How I Pre-Screen Tenants BEFORE Showings (and Save Hours)

How I Pre-Screen Tenants BEFORE Showings (and Save Hours)

Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes

Most landlords and agents make the same mistake, they schedule showings first and ask questions later. When I just started in real estate, I used to do it too. I would spend time driving to properties, coordinating schedules and opening doors for prospects who couldn’t qualify, weren’t ready to move or simply didn’t show up. It was frustrating and a huge waste of time. So, I changed my process and it made a significant difference.

Now, I pre-screen every prospect before they ever step foot in the property. It starts with setting clear expectations upfront in the listing. This alone eliminates a large portion of unqualified inquiries because people can quickly determine if they meet the criteria. I outline the basic requirements such as minimum credit score, income, no evictions or criminal history and max # of pets allowed. This alone filters out a large portion of unqualified inquiries.

Once someone reaches out, I don’t jump straight into scheduling a showing. Instead, I send a quick message with a few key questions to confirm they meet the basics.

My pre-screen questions typically include:

  • When are you planning to move?
  • What is your monthly household income?
  • How many occupants will be living in the home?
  • Any evictions or landlord issues?
  • Do you have pets?

From there, I pay very close attention to how they respond. This is where experience really matters. The answers are important but so is the way they communicate.

Common red flags I look for:

  • Vague or incomplete responses
  • Delayed replies or lack of urgency
  • Inconsistent or changing information
  • Move-in timelines that are too far out

Only after they have met the criteria and demonstrated clear, consistent communication do I move forward with scheduling a showing. If they don’t qualify, I simply let them know and move on. No unnecessary appointments, no wasted time. The result has been fewer showings, better-qualified tenants, faster leasing and significantly less stress. Interestingly, when prospects know they have already been pre-screened, they tend to show up more serious and prepared.

One thing that hasn’t changed is the importance of speed. Even with a pre-screening system in place, responding quickly and ideally within minutes still gives you a competitive edge. At the end of the day, if you are showing properties before pre-screening, you are not just losing time but you are running your rental business inefficiently.

Curious, do you pre-screen before showings or do you still schedule first and filter later?

22Reply
1,008 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6mo
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

Great method for those with less than 5 units, but too much work to scale bigger.

I used to do this when I first started out, but eventually took too much time.

Some here on BP have automated the questions, but then prospects aren't truthful.

Great post @Janice Carter

I do this with 78 units. I find that this process actually saves me a significant amount of time.
See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • New to Real Estate · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2023 · 83 posts · 29 votes
    6mo

    The communication piece before the showing seems underrated. Nice post!

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Stephen Geluz Absolutely, it is one of the biggest filters. Clear, upfront communication saves time and usually tells you everything you need to know before you ever open the door.

  • Property Manager · San Diego, CA · Member since 2026 · 13 posts · 11 votes
    6mo

    This is what I do too. It really does help to eliminate a lot of wasted time.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo

    Great method for those with less than 5 units, but too much work to scale bigger.

    I used to do this when I first started out, but eventually took too much time.

    Some here on BP have automated the questions, but then prospects aren't truthful.

    Great post @Janice Carter

    • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:

      Great method for those with less than 5 units, but too much work to scale bigger.

      I used to do this when I first started out, but eventually took too much time.

      Some here on BP have automated the questions, but then prospects aren't truthful.

      Great post @Janice Carter

      I do this with 78 units. I find that this process actually saves me a significant amount of time.
    • Drew SygitBusiness Member
      Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Jill F.:
      Quote from @Drew Sygit:

      Great method for those with less than 5 units, but too much work to scale bigger.

      I used to do this when I first started out, but eventually took too much time.

      Some here on BP have automated the questions, but then prospects aren't truthful.

      Great post @Janice Carter

      I do this with 78 units. I find that this process actually saves me a significant amount of time.

      What automation have you implemented?

      You can create auto-response messages to emails & SMS, even VMs. 
      Then you can review their responses, and ignore nonresponders, on YOUR schedule.  
      Much more efficient:)

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Drew Sygit  I am curious, how are you pre-screening with a larger setup?  Even at scale, some level of filtering upfront is still necessary to protect your time and quality of tenants.

