Visible vs Non Visible Tattoos on Tenant Applicants

Visible vs Non Visible Tattoos on Tenant Applicants

Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes

Good morning all!

I do want to preface this with - I did search the forum briefly for a direct answer and found none. So if there is a thread about this, please let me know!

I was reading a few things about people rejecting tenant applicants with tattoo's.  Of course the discussion went into types of tattoo's (gang, artsy, sentimental). But I'm wondering how people define visible vs. non visible. And also if there are actual rules that can be defined from location and style.

I'm also assuming the differentiation between men and women matters too.  So where do people draw the lines of visible? For men, I personally consider a visible tattoo to be any tattoo that shows when a person is wearing a t shirt and jeans.  But then for a woman, I know that neck lines are usually lower, so even the collarbone area could be considered visible. 

Following up on that, in order to protect yourself, would you have to state clear guidelines? Assume I wanted only tenants without visible tattoos (no neck, face, hands), would I have to almost put a chart in the lease? 

I do want to say that I'm not against most tattoo's, and I try not to judge on tattoo's, but if a tenant has "MOM" tattoo'ed on his forehead... I'm assuming he may not be the best candidate.

Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

1Reply
382 views

Most Popular Reply

Residential Real Estate Broker · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 506 posts · 311 votes
10y

@Elizabeth Colegrove exactly correct.  I've met with rough looking applicants covered in tattoos and they turned out to be the best tenants.  They swing the 3X rent on the rental and come up clean in the background, who am I to judge?

See this reply in the discussion

87 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Statesboro, GA · Member since 2015 · 99 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Mark B., tattoos are not something that should be a deciding factor on a tenant by any means, even if visible. There's plenty of people with tattoos who are very successful and great tenants, as many people on this post have said. It's just a form of art, really. It's becoming a lot more common also. Not to say that 20 years from now that everyone will be covered in tattoos, but I do believe that in that time, the younger crowd will be surprised that people in our time and in the past have been denied jobs simply for having tattoos on their arms. Of course there's some instances where it makes sense to not have a bunch of visible tattoos from a career perspective, but denying a tenant over it is a bad decision. Makes the landlord look judgemental to some. Now if a person has "racist" tattooed across their forehead, that's obviously a whole different story. Although there's probably some sort of loophole around fair housing when it comes to tattoos, I wouldn't avoid that crowd. Even if they don't have the nicest tattoos, you can't make out how well the art is from a neighbor's POV. Had to throw in my two cents being that I have a sleeve that represents my mother being a breast cancer survivor. Credit, employment history/pay, and rental history. All that matters!

  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Geez a little common sense.  Some tattoos are art some are violent anti social statements.  If the tattoo is of the American flag versus a jailhouse tattoo of sexual organs it makes a big difference.  I consider if the tattoo will impact their ability to get a job, most will not, but some will.  I am sure it happens but the vast majority of the folks who I have in court with massive amounts of tattoos and piercings have serious anti social issues that make them repeat customers.  There are folks with nice tasteful tattoos, and I know folks in the military, law enforcement and even judges with tattoos, but they don't have the anti social jailhouse ones. 

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Being a huge Texas Rangers gan, I immediately think of Josh Hamilton and Prince Fielder. Josh's arms are covered in tattoos. Prince has multiples on his neck. I wouldn't say either of their tats are extremely well done. However, they clearly can cover the rent!!  

  • Longview, TX · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Personally I feel that tattoos don't really matter these days. I have a tattoo on my neck and my family has never been bad tenants. Actually we always get told we are the best tenants that they've had. You shouldn't write someone off just for what they look like. 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Matt Motil:

    I'm really at a loss with this whole topic... 

    I find it extremely interesting. It touches on many interesting themes -

    don't judge a book by it's cover, where there is smoke there is fire, stereotyping, discrimination... and probably a lot more.

    On gingers, no freak'n way, they are nothing but trouble!

    I think there is a lot of humor in this thread and a lot of sarcasm, some people might just be missing it.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 354 posts · 186 votes
    10y

    I don't rent to people with beards, anyone over 6'2", and left handers.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2015 · 52 posts · 20 votes
    10y
    Bunch of people have tattoos with high income and they are very reliable tenants. I truly believe that is not an indicator to choose ur candidates from.
  • Sandy, UT · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark B.:

    Good morning all!

