Visible vs Non Visible Tattoos on Tenant Applicants

Visible vs Non Visible Tattoos on Tenant Applicants

Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes

Good morning all!

I do want to preface this with - I did search the forum briefly for a direct answer and found none. So if there is a thread about this, please let me know!

I was reading a few things about people rejecting tenant applicants with tattoo's.  Of course the discussion went into types of tattoo's (gang, artsy, sentimental). But I'm wondering how people define visible vs. non visible. And also if there are actual rules that can be defined from location and style.

I'm also assuming the differentiation between men and women matters too.  So where do people draw the lines of visible? For men, I personally consider a visible tattoo to be any tattoo that shows when a person is wearing a t shirt and jeans.  But then for a woman, I know that neck lines are usually lower, so even the collarbone area could be considered visible. 

Following up on that, in order to protect yourself, would you have to state clear guidelines? Assume I wanted only tenants without visible tattoos (no neck, face, hands), would I have to almost put a chart in the lease? 

I do want to say that I'm not against most tattoo's, and I try not to judge on tattoo's, but if a tenant has "MOM" tattoo'ed on his forehead... I'm assuming he may not be the best candidate.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

1Reply
353 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 506 posts · 311 votes
10y

@Elizabeth Colegrove exactly correct.  I've met with rough looking applicants covered in tattoos and they turned out to be the best tenants.  They swing the 3X rent on the rental and come up clean in the background, who am I to judge?

See this reply in the discussion

87 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    10y

    My first tenant I ever rented too owned a tattoo business.  Wound up evicting them.  Moral to story... tattoos are OK but self employed businesses owners can be bad.  


    Frank

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    I've got Tatoos and I find this to be one of the most ridiculous threads lol. I've got an employee who is completely sleeved out, gauged ears, neck tattoo, and tongue pierced. He's one of my best employees. 

    Don't judge a book by its cover. 

  • John CasmonPro Member
    Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    While people with tattoos and piercings (PWTAP) are not a protected class, they shouldn't be discriminated against in a blanket assessment. Furthermore, many people also fall into one of the protected classes so you better have damn good reason to deny them if they meet all the other criteria. More than likely a person with a tattoo on their face won't pass at least one element of the background check, but it's foolish to even think of denying someone with say a tattoo on their bicep or ankle (unless the nature of the tattoo screams don't rent to me). 


    Treat a "visible" tattoo as one clue amongst many into the type of prospect you're evaluating. It's not just about credit scores, monthly income and security deposits (though I highly doubt the guy with "Monster" tatted on his forehead meets any of those minimum thresholds). Check their social media, call their references including previous employers and talk to their previous landlords. Also, almost 40% of people 18-29 have tattoos according to the Pew Research Center so you're going to have a really small tenant pool if you just decide you don't want anyone with a tattoo. 

    http://www.npr.org/2014/02/21/280213268/job-seekers-still-have-to-hide-tattoos-from-the-neck-up

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    10y

    Ive got a few tattoos...and they are visible when I am wearing a tshirt depending on the arm length of the shirt. If you dont want to rent to me, I'll just buy your building :)

    Back when I was newly out of college I rented a room in a rooming house (my mother was actually the owner) and one of the other guys renting a room in the house was a 6'5" 300 lb former member of the Devil's Disciple motorcycle club. Big scary looking dude covered in tattoos. You would not want to mess with the guy. But he had great credit, made about $100k a year, and was one of the nicest guys you would ever meet if you ever took the time to talk to him.  If I recall correctly, he was there about 5 years as a tenant.

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    10y

    It would be highly unlikely that any of the face tattoo guys could make 3X the rent at any of my units, so I wouldn't have to worry about it. The police officer is rejected because she doesn't have the deposit. If you have a place that rents so low that the Aryan nation guys could qualify, you would probably want to reconsider your demographic target, because I can't imagine those guys making more than 10 bucks an hour without doing something illegal. 

    Face tattoos are extremely rare where I live so it's not something I have really thought about. I don't worry too much about it because it's not much of an issue here. 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    I'm liking everyone's answers a lot!  I was honestly expecting a lot more in favor of discriminating against tattooed individuals so this is great to hear!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    It is so mainstream in young  people today to have tattoos. It did not used to be that way, now it is very common.  I would just base my decision on offensive content not visibility.  I guess you could consider their job type too if they have facial tattoos.  I can't say it even comes up with my tenants, I couldn't tell you which ones have them and which don't.  

    My friend got her first tattoo on her 70th birthday because she always wanted one. It surprised her grandchildren for about 5 minutes but the daughter-in-law was really upset. They are not nearly as unusual as they used to be.

  • Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
    10y

    I do a complete back ground check criminal ,of course credit check . .Any major felony the application is rejected .I make them sign a separate drug policy statement too.