  • Kyle HendricksPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2021 · 170 posts · 74 votes
    6mo

    Love this! I was making the same mistakes and started this as well and it saves so much time for everyone.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Kyle Hendricks It is a game changer once you make the shift. Saves time, sets clear expectations and makes everything run smoother for everyone involved.

  • Ryan SpathBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 566 posts · 377 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Janice Carter:

    Most landlords and agents make the same mistake, they schedule showings first and ask questions later. When I just started in real estate, I used to do it too. I would spend time driving to properties, coordinating schedules and opening doors for prospects who couldn’t qualify, weren’t ready to move or simply didn’t show up. It was frustrating and a huge waste of time. So, I changed my process and it made a significant difference.

    Now, I pre-screen every prospect before they ever step foot in the property. It starts with setting clear expectations upfront in the listing. This alone eliminates a large portion of unqualified inquiries because people can quickly determine if they meet the criteria. I outline the basic requirements such as minimum credit score, income, no evictions or criminal history and max # of pets allowed. This alone filters out a large portion of unqualified inquiries.

    Once someone reaches out, I don’t jump straight into scheduling a showing. Instead, I send a quick message with a few key questions to confirm they meet the basics.

    My pre-screen questions typically include:

    • When are you planning to move?
    • What is your monthly household income?
    • How many occupants will be living in the home?
    • Any evictions or landlord issues?
    • Do you have pets?

    From there, I pay very close attention to how they respond. This is where experience really matters. The answers are important but so is the way they communicate.

    Common red flags I look for:

    • Vague or incomplete responses
    • Delayed replies or lack of urgency
    • Inconsistent or changing information
    • Move-in timelines that are too far out

    Only after they have met the criteria and demonstrated clear, consistent communication do I move forward with scheduling a showing. If they don’t qualify, I simply let them know and move on. No unnecessary appointments, no wasted time. The result has been fewer showings, better-qualified tenants, faster leasing and significantly less stress. Interestingly, when prospects know they have already been pre-screened, they tend to show up more serious and prepared.

    One thing that hasn’t changed is the importance of speed. Even with a pre-screening system in place, responding quickly and ideally within minutes still gives you a competitive edge. At the end of the day, if you are showing properties before pre-screening, you are not just losing time but you are running your rental business inefficiently.

    Curious, do you pre-screen before showings or do you still schedule first and filter later?


     Great post and totally agree. Before doing this type of pre-screening I found myself showing units to folks who's leases were not up for a few months!

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Ryan Spath Pre-screening saves a lot of time and prevents showings to prospects who aren’t ready to move. I recently had someone leave a negative Google review because I declined to show a property. They weren’t planning to move for a few months and felt I should show it anyway. I stood my ground. I am not going to waste time, even if it means taking a negative review.

  • Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 570 posts · 335 votes
    6mo

    This is a strong process — most of the inefficiency in leasing comes from not filtering early enough. 

    The biggest shift I've seen is treating pre-screening less as a checklist and more as the first layer of risk control. The basics (income, credit, timeline) matter but the consistency of the story and responsiveness usually tell you just as much. 

    Where this really compounds is operationally — fewer showings, tighter leasing timelines and less back-and-forth later in the process. It's not just time savings, it's better outcomes. 

    One thing I've found helpful is standardizing that pre-screen into a consistent workflow (same question, same criteria, same follow-up), so decisions don't vary depending on who's handling the lead. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Jim Johnson Thanks for your input. Pre-screening is definitely that first layer of risk control and consistency in the process makes a big difference in both efficiency and outcomes.

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    I know there is other stuff but currently I use Zillow rental. I get the credit score and most of those questions asked are revealed up front. They don't get a showing until the minimum credit score is met, and all that about evictions and other stuff is right there. Most people don't meet this unless its upper-class B or A so I have to wait awhile. 

    Once they get by all that, I meet them and read the body language. See how they respond to various questions. If they get by that, I go to their references and there you have it.

    In class D, none of that matters because no one will ever meet any of it. When I made the transition from primarily class D to other stuff, I made the mistake of showing for anyone. Man, I got overwhelmed and learned from it. Wasted so much time. I was not used to having so many people wanting my property. Most dont want class D and the ones who were cool with ti, there was a reason. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Mark Cruse Thanks for sharing. I only use Zillow for marketing and nothing else. I don’t accept their applications and definitely don’t rely on their screening, as I have found it to be unreliable.