    I do want to preface this with - I did search the forum briefly for a direct answer and found none. So if there is a thread about this, please let me know!

    I was reading a few things about people rejecting tenant applicants with tattoo's.  Of course the discussion went into types of tattoo's (gang, artsy, sentimental). But I'm wondering how people define visible vs. non visible. And also if there are actual rules that can be defined from location and style.

    I'm also assuming the differentiation between men and women matters too.  So where do people draw the lines of visible? For men, I personally consider a visible tattoo to be any tattoo that shows when a person is wearing a t shirt and jeans.  But then for a woman, I know that neck lines are usually lower, so even the collarbone area could be considered visible. 

    Following up on that, in order to protect yourself, would you have to state clear guidelines? Assume I wanted only tenants without visible tattoos (no neck, face, hands), would I have to almost put a chart in the lease? 

    I do want to say that I'm not against most tattoo's, and I try not to judge on tattoo's, but if a tenant has "MOM" tattoo'ed on his forehead... I'm assuming he may not be the best candidate.

    Any and all thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Sarah Ziehr:

    @Mark B. Interesting... when I hear tattoo I think Hipster. 

     I guess it depends on one's generation ... I think of the salty, old chief petty officer who was the boatswain in my first ship.

  • Sandy, UT · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    "would you have to state clear guidelines? Assume I wanted only tenants without visible tattoos (no neck, face, hands), would I have to almost put a chart in the lease?"

    Just curious, when would it be necessary to give a reason for not leasing to an applicant? How would a tenant ever know the reason why his/her application was not selected?

  • Investor · Corona, CA · Member since 2014 · 746 posts · 372 votes
    10y

    FAIR HOUSING!

  • Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Rici Ryan:

    "would you have to state clear guidelines? Assume I wanted only tenants without visible tattoos (no neck, face, hands), would I have to almost put a chart in the lease?"

    Just curious, when would it be necessary to give a reason for not leasing to an applicant? How would a tenant ever know the reason why his/her application was not selected?

    That's one of the reasons I made this thread.  I'm also wondering about a situation where you have two identical tenants. Both identical on paper (credit scores, references, lets even say they are in the same protected groups). 

    What do I tell the tenant that doesn't get accepted?  Regardless or tattoo's or not, I like both people, both meet EVERY bit of my criteria, both are friendly. 

    I've been reading more about "tenant discrimination" and I feel like any time you deny someone who meets your criteria (I'd like to hope that I will have multiple applicants that meet my criteria), they will threaten to sue you.

  • Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2015 · 377 posts · 200 votes
    10y

    Regarding tattoos, who cares?  I have no tattoos.  In my construction company if I had a no tattoo policy, I would have no employees.

    I have not had to reject tenants yet, but I imagine the hiring/firing process is similar.

    "I chose to go in another direction."

    I already filled the position (lease).  Short and simple with very little info is best.

  • Investor · Wheaton, IL · Member since 2013 · 77 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    What does having a tattoo have to do with a person's ability to pay rent?

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2010 · 76 posts · 55 votes
    10y

    I have tenants with tattoos, however if I had 2 identical tenants who applied at exactly the same time, one with, and one without tattoos, I would probably take the tenant without tattoos.  I always take the first qualified tenant who applies, so thus far I haven't run into this situation.

    There are more tattoos in the jailhouse than the penthouse.  Many professions still discriminate against tattoos, and that can limit a tenants employment opportunities.   

    I have spent the last 17 years working in the corporate world as my day job, working with thousands of colleagues over that time, and I have never worked with a single person who had a tattoo visible at work.  So that is 1 area where a tenant with tattoos just shut off their opportunity.  

    I hire a lot of construction guys on my rehabs, and there are tattoos all over some of the hardest working, most honest people you will ever meet.  Visible tattoos don't make someone a bad person, but do limit their potential employment opportunities.

  • Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adam P:

     I always take the first qualified tenant who applies, so thus far I haven't run into this situation.

    I think this is the answer I'm looking for then.  But then the follow up would be, what do you tell the other qualified people? "The apt has already been rented, but thank you very much for applying and I'll keep you in mind if I have another vacancy?" Do you need to give a reason why they didn't get the apt?

