How I Pre-Screen Tenants BEFORE Showings (and Save Hours)

How I Pre-Screen Tenants BEFORE Showings (and Save Hours)

Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes

Most landlords and agents make the same mistake, they schedule showings first and ask questions later. When I just started in real estate, I used to do it too. I would spend time driving to properties, coordinating schedules and opening doors for prospects who couldn’t qualify, weren’t ready to move or simply didn’t show up. It was frustrating and a huge waste of time. So, I changed my process and it made a significant difference.

Now, I pre-screen every prospect before they ever step foot in the property. It starts with setting clear expectations upfront in the listing. This alone eliminates a large portion of unqualified inquiries because people can quickly determine if they meet the criteria. I outline the basic requirements such as minimum credit score, income, no evictions or criminal history and max # of pets allowed. This alone filters out a large portion of unqualified inquiries.

Once someone reaches out, I don’t jump straight into scheduling a showing. Instead, I send a quick message with a few key questions to confirm they meet the basics.

My pre-screen questions typically include:

  • When are you planning to move?
  • What is your monthly household income?
  • How many occupants will be living in the home?
  • Any evictions or landlord issues?
  • Do you have pets?

From there, I pay very close attention to how they respond. This is where experience really matters. The answers are important but so is the way they communicate.

Common red flags I look for:

  • Vague or incomplete responses
  • Delayed replies or lack of urgency
  • Inconsistent or changing information
  • Move-in timelines that are too far out

Only after they have met the criteria and demonstrated clear, consistent communication do I move forward with scheduling a showing. If they don’t qualify, I simply let them know and move on. No unnecessary appointments, no wasted time. The result has been fewer showings, better-qualified tenants, faster leasing and significantly less stress. Interestingly, when prospects know they have already been pre-screened, they tend to show up more serious and prepared.

One thing that hasn’t changed is the importance of speed. Even with a pre-screening system in place, responding quickly and ideally within minutes still gives you a competitive edge. At the end of the day, if you are showing properties before pre-screening, you are not just losing time but you are running your rental business inefficiently.

Curious, do you pre-screen before showings or do you still schedule first and filter later?

22Reply
963 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6mo
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

Great method for those with less than 5 units, but too much work to scale bigger.

I used to do this when I first started out, but eventually took too much time.

Some here on BP have automated the questions, but then prospects aren't truthful.

Great post @Janice Carter

I do this with 78 units. I find that this process actually saves me a significant amount of time.
See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Beaver Falls, PA · Member since 2015 · 275 posts · 82 votes
    6mo

    @Janice Carter I started this process years ago and it’s a game changer. Great advice!!!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @John Matthew Johnston Glad to hear that. Once you implement it, the difference is night and day. 

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2026 · 28 posts · 29 votes
    6mo

    Great process. I self-manage a 4-plex and a duplex in Tacoma and started doing something similar about a year ago after wasting too many Saturday afternoons on no-shows.

    The biggest thing for me was adding the income question early. I used to feel weird asking about it upfront but honestly most people who meet the threshold don't mind answering, and the ones who dodge it usually wouldn't qualify anyway. Saved me a ton of wasted showings.

    I also started asking about their current living situation and reason for moving. Not to be nosy but it tells you a lot. Someone leaving because their landlord is selling is very different from someone who just got an eviction notice. The way people explain it says as much as the answer itself, like you mentioned.

    One thing I'd add for multi-family especially — I ask about noise tolerance and work schedule upfront. Had a night shift worker move in above a family with young kids once. That was a rough lesson. Now I try to think about unit fit, not just tenant fit.

  • Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2013 · 23 posts · 4 votes
    6mo

    I think the pre-screening criteria depends on the type of properties you have I manage class B/CD mostly and I don't show properties unless I have an approved applicant, but even then I don't want them to apply unless they meet the criteria, unfortunately that doesn't happen, but what I try to do is when they want to see it schedule a tour I send them an email with the screening criteria and ask them to confirm that they meet the criteria along with their move-in date and other simple questions. If they don't respond to that then I'll just move on if they confirm the meet criteria I politely invite them to just apply to avoid wasting everybody's time, then once I have an approved applicant, I show them or give the code to see by themselves. Every market is different in my HRVA market. I can probably get 50 applications and maybe one or two would pass my criteria which is not that high but no eviction in last 3 yrs, good rental history, 660+ credit and 3x income. 