    In addition to my pre-screening questions, I use an MLS-integrated tool where I can input a prospect's phone number and pull a detailed background report. It is a key part of my process and a lifesaver, especially for identifying any criminal history early. That upfront filtering makes a big difference in who actually gets to a showing.

    • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      @Mark Cruse Thanks for sharing. I only use Zillow for marketing and nothing else. I don’t accept their applications and definitely don’t rely on their screening, as I have found it to be unreliable.

      In addition to my pre-screening questions, I use an MLS-integrated tool where I can input a prospect's phone number and pull a detailed background report. It is a key part of my process and a lifesaver, especially for identifying any criminal history early. That upfront filtering makes a big difference in who actually gets to a showing.


       Gotcha. Yea, I've only used Zillow a few times but haven't had a problem yet. What problems specifically have you had with their screaming and how did you find out?  Can anyone utilize the other tool that you use? 

    • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      @Mark Cruse Thanks for sharing. I only use Zillow for marketing and nothing else. I don’t accept their applications and definitely don’t rely on their screening, as I have found it to be unreliable.

      In addition to my pre-screening questions, I use an MLS-integrated tool where I can input a prospect's phone number and pull a detailed background report. It is a key part of my process and a lifesaver, especially for identifying any criminal history early. That upfront filtering makes a big difference in who actually gets to a showing.

      It sounds like my process is very similar to yours. I only use Zillow for advertising as well but require tenants to fill out my (free) application on Buildium (they'll have to do that anyway to have an account). I do (rentprep) background/credit checks (very thorough) later in the process because the only applicant notifications in Ohio are those required by FCRA if an applicant is denied based on derogatory credit info.

      @Drew Sygit I require applicants to pick up the phone and call me before I'll schedule a showing. This is an important part of my screening process. I have found that tenants that communicated exclusively by text were much more likely to no show on a tour.  Serious applicants will make a phone call. A short conversation with an applicant gives me a chance to get to know the applicant (their current living situaton, why they are moving, if they meet my requirements, what they are looking for in a rental). I allows me to better understand how an applicant views the landlord-tenant relationship and tells me if the applicant can communicate effectively and make plans without undue difficulty. This conversation is also an opportunity for me to "sell" my product-- which I believe gives me an edge in attracting quality tenants. I actually don't mind talking to applicants so this is not a problem for me-- and if I get buried in calls, I know my rent is too low-- though that doesn't happen much anymore because my properties are usually one of the more expensive (and nicer) options in a given neighborhood. The other reason, I think, that I don't get too beat up with marketing is because i don't do it that much--  i rent multiple units off one ad. I have already turned over two units this year without marketing to 'waitlist' applicants which were the children of a  great current  tenant and a contractor. I just marketed one unit and rented it out plus two others with 4/5 and 4/7 turnovers and an unfinished unit for a  5/15 turnover (with a non-refundable reservation fee). Later this year , I expect to complete renovations on six additional units and turnover two other renovated units, one of which will go to a former tenant. 

    • Michael SmytheBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Metro Detroit · Member since 2023 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Jill F.:
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      @Mark Cruse Thanks for sharing. I only use Zillow for marketing and nothing else. I don’t accept their applications and definitely don’t rely on their screening, as I have found it to be unreliable.

      In addition to my pre-screening questions, I use an MLS-integrated tool where I can input a prospect's phone number and pull a detailed background report. It is a key part of my process and a lifesaver, especially for identifying any criminal history early. That upfront filtering makes a big difference in who actually gets to a showing.

      It sounds like my process is very similar to yours. I only use Zillow for advertising as well but require tenants to fill out my (free) application on Buildium (they'll have to do that anyway to have an account). I do (rentprep) background/credit checks (very thorough) later in the process because the only applicant notifications in Ohio are those required by FCRA if an applicant is denied based on derogatory credit info.

