What is your preferred way to collect rent?

What is your preferred way to collect rent?

Rene HosmanPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2024 · 583 posts · 653 votes

What forms of payment do you accept from tenants? 

Collecting rent is something we don't talk about much unless it's not happening but I wanted to start a conversation about what methods of payments you accept and why. Options like our partner Baeslane’s free online rent collection platforms, payment apps, and ACH transfers are convenient for both parties, but traditional methods like checks or cash are still widely used.

I’d love to hear about your experiences:

  • What rent collection method do you prefer and why?
  • Do you think certain methods help reduce late payments?
  • Have you tried different late fee structures or flex rent (allow tenants to pay weekly or biweekly instead of monthly)?

I'll start: I use an online rent collection platform that allows tenants to schedule auto-pay via ACH transfer, or my tenants can drop a check off directly at my bank.  I don't accept venmo, paypal, or zelle because of the fees and having to set up a business account. I like the auto-pay option as I get a notification when rent is paid and when the deposit has hit my account. I only allow tenants to pay on the 1st of the month but I would consider alternate payment schedules dependent on the situation and tenant if they asked. My rentals are in Denver which has strict late payment laws and I was able to customize the late payment options to automatically apply in the right timeframe to abide by the laws and also not accept partial payments which I very much appreciate.

And if you’re curious about Baselane’s 2-day quick pay features or have questions, feel free to ask!


52 votes total

Check
Cash
Credit Card
Bank transfer
App (venmo, zelle)
Online Platform
Other
BiggerPockets
0Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y

@Rene Hosman, I'm firmly in the online platform camp for preference.

I actually have a fee in my lease if a tenant wants me to physically pick up a payment. I will still accept other forms of payment but the convenience of the online platform and the fee for pickup dissuades them from anything else most times.

For me rent is due on the 1st with a 5 day grace period. Rent is "paid" when they initiate transfer not when it hits my account because they have no control over the lag time. Much like a mailed check/money order is "paid" when it is post marked as it isn't the tenant fault if 1st class mail takes 3 weeks (which actually happens sometimes!).

Late fees are automatically applied after the grace period but a tenant can make a full or partial payment any time. Some are paying early. I had a tenant pay January's rent on December 21st and obviously tenant's sometimes pay late or not in full. The online platform is ideal for tracking all of that and more. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    1y

    I like the 'method' where the tenant puts a check on the inside of the electrical panel. Landlord drives by on the 1st of each month and collects. Also gives a valid reason/excuse to check the property......is it looking like it's kept up well? Are there dogs in the yard when you have a no-pet policy? 4 cars in the driveway and only 2 people on the lease?

  • Realtor · Hanover Twp, PA · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    @Rene Hosman, I'm firmly in the online platform camp for preference.

    I actually have a fee in my lease if a tenant wants me to physically pick up a payment. I will still accept other forms of payment but the convenience of the online platform and the fee for pickup dissuades them from anything else most times.

    For me rent is due on the 1st with a 5 day grace period. Rent is "paid" when they initiate transfer not when it hits my account because they have no control over the lag time. Much like a mailed check/money order is "paid" when it is post marked as it isn't the tenant fault if 1st class mail takes 3 weeks (which actually happens sometimes!).

    Late fees are automatically applied after the grace period but a tenant can make a full or partial payment any time. Some are paying early. I had a tenant pay January's rent on December 21st and obviously tenant's sometimes pay late or not in full. The online platform is ideal for tracking all of that and more. 

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    Each multifamily building I have has its own bank account. It's written into the lease that tenants must deposit their rents into that particular account (either by online bank transfer or by walking in a check/cash); I do not collect rents directly, nor would I if anyone asked. Systems don't work if there are any exceptions. Each tenant living in a building has their own unique rent amount, so even if they do not leave a notation with the rent payment, I know whom paid the rent based on the amount alone. I get an email alert each time a deposit is made.

    I prefer not to use any third-party vendors (Zelle, etc.) because firstly, that creates another link in the chain that can break down between the tenant's deposit and my bank account. There is an occasional thread on BP where the vendor has a system crash or technical glitch and transfers are delayed. In a perfect situation, the payment will still be delayed (even if by hours) using this additional system.

