How I Pre-Screen Tenants BEFORE Showings (and Save Hours)

How I Pre-Screen Tenants BEFORE Showings (and Save Hours)

Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes

Most landlords and agents make the same mistake, they schedule showings first and ask questions later. When I just started in real estate, I used to do it too. I would spend time driving to properties, coordinating schedules and opening doors for prospects who couldn’t qualify, weren’t ready to move or simply didn’t show up. It was frustrating and a huge waste of time. So, I changed my process and it made a significant difference.

Now, I pre-screen every prospect before they ever step foot in the property. It starts with setting clear expectations upfront in the listing. This alone eliminates a large portion of unqualified inquiries because people can quickly determine if they meet the criteria. I outline the basic requirements such as minimum credit score, income, no evictions or criminal history and max # of pets allowed. This alone filters out a large portion of unqualified inquiries.

Once someone reaches out, I don’t jump straight into scheduling a showing. Instead, I send a quick message with a few key questions to confirm they meet the basics.

My pre-screen questions typically include:

  • When are you planning to move?
  • What is your monthly household income?
  • How many occupants will be living in the home?
  • Any evictions or landlord issues?
  • Do you have pets?

From there, I pay very close attention to how they respond. This is where experience really matters. The answers are important but so is the way they communicate.

Common red flags I look for:

  • Vague or incomplete responses
  • Delayed replies or lack of urgency
  • Inconsistent or changing information
  • Move-in timelines that are too far out

Only after they have met the criteria and demonstrated clear, consistent communication do I move forward with scheduling a showing. If they don’t qualify, I simply let them know and move on. No unnecessary appointments, no wasted time. The result has been fewer showings, better-qualified tenants, faster leasing and significantly less stress. Interestingly, when prospects know they have already been pre-screened, they tend to show up more serious and prepared.

One thing that hasn’t changed is the importance of speed. Even with a pre-screening system in place, responding quickly and ideally within minutes still gives you a competitive edge. At the end of the day, if you are showing properties before pre-screening, you are not just losing time but you are running your rental business inefficiently.

Curious, do you pre-screen before showings or do you still schedule first and filter later?

22Reply
975 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
6mo
Quote from @Drew Sygit:

Great method for those with less than 5 units, but too much work to scale bigger.

I used to do this when I first started out, but eventually took too much time.

Some here on BP have automated the questions, but then prospects aren't truthful.

Great post @Janice Carter

I do this with 78 units. I find that this process actually saves me a significant amount of time.
See this reply in the discussion

64 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5mo

    From our experience with "Open House" type or Group Showings - do NOT tell the prospects it will be a Group Showing!

    Many will avoid it, wanting more personal attention (really?) or will wait until the end of the time slot.

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    5mo

    @Drew Sygit That is a great point and I don’t think it is necessary to tell prospects it is a group showing. When they arrive and see other people interested, it naturally creates urgency and they are much more likely to move quickly to secure the property.  Also, I would limit it to 2 or 3 per showing.



  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    4mo

    @Janice Carter the pre-screening system you've built is solid — and the point about prospects showing up more serious when they've already been vetted is something most landlords don't realize until they've experienced it.

    The line that stood out most to me was the last one — responding quickly, ideally within minutes. That's where most of this breaks down in practice. The pre-screening questions are ready, the criteria are set, but if the initial response to "is this still available" takes hours, the prospect has already moved on before the pre-screen even starts.

    The filtering only works if the first acknowledgment is fast enough to keep them in the funnel.

    Janice — how are you handling that first response when inquiries come in outside business hours? Is that still manual or do you have something covering that window?

  • Real Estate Broker · Atlanta · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 606 votes
    4mo

    @Andrea Fernandes Thanks for your feedback. I do manually respond to my leads during normal business hours and that system has been working well for me so far. Also, if a listing is clearly showing as “Active” and someone only asks “Is this still available?”, I am usually reluctant to respond to that type of inquiry since the information is already visible. Fortunately, I seldom get those types of messages unless the listing is posted on Facebook. Most of my serious prospects tend to ask more detailed questions upfront which makes it easier to move directly into the pre-screening process.

  • Specialist · Goa, India · Member since 2026 · 175 posts · 36 votes
    4mo

    @Janice Carter That makes a lot of sense Janice — if your listing platforms are attracting serious prospects who ask detailed questions upfront, the "is this still available" noise is much less of an issue. The system works because the quality of inquiry is already higher.

    That's actually a good point that doesn't get made enough — the right marketing attracts the right leads, which makes the whole process downstream easier to manage manually.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.