Where is this water coming from!? (No rain... no leaks... wth?)

10 Replies

How much water are we talking about?

Its from her leaky water bed.  She got rid of the source before calling you so she doesn't get blamed for it.  Either that, or the Culligan man dropped the water jug in there.  Lastly, there could have been a water balloon fight.   That said, it could have been a water balloon fight with the Culligan man on the water bed.  That might explain it.

I'm betting that she just spilled water from a cup or someone in the house did

There is a Sherlock Holmes story where a man is found hanging in the middle of the room with a large puddle of water under him. There was no visible means for anyone to lift the victim into the noose. The mystery was how did the man get into the noose. The answer was that he had stood upon a large block of ice which had melted.  So ... perhaps someone lost some ice cubes from their drink in the middle of the room.

It's hard to say without a photo of the situation...but I will give a guess based on an experience I had years ago.

In my case the drain overflow from the bathtub on the 2nd floor had settled away from the tub.  This resulted in over flow tub water traveling inside the wall and exiting in the 1st floor living room.  

So it's on the first floor.  No leak in the attic (from the roof) which is not directly above because there's another unit above it. 

Did you check her ceiling with a moisture meter?   Perhaps rainwater from a gutter or from the fascia area got behind the siding and made its way into the unit?  It could have followed one of the joists into the middle of the room. I had that once with ice damming.  What about the pipes going up the walls between the two units.  Any leaks in those?

Perhaps there's a leak in the baseboard heat?  Did you check the pressure gauge on the heating system to see if there's any loss in pressure?

Does she have any pets that are marking their territory in the new unit, right in the middle of the room?

Sleepwalking accident, thinking she was on the bowl?  Or he was standing in front of it?

They're a professional tenant f'ing with you just to set you up so they don't have to pay? 

Medium exp realty smallDarren Sager, EXP Realty | [email protected] | 862‑208‑2287 | http://www.exprealty.com/ | NJ Agent # 0897533 | Podcast Guest on Show #48

Perhaps they used to have a fish tang ?

1. There is a man in the house with EXTREMELY bad aim.

2. It is from that 75 gallon aquarium that the anxious tenant from the other thread sneaked in.

Originally posted by @Scott Weaner :

1. There is a man in the house with EXTREMELY bad aim.

2. It is from that 75 gallon aquarium that the anxious tenant from the other thread sneaked in.

LMAO!  Yes!  This was a fish tank that got moved in and woops, the tank sprang a leak in the move.  Then, the tenant decided to be proactive and play dumb so they don't get stuck with some big damage bill.

And I bet this made her extremely anxious :-)

Although, my favorite theory is the Culligan man on the waterbed so far.