How many rental properties do you own?

181 Replies

I am a private landlord with two properties. My questions is for private landlords:

How many properties do you own that you manage yourself?

less than 4,000 

Originally posted by @Jeff Gates :

I am a private landlord with two properties. My questions is for private landlords:

How many properties do you own that you manage yourself?

I own none that I manage myself. However, I own 2 properties, each one with 4 units for a total of 8 units. 

[email protected] | 402‑965‑1853

I was at a small family reunion today, and a distant relative asked my 83 year old father in law how many cattle he had. As quick as could be, serious as he could be , he said, "less than 4,000".  I burst out laughing because I knew he had about 20. We all had a good laugh. 

enough that i want to blow my brains out on occasion. that is until i see those corporate koolaid drinking clones walking around working 80 hr weeks for as little as there company can get away with....than i want to do them a favor and blow their brains out instead

6 that I manage myself. 2 others under a PM that are too far to manage easily.

12 SFH looking to purchase more. Once heard about 25 SFH is the top you want to self manage. Not sure how that works for multi- unit.. love any input.

At 15 units you should be hiring a service guy to manage/maintain at 25 you should either employ another or switch to PM. At 100+ you should own PM.

hello   i have 2 properties in poznan poland  and 2 in Amsterdam netherlands  

4 properties, 5 units, I own and manage.

26 units self manage spread over 3 buildings in the same town

I had a goal of 30. Then I realized this was the wrong goal. My goal is now income...not how many doors I own. I reset my goal to the amount of income I desire and gauge my success on how close I am to achieving it. That "income" figures is net income...not gross rents, etc. I also have a goal of being debt free in less than 5 years so that the majority of income stays in my pocket vs paying off mortgages. You can have a huge NOI but pay it all out in debt service!

No company avatar mediumJohn Thedford, John Thedford | 239‑200‑5600 | http://www.capehomebuyers.com

Originally posted by @Seth S. :

enough that i want to blow my brains out on occasion. that is until i see those corporate koolaid drinking clones walking around working 80 hr weeks for as little as there company can get away with....than i want to do them a favor and blow their brains out instead

Haha I can appreciate this comment. After working a corporate job doing accounting work I was reminded as to why I find Real Estate so enticing. I was not made to sit in a cubicle from 9-5 everyday.

My tenants or prospective tenants always ask me "so how many properties do you have?" My response "1 too many!". LOL

12 SFH all within 5 miles of each other. I manage all of them myself for now. I could foresee managing 20 tops myself. Managing is relatively easy getting the properties is difficult and getting financing at this point in game for me is by far the most difficult!

one for now. Looking to add another one soon. 

9 now, constructing 15 more next year so I'll be at 24. I have a bunch more in the works I'd like to hit 100. 

100 at an average rent of $1,700 per unit is a nice income.

6 sfr and I manage 1

3 properties. 2 units each. Plan to purchase more doors in the future, but focusing on other finances right now.

Nicole A., New Page LLC | [email protected] | 305‑537‑6252

35 doors, self-manage.  Congrats, people!  You're rockin' it!

@Steve Vaughan Are those all single family homes? How do you handle maintenance with that many doors?

Originally posted by @Eddie T. :

@Steve Vaughan Are those all single family homes? How do you handle maintenance with that many doors?

Not all single-families. No way.  24 apts and 8 houses.  Sold a triplex since.   I just  have a work van and do things in bunches.  Winterizing hosebibs and sprinklers, gutters, furnace filters and water heater flushes.  I have set days in the week I do certain things.  Certain days I do nothing.   

Eddie- you didn't answer the title question.  How many and do you self-manage?  Having none yet is ok :)

I own 8 closing on 2 more next week.

Everybody, jump in! This is great thread ..