How many rental properties do you own?

How many rental properties do you own?

Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes

I am a private landlord with two properties. My questions is for private landlords:

How many properties do you own that you manage yourself?

0Reply
696 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
11y

I had a goal of 30. Then I realized this was the wrong goal. My goal is now income...not how many doors I own. I reset my goal to the amount of income I desire and gauge my success on how close I am to achieving it. That "income" figures is net income...not gross rents, etc. I also have a goal of being debt free in less than 5 years so that the majority of income stays in my pocket vs paying off mortgages. You can have a huge NOI but pay it all out in debt service!

See this reply in the discussion

181 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    11y

    less than 4,000 

  • Anthony GaydenPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Gates:

    I am a private landlord with two properties. My questions is for private landlords:

    How many properties do you own that you manage yourself?

     I own none that I manage myself. However, I own 2 properties, each one with 4 units for a total of 8 units. 

  • Investor/Accountant/Builder · Meno, OK · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 918 votes
    11y

    I was at a small family reunion today, and a distant relative asked my 83 year old father in law how many cattle he had. As quick as could be, serious as he could be , he said, "less than 4,000".  I burst out laughing because I knew he had about 20. We all had a good laugh. 

  • Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    11y

    enough that i want to blow my brains out on occasion. that is until i see those corporate koolaid drinking clones walking around working 80 hr weeks for as little as there company can get away with....than i want to do them a favor and blow their brains out instead

  • Doug McLeodPro Member
    Investor · Cypress, TX · Member since 2014 · 496 posts · 205 votes
    11y

    6 that I manage myself. 2 others under a PM that are too far to manage easily.

  • Rental Property Investor · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2012 · 29 posts · 7 votes
    11y

    12 SFH looking to purchase more. Once heard about 25 SFH is the top you want to self manage. Not sure how that works for multi- unit.. love any input.

  • Investor · Bonita Springs, FL · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 37 votes
    11y

    At 15 units you should be hiring a service guy to manage/maintain at 25 you should either employ another or switch to PM. At 100+ you should own PM.

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Six for me.

  • Amsterdam, Noord-Holland · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    hello   i have 2 properties in poznan poland  and 2 in Amsterdam netherlands  

  • Dick RosenPro Member
    Property Manager · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 451 votes
    11y

    4 properties, 5 units, I own and manage.

  • Lowell, MA · Member since 2014 · 260 posts · 99 votes
    11y
    26 units self manage spread over 3 buildings in the same town
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    11y

    I had a goal of 30. Then I realized this was the wrong goal. My goal is now income...not how many doors I own. I reset my goal to the amount of income I desire and gauge my success on how close I am to achieving it. That "income" figures is net income...not gross rents, etc. I also have a goal of being debt free in less than 5 years so that the majority of income stays in my pocket vs paying off mortgages. You can have a huge NOI but pay it all out in debt service!

  • Real Estate Agent · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2015 · 129 posts · 63 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    enough that i want to blow my brains out on occasion. that is until i see those corporate koolaid drinking clones walking around working 80 hr weeks for as little as there company can get away with....than i want to do them a favor and blow their brains out instead

     Haha I can appreciate this comment. After working a corporate job doing accounting work I was reminded as to why I find Real Estate so enticing. I was not made to sit in a cubicle from 9-5 everyday.

  • Investor · IN · Member since 2012 · 263 posts · 168 votes
    11y

    My tenants or prospective tenants always ask me "so how many properties do you have?" My response "1 too many!". LOL

  • Developer · New York City & L.I. · Member since 2013 · 79 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    12 SFH all within 5 miles of each other. I manage all of them myself for now. I could foresee managing 20 tops myself. Managing is relatively easy getting the properties is difficult and getting financing at this point in game for me is by far the most difficult!
  • Investor · Pelham, AL · Member since 2014 · 141 posts · 44 votes
    11y

    one for now. Looking to add another one soon. 

  • Investor · Milford, CT · Member since 2015 · 200 posts · 69 votes
    11y

    9 now, constructing 15 more next year so I'll be at 24. I have a bunch more in the works I'd like to hit 100. 

    100 at an average rent of $1,700 per unit is a nice income.

  • Real Estate Agent · Trussville, AL · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 9 votes
    11y

    6 sfr and I manage 1

  • Nicole A.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Baltimore County Maryland and Tampa Florida · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    3 properties. 2 units each. Plan to purchase more doors in the future, but focusing on other finances right now.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    11y

    35 doors, self-manage.  Congrats, people!  You're rockin' it!

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
    10y

    @Steve Vaughan Are those all single family homes? How do you handle maintenance with that many doors?

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Eddie T.:

    @Steve Vaughan Are those all single family homes? How do you handle maintenance with that many doors?

     Not all single-families. No way.  24 apts and 8 houses.  Sold a triplex since.   I just  have a work van and do things in bunches.  Winterizing hosebibs and sprinklers, gutters, furnace filters and water heater flushes.  I have set days in the week I do certain things.  Certain days I do nothing.   

    Eddie- you didn't answer the title question.  How many and do you self-manage?  Having none yet is ok :)

  • Rental Property Investor · NY · Member since 2013 · 844 posts · 350 votes
    10y

    I own 8 closing on 2 more next week.

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    Everybody, jump in! This is great thread ..

  • Rental Property Investor · Milltown, NJ · Member since 2014 · 131 posts · 130 votes
    10y

    I own six six myself and five with a partner we/me self manage all of them but i think by 15 i will be moving to pm.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.