Josh YoungPro Member
    Rental Property Investor / REALTOR® / Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2023 · 384 posts · 421 votes
    2y

    @Lara Thatcher if you do accept them as a tenant it would be smart to add a clause to your lease requiring them to have and provide proof of renters insurance and make them name you as additional insured on the policy.  This is generally a good practice anyway, but I would highly recommend it if your insurance policy is not going to cover you.

  • Rental Property Investor · Beavercreek OH · Member since 2018 · 422 posts · 970 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lara Thatcher:

    Hi all, I’m in a bit of a predicament. I have very qualified prospective tenants but they have a Dutch German Shepard dog. Female, 54 lbs, vaccinated, potty trained and “very sweet”. I’ve only ever rented to people with small dogs in the past, so I’m not sure if this is a good idea or not. The prospective tenants themselves are lovely and have no issues qualifying, but I am seeing online that the general consensus is to never rent to people who have a German shepherd, because those dogs are prone to biting and aggression. I was wondering if this is different because it’s not a pure German shepherd, or if it’s all the same. My insurance said they don’t cover German shepherds, but said the tenant can always get renters insurance. BUT, they also said that if the dog were to injure someone, I could be sued too regardless if the tenant has insurance.

    I’m not sure what to do. I would hate to lose great, qualified tenants just on the *what if* scenario of their dog injuring someone. They say it’s a sweet dog with no history of bad behavior. What has been your experience renting to people who have a restricted dog breed?


    Should I rent to them? Would you? Also, does anyone have experience with mixed shephards? 

    Under 20 pounds. Over 20 pounds. Face to face meeting. Huh?
    You own the home. You have everything to lose!

     No, No, No. Hard pass.Why risk your home and your assets? An absolute no brainer.

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2023 · 7 posts · 3 votes
    2y

    @Tim Miller

    Doesn't a meet and greet with the dog increase your risk? If anything goes wrong, you've essentially vouched for a pet that you don't really know, or have any control over.

  • Real Estate Broker · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    2y

    @Lara Thatcher Talk to any real trainer and they will all say your repeating the myth of assuming breed = actions. 

    Breed = instinctive traits. The HANDLER = actions of the animal. 

    German Shepard's have an instinctive trait called "imprinting". They bond with there family as there "pack", and become territorial of their home and there pack. Yes, this includes mix's and "nice" ones, they all do/have this.     

    That means if does not have proper handlers, yes, a maintenance person could go out and get bit. A neighbor act's the fool and approaches a dog signaling "stay away" saying "oh it's ok dog's like me" and get's bit. All kinds of interactions can lead to a bite. And than, in comes the legal. 

    Why is dog's under 20lbs such a go-to in rentals? Because the meanest Chihuahua lends a bit most just shake there leg at and later laugh at. Why do we never hear of em on the news, because there not capable of serious injury. 

    I all but never allow breed's that have capacity to inflict serious injury UNLESS the handler is of such level that it removes any doubt or fear of such ever having a potential. And few to no tenant's with such animals ever meet that criteria to be honest. That's me. For novice landlords, I say it makes the most sense to keep things simple, stick to what you know, and if you don't know on this stuff than stick to animals that don't have capacity to inflict serious injury. 

    The burden of proof is on the animal owner, and any decent animal owner of such get's this and is ok with it. If a tenant flips out on such, that's evidence right there of there inability. 

    If you love these tenant's, just talk with them, share your concerns, who knows, maybe they have professional training and some certificate to lend. Never know until you simply discuss. 

  • Corey ConklinPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2021 · 129 posts · 209 votes
    2y

    Your risk doesn't lie with the animal, it lies with the owner of animal. If the tenant has a clean background and good credentials, from my experience the risk of any issues with the animal is incredibly low. People are always the higher risk when it comes to liability and not the pets. 

    The best dogs I've owned or been around have been "aggressive breeds". I've allowed many of these breeds at my properties in the past.

    It's your call whether or not to allow animals in your properties but in my opinion it's not one of the biggest risks in being a landlord.

  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lara Thatcher:
    Quote from @Jason Cox:

    Hard pass on this applicant. Everyone claims their dog is sweet. 


    On a side note, I think it’s wacky that a person would rather have a restricted dog than a roof over their head. 

