Investor · Maryville, IL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 81 votes
When you're showing your property or interviewing a prospective tenant, do you purposefully wear a certain type of clothing?
I've only worn what I had on that day, so sometimes I was working on the property when they came by and it was scrubby paint stained jeans and t-shirt, and other times, I was coming from work or church and I was wearing finer attire.
Do you make a point to wear anything specific or avoid wearing anything specific and do you think it matters?
Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes
10y
@Kurt Gardner I usually wear business causal. I want to set a certain tone. I want tenants to know I take renting out my units seriously and that we handle it as a business, like it should be. I think some tenants like it and it may weed out a few that would want to pull a fast one on a landlord.
Financial Advisor · Stephenville, TX · Member since 2016 · 163 posts · 85 votes
10y
great question! Like @Carolina E. I try to do business casual because I want them to take me seriously (and that's hard enough being a minority female). I think it also depends on the role you want to project. Are you the maintenance guy (paint splatters are reasonable) or the property manager. IDK if this applies to a man. IN my church we wear a lot of shiny suits and big hats so I *definitely* don't go in that but my hubs wears a regular business suit/sportcoat so that would be fine for him. I'm looking forward to other responses.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
I am a high school teacher and a wrestling coach. So I'm usually wearing a team polo and some khakis.
It's more professional than jeans or construction clothes and the people see that I know how to hit a blast-double.
Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 124 posts · 31 votes
10y
George P made a good point. When a tenant meets you they need to understand that house rent is not just additional earnings for you, it is your business, which you are taken seriously. Landlords often forget that tenants also evaluate them.
I dress according to what I am doing at the time we meet. My tenants get a very clear understanding of how I operate based on what I say and how I act. My tenants meet their landlord not a business man.
Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes
10y
I agree with @Thomas S.. I dress based upon what I have to do that day. If I am coming from my 9-5, I dress in business attire. If it is my day off and I am running errands, I am dressed in what is comfortable with me.
I believe that it is all in how you behave and speak with a tenant that will dictate your future relationship. I have met prospective tenants and signed leases in stretchy pants and a t-shirt, but when it comings to discussing business, I am ALL business. It takes about an hour to go through the lease agreement and signing, along with the walk-through. Everything is discussed and documented so the tenant knows that I know what I am taking about and what I expect.
My properties are in B and C areas and I want the tenant to feel comfortable with me so they can communicate with me on a regular basis. I do not want them to hide anything from me or avoid me. I do know what the reprucussions are if a tenant feels that they can call you for any and every thing. But I make it a point to tell them that I answer the phone from 9-5. Any phone call outside of those hours will require a detailed message and if I decide that it is an emergency, i will call them back.
I know that others may have a different opinion, but I do what works for me.
Investor · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2015 · 207 posts · 121 votes
10y
All......my apologies for all of the typos and grammatical errors. I should have proofread my posting twice before I sent it. But I hope that you can get the gist of what I am saying.
Investor · Edwardsville, IL · Member since 2015 · 432 posts · 481 votes
10y
I think it is important to project a professional image to prospective tenants and try to wear "dressy casual". The tenant knows from the beginning that this a business for me and not a hobby. I think a suit could be intimidating to some tenants whereas a t-shirt and dirty jeans will send a different signal that you are the handyman. Yes, I wear blue jeans and a t-shirt when I am doing repairs but not for the initial meeting.
Investor · Maryville, IL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 81 votes
10y
Great responses, all. I think I still feel ok with my "not dressing to impress" philosophy, for a couple reasons.
First, I don't feel like a tenant cares about renting from a person wearing a suit or sweatpants. They want a place that is clean, affordable, and a landlord that is pleasant to deal with, not a snappy dresser. Wearing super nice clothes could even cause a sense of resentment because I may be perceived as some rich fatcat (there was a similar thread that discussed how tenants drove nicer cars than the landlord, and most agreed that that didn't bother them.
Second, I have a very serious contract discussion with the tenant when we sign. I make it 100% clear this is business not personal, I am fair and firm, and I have high expectations for them. We rent only month to month and one of the strongest points I make is if this doesn't seem to work for them OR us, we will part ways with 30 days notice.
I do not judge my tenants by their attire, and I like to make my appearance approachable.
I should also point out that there is a $50 application fee for a credit/background check, and that does more to screen the "not serious" tenant more than anything else. Thanks for the good input all!
Cloths, vehicles etc. do convey a message, the problem is you have no idea how that message is being received by a stranger. Dress any way you want but do not assume cloths will convey any specific message. Your words, attitude and actions convey the message not your cloths.
Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
10y
I have been the best dressed guy in the room and the worst dressed guy. I would always rather be the best dressed one.
Dress makes a difference because you want to set the tone that you are the one in charge. Dressing nicer puts you in a power position in any situation, because you look successful and command more respect.
Want proof? Try going to a car lot in sweat pants with paint stains. Then go back in a dress suit. You tell me which will give you better service and more respect? Same reason your banker lawyer dress up. Studies even show people who dress nice stand taller and have more confidence.
