New or Used Appliances?

New or Used Appliances?

Rental Property Investor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2015 · 342 posts · 142 votes
I just closed on a 2 bedroom 1 bathroom single family home which I bought as a rental. It doesn't have a refrigerator or stove. My question: Should I buy a used(habitat for humanity store) or brand new fridge and stove?
1Reply
196 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Juneau, AK · Member since 2015 · 980 posts · 741 votes
8y

I have put in a gently used coil top range in before a couple of time (because they last forever and fairly easy to move and install) but with a refrigerator or washer or dryer or dishwasher, I just get a new one. 

There can be quite a bit of work to get these into units, especially stacked washer dryers that fit in many apartments. And I get new ones delivered free or low cost (and the old one hauled away). 

So if you can keep a good new appliance in there ten years or more you have less wear and tear on the unit (and you!).

Then the hook ups can be some work to do well (and you will want to replace hoses/lines, clean the dryer vent, maybe test shut offs), so the less you have to do this the better.

Plus, in my area appliance repair can easily be 50% the cost of a new appliance so getting a used one that might not have the same life span or require more repairs can be penny wise and pound foolish. 

For example, it may cost $200 bucks to repair that $50 dollar refrigerator off Craigslist. And if you want to haul it off, that costs even more in my area to decommission and then take to the dump. 

When I add in my time and hassle, I often find the new one is the cheapest in the long term. 

Plus, you have added confidence in a new appliance and less risk (of a leaky washer or frig that dies and spoils all the tenant's food). I am frugal but not foolish...

Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

51 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Wayne, NJ · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 18 votes
    8y
    @MichlynDavis I have rental properties in Florida as well and I go to the used appliances stores to buy replacement appliances. Some are basically new with minor cosmetic issues. If you didn't do a full renovation with new cabs, I would go the used route.
  • Investor · Longview, WA · Member since 2015 · 94 posts · 176 votes
    8y
    @Cody Evans it off gasses carbon monoxide when there is buildup in the oven. People think it is a fix-all and they don't need ever need to scrub the oven out. It can also short out electrical components, pop the glass on the front, and trip your breakers. I have gotten multiple repair calls from my tenants and I try to avoid those. Follow the manufacturer directions it should be alright, but do people? Probably not.
  • Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 34 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    I’ll admit I didn’t read all the responses on this topic, but from experience if you get new and not top of the line it will save you many headaches down the road. If the tenants damage them there goes there deposit. Sell the damaged appliances and buy again. Just my 2 cents.
  • Real Estate Investor · Unionville, CT · Member since 2016 · 260 posts · 167 votes
    8y
    I buy used if they’re in good shape.
  • Rental Property Investor · Gulf Breeze, FL · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 733 votes
    8y

    new. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Norcross, GA · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 7 votes
    8y
    Another vote here for Sears Outlet. Also, good stuff at CRS in Dania Beach - Fort Lauderdale area. Owned by a brother and sister team. Great service. They purchase gently used from time shares.
  • Charleston, WV · Member since 2017 · 113 posts · 50 votes
    8y
    Do you have a scratch and dent store? Big box stores have select appliances on clearance. I can usually find a new unit this way for the price of a used
  • Andy WebbPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Carrollton, TX · Member since 2013 · 750 posts · 538 votes
    8y

    We have a couple of decent scratch and dent stores around town that have good deals.  We never put fridges into SFRs here - is that normal in Florida?

  • Rental Property Investor · Papillion, NE · Member since 2017 · 398 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Brandon Hicks I went the route of facebook market place for a nice used oven... looked great, glass top fairly new... Then bugs started crawling out of it and when heated up smelled like urine. My $120 oven turned into a $399 stainless steel oven with free haulaway! I use this example more for humor but definitely do due diligence before purchasing used.
  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Mitchlyn Davis - a lot of the great Facebook marketplace and craigslist deals only work if you’re local. Paying someone to deliver and install can eat up all the savings. I bought a Used washer and dryer (front load kenmore) - $350 each, lasted 2009-2018 (washer), dryer still fine, from a local guy who specialized in appliance resales. Replaced with new front loader from kenmore installed by sears in Jan 18 for $600. Dishwasher with house lasted 2009-2017, replaced with new stainless for $400 installed in nov 17 by Costco. Oven with house fine 2009-now. Fridge bought used fine 2009-now, fridge that came with house (second) is still fine too. Locally I bought a used washer and dryer (top load) set for $160 and paid my neighbor $60 for delivery. So all in for $220. The cheapest washer and dryer new combo is about $600 plus tax. I always put used in my rentals and new (latest style) in my flips. If I’m worried I can always add appliance repair warranties by like Dominion Home services. Used appliances are cheaper and higher quality in white and black because of lower resale demand than stainless.
  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 283 votes
    8y
    Mitchlyn Davis I’ve had great luck buying used appliances from small mom/pop refurbishes that deliver,install, and provide some sort of warranty or assurance. Also have had great luck with appliances from Sears Outlet. Literally zero problems. However, I bought ONE all-in-one washer/dryer from a private owner on Craigslist and it has been a pain from pickup til now - I got sold a lemon. I do not recommend buying appliances private on CL unless you are very handy OR you are buying a very common model, well-known brand that will be inexpensive and easy to repair and find parts for if you do get sold a dud.
  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Woodrich:

    I used to be the craigslist shopper but now I am not.  I would rather replace an appliance once every 7-10 years than replace it two or three times and save a couple hundred bucks.  There is a lot of money available in this world but I can't buy anymore time.  Plus it shows the renters that I am not being cheap.