  • High School Teacher · Pima, AZ · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 49 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mike F.:

    These guys have good reference from past landlord, have good credit and make 3 times the rent, yea or nay?

     Outright no for both, I would find another tenant and leave it at that.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2010 · 76 posts · 55 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark B.:
    Originally posted by @Adam P:

     I always take the first qualified tenant who applies, so thus far I haven't run into this situation.

    I think this is the answer I'm looking for then.  But then the follow up would be, what do you tell the other qualified people? "The apt has already been rented, but thank you very much for applying and I'll keep you in mind if I have another vacancy?" Do you need to give a reason why they didn't get the apt?

     Interestingly, I have been a landlord for 5 years, and have never had 2 qualified tenants apply at exactly the same time.  I provide applications at showing, and let people fax or email the application to me with their details.  I typically process applicants within hours, so see if they qualify.  I sometimes wonder if people that are getting flooded with applicants are pricing their rentals a little low for the market.

    If you were to get 2 identical applicants at the same time, and chose 1.  I would be honest in my response.  Tell the declined applicant you received 2 highly qualified applicants at the same time, and the other applicant received the apartment.  Do not ever do this if 1 applicant clearly applied first, and the other seems like an upgrade.  Either an applicant meets my criteria, or they don't.  Due to never getting 2 applications at exactly the same time, I have never had to reject an applicant that met my criteria.

  • Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adam P:
    Originally posted by @Mark B.:
    Originally posted by @Adam P:

     I always take the first qualified tenant who applies, so thus far I haven't run into this situation.

    I think this is the answer I'm looking for then.  But then the follow up would be, what do you tell the other qualified people? "The apt has already been rented, but thank you very much for applying and I'll keep you in mind if I have another vacancy?" Do you need to give a reason why they didn't get the apt?

     Interestingly, I have been a landlord for 5 years, and have never had 2 qualified tenants apply at exactly the same time.  I provide applications at showing, and let people fax or email the application to me with their details.  I typically process applicants within hours, so see if they qualify.  I sometimes wonder if people that are getting flooded with applicants are pricing their rentals a little low for the market.

    If you were to get 2 identical applicants at the same time, and chose 1.  I would be honest in my response.  Tell the declined applicant you received 2 highly qualified applicants at the same time, and the other applicant received the apartment.  Do not ever do this if 1 applicant clearly applied first, and the other seems like an upgrade.  Either an applicant meets my criteria, or they don't.  Due to never getting 2 applications at exactly the same time, I have never had to reject an applicant that met my criteria.

    Okay perfect! Thank you very much! That is definitely what I needed to know then

  • Real Estate Investor in Training · Harrisburg, PA · Member since 2011 · 54 posts · 10 votes
    10y

    what part of the screening process do tattoos fall under and why is there a distinction between visible/not visible tats and male vs female ? 

  • Investor · Hilliard, OH · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    If you think the guy/gal qualifies, but they are bald or have facial hair, would you not rent to them? These days tattoos are like facial hair or an accessory. I don't like them personally, but to each his/her own.

    To avoid running into issues with Fair Housing, I have a written set of criteria. The first qualified applicant that meets these criteria gets in. I only consider an application complete if they have completed the application form, paid the fee and provided any documentation that I need. I also let the next person know that they are the 2nd or 3rd in line.

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2016 · 35 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    I would suggest that you not put a tattoo exclusion in your formal criteria, and that you don't tell an applicant you are rejecting them because of their tattoos.  While tattoos might not be a protected class, freedom of speech (expression) is protected, and denying solely on that might get you in hot water.  A litmus test might be: If you were a baker and you refused to bake them a cake because they had a visible tattoo, how would that play out in the community; in the media; in the courts.

    Just my $0.02.

  • Engineer · Allentown, PA · Member since 2014 · 105 posts · 64 votes
    10y

    So I think its fair to say that tattoo's should not be brought into the equation.

    Thank you all for the comments !

    Thread ready to be closed

  • Jared SawyerPro Member
    The Dalles, OR · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 6 votes
    10y

    Interesting thread!!!
    I'm sure there are plenty of attorneys that would find something about the prospective tattooed tenant that is being violated under fair housing laws and take you to court in hopes of settling because it would be more expensive for you to go through a trial even if you do win!

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 28 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    Interesting topic but I am not touching this one with a 10 foot pole!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.