I see myself as a business man and professional, so I dress accordingly.
I am not saying you cannot be a landlord if you dress sloppy, but you will gain an advantage if you dress nicely.
Also a comment on vehicles. I always drive my wife's late model minivan. I keep it washed and clean inside at all times. It looks nice, but not overpriced, so I am professional without appearing to flaunt my wealth. The sports car stays home when I visit tenants.
As for other tips, arrive early. Be organized and on a schedule. Use proper grammar. Avoid gossip or any negativity.
Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
10y
I often find myself in my work cloths (I am a contractor). My wife is a nurse and has done showings in scrubs. I really don't think it matters. It has more how you run your business. There is a Local owner he has about 300 units. He and his brothers built them all. They are in there 80's now. I have never seen him in anything but bib overalls and always wears his chrome hard hat, Same one for like 30 years. Has an old red truck probably 200000 miles on it. Neat old guy.. Probably worth 20mill plus.
You guys are giving tenants far more credit than they generally deserve in regards to being "impressed" by appearances. .
My interpretation of people in suites or "dressed well" is fairly grass roots much like many tenants. Remember tenants are usually either younger or without the money to actually own their own home. They go through life being looked down upon by people in suites every day. The only people impressed by suites are other people that ware suits.
Being dressed well can make you appear to be in a power position, something generally resented by "renters". Looking successful translates to wealthy landlord and rarely garners respect. The vast majority of tenants harbour a hidden resentment of landlords for that reason.
When buying cars or other high price ticket items I ware street cloths, never dress up, I hate walking on to a lot looking like I don't have a clue about what I am buying. They cut through the sales BS pretty quick and get straight to the bottom line which I can almost guarantee will be lower than the bottom line offered to a suit. My father was in front line sales for 40 years and for him a guy in a suit had sucker written all over it. He lavished them with what he referred to as "suck up service".
If you are renting to a suit there is no problem wearing a suit otherwise take some time to understand your target market. I do not want my perspective tenants to think I am simply a suit that sits behind a desk and counts rent checks.
It's all about understanding others not at all about how you feel about yourself.
Just my personal opinions of course and since opinions are like A holes, as they say, and everyone already has one why would you need anyone else's.
Investor · Alabaster, AL · Member since 2016 · 280 posts · 88 votes
10y
I don't dress up or down for tenants. What you see is what you get.....the contract and me going over it line by line, that's how I approach it... if someone calls me to view a property and I prequalify them for a showing over the phone, I am not going home to change if I am at my son's soccer game, or at a closing....
Rental Property Investor · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2016 · 262 posts · 205 votes
10y
This is an interesting post! Thanks for putting this out there. I am transitioning from stay-at-home-mom to RE investor/landlady and while I am very well-spoken and highly educated, I still worry about what is appropriate for appearance's sake. I have never had a job where business attire was required. I don't wear makeup, prefer to wear my comfy Birkenstocks and I wear my hair in dreadlocks. However, when I go to meet other people in the business or tenants, I pull my hair into a bun and wear what I would wear to church. 'Seems to be fine for now but I am open to suggestions!
I often find myself in my work cloths (I am a contractor). My wife is a nurse and has done showings in scrubs. I really don't think it matters. It has more how you run your business. There is a Local owner he has about 300 units. He and his brothers built them all. They are in there 80's now. I have never seen him in anything but bib overalls and always wears his chrome hard hat, Same one for like 30 years. Has an old red truck probably 200000 miles on it. Neat old guy.. Probably worth 20mill plus.
I think your $20 mil guy has a brother over here. Mine wears a cowboy hat instead of a hard hat and likes a nicer truck. But he's older at 91. An in the flesh Sam Walton.
Did a deal with him in the middle of a Tuesday in my homeless construction painter plumber clothes I always seem to be wearing as a DIY landlord.
Sam didn't care. My banker and title people don't care. My tenants don't ask me if I'm the owner. Nit-picks don't apply. I only show places while I'm there working anyway.
Based on Jackie's post what is the condenses on attire for female as opposed to male landlords. Is there a different perception by tenants between male and female landlords when it comes to attire.
I believe there is a different perception due to social standards/expectation rather than a tenants perception based solely on the individual being a landlord. I personally believe a female landlord may choose any attire they wish in presenting themselves as a landlord without judgement where as a male will be judged based more on their attire by tenants.
If I showed up at my properties in a suit I would be asked whose funeral I was attending where as my wife in corresponding business attire would not be given a second thought regarding her cloths.
Church cloths ?.... not sure what they are, could be a different matter.
Investor · Maryville, IL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 81 votes
10y
I am thoroughly enjoying this discussion, too @Jacqueline Coombs. It is interesting to see the perspective and experience each of you has had regarding perception or tenants and "first impressions."
I have seen responses I expected and a few I did not. I believe every person who has joined this site has an ultimate goal of learning this business and being successful (whatever that term means to you). I think it's also clear that there are different approaches toward that same end.
Again, I have enjoyed reading each of your answers relative to the topic, and even more so, hearing the "inside" answers to the question - how are you motivated and what is your process?