How many rental properties do you own?

How many rental properties do you own?

Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes

I am a private landlord with two properties. My questions is for private landlords:

How many properties do you own that you manage yourself?

0Reply
835 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
11y

I had a goal of 30. Then I realized this was the wrong goal. My goal is now income...not how many doors I own. I reset my goal to the amount of income I desire and gauge my success on how close I am to achieving it. That "income" figures is net income...not gross rents, etc. I also have a goal of being debt free in less than 5 years so that the majority of income stays in my pocket vs paying off mortgages. You can have a huge NOI but pay it all out in debt service!

See this reply in the discussion

181 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Jersey City, NJ · Member since 2016 · 158 posts · 86 votes
    10y

    2 MFH , sold one as a turnkey last year. 

    Planning to purchase at least one in Philly and Charlotte by year end 2016. Any thoughts that people might have on these two areas. 

    @Omar Ismael Where did you buy in Philly, sent you a message would like to connect. 

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y

    Keep it going - This is a great thread!

  • Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    I own 10, closing on 1 next week and maybe 6 more in a month or two. I used to have over 20. Now that I am older I can probably handle 15 properties.

  • Investor · Herndon, VA · Member since 2015 · 185 posts · 74 votes
    10y

    3 SFR managed by PM., working on 4th one.

  • Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 643 posts · 280 votes
    10y

    16 properties containing 20 units in southern Colorado. Due to geography, they are all professionally managed. It is money well spent, as the property management company deals with 95% of the issues and I just get a few texts and emails.

    Mike

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Accidental landlord, so one. Hoping for a dip or plateau in my area and add another one soon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2012 · 502 posts · 263 votes
    10y

    6 units (4 SFH + 1 duplex). Currently self-managed. With a full time job, I think 10 self-managed would be my max.

  • Investor · Cathedral City, CA · Member since 2014 · 481 posts · 170 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Alnie F.:

    Accidental landlord, so one. Hoping for a dip or plateau in my area and add another one soon.

     The accidental landlord role fits many of us

  • Lender · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 597 votes
    10y

    13 doors, 11 properties. All self-managed. 1 on the market to sell. 

  • Investor · Scotts Valley, CA · Member since 2015 · 25 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Zero. I work full-time and don't have the time nor the patience. Cashflow is lower, but I don't have to deal with too much ********.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 65 posts · 29 votes
    10y

    five properties, seven doors.. Manage myself..  Love to have one more duplex.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    10y

    Just over 30 all SFH with some mobile homes on land in there as well. Currently also have 2 notes and 2 flips on the market. My wife handles all PM and my crew all maintenance issues. You only have to deal with bull**** if you choose to and we choose not to. This summer I plan to work 3 days a week and spend the rest of my time with family and friends. CHEERS!!

  • Agent / Investor · Newark, NJ · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 60 votes
    10y

    southwest philly near Cobbs Creak and Darby pa 

  • Agent / Investor · Newark, NJ · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 60 votes
    10y

    Rocky V that's y we all invest in real estate . Enjoy

  • De Pere, WI · Member since 2016 · 83 posts · 39 votes
    10y

    We own 1 SFR and manage it ourselves; looking into purchasing a 12 unit apartment as well as a 3 unit home within the next month (plan on self managing until we hit our magic number - no idea what that is yet)

  • Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    4 in Charlotte, NC and 1 in Santa Rosa, CA. Closing on 2 more in Charlotte in May. All SFH.

  • Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
    10y

    24 units total. My dad works part time maintenance for me. He has 38 units. So we trade labor as he is better at some things and I am better at others. My wife and mom do all the management/showings and housekeeping... My parents are retired my wife and I still work full time. Working full time we struggled at 14.. So when we picked up the latest buildings we combined efforts. So far it has went pretty well.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 172 posts · 66 votes
    10y

    I own 7 SFR and closing on one tomorrow and another at the end of May :-). It's starting to get more challenging to manage with a full time job but property managers charge way too much relative to the amount of work that they do.

  • Investor/Rehabber · Hickory, NC · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    10y

    8 SFH in Catawba, Caldwell, & Burke County, NC. We have also flipped 2 this year and are working on our 3rd. Plan to acquire atleast 2 more SFH rentals and then move on to duplexes. & quads. Still work full time as well, but not much longer!

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2012 · 47 posts · 26 votes
    10y

    I have 11 SFH and 1 commercial bldg. 3 of the SFH are paid off

  • Investor · Spring, TX · Member since 2015 · 126 posts · 38 votes
    10y
    We own 2 SFRs and are permitting the construction of a duplex.
  • Aaron HowellBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Crozet, VA · Member since 2014 · 436 posts · 223 votes
    10y

    Own 7, 6 managed by PM, 1 by me..  The one by me is getting sold next month.

    Story House Real Estate529 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Ruston, LA · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    As a college student, I hope I can acquire as many rentals as everyone on this thread! Very Inspiring!

  • Penny ClarkPro Member
    Sacramento, CA · Member since 2014 · 513 posts · 319 votes
    10y

    We own seven and are feverishly saving for our next two. We're also taking the time this year to do repairs and upgrades on existing properties and researching ways to cut costs for ho insurance and supplies. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Shreveport, LA · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 18 votes
    10y

    started last fall, 3 total, 1 rented, 2nd going up for rent Sunday, and closing on number 3 late May. Good job guys and gals! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.