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    6mo

    Great post @Janice Carter, very good advice. We actually call, because you can tell a lot just by how people answer the phone and hold a conversation. Credit score is one of the first questions. Showings open house style, 2 opportunities, weekday night and Saturday mid day and we book qualified people to arrive every 15 minutes.

    Another thing we do during showings is plant a yard sign with our company logo outside and bring company branded folder with the applications. This makes it very clear they are renting from a company and sets expectations about process and policy.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Alex Rivera That is exactly it. Pre-screening isn’t just about qualifying, it is also about fit and reducing future issues. The income question upfront saves time and the reason for moving plus how they answer it tells you everything. I have found the same that people who are transparent usually make better tenants.

    Great point on unit fit vs tenant fit too. Noise tolerance and schedule can make or break a multi-family property. That is a lesson most landlords learn the hard way.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Jose Rodriguez That is a solid system especially for your asset class. At that volume, filtering before showings is the only way to stay efficient. I like the email confirmation step too as it screens for both qualification and responsiveness which is just as important. Also, inviting them to apply first vs. touring first is a big time-saver. At that point, you are only dealing with serious, qualified prospects and not just traffic.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Marcus Auerbach Thank you, I appreciate that. Calling is huge as you can pick up on things you would never catch over text or in an email. I like your structured showing windows and 15 minute scheduling. That creates urgency and keeps things efficient. Also, the branded setup is a great touch as it positions you as professional and sets the tone from the start.

  • Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    When I moved up to Class B, it was amazing to me, at least from my experience, 99 percent couldn't meet my credit score criteria. It sort of baffled me, because I maintained a much higher score for decades, way back to my late teens. I was really getting frustrated and wondering does anyone pay their bills. My goodness, that many people can't do it. I made the mistake of letting these unqualified people view and was getting dozens of applications daily. It was silly. I lived over an hour and a half and it was so chaotic. I remember this one lady who was at least 100 points below my score was walking through my property interrogating me about the place, all kids of attitude, and making all kinds of demands she would need. I wanted so much to go rouge, but I chilled lol. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Mark Cruse  Once you move into Class B, the gap between expectations and applicant quality can be surprising. That is exactly why pre-screening upfront is critical. Also, letting unqualified prospects tour does create chaos and frustration as those are usually the ones with the most demands. You handled it right by staying professional but your process now will save you a lot of time and stress moving forward.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo

    No one's mentioning the S8 applicants that think the Gross Rental Amount on their voucher, which would require a landlord to pay 100% of their utilities, qualifies them for Class B and even A rentals!

    Definitely a waste of time showing these prospects a rental they can't afford.

    Also a waste of time arguing with them why they can't afford the rental.
    We direct them back to their caseworker as NOT our job to educate them about the program giving them free rent.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    6mo

    @Drew Sygit While I haven’t personally worked with Section 8 applicants, I can see how that could be a challenge for landlords and property managers. That said, regardless of the applicant, the key is setting clear expectations upfront so those conversations don’t happen after a showing. Also, I agree that if the numbers don’t align and they need clarification on the program, it is best to refer them back to their caseworker and move on.

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5mo

    @Janice Carter The other thing I pre-screen on is whether the unit is a match for them.  If there are deal breakers that other people have backed out of a property on I will say you understand this is not in town or a multiunit building.  Or applicants whose profile shows they are looking for a 2 bedroom and call on a 1 bedroom, I remind them of the unit size. This is a 1 bedroom in x location.  And video tours have helped alot. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @Colleen F. Great point. Making sure the unit is the right fit upfront saves everyone time and avoids unnecessary showings. I am also a big fan of video tours which is another great way to show a property without being there physically and help to cut down on unproductive showings.

  • Ryan RomingerBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 340 posts · 144 votes
    5mo

    This is actually very smart! 

    Intrigue Real Estate & Property Management4.6285 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @Ryan Rominger Thank you. Your comment is appreciated.