    @Mitchlyn D. What John said - plus as some others have mentioned...I don't do my own repairs and installs. So I'd still have to pay someone to go pick up and haul away the old stuff. By the time I factor in the fees at the dump, etc. I'd be pretty much at the same cost. I get low end stainless appliances to put in my rentals. 

    Due to most of my rentals being older homes, often regular washer/dryer do not fit into the basement and I have to get the high efficiency models, which are more expensive and harder to find used or at the scratch and dent places. 

    Here's the specific appliance list I usually go with from Home Depot and the prices I ballpark paying for my budgeting purposes.

    Whirlpool-30 in. W 18.2 cu. ft. Top Freezer Refrigerator in Monochromatic Stainless Steel-WRT318FZDM-$547
    Whirlpool-5.1 cu. ft. Gas Range in Stainless Steel-WFG320M0BS-$419
    Whirlpool-1.7 cu. ft. Over the Range Microwave in Stainless Steel-WMH31017FS-$179
    GE-4.0 cu. ft. Electric Compact Dryer in White-DCVH480EKWW-$704
    GE-2.2 DOE cu. ft. Front Load Washer in White-WCVH4800KWW-$704
  • Investor · Ogdensburg, WI · Member since 2016 · 273 posts · 351 votes
    8y

    I do both. If we are updating a unit I replace with new. This also gives me inventory of used appliances when one fails in a non updated unit. For new, I used to buy from sears outlet. There were some good deals but the outlet store was 45 miles away... I was able to get bulk pricing from my local sears. The price is almost the same as the outlet and they are new in the box.

  • Investor · Des Moines, IA · Member since 2015 · 380 posts · 201 votes
    8y
    Find a scratch and dent place near you. That's what I do. New with warranty but maybe a small imperfection.
  • Engineer · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    As others have said it depends on the class of rental and market expectations. But at $795 rent; definitely used. However here are some points being missed. Not all appliances are the same. Resistance burner ovens have an extremely long life and good ones can be had cheaply used. Dishwashers, washers, and dryers are a tougher call, used ones break down faster. With Refrigerators you have to be even more careful, they resale higher and by the time people sell them they often are at end of life with noisy compressors/condensers. I don’t recommend outlets or scratch and dent. Usually the 25% you save is matched by attendant issues besides cosmetic. I would endorse craigslist as your best used appliance option , being particularly picky with refrigerators
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    My brother swears by Sears outlet but he has had 3 appliances in the last couple years which arrived dead on arrival.  Because you are buying a used appliance from them you have to wait for someone to come and fix it, etc.  Don't think you even have the option to return it.

    When looking at the costs, the scratch and dent places aren't that much cheaper (and sometimes more expensive) than just purchasing drop ship or "special buy" through your big box store.  Sure, the outlet store may have a $1800 fridge for $1200 with a couple dings on the side but why not just get a new $1400 comparable fridge with a warranty and free delivery???  You already know the scratch and dent model has been banged around, can't imagine that is good on the components either.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Locally here in CT we have a Sears Scratch and Dent store which is filled with new appliances with a couple dings here or there. They are often a good way to get appliances for cheaper than buying brand new. See if there are any in your area, but make sure to be clear on delivery charges if you need to get them delivered.

  • Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    If you trust the source of the used appliances, then this would be a great way to save some money on your cost of entry.

    HOWEVER, we started out this way, and it cost us more in the long run because CL people can be scammers and sell you junk!  We have found that dishwashers often leak or don't clean well, fridges have bad motors and don't cool for very long before they break (and then you have to reimburse the Tenant for their spoiled food), and washing machines work, but don't spin.  These are all the bad experiences we have had with used appliances from CL and local used shops.

    Not to bash them entirely.  We did get a complete black set from a family who was upgrading to SS.  These were in good shape.  We also bought a brand new SS set from a guy who had just lost his job after making the purchase, and needed the money.  So, IF you want to buy used appliances, do it on a CASE BY CASE basis.

    However, now we only consider used appliances for the stove (because the stove is easily verifyable to be working).  Everything else we buy new.

  • Wholesaler · Fairfield, CA · Member since 2017 · 472 posts · 145 votes
    8y

    @Sam Shueh

    Do these refurbished appliances come with varying warranties? What is a good place to buy these from?

  • Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 17 votes
    8y

    I buy new appliances.

    Reasons

    1) I am not an handyman. So even one problem can wipe out the savings made by buying used.

    2) Helps to retain high quality tenants. High quality tenants expect high quality landlord. If you buy new appliances, they will appreciate you as landlord.

    But how much you should spend on new appliances depends on quality of property, type of area and type of tenant. So if your property is B- with average quality tenants, then I won't buy high end stainless steel appliances. I would get white/blank appliances from mid-quality manufacturer.

  • Mike D'ArrigoPro Member
    Turn key provider · San Jose, CA · Member since 2010 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    @Mitchlyn D. It all depends on your market and class of property. If it's a higher end A class property with high rents then you're probably going to have to go with new appliances. If it's a C class property, you can most likely get by with nice used ones.

  • Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
    8y

    Cody Evans, some appliance repair guys will take their customers broken app. and repair them and then sell them but I wouldn't call them refurbished. I know a few that do that. A lot of times they are 10-15 years old, same as CL. Everyone claims they are only 4-5, but check the model #. And they want $150. I recently bought a new washer from Menards, on sale with their 11% rebate, $246.

  • Investor · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 6 votes
    4y

    Hi, my property management team offered to get a used range for 550 or new for 800. Does the 550 seem unduly expensive or has it gone up this much recently fro the 150-200 cited above?

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    Definitely used appliances for that class of property. New appliances are becoming throw-away items and ridiculously expensive. Buy something that looks good, has all the parts, and functions for 1/3 the cost of new.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    4y

    Just be sure to get any warranty in writing!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.