    Their life priorities are completely out of whack.  Just had someone contact me. He has an emotional support pit mix. He says it MUST stay with him because it is old and needs special care. Non-negotiable.

    You can't fix stupid.

  • Member since 2023 · 36 posts · 13 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jonathan Perez:

    Hi Lara, I would recommend getting with an attorney to see if you can maybe have the tenants sign a hold harmless agreement for if in the case the dog were to injure someone that you would not be sued for it.

    Not sure if that would help but I would definitely look into it! 
     

    That won't help if the tenant's guest (or a neighbor) gets attacked by their dog.
  • Corey ConklinPro Member
    Investor · Member since 2021 · 129 posts · 209 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jason Cox:
    Quote from @Lara Thatcher:
    Quote from @Jason Cox:

    Hard pass on this applicant. Everyone claims their dog is sweet. 


    On a side note, I think it’s wacky that a person would rather have a restricted dog than a roof over their head. 

    Their life priorities are completely out of whack.  Just had someone contact me. He has an emotional support pit mix. He says it MUST stay with him because it is old and needs special care. Non-negotiable.

    You can't fix stupid.


     Man the way you speak of your potential tenants is brutal. You speak of them like you know who they are and that they are low life and will never be as good as you. Maybe that's all your properties will attract, who knows.

    My family moved during the spring of 2020 to a new city. With it being in the midst of COVID we struggled to find anything on the market that we wanted. We thought renting would be a good idea so we can get our bearings in the new city and wait to figure out what area we wanted to buy with the current lack of inventory. We have 2 pit bulls that I'm not just going to abandon because some jerk landlord wants me to do so. We struggled to find a good landlord that would allow them so we just said screw it and bought a house that would work for the interim. We both have 800+ credit scores, very high income, and clean backgrounds but those dogs were just too much to have us as tenants. It actually worked out well that we bought. The house we originally bought is one of our current rentals, cash flows really well, and appreciated 25%.

    I'd say our life priorities are not out of whack at all, we aren't stupid, and people's dogs are their family not just something you can just throw out in the gutter when they are inconvenient. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    @Lara Thatchery. I believe some states hold landlord responsible even for first offense of dog aggression and other states only if previous sign of aggression, so if you don’t know, research it because that should impact your decision. If German shepherd is on insurance no-coverage list then call them to clarify as it likely includes Dutch shepherds too. Requiring a K9 Good Citizen certificate may help, although not if on insurance breed restrictions or proof of previous aggression.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Lara Thatcher:
    Quote from @Jonathan Perez:

    Hi Lara, I would recommend getting with an attorney to see if you can maybe have the tenants sign a hold harmless agreement for if in the case the dog were to injure someone that you would not be sued for it.

    Not sure if that would help but I would definitely look into it! 
     

    That’s an interesting idea, Jonathan! Thank you!

    Would something like that really make me untouchable in a dog injury lawsuit if their dog were to injure a neighbor? It sounds too good to be true.

     tenants hold harmless most likly is worthless as they generally are tenants because they dont have much cash or assets. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    2y

    @Lara Thatcher The other point I would make is if you go with this decide how much liability you want on the renters insurance.  Consider do you have a fenced yard and is the property suited to the dog(high enough fence). I turned down a similar situation a few months ago.  I had an unfenced yard and an adjacent property so while I felt bad for them I had to manage the risk. 

    I don't accept dogs in most units but its the little ones that are the biggest problem, very yappy, noise complaints.  As for tenants with animals I do understand they are part of the family but why if you are a renter do you choose a dog that is an aggressive breed?  And also although not relevant in this case I question why tenants who can barely pay their bills go out and get animals.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Colleen F.:

    @Lara Thatcher The other point I would make is if you go with this decide how much liability you want on the renters insurance.  Consider do you have a fenced yard and is the property suited to the dog(high enough fence). I turned down a similar situation a few months ago.  I had an unfenced yard and an adjacent property so while I felt bad for them I had to manage the risk. 

    I don't accept dogs in most units but its the little ones that are the biggest problem, very yappy, noise complaints.  As for tenants with animals I do understand they are part of the family but why if you are a renter do you choose a dog that is an aggressive breed?  And also although not relevant in this case I question why tenants who can barely pay their bills go out and get animals.


    yup unfortunately many are abandoned or you find them in the pound..  Pets ( Dogs ) are not a cheap endevour to properly care for especially small breeds.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.