Christmas gifts for tenants

Christmas gifts for tenants

Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes

Last year I considered gifts, but didn't do it. Yesterday I did, and it was a lot of fun. I took my 18 YO daughter and 4 and 5 YO sons to Costco, then to 14 tenant homes across 3 counties delivering cookies. Honestly, part of it was to help teach the boys how it is "more blessed to give," but I also think of my tenants as clients and truly want to show appreciation.

I texted or called a few minutes before arrival at each home and in most cases someone was home. I intentionally did not go in any homes, but simply left the gift with Christmas blessings. We had a blast, though the whole trip took 6 plus hours. I plan to do it again next year.

Have you done anything for your tenants at the holidays?

7Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Holly, MI · Member since 2009 · 95 posts · 23 votes
15y

All I can say is "Wow" at some of these comments. I send a Christmas card with a small gift certificate from Kroger. I will continue to treat my tenants as a customer that puts money in my pocket. After all I did screen them and allow them to move into my property.

See this reply in the discussion

56 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    15y

    We passed out a bunch of eviction notices. December and January tend to be our worst months for people paying rent. (Had 2 skips and 4 non-payments this month, next month will be worse)

    But I don't think that's what you had in mind.

    It would be nice to have tenants who appreciated things like that, but ours would simply come to expect it, and then complain if they didn't get it one year.

  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 27 votes
    15y

    I remember reading several years ago on a legal forum, about a company that did something similar for several years in a row. During a severe downturn, the company could not afford to do one year, and did not. Someone sued the over it, and the court required the co to ante up, because it had become an expected benefit.
    So, maybe that's not a good thing to do on a regular basis.

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    No good deed goes unpunished you bloodsucking landlord!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
    No good deed goes unpunished you bloodsucking landlord!

    Hey, just trying to live a wonderful life here in Bedford Falls.

  • Residential Landlord · White Lake, MI · Member since 2010 · 12 posts · 6 votes
    15y

    Wow! I had never thought of a tenant "expecting" it and then suing over it. But I guess that is something that could happen. Every year we send our tenants gift cards to Meijer for Christmas and Thanksgiving. They are great tenants, and we wouldn't be making cashflow if it wasn't for them. So for us, we love to do it. Merry Christmas all!

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I send my tenants holiday cards every year. Last year I did bring one tenant a gift basket of snacks. In the 9 years I rented from one landlord, he always sent a card and that was it.

    I take really good care of my rentals and spend what it takes to keep them in good condition. So I feel that's my gift....not as cheap as cookies though! :)

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2008 · 72 posts · 30 votes
    15y

    No more than a nice holiday card, should be sufficient.

    No matter what you give, you will always have some people that feel entitled. It really comes down to what you are comfortable with.

    It's your business and ultimately your decision.

  • Real Estate Investor · North Carolina · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 483 votes
    15y

    I don't do it with my college rentals because they're already spoiled and feel entitled.

    My low-income tenants tend to be 'management intensive' so that rules them out.

    However, for the first time I did send a card with a $20 local restaurant certificate to one of my blue-collar tenants because so far they've been good tenants and good neighbors.

    But I'm sure I'll be punished for that somehow. . . .

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    No, Heck No, and "I will when it snows in Cancun" No.

    If anything, they owe ME a gift, especially the one who has been renting for $500 to $800 under market, per month, for 20 years. How about THAT as a gift?!?!

    Tenants are CLIENTS, not FRIENDS. Gifts are for friends and family, not clients.

    As for teaching your children about giving, we have worked a soup kitchen, we have donated gifts to Angel Tree, we give whenever we can. But we GIVE because there is a need, not because someone rents from us.

    The minute your tenants think of you as a friend, you are opening a can of worms, very dangerous.

  • Investor · Holly, MI · Member since 2009 · 95 posts · 23 votes
    15y

    All I can say is "Wow" at some of these comments. I send a Christmas card with a small gift certificate from Kroger. I will continue to treat my tenants as a customer that puts money in my pocket. After all I did screen them and allow them to move into my property.

  • Developer · Boise, ID · Member since 2009 · 168 posts · 112 votes
    15y

    We did cookies from costco for our tenants this year. I just left them outside their units with a card that said happy holidays. I got a number of calls thanking me for it.

    William is right- you tenants are customers. Take care of your customers and they will take care of you. That said, we did pass out an eviction notice. It goes both ways.

  • Mark UpdegraffBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Rochester, NY · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 691 votes
    15y

    Wow, both ends of the spectrum here for the holiday! In my rental neighborhood there is a very strong local business presence. I can get $50 gift baskets from various walkable merchants for 15$ since I'm a landlord. I have not purchased any yet, but plan to reward the less management dependent / on time payees with this. It comes with: hedonist chocolate, a neighborhood dog dish & nalgene bottle, locally made soap, a free drink from the local pub, a history book on the neighborhood, and a few other trinkets. Out of 10 units, I will give out 2 to 4.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    jon, i admire your generousity..that being said, year round i give my tenants the gift of a safe home in good condition..i also repair problems quickly...and to what marc said, i was out posting 10 day notices mid december, and actually had a tenant say " how you gonna put me out before christmas?"....simple answer there: pay your damn rent, and ya dont gotta wory about it! :roll: ....maybe my opinion will change once i have kids and want to teach them the spirit of giving...we'll see

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    This is an interesting conversation and one that pops up this time every year. It is a good reminder that you can run your business several different ways and still be successful.

