Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 22 votes
Hello everyone,
I recently heard Kathy Fettke talk about this on her podcast. I’ve yet to purchase my first rental property, though I am taking steps towards accomplishing that goal, and it’s one question I hadn’t even thought of. I’m not a gun person (I’ve never even fired one, let alone own one), but I’ve always considered myself to be supportive of 2nd Amendment. But as I think about being a future landlord, I don’t how I would feel about allowing tenants to pack heat lol. How does the BP community feel about this? Do any of you prohibit guns in your rental units? How do state laws affect what you can or cannot say about guns in your leases?
I recently heard Kathy Fettke talk about this on her podcast. I’ve yet to purchase my first rental property, though I am taking steps towards accomplishing that goal, and it’s one question I hadn’t even thought of. I’m not a gun person (I’ve never even fired one, let alone own one), but I’ve always considered myself to be supportive of 2nd Amendment. But as I think about being a future landlord, I don’t how I would feel about allowing tenants to pack heat lol. How does the BP community feel about this? Do any of you prohibit guns in your rental units? How do state laws affect what you can or cannot say about guns in your leases?
It's not really your business either way. The tenants might also (gasp) have sex outside of wedlock on your property -- also not your business. Who knows, they could even potentially be vegans. Who cares, and why would you care? The vegan could stab you to death with a carrot slicer, or the gun owner could shoot you with a gun, or the [obscene sexual reference here that leads to death], and you're just as dead in any of these three cases. No point in worrying about this, it's a waste of your IQ points and time.
Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 589 posts · 275 votes
8y
Stop worrying about things that are none of your business. This is the same type of mentality behind the people or person who is fighting to change the name of the Boy Scouts or America, an institution that has been around for well over 100 years because her daughter wanted to do the activities and felt that it was sexist to be named Boy Scouts and not include the girls, even though the Girl Scouts have their own name and club to begin with. Screw that lady and that mentality of thinking. .... if something don’t affect you or bother you, keep your nose and your .02 the F outta it. Plain and simple.
Support the 2nd amendment and the NRA
Realtor and Investor · Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
2nd ammendment, people.
BUT, even taking that out of the conversation.....
There is a flip to this thinking from a landlord's perspective.
What happens when you have forbid a renter from having guns, and they are burglarized or assaulted in your property? What kind of liability do you think will blow back on you as the person who took their means for defending themselves away???
I would never want to deny someone their constitutional, human right to defend themselves.
I take it then you would also never want to deny them their 5th Amendment right not to incriminate themselves if they commit a crime on your property.
Well no but it's not a landlords job to play Sherlock Holmes to pick up petty criminals and iv never seen a lease where a landlord swears not to testify as a material witness against their tenants.
Montgomery Village, MD · Member since 2018 · 28 posts · 7 votes
8y
I believe a tenant with a firearm should be the least of your concern. Your concern should be with your tenant screening, and finding an excellent tenant, that will stay for a very long time. It should also be focused on finding more deals, and building your business model. It also seems to me that any discrimination against gun owner’s is a quick way to a law suit.
Investor · Omaha, NE · Member since 2015 · 366 posts · 184 votes
8y
My lease states no firearms allowed on the premises. However, I do allow them. They have to sign an addendum that states they have guns and they are legal and securely stored. Not sure if this helps or not. But it can’t hurt, right?
Investor · Princeton, TX · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
I never really understand where the anger comes from on this.
Here is what I know about this issue. There are landlords in every state in the US that ban all kinds of weapons. I have never heard of any cases filed against a landlord for doing it. There might have been some but I have been told by lawyers it is perfectly legal in the entire country.
So ban them if you want to ban them, and don't if you don't.
It might be a real shocker for some here but there are actually landlords in every state in the US that do drug tests on tenants and evict them for positive tests all the time.
Los Angeles , CA · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 22 votes
8y
I appreciate all the responses. Didn’t realize it would spark this much discussion. Like several of you said, it’s definitely not something that should be on the top of my list of concerns at this point in the process. Even so, it really was educational to see seasoned landlords go back and forth on issues of law, leases, privacy, tenants rights vs landlord rights, etc. This forum truly is an amazing resource for learning about all things real estate related!
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 13 votes
8y
I have a no firearms clause in my lease. It's there the same reason I don't allow certain breeds of dogs, smoking, or charcoal grills on the porch. It has nothing to do with my personal opinions about guns, but strictly to minimize risk. I do understand a tenant can keep a gun in the home without me knowing, but if an incident were to happen involving that tenant and their firearm; I have the language in the lease which allows me to end it early if necessary. This is in addition to very rigid tenant screenings.
I have a no firearms clause in my lease. It's there the same reason I don't allow certain breeds of dogs, smoking, or charcoal grills on the porch. It has nothing to do with my personal opinions about guns, but strictly to minimize risk. I do understand a tenant can keep a gun in the home without me knowing, but if an incident were to happen involving that tenant and their firearm; I have the language in the lease which allows me to end it early if necessary. This is in addition to very rigid tenant screenings.