      @Drew Sygit I require applicants to pick up the phone and call me before I'll schedule a showing. This is an important part of my screening process. I have found that tenants that communicated exclusively by text were much more likely to no show on a tour.  Serious applicants will make a phone call. A short conversation with an applicant gives me a chance to get to know the applicant (their current living situaton, why they are moving, if they meet my requirements, what they are looking for in a rental). I allows me to better understand how an applicant views the landlord-tenant relationship and tells me if the applicant can communicate effectively and make plans without undue difficulty. This conversation is also an opportunity for me to "sell" my product-- which I believe gives me an edge in attracting quality tenants. I actually don't mind talking to applicants so this is not a problem for me-- and if I get buried in calls, I know my rent is too low-- though that doesn't happen much anymore because my properties are usually one of the more expensive (and nicer) options in a given neighborhood. The other reason, I think, that I don't get too beat up with marketing is because i don't do it that much--  i rent multiple units off one ad. I have already turned over two units this year without marketing to 'waitlist' applicants which were the children of a  great current  tenant and a contractor. I just marketed one unit and rented it out plus two others with 4/5 and 4/7 turnovers and an unfinished unit for a  5/15 turnover (with a non-refundable reservation fee). Later this year , I expect to complete renovations on six additional units and turnover two other renovated units, one of which will go to a former tenant. 


      Sounds like a lot of work, but it's obviously working for you☺

      Logical Property Management4.9454 Reviews
  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2021 · 120 posts · 69 votes
    6mo

    Janice,

    you couldn't be more spot on. This saved me so much time and effort this last go around. So many people had attitude I wouldn't show them the property, but wouldn't even apply. I knew if they were serious they would. It was nice not wasting our time going to the property 8x a day for people who wouldn't apply or wouldn't be great applicants if they did!! 

    thanks for sharing!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Michelle Pepe Exactly, you handled that the right way. The serious applicants will follow the process and the rest usually filter themselves out. Saves time and leads to better tenants. Thanks for sharing your experience.

  • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    6mo

    This is great. I have been appreciating all of your posts lately. I don't have time to pre-screen everyone before scheduling showings really so what I do is make sure that the listing is very specific on qualification criteria, then host one open house style showing window at the property. I usually get about 20 prospective tenants who say they will be there, typically about 10 show up, and 3 actually apply from which 1 is accepted. Works well for me but have to be careful about fair housing laws obviously (same criteria applies to everyone, as stated clearly in the listing, and the first fully-qualified applicant who completes the entire application process gets it). I have never had to show a unit more than once per vacancy using this method. Probably works best in high-demand locations which is what I focus on. 

  • Prior lake, MN · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    6mo
    Do you have a credit score requirement?
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Steve K. That is a solid system if you are in high-demand areas. Keeping clear criteria and using a single showing window is a great way to control time and still stay compliant. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Cole Solner I do.  My minimum credit score is usually 650.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Mark Cruse Zillow screening often miss eviction history, its criminal reports aren't always comprehensive and income is often self-reported and unverified. The issue is many landlords assume that if an applicant passes Zillow, they are good to go without doing any additional verification. I personally know 4 investors who relied on that and all ended up with bad tenants they had to evict. That is why I don't accept Zillow applications. For additional pre-screening, I use Forewarn which is tied to my MLS, so access is typically limited to agents and brokers.

    • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      @Mark Cruse Zillow screening often miss eviction history, its criminal reports aren't always comprehensive and income is often self-reported and unverified. The issue is many landlords assume that if an applicant passes Zillow, they are good to go without doing any additional verification. I personally know 4 investors who relied on that and all ended up with bad tenants they had to evict. That is why I don't accept Zillow applications. For additional pre-screening, I use Forewarn which is tied to my MLS, so access is typically limited to agents and brokers.


       I always verify the info, but I get it. Had no ide they were missing stuff. So far so good but still I will keep that in mind until I get a better tool with better results. Great info. Thanks

  • Canada · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6mo

    Great advice, thank you for sharing! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Lori Abrams You are welcome. Thanks for reading and commenting.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Jill F.  Sounds like a solid process. Like you, I use Zillow strictly for exposure but all screening goes through my own system. Keeping the application and verification separate from Zillow helps you stay in control of the process and avoid relying on incomplete data.

  • Member since 2024 · 158 posts · 88 votes
    6mo
    I had to start pre-screening after meeting up for the showing and then getting the pity stories about why they don’t meet credit score or income requirements. I guess people think they have a better chance if you see them in person.
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Allison Park Once they are in front of you, it turns into an emotional decision instead of a business one. Pre-screening upfront saves time and keeps your criteria consistent so you are not making exceptions on the spot.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.