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2018 · 61 posts · 35 votes
    5mo

    @Janice Carter

    I’m in NY are all those questions legal? Sometimes NY is not the most landlord friendly

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @Edward Dandrea Good question. NY is definitely more tenant-friendly. Not sure which questions would not be acceptable to ask in NY but in general you just want to stick to objective criteria like income, credit, rental history and move-in timeline and avoid anything that could touch on protected classes.

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2026 · 28 posts · 29 votes
    5mo

    This is solid advice. I self-manage a 4-plex and a duplex in Tacoma and the pre-screening step has saved me so much wasted time.

    The biggest thing I added to my process was asking about move-in timeline upfront. If someone says they need to move in tomorrow or "as soon as possible" but can't explain why, that's usually a red flag. The best tenants I've had were the ones planning 3-4 weeks out.

    I also started asking about their experience with their current landlord early on — not to get gossip, but the way they talk about past rental situations tells you a lot about how they'll handle things if something goes wrong at your property. If every previous landlord was "terrible," that's a pattern worth noting.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @Alex Rivera I completely agree that timeline and how they talk about past landlords are two of the strongest indicators. The “everyone else was the problem” pattern shows up almost every time with difficult tenants. Pre-screening like this saves a ton of time and headaches later.

  • Lender · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2026 · 46 posts · 17 votes
    5mo

    I pre-screen AND invite them to come all in the same hour to two hours.  Seeing other people at a showing motivates people to put their applications and deposits in immediately.  I will check on the spot at my car and whomever the first one is, usually the very first one, to pass all of the calls gets the house to rent.  Works like a charm. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @Nadean Willis That is a strong approach. Group showings definitely create urgency and push quicker decisions. As long as your pre-screening is solid, it is a very efficient way to lease fast and reduce downtime.

    • Lender · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2026 · 46 posts · 17 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      @Nadean Willis That is a strong approach. Group showings definitely create urgency and push quicker decisions. As long as your pre-screening is solid, it is a very efficient way to lease fast and reduce downtime.


       Yes, I screen them and tell them what to expect.  I bring everything with me I might need, as do the ones who are serious about the rental.  If they wish to apply in advance, that's perfectly fine and then if they qualify the start time will be scheduled around their arrival time.  I've never had 4-8 hours a week over 4 days to show a rental.  When I did try a property management company, they couldn't even come close to keeping the vacancy rate down.  

  • James JonesPro Member
    Investor · Collierville, TN 38017 · Member since 2017 · 635 posts · 462 votes
    5mo

    Strong process.

    Pre screening is not optional if you’re running rentals like a business.

    Showing first is a retail mindset.

    Screening first is an operator mindset.

    You nailed the key pieces:

    • Clear criteria in the listing

    • Short qualification message before scheduling

    • Attention to communication patterns

    • Fast response time

    The hidden benefit most people miss is control. When prospects know there’s a system, they treat it seriously. It elevates you from “landlord” to “standard.”

    One thing I’d add:

    Have a saved pre screen template and require written answers in one message. If they can’t follow simple instructions before seeing the house, that’s data.

    Also track metrics:

    Inquiries

    Pre screens sent

    Qualified

    Showings

    Applications

    Approvals

    What gets measured gets optimized.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @James Jones Exactly, this is the difference between running a rental and running a system. Requiring written pre-screen responses upfront filters out 50%+ of unqualified prospects before you ever open the door. Also, you are right about how they follow instructions is just as important as what they say.

    Tracking metrics is where most landlords fall short. Once you know your conversion rates, you can quickly identify bottlenecks and adjust your process. At that point, leasing becomes predictable and not reactive.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @Nadean Willis I have never done group showings before but I like the idea. I think I will implement that going forward as it is a great way to create urgency and save time. Also, I agree that a lot of PM companies struggle with vacancy simply because they don’t control the front-end process the way you are doing it.

    • Lender · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2026 · 46 posts · 17 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Janice Carter:

      @Nadean Willis I have never done group showings before but I like the idea. I think I will implement that going forward as it is a great way to create urgency and save time. Also, I agree that a lot of PM companies struggle with vacancy simply because they don’t control the front-end process the way you are doing it.

      You'll love group showings.  You'll never go back. 
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.