    .Fact last tenants were married the female had tattoos up her arm, basic house wife they paid on time no issues .Fact I would say she was a high class women really a go getter.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gail K.:

    Other than meeting an applicant who has "I killed my last landlord" tattooed on their face focus on other, more important factors when screening an applicant for your rental.I

    Gail

    I think I'm non-discriminatory and unflappable, given what I've seen in my markets and as a landlord.  I also have tattoos.  But gotta agree the "I killed my last landlord" tattoo would give me pause.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    @Mark B., I think it is a judgement call about denying someone based on tattoos. Being tattooed is not a protected class, so you don't risk court. It is always safer to use a concrete reason to deny an application, such as low credit score or not having 3X rent.

    I have 8 tattoos, and an 815 credit score. There is no 100% correlation between tattoos and a willingness or ability to pay rent.

    Screen your tenants carefully. If they give you the heebie-jeebies, trust your gut.

    A teardrop near the eye is supposed to symbolize having killed someone. I'd discriminate against that tattoo...

     I have 2 tattoos and my credit score is only in the 700s.  Must get more.

  • Rental Property Investor · Hailey, ID · Member since 2015 · 218 posts · 143 votes
    10y

    Disclaimer: I have full sleeves, chest and back tattooed.

    If you're worried about gang tattoos...probably not the best neighborhood to own a property. And if you do, you better understand the colors of the gang, tattoos, and markings. All info I'm sure the local Police would be willing to share with you.

    That being said, it's something like ⅓ Americans now have at least 1 tattoo, and something around 2/5 millennials have one, don't quote me on that one, but I believe I'm fairly accurate in my recollection.

    Echoing what others previously said, still more important factors that will be a deal breaker other than tattoos.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @JD Martin:

    It would be highly unlikely that any of the face tattoo guys could make 3X the rent at any of my units, so I wouldn't have to worry about it. The police officer is rejected because she doesn't have the deposit. If you have a place that rents so low that the Aryan nation guys could qualify, you would probably want to reconsider your demographic target, because I can't imagine those guys making more than 10 bucks an hour without doing something illegal. 

    Face tattoos are extremely rare where I live so it's not something I have really thought about. I don't worry too much about it because it's not much of an issue here. 

    I live in So Cal.  Every town has drugs and gangs, some more than others.  My farms are mostly inland and desert towns.  I work some pretty bad areas. I've seen LOTS of tattoos. My locksmith team is tattoed to the max and they carry guns.  I have tattoos, my friends and neighbors have tattoos. Yes, we all go to Burning Man and dream of retiring to Portland.  Yet I've seen maybe only one face tattoo in person in my life.  For sure it wasn't Aryan nation related.  I'll take the gang guys over the Aryan nation guys any day.

  • Real Estate Investor · Poulsbo, WA · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    Being in the military I'm surrounded by people with tattoos. Some are good. Some are not so good. I will say that I believe tattoos are becoming more mainstream. But this is all subjective. Stick to the numbers. If you have good information numbers don't lie. I feel like this should be the investors creed.
  • Joseph CatalanoPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Lewiston, NY · Member since 2014 · 192 posts · 97 votes
    10y

    I have ink.  All I care about as a property owner is whether or not they meet my financial qualifications.  As a Criminal Defense Attorney I run into a great number of ------- both with and without ink.

    It comes down to do they qualify!!!

  • Mountain View, CA · Member since 2015 · 30 posts · 8 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Elizabeth Colegrove:

    Honestly I don't care. I don't see many of my tenants because they are sight unseen coming from out of state. If they can qualify financially, have great background and credit score, etc all good in my book :)

    In all fairness, my rents are $1200-$1800 a month so to qualify at 3X rents, my tenants make a significant income. I also require W2 income or if self employed tax records, so I haven't had to worry about looking for signs of illicit activitiies.

     Are you getting that kind of rent in Hanford, California Elizabeth?  

  • Investor · Hillsboro, MO · Member since 2014 · 57 posts · 16 votes
    10y

    Don't forget, they could get inked and pierced after signing the lease, then what?

  • Property Manager & Investor · Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2016 · 37 posts · 41 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Terri Pour-Rastegar:

    I'm pretty sure it violates Fair Housing Law to deny an applicant based solely on whether or not they have tattoos.  Please check your local FHL to see if they speak directly on that issue or not.  Personally, I don't care if someone has tattoos.  Although I am a leary of those with multiple facial tattoos.  But I'm just not sure it would be legal to reject them just for their body art.  Let me know what you find out.

     Pretty sure "tattoos" are not a protected class and are not part of the Federal Fair Housing Act. 

    But can we just use common sense? Tattoos + great rental history and job....yes please. Tattoos + crappy credit,  job hopping, and shaky rental history...pass! It's really that simple, too much weight put into appearance. 

  • Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 390 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark B.:

    Good morning all!

    I do want to preface this with - I did search the forum briefly for a direct answer and found none. So if there is a thread about this, please let me know!

    I was reading a few things about people rejecting tenant applicants with tattoo's.  Of course the discussion went into types of tattoo's (gang, artsy, sentimental). But I'm wondering how people define visible vs. non visible. And also if there are actual rules that can be defined from location and style.