    And secondly, many of these vendors have "clawback" provisions where, in their terms of service, you give them permission to go back into your account - even weeks after the fact - and reverse a deposit that was made by your tenant.

    My system is simple, allows for tenants to pay through multiple means, and does not cost me anything extra.

  • Alecia LovelessPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Rene Hosman I prefer electronic payment.

    I use the major platforms, CashApp, Meta, Venmo, Zelle. I simply take the 2-3 day no-fee transfer from these platforms.

    I have not had an issue with the claw back scenario and if I did I would IMMEDIATELY begin the eviction process which I would then pursue relentlessly.

    I also accept checks but generally my tenants don’t mail these until the 3rd or 4th which typically means I don’t receive them until the 7th-8th.

    I did try to set up a property management software for collections but as I live in a rural area received a TON of pushback from my tenants about sending money over an App they were not familiar with. So for now have abandoned the idea.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    1y

    Online platform or the tenant schleps off to our business bank account and makes the deposit. No other methods of payment accepted, written into the lease. This is a business, not some mob collection system. Someone wants to pay cash they go to the bank and pay cash, and get their own receipt. Otherwise they pay free online. 95% of our tenants pay online, most of those with auto pay. The bank people are either the least stable or get paid irregular. 

    We use Turbotenant and used Apartments for years before that and a different one before that, that apartments bought out. In rare instances we will let someone pay through Square or Stripe, with them paying the cc fee, but only in unusual cases, such as one time with a tenant who was traveling and didn't have a bank account to use with our online platform.

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Alecia Loveless:

    @Rene Hosman I prefer electronic payment.

    I have not had an issue with the claw back scenario and if I did I would IMMEDIATELY begin the eviction process which I would then pursue relentlessly.

    But alas, some tenants use this trick after they have vacated your property.  Pretty neat, eh?  Search the forums here for these kinds of stories from landlords.  Those that still reside are not expecting to stay anyways.  In both cases, you are left holding the proverbial bag.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    How do I like tenants to pay rent? On time, every time. ;)

    Preference is electronic transfer through my management software. However, I also have ways for them to pay with cash, card, money order, cashiers check, and personal check. They can bring payments to the office or send by mail, but anything mailed is not considered paid until it's in my hands. If USPS is slow, tenant is subject to late fees and even eviction.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    We give our tenants as many options as possible - EXCEPT picking up their rent.

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Ours tenants mostly pay online, 93%, by ACH, debit, and credit card. We still accept MO's, checks, and cash. We NEVER pick up rent from a tenant and do not need an excuse to visit the property.

  • Jake BakerBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · San Diego, CA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 695 votes
    1y

    @Rene Hosman

    Rent.App is an awesome free solution that I recently discovered.

    BookkeepingRE - Bookkeeping for Real Estate & Service-Based Businesses58 Reviews
  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Drew Sygit:

    We give our tenants as many options as possible - EXCEPT picking up their rent.


    Exactly. When a lot of tenants are involved, you want to provide as many options as possible.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Clint BoltonPro Member
    Investor · Hernando, MS · Member since 2012 · 61 posts · 30 votes
    1y

    Definitely online via property management software! There's tons of options and even free options for landlords. 95+% of ours pay online and we have 3 tenants that drop payments off at our office. If it's not in our hands by the due date it's late and late fees begin. They are able to make as many payments as they'd like throughout the month if that's better for them but they will need to make their payments for the current month in the previous month so that their balance is paid in full by the due date. We have several that pay weekly but they start the first week of the month paying 1/4 of the next months rent and by the time they make that 4th payment for the month they've paid the upcoming month in advance. They can pay however they'd like as long as the balance is paid in full by the due date. We have numerous who have their payments set up to auto-pay. We've considered offering a discount for doing so but so far we haven't because for the most part everyone pays on time with no issues. Our last 15+ tenants that we've placed we've required online payments. It's just much easier for everyone, including the tenant. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.