What kind of guns do you have? Now that you have told your tenants they are not allowed to defend themselves, what are you doing to make sure they are safe?
Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
@Sam R. come on man.... do you feel unsafe without a gun?? I've never carried a gun with me unless I'm hunting and I never feel unsafe. There is no credible study that suggests having a gun makes you safer.
Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2015 · 88 posts · 55 votes
8y
@Jason D. I feel less safe when I am in a "gun free" zone such as a school or movie theater. Its not because I don't have a gun, it is because the place has been advertised as an easy target.
No guns in my household. I live in Chicago, I have been robbed at gunpoint and have friends who are victims of gun violence. From my own personal experience, gun ownership will only provide a very false sense of security. If I had a gun on me while I was robbed, the outcome would be the same if not worse. If my friend who is now paralyzed from a drive by had a gun, he still wouldn't be walking today. The good guy with a gun theory is just an armchair Dirty Harry fantasy people make to justify owning a gun for protection. Guns do not make me feel safe and believe it not, there are other ways to defend yourself.
Back to my initial point, as an investor, I try not intertwine my personal feelings with business. I don't allow firearms on my properties to minimize risk. Guns like certain breeds of dogs present an additional liability which doesn't fit into my business model. The 2nd amendment gives you the right to gun ownership, but gun owners are not a protected class. If this offends some people, well it's not my job to protect your feelings, but it is my job to project my assets and more importantly my tenants. On the subject of keeping my tenants safe, this is something I do take very seriously. My apartments have security systems, are well lit and monitored. One other safety measure I take is NOT ALLOWING FIREARMS on the property.
Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
@Sam R. it sucks that you feel that way. I think of you looked at statistics, you are much safer in schools and theaters than you are at home with a gun. I look at facts and statistics, but I know it can be an emotional subject.
Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
8y
Where do you get your facts and statistics? CNN?? The feeling of being safe is an illusion whether you have a gun or not. Neither makes you safe. Saying having a gun in my house makes me less safe or it will be used against me is the anti gunners BS. Many gun owners defend themselves every day, just because CNN doesn't report it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
Rental Property Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
@Jim S. Im not going to argue with you about it. Statistics come from peer reviewed studies, made by people with tons of data. Facts come from these statistics. It's your choice to believe them or not, but you cant deny that they are there. I own guns, many of them, and am a supporter of the second amendment. But I also am not blind to the statistics.
Sterman, MI · Member since 2017 · 378 posts · 306 votes
8y
Sounds like you're arguing to me. lol. You can get what ever statistics you want, it all depends on how you ask the question. Peer reviews are peer opionions.
Realtor · Troy, OH · Member since 2018 · 27 posts · 10 votes
8y
Hello! I’ve brand new here and I’m also looking forward to buying my first rental property in the future.
While I can’t speak for states laws on the issue, my personal opinion is I wouldn’t want to take away a means for someone to protect themselves.
A good majority of people do own firearms and I’d say even people that are not “Gun People” may just own a single gun for protection inside their home.
If it’s an area of concern maybe consider talking to the possible tenants about their firearms first and what knowledge or training they have with firearms first to see if it makes you more comfortable?
Just my own personal thoughts
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
I would be afraid that I might assume some type of liability if I knew that a tenant had guns. I wouldn't want to know.
I mean in general I wouldn't rent to someone I was afraid of but I'm not really afraid of very many people so...
If a tenant was using guns in a manner that caused him/her to be charged with a crime I serve notice or if a tenant frightened other tenants, I'd probably serve a 30-day notice. The MTM lease is my friend.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y
Local laws in my state allows banning weapons in public establishments, even those privately owned.
I suspect that the laws allow for ownership of guns in their rental units. I think for landlords in lower income communities, banning guns may make sense.
Rental Property Investor · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2012 · 291 posts · 102 votes
8y
I don't think we can in Oklahoma, but I did have a gun junkie renter accidentally shoot himself through his stomach and leg on Thanksgiving last year because his gut set off the trigger. I'm told his large amount of fat saved his life and he was out of work for a couple months. It was a little scary at first, but now all of us have a laugh about it
Germantown, TN · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 5 votes
8y
Pretty simple isn't it? Consult a lawyer in the State (even better yet the municipality) in which your property is located. Then you'll know exactly what you may or may not restrict in regards to firearms. The bottom line is that we should all run our businesses the way we see fit within the constraints of the law. Some people never allow pets, others do very well catering to pet owners. Some don't allow car maintenance in the driveway or on the premises, while others have tenants who won't move for 10 years because they love the extra deep two car garage that allows them to build a hot rod or restore Dad's old Buick.
I'm a gun owner and fierce defender of not only the Second Amendment, but all of them. I may not like your ability to restrict tenants from legally owning guns, but I also don't like the continued erosion of property owners rights in parts of our country (the Costa-Hawkins drama in CA is a good example). It's your property so do what you like (legally). If this issue is really important to you I would certainly suggest that you research the applicable laws in the markets that interest you.
Good luck with your investments, hope to see you post a "success story " or two in the future.
Cheers,
Mark