Managing your own properties

Managing your own properties

Investor · Havre De Grace, MD · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 3 votes

I have had a rental property for almost 5 years now.  I have been happy with my property management company for the most part.  However, I would like to start taking care of this on my own.  I feel like the knowledge and experience of the ins and outs of this property would be important for my future investments.  I am hoping that someone could recommend to me, some resources to read or watch that could help me with understanding the basics of managing a property and then some more detailed information.  I would like to find out how to perform credit and background checks first and foremost.  Additionally, I would like to find out what are the things I need to do to protect myself from a legal standpoint.

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Red Bank, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

"Landlording" is a fun and informative book to read and to reference.

"The Property Management Toolkit" is a book I really enjoy.

I would lose at least $16k a year just by taking on a property management company. And that is before they start charging me for "work" and putting in their tenants.

I really love it. And the most time I put in is just repositioning the properties, it all falls into place once you get the hang of it. 

On 9 units I got 4 phone calls this year. I am going to pay someone $16k to answer 4 phone calls???

I placed 3 great tenants this year that I vetted. It really was not at all difficult...I'm going to pay someone $4900 (1 months rent for 3) for their tenants?

So I would be out $21k and I haven't even gotten into the incidentals they will charge.

We really enjoy it. It is another aspect of family time for us. Much is play and some is work, I am hopeful my boys will have a great working knowledge so if they want to take it over they can. Regardless I think it gives them knowledge of a business and I am ever pushing them to develop a work ethic ;) They are 10 and 7 so they have time.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Broker · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2016 · 665 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I think everyone should do some self-managing at least enough to understand how to interview a PM and to analyze if they may not fit into your idea of a good PM.

    If you don't know how to do Credit Checks, etc.... how are you really going to interview a PM to see if they are good for you?

    @Ryan Pyle has it right. Once you understand how to manage your own property, you throw off the veil of illusion that somehow it's hugely time consuming or difficult.

    I do want to qualify the above to say that some properties are time consuming and difficult, especially in War Zones or similar neighborhoods.

    BUT if you did your due diligence correctly AND you have reliable contractors in an "A" or "B" neighborhood, I can't see why you are putting in more than 5 or 10 hours a week at the MOST!

    BTW, my rent revenues approaches 7 figures on 8 multi-family "A" class properties. If I gave the PM to a management company, it would cost me $100s of thousands of dollars.

    Why do that when I can put in 10 to 20 hours a week (which rarely happens and sometimes I don't do anything for months) and I take care of my properties and protect it as best as an owner can protect it. There is no better person to protect your properties from Liability than you.

    Eventually, when I do need to leave the properties to a PM, it will be a PM that I created with my Quality of PMing.

    By self managing as well, you can implement things like Automatic Rent Collection, Automatic Bill Pay, etc.

    Anyway, is it worth PMing for a little while? YES. You learn a lot and you can figure out if the PM company you are going to hire is worth the money, depending on their services and quality of work.

  • Stephen FryerPro Member
    Investor · Ottawa ON / South Bend, IN · Member since 2013 · 186 posts · 93 votes
    8y

    Hey @Andrew Bertram.   Interesting conversation.

    I'm investing from a distance, so have no choice but to use a PM. I just make certain that I account for the expense when I am doing my initial analysis. My personal perspective is that PM is a good example of the difference between working "in" your business rather than "on" your business.

    I agree with @Joe Villeneuve.   For those of us that are looking to create a scalable business, managing your own properties would be a low paying task that takes me away from doing more important things like speaking with sellers and negotiating deals.

    If, on the other hand, you have a couple of properties and no real desire to expand beyond that, then managing your own properties would be a good way to minimize expenses and maximize NOI.

    Depends on your perspective and personal circumstances.

  • Rental Property Investor · Whittier, CA · Member since 2014 · 324 posts · 268 votes
    8y

    My wife and I self manage our (local) 31 units.  Part of this is "family time", we see it as an important part of raising our 3 children to teach them about business, about swinging hammers and painting walls and landscaping, about marketing and accounting and legal and about being understanding but firm with tenant problems.  This doesn't mean we do all the work as a family, we certainly sub out a lot of maintenance and repairs, but pick and choose things to get exposure in.  We average about 3-5 contacts a month from our tenants, but the work scales significantly when we are trying to fill a vacancy.

    Our business is buy, hold and operate.  At some point we may shift to an externally managed portfolio, but we are realizing the benefits of self management at this point.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    This has been a good discussion so I don't have anything profound to add about the PM vs no PM debate.