  • Investor · Lenexa, KS · Member since 2010 · 215 posts · 121 votes
    15y

    Jon, does this feeling of giving have anything to do with your last name??? :) Coincidence?

    While I can see everyone's point in this thread, I will continue to operate on the belief that we get what we focus on. If you expect to be "taken and abused" then you will not be dissappointed. Not to say that those things don't happen, but really, it's the holidays - lets give our "clients" something nice to say about us for at least a small period of time...then serve them with a notice to pay or quit.

    Happy Holidays!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bryan Alenky:
    jon, i admire your generousity..that being said, year round i give my tenants the gift of a safe home in good condition..i also repair problems quickly...and to what marc said, i was out posting 10 day notices mid december, and actually had a tenant say " how you gonna put me out before christmas?"....simple answer there: pay your damn rent, and ya dont gotta wory about it! :roll: ....maybe my opinion will change once i have kids and want to teach them the spirit of giving...we'll see

    My quit notices go out on the 5th. Even in December. I also strive to provide a clean, safe home. I repair ASAP. All this is in the agreement.

    The gifts are gifts. Not part of the agreement, and not based on conditions, other than they are my tenants. If they were deserved, they would not be gifts. I expect my tenants to be human, and therefore, err. I also expect them to abide by our agreement. I try not to hold grudges or be conditional outside the agreement, kinda like with my kids.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Mat Lewczenko:
    Jon, does this feeling of giving have anything to do with your last name??? :) Coincidence?

    While I can see everyone's point in this thread, I will continue to operate on the belief that we get what we focus on. If you expect to be "taken and abused" then you will not be dissappointed. Not to say that those things don't happen, but really, it's the holidays - lets give our "clients" something nice to say about us for at least a small period of time...then serve them with a notice to pay or quit.

    Happy Holidays!

    A guess there is a bit of Santa in my genes :D

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    On the reverse side, I have been a tenant a few times and I not only never received a gift from my landlord, I never expected it either.

    For those of who are saying that your tenants are you customers, I am a customer to a LOT of business, both large (Wal Mart, BP, Wells Fargo, etc...) and small (barber, car wash, liquor store, etc...) and I do not receive nor do I expect to receive a gift from any of them.

    But for those of you who do give gifts, I respect that and I am glad it works for you.

  • Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    One tenant will be getting a post Christmas gift card to the grocery store in January, provided January rent is on time. It's not a Christmas gift. It's a yearly corporate gift to my best paying client. January is the hardest month on my tenants so a little help counts during that month the most.

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    We sent our tenants a modest gift card to Target for $25. We do so every year and only if they are good, i.e., pay the rent on time and take care of our properties.

    I'm not worried about them "expecting it" after several years. Think about it: What's a good tenant that rents from you for YEARS worth? Definitely more than the $25 every December!

    I sincerely HOPE our good tenants rent from us long enough to come to expect an annual gift card.

  • Full-Time Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    i think it's great that some give gifts..i wonder how the size of the business plays a part in the decision..buying a gift card for 3 rentals is different than for a 60 unit building, or portfolio...no?

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Bryan Alenky:
    ...buying a gift card for 3 rentals is different than for a 60 unit building, or portfolio...no?

    Very good point. The problem I see with giving gifts in a large or small apartment complex is the tenants talk. If you only give gifts to your best tenants, the others will feel left out and resentful. And simply handing out gifts to all, despite their performance, doesn't make sense either.

    I believe the company that got into legal trouble for cutting off Christmas gifts during a tough fiscal year was handing them out indiscriminately and couldn't afford to do so with a high level of vacancies or poorly performing tenants. If they were well occupied with good tenants, they should have been able to afford the gifts unless they were losing money in some other aspect of their business.

  • Real Estate Investor · SouthCentral, IA · Member since 2010 · 97 posts · 45 votes
    15y

    I send a simple christmas card

  • Investor · Hephzibah, GA · Member since 2011 · 44 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    I am so glad to see this subject on the forum! I see that the last entry on this post was last year, but I hope that someone will reply to my post. With the Christmas season coming up, the question of to gift or not to gift has been on my mind. I am a very new landlord (September this year). Upon my tenants move in I left a gift basket of basic household items (garbage bags, dishwashing detergent, can opener, etc and school supplies for the kids). My tenants have paid on time so far. I visited the property on a couple of occasions to attend to maintenance issues that I would not have known about until the property was lived in, and they seem to be taking care of the property. I have not done a walk through yet, I figured I will wait until at least 90 days. Should I give my tenants a gift this Christmas, if so what would an appropriate gift?

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    Obviously this is a personal preference and you can see from the past responses that people have a lot of different takes on it. I believe if anything, just send a holiday card. By sending a card it shows you are thoughtful, but personally I would do no more as it sets certain expectations.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.