Investor · Maryville, IL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 81 votes
When you're showing your property or interviewing a prospective tenant, do you purposefully wear a certain type of clothing?
I've only worn what I had on that day, so sometimes I was working on the property when they came by and it was scrubby paint stained jeans and t-shirt, and other times, I was coming from work or church and I was wearing finer attire.
Do you make a point to wear anything specific or avoid wearing anything specific and do you think it matters?
Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 183 posts · 72 votes
10y
Like @Amber Gonion, @Carolina E., and @JJ Conway I dress business casual. I like to give the impression that I'm all business and then develop a rapport later on, after I'm sure I'm being taken seriously. I am usually at least ten years younger than my tenants and dressing up makes me feel more likely to start with their respect.
I have an additional thought regarding this question if I can add a follow-up:
If you "dress up" - either business casual, full business attire, or church clothes (@Thomas S. we call that our Sunday finest) or just wear whatever, what do you do in the rehab portion of your properties?
All? Some? or None? I'm curious to see if there is a relationship between the amount of personal/hands-on work done to rehab and what you would wear?
I contract out most of my work, however, I do the finish work that involves painting, cleanup, changing out a few fixtures, installing towel rods, and minor things I do not want to pay my contractor an hourly rate to do. Consequently, it's convenient for me to do some general work and show the property.
Investor · NW Indiana · Member since 2012 · 833 posts · 197 votes
10y
I usually don't show the property during the rehab, but if its more convenient for you to be working and showing, just take extra clothes you change into before they get there. But if that's not possible then just remain professional and the tenant should realize you are to be taken seriously.
New Jersey, NJ · Member since 2015 · 327 posts · 137 votes
10y
When I read your head line "What do your wear" I was thinking someone just got xoxo on the BP forum lol and I see about 26 responses so I was assuming people got on the offensive mode and starting attacking.
I feel dumb lol now that I read what is the dress code attire in RE when conducting rental process.
Real Estate Agent · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2016 · 183 posts · 72 votes
10y
@Kurt Gardner Interesting correlation idea. I do 100% of the rehab on my places but I don't tell my tenants so explicitly or implicitly by letting them see me at it. I know what I'm doing but I worry that my age and my relationship to the property might make them assume that the work isn't professional quality.
Investor · Maryville, IL · Member since 2016 · 129 posts · 81 votes
10y
@George P. - I laughed out loud...you, sir are a shrewd business man!
@Madeline Burke - wow, that's great and you're already skewing my hypothesis that those who'd wear the finest would do the least...great job! You remind me of my good friend and encourager Dorothy...she does every single bit of her work and is amazing. She also doesn't play...I would never want to be a tenant who chaps her.
Awesome question... Been wondering the exact same thing myself. My fiance and I are about to close on our first duplex. We're trying to lease a high-end unit that will demand a rent premium. Because of that fact, I'll probably rock a suit but without a tie.
I don't want to be over the top, but I do want to leave an impression of professionalism. I'm actually looking forward to the process.
Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 351 posts · 80 votes
10y
@Kurt Gardner If I was doing the rehab, I'd dress accordingly. If I was checking in on a contractor, I'd 'come as I am' that day. The point is, I would not go change clothes to stop by a project.
Real Estate Broker · CA · Member since 2016 · 243 posts · 226 votes
10y
I don't worry about it, whatever I happen to have on. But I never drive my wife's Audi to the apartments, always take my truck. And funny enough, a guy we bought 11 buildings off of said my truck was too nice "like an overpaid contractor". I told him, "but it is 7 years old and has 106,000 miles, what exactly are you looking for me to roll up in?". I can rent a $5000/month place in sandals, no one cares.
Financial Advisor · Stephenville, TX · Member since 2016 · 163 posts · 85 votes
10y
My last rehab was naaaasssty so it was grubby clothes on site. But then I wasn't interacting much with potential tenants. A few who were interested came along Even though it was mine and I intended to manage it myself, my standard line was "I'll take your info and pass it to the investors"
Investor · Tallmadge, OH · Member since 2015 · 258 posts · 275 votes
10y
We have single family home, B neighborhood rentals. My standard attire for showing homes to prospective tenants is a pair of nice jeans, heels, a blouse, and a blazer. If I were showing a luxury apartment unit, on the other hand, I think a suit would be more appropriate. My philosophy is to wear something that will make a good impression on the tenants (business-like, but a "normal" person; I don't want tenants to think of me as an "uppity" rich landlord), and portray how I expect them to keep the property (neat & clean). In that same vein, I also tend to drive an older, but clean and well cared-for, vehicle to appointments.
Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 9 posts · 5 votes
10y
Suits may come across as over the top or may set the impression of “rich landlord” who wants to charge a lot of rent. I think it’s important to dress in a way that makes the other party feel comfortable and relatable, while at the same time making yourself feel confident. I think there are many clothing styles that would accomplish this that could be based on your lifestyle and your direct role in rehabbing/maintaining/managing a property.
Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 464 votes
10y
I am a millwright by trade for my day job, run a construction business on the side and manage 20 some units mostly my own. The majority of my interactions with my tenants, we'll most folks in general, I have safety glasses on my forehead, holes in the knees of my pants and ripped clothes with plenty of construction stains. Heck if I am working outside on a nice sunny day, I am usually shirtless as well. I also drive a 1996 GMC 1/2 ton pickup, which is full of materials and tools.
I never have an issue with folks knowing what my position is or that I run a business, not a hobby activity. I feel if you need a flashy vehicle or snappy clothes to speak for you or display your position, you are doing something wrong. I have heard the some stories about the service folks have recieved from their suited landlords...
Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 173 posts · 85 votes
10y
I wear whatever I have on that day. Depending upon what I wear to work that day it is jeans or business casual. My wife will show units in her scrubs and other days it's jeans. In spring/summer we will show in shorts. We get a strong rent compared to our area and I do not feel that going over the top in our dress will have any bearing on how we are perceived by the prospective tenants. We treat everyone respectfully and fairly.
Litchfield, NH · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 6 votes
10y
I get extremely aggravated by someone in a suit that has no idea what there doing, You can see BS coming from a mile away. Know your stuff and you'll be taken seriously. I've had many business meetings over the years with poor to rich and everything in between, I find the most confident and prepared people dress for comfort and really don't care what you think. Almost always the case with the rich. Be honest, up front and know what you're talking about and you'll be respected.