    I would disagree that self-managing is a 'low paying job'.  An ounce of prevention.... by placing awesome tenants (saving me an avg of $935 each) and doing my own big preventative maintenance stuff, for little time,  saves me the average salary of a working double income family in my area.    

    A dollar saved for me is $1.35 earned, so if I wanted to 'work on my business' I better do it to the tune of $60,000 a year. I may as well get a job.  No thanks.  

    I've gone over to assess and service wall heaters, water heaters, stoves, a/c, furnaces etc and saved $1200 in 5 minutes.  Most of my issues are handled over the phone, not with the Maytag man.  I had it corrected before you could write and lick and stick a check for that $300 breaker flip.

    I don't do credit checks.  Most of my people have 0 credit scores and are highly placeable professionals with zero debt. That means no payments.  I scoop them up after they've being rejected by the big agencies that have their head so far up their fico score it's all they see.  When needed, if I'm nervous, I ask them to bring me their credit report and ID.  Has never been a problem.  I do background and sex offender checks in less than 2 minutes each.  I have the free state-provided sites bookmarked.

    Great discussion!

  • Investor · Owensboro, KY · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Andrew,

    I just bought my first investment property (duplex) and I'm getting ready to start the rehab process. I plan on self managing and will be looking to place tenants within the next 60 days. I know that I can manage my assets more than someone that will never care about my property/financial well-being as much as I do.

    In the meantime, I have been reading Brandon's book "The book on managing rental properties".  I bought a used copy of it which just might be the best $16.00 I have ever spent. 

    That book literally tells you ever single thing to do, step by step, in pretty much any situation. Has every form you could think of to evict, lease,....everything. He even mentions a lot of great tools to help put your business on more of an autopilot mode like the free google phone service. 

    But most importantly he tells you all the things not to do and why most landlords fail. And it all comes down to mindset, having systems, and treating your business like a business and not a half-hearted hobby.

    In short, just get the book. Its worth 1000x whatever you pay for it.

    Thanks Brandon for writing that book!

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 273 posts · 91 votes
    8y

    Hi Andrew!

    Luckily, there are some awesome online resources available to assist independent landlords. Utilizing these can really help manage your property while keeping the property filled with qualified tenants. 

    Try to familiarize yourself with what is out there!

    Good luck! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2015 · 176 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    In my opinion, a PM is a must for some and not so much for others. So much depends on your current situation and goals. If you own 35 properties but work a full time job, you will want a PM. If you’re retired, rentals in close proximity etc. you could manage yourself. You may have experience while others don’t. There are a lot of variables. If you do choose a PM, take the advice of BP members because you need a good dependable PM that’s also looking out for your interests.
  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jim S.:

    If all you want to do is own properties and have someone else do all the work. Good for you. That is not what I want. We all want different things. I have no desire to go to ANY foreign country. I haven’t had a phone call in over a year. Emails once in a while. I do all my own PM’s, maintenance, repairs, reno’s. That’s what I want to do. As far as the 50% rule. I’m at 70-75% and I am debt free. No mortgages, truck payments, credit cards. I realize this style would never work for a lot of you and that’s ok. It’s what works for me and more importantly it’s what I want. I hope every one of you can say the same.

     "It’s what works for me and more importantly it’s what I want"
    Exactly!! People like Joe and Ralph have not only determined what is best for them, but have decided that those of us who do things differently are unsuccessful, unprofessional, and not real investors. They cannot think outside the box they have built for themselves.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Not a bad idea.  But I'd probably do the opposite.  If something isn't broken, don't fix it.

    Someone on this thread mentioned he would never manage his own properties.  It is rare to find a good property manager though.  Many larger landlords create their own property management companies so they can carefully watch over their investments.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hailey, ID · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Andrew Bertram:

    I have had a rental property for almost 5 years now.  I have been happy with my property management company for the most part.  However, I would like to start taking care of this on my own.  I feel like the knowledge and experience of the ins and outs of this property would be important for my future investments.  I am hoping that someone could recommend to me, some resources to read or watch that could help me with understanding the basics of managing a property and then some more detailed information.  I would like to find out how to perform credit and background checks first and foremost.  Additionally, I would like to find out what are the things I need to do to protect myself from a legal standpoint.

    Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

    Thanks.

    To be, or not to be: that is the question:  

    From a legal standpoint, make sure you've got a solid lease prepared specifically for your state and respective landlord/tenant laws.  Your lease is the first thing anybody (the Judge) is going to look at for answers when it get's messy.  I suggest you consult with a real estate attorney and come up with a lease that is very thorough.  