    I'm also assuming the differentiation between men and women matters too.  So where do people draw the lines of visible? For men, I personally consider a visible tattoo to be any tattoo that shows when a person is wearing a t shirt and jeans.  But then for a woman, I know that neck lines are usually lower, so even the collarbone area could be considered visible. 

    Following up on that, in order to protect yourself, would you have to state clear guidelines? Assume I wanted only tenants without visible tattoos (no neck, face, hands), would I have to almost put a chart in the lease? 

    I do want to say that I'm not against most tattoo's, and I try not to judge on tattoo's, but if a tenant has "MOM" tattoo'ed on his forehead... I'm assuming he may not be the best candidate.

    Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

     Mark, I have had very high profile renters over the years, everyone from athletes to rappers and equally low profile renters, I think it is irrelevant tattoos or no tattoos visible or not visible, all that matters is that the individual being reviewed is being equally presented the opportunity to qualify based on your common requirements outlining the financial likelihood of a successful occupancy, it is irrelevant how or who or what the tenant looks like, the only thing that matters is that it is a successful transaction from start to finish, concentrate on the financials not the esthetics of the individual :) Happy Investing!

  • Investor · Bossier City, LA · Member since 2015 · 55 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    Good Evening All,

    Back in 2012, a guy I know was trying to get an apartment and had the references and cash required for the deposit. He applied but was turned down. When he asked why, he was told that he looked like a "hood-rat" and was intimidating.

    The man they turned down is one of my closest friends, and is a Staff Sergeant in the United States Air Force. He has spent the last 15 years serving his country and is one of the most soft-spoken, dedicated, caring and hard-working men I know. He always puts his family and his troops first, and has led me and others on numerous deployments. He spends what little free time he has working out in the gym, because it helps him do his job. Because of this, he is a large man. 

    He also has tattoos. He has what some call "full sleeves;" on his left arm, he has a silhouette of his two children and other family memorabilia, and on his right arm he has, among other things, an American flag and a rifle, which he got to portray his love of this country. Some of the other pieces are for the men and women he served with in combat operations in Afghanistan and other areas, some of whom didn't come home.

    When a guy like this comes into your rental management office and asks for an application, you may never know he is or was military.

    Are you willing to turn him away?

  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    darn hipsters

  • Investor · Barre, VT · Member since 2015 · 129 posts · 96 votes
    10y

    I just had an applicant covered in tattoos. I denied him for many reasons, and the tattoos were on the list. I'm not a huge fan of tattoos and I nearly died when I realized my husband had one, but I think the QUALITY of the tattoo is important, especially for the visible ones. Having crooked, poorly done, misspelled, or classless tattoos in places people can see is just idiotic. This guy had a misspelled neck tattoo and a bunch of other crappy non-professional tattoos all over every portion of his body I could see. If these were obviously well done, professional tattoos I wouldn't have been so dismissive about him. If something is going to be on your body forever, pay for it and make it look good. If you can't "waste" your money on a decent tattoo I'm sure paying rent is also not a top priority.  

  • HVAC Tech · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2015 · 423 posts · 223 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Franklin Romine:

    My first tenant I ever rented too owned a tattoo business.  Wound up evicting them.  Moral to story... tattoos are OK but self employed businesses owners can be bad.  


    Frank

     Lol, say what??? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 880 votes
    10y

    Next we are going to have a thread about whether or not with can deny gingers as tenants. I am more than 60% covered in tattoos, I have an engineering degree, am licensed in multiple states, I have a PhD, teach at multiple universities, have presented and spoken at technical lectures across the world, but this guy won't rent to me.... 

    Google the engineer that landed the rover on the comet for NASA. Dude has some nice sleeves.... also has a PhD. 

    I'm really at a loss with this whole topic... 

  • Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matt Motil:

    Next we are going to have a thread about whether or not with can deny gingers as tenants. I am more than 60% covered in tattoos, I have an engineering degree, am licensed in multiple states, I have a PhD, teach at multiple universities, have presented and spoken at technical lectures across the world, but this guy won't rent to me.... 

    Google the engineer that landed the rover on the comet for NASA. Dude has some nice sleeves.... also has a PhD. 

    I'm really at a loss with this whole topic... 

    I'm also an engineer with tattoo's so I get what you're saying, but you do realize that tattoo's are generally frowned upon (although as stated earlier by people, they are becoming more acceptable). 

    i don't think anyone actually said they wouldn't rent to someone with tattoo's.  I started this thread fully expecting people to say that, but looking back, I don't think anyone has said that tattoo's would be a "denied" on their own.  

    After reading all of the comments, i do now realize that 100% tattoo's won't matter for my future rentals and it should be criteria based

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 354 posts · 186 votes
    10y

    I am covered in tattoos. I own an investment property. I have owned multiple businesses. I currently make about 300K a year aside from my investments. My step sons are also covered in tattoos and all have respectable jobs. Stick to credit, salary and rental history and leave the discrimination to someone else.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.