• Katy, TX
Votes |
My Tenant has Cancer, rent is late...now what do I do

Jon Burns
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Katy, TX
Posted Sep 12 2016, 22:09

I was hoping to get some suggestions from fellow landlords and property managers on how you might approach this situation.

Tenant has been with me for almost a year.  She is nice older lady, that has taken good care of her apartment, kept me informed about the place, and has referred prospective tenants for other units in the building.  She has only been late on rent one time up until about 6 weeks ago.  She informed that she was having surgery to remove a tumor, and that due to the missed time from work, she was going to be short on rent, but would pay half the rent, then the balance over the next 2 pay periods.  I was understanding to her situation and agreed.  She has been unable to bring rent all the way current, but has made payments.  I have now been informed that they have found more tumors, and additional treatments will be necessary.  She insists she can make a payment to get caught up towards the end of the month, and wants to know if I will work with her.

Would you ask her to leave?  And if so, how would you handle it?

Would you work with her?  And if so, how would you structure it?  Where do you draw the line before asking her to move?

Loading replies...