    When self managing, you've got to remember its a business and not a charity.   You give an inch and tenants can take a mile and its hard to ever catch back up.  Don't let personal feelings get in the way of your decisions if possible.  This is why it's priceless to have a good property manager who insulates you from getting emotionally involved along with your partner/husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/etc.  An unbiased referee can help you sleep easier for a nominal fee which you should be negotiated depending on your property profile.  One property shouldn't be a problem to manage on your own if you live within minutes.  

    ~William Shakespeare, 1564 - 1616. To be, or not to be: that is the question: Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, Or to take arms against a sea of troubles, And by opposing end them?

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    Hi @Andrew Bertram, 

    Take my thoughts on PM resources with a grain of salt, I am new at this. I have one SFH rented out so far, and have started my REI path with self managing as part of this first deal. Here are the resources I have delved into and found helpful. I will do my best to incorporate legal aspects since that was a big part of your inquiry.

    1. NOLO has some good books on property management. My favorite is "Every Landlords Legal Guide". It's got great summaries of different areas of legality in owning and managing investment properties. I think it's also a good read for those who hire PMs as an FYI.

    2. Your lease. I worked with a real estate attorney to review our lease, which I put a lot of work into. That work included reading NOLO and reaching out to local folks here who have properties. In asking about their experiences I got some great pointers to be sure to include based on their difficult situations. At the end of the day I highly recommend having an attorney review to be sure you are in compliance with state and local laws.

    3. Asset protection and liability. My investment property is owned in the name of an LLC, with an attorney reviewed Operating Agreement in place. Be sure your documents are in good order, because if they are flawed they can be invalidated in court and you could lose your intended asset protection. Also, umbrella liability insurance policy coverage.

    4. Tenant screening. I also use TransUnion Smartmove and recommend it. The report was thorough and easy to review. I also really liked that I never collect applicant birth dates or SSNs - they put those in directly to the site. That eases my risk of being accused of identity theft or something down the road. I was upfront with applicants that I would be reviewing criminal and eviction histories, that weeded some folks out at the front end. I also stuck to my requirement that the income be at least 3x the rent. It took a little longer (3weeks), but I found amazing tenants for the property.

    I also introduced myself to the neighbors and gave them my contact info in case they ever had concerns, along with some nice potted plants. They seemed to appreciate the gesture. While that could increase my phone calls I would rather know early on if there was something fishy going on.

    Best of luck to you on this next chapter!

  • Folsom, CA · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    Andrew, Property Management is the most important part of real estate investing. You can find the best deal and the most upgraded property only to have a crappy tenant selected by someone who has little to no vested interest in your future. I would take this as an opportunity to understand competitor units to see how they are being marketed, visit rentometer to see what others are charging for rent in the area and then add a personal fun twist to your free ad. I would also recommend getting a free google voice number matching the area code of where the property is located so that the tenants know you are accessible (assuming you are not local). Once the calls start coming in, I would take notes to gauge how qualified they are from a rental, employment and financial perspective. This is a people business. You are obviously concerned about the well being of your property, but the more time you spend upfront, the fewer calls you get while you are on a cruise with your family. Broadband is expensive on a cruise ship. :) Once you identify a tenant, take good care of them and they usually take good care of your property. Protect yourself from risk by increasing the deposit. Check your local state guidelines to ensure you are in compliance. Most importantly, fail. Fall on your face and learn. It is cheaper than college and you’ll make a hell of a lot more money from it! Best of luck!!
  • Investor · brentwood, CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 730 votes
    8y
    I guess the desirability of property management is in the eye of the beholder. Hiring a good and reasonably priced property manager is the best thing I ever did. Wouldn't wish that job in my worst enemy (well maybe I would on second thought). But seriously, a good property manager does a whole lot more than collect rent and get the toilet fixed (at least mine do). Where I live tenants have so many rights you better really know what you are doing in placing them or you will sooner or later end up dealing with various legal difficulties. One of the most important things that my property managers do (besides getting the toilet fixed before it destroys the entire property), is keeping me out of legal trouble. Can't over estimate that one especially when you rent out properties in California.
  • Rental Property Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2017 · 300 posts · 168 votes
    8y

    @Ralph R. Great insights! How do you go about finding and vetting PMs for a new deal and how do you learn the business of managing properties to be able to oversee their work effectively from afar? 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.