Help Evicting a Military Family

Help Evicting a Military Family

Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 37 votes

Hello BP Family, 

Has anyone had to evict a military family? After two months of tenancy, I've decided to evict my tenants, a military family for non payment of rent & unfit living conditions. During a site visit of the premises, I observed hoarding conditions of my newly renovated unit. After giving them a notice to vacate premises, they have repeatedly called/texted me with which I believe are erroneous claims. For example  water leaking from upstairs. I sent someone to assess the condition and they would not allow them inside. I refuse to answer any calls from them or respond to their texts. 

I blame myself for not doing a better job of tenant due diligence & screening.  I have filed papers for summary ejectment. I believe they are professional tenants! Someone suggested that I reached out to the JAG Millitary Headquarters about this situation and possible reimbursement for damages. Has anyone reached out to the Military regarding their difficult tenant, non payment of rent and property damages. 

Thank You 

Bridget

1Reply
248 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
8y

Never had to do it myself but try to get in contact with their CO. Pressure from that end may help them see the light. 

See this reply in the discussion

79 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Broker · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2015 · 351 posts · 273 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Cody L.:
    Originally posted by @Matt Shields:

    Are they active duty? The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act provides special protections to active duty military. The law allows courts to postpone for up to three months and sometimes longer at the judge's discretion, some evictions for nonpayment of rent.

    The law does not prohibit evictions, and the tenant is still responsible for the rent they owe, but the landlord is required to inform the court of the tenant’s active duty status. The judge would then decide if the tenant's military service affects their ability to pay the rent, and whether to stay the eviction or allow it. Landlords who do not follow the law can be hit with fines and/or jail time.

    As always, don't trust the internet, seek professional advice. Good Luck!

    servicememberscivilreliefact.com

    What's sad about "protections" for military (or any group) is they tend to backfire.  The harder you make it to evict someone due to X, the more likely someone is going to not rent to X.  Sure you can say "Well we'll make using X illegal as a rental criteria", but guess what, apartments are rented by humans and its easy enough to get the tenants you want.

    The law should treat people by their most tiny minority status:  The individual.  No minority group is smaller.  So treat everyone *THE SAME*.  If they pay and keep up their unit? Good.  If they don't, bad.  Who cares about anything else.

    We rented to a lady (man? Who knows) who identifies as a lizard.  Not kidding. She has horns and a split tongue and everything .  But wtf do I care.  She pays her rent so she's cool w/ me. 

     Like many government programs, it starts with good intentions, to protect servicemembers called to active duty which could cause them financial hardship. Unfortunately, the government didn't consider that the financial hardship would be transferred to small landlords. As usual, the government reacts and doesn't think through the unintended results.

  • Contractor · Spokane Wa · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 30 votes
    8y
    @Bridget Smith-Osbourne Contact the COMMANDING OFFICER of the base. This is a huge issue and can be taken care of quickly. They don’t like when their members do not hold up thier end of the contract. They take this very seriously.
  • Rental Property Investor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2018 · 196 posts · 130 votes
    8y

    As others have said, process the eviction through your attorney and ensure your attorney is aware they are military. If it comes down to them owing you money and it is taken to court, the judge can order an allotment come out of their paycheck to pay you back. 

    Military Personnel are just people, and they should be held to their contract just as everyone else. I understand some want to be more linent and nice to service members, but what is nicer:

    1 Letting the service member stack up 6 months of late rent before pulling the plug and then having them  be so far in the hole that their check is garnished, and then their like at work becomes problematic. 

    2. Be swift to fix their deficiency through proper legal action and either they get current and clean up their act, or they don't and they be come their Command/Installation's problem before it gets too far out of hand.

  • Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    As a military spouse, myself I would certainly encourage you to find out more information about their Unit and get in contact with their CO. This is a matter they would take very seriously and enforce them to comply. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Silverdale, WA · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    @Aaron Hunt I buy the majority of my properties near military bases. Being former military myself, I know how the system works. I have never had an issue with any of my rentals while renting to active duty in the past 10 years. I am not sure how many of these types of stories you have heard/read recently but please don’t let this put you off to renting to military.
  • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
    8y
    @John Clark Sorry not for the Air Force we did away with the Buck Sgt E-4 in the last century (1990s) E-4 is SrA for us.
  • Investor · FL · Member since 2016 · 332 posts · 388 votes
    8y
    @Matt Greer FYI... Staff Duty is not in every branch. Trust me I am in a joint unit now and over half the org had a cow when we did away with it. Of course we just told them they are fine to make their branch cover it, but since you do not have ADCON over us we are not covering it. It ended as it is not practical in all orgs.
  • Real Estate Agent · Tacoma, WA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 11 votes
    8y

    Go to their commander and complain before eviction. I have never had an issue with military before, if they ever were boarderline, ie be a few days late on pay or have noise complaints, just tell them to knock it off, behave themself or you will report their behavior to their commander.

  • Investor · Clatskanie, OR · Member since 2014 · 212 posts · 233 votes
    8y

    I am going to take some hits by saying this. First, I am a veteran. Active Army.  National guard. Police Officer, and 22,000 disability claims completed while working for the Veterans Affairs for long time. as a realistate investor, I am a frequent flyer at Home Depot. I can find things better than the managers in that store. Sometimes I am a daily shopper for months on end while fixing up a stinky. I love the 10% discount for flashing my disabled veteran card. but what bothers me is the part where each cashier is told to say, "thank you for your service".  

    This bothers me because like the majority of service members I just joined the military to get out of my parents house. have some fun. Chicks dig uniforms! and travel. sign, done. gone. Hired.

    I spent 8 weeks listening to some sociopath yelling orders, ran for miles and did push ups. to my knowledge only 2 or 3 people failed the whole ordeal. 

    I am not trying put down the military! I am only saying the US political system puts veterans on the  in pedestal because in this country we have a voluntary military and if being a veteran is no longer prestigious who will join? 

    We used to joke around at the VA, want to retire at 20? join the military, trip over the first beer can you see, piss yourself, call me. I will get you 3,200/month tax free. you will never have to work again.

    I retired thousands of young men who had access to google. 

    Veterans are just like anyone else, they just have an amazing strong political lobby. Do what every you can to defend your property and do not fear political pressure!

    as they tought us, "shoot, move, communicate"     (the order is important)

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 74 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @John Clark:

    "Also, in the future look to rent to NCOs (E-5 and up) or officers. This weeds out 99% of problem children, because they have matured by that point and wouldn't pull this."

    Actually, NCOs are E-4 (corporal) and up, but I agree, limit one's renting to NCOs or even staff NCOs (E-6) and higher and the problem will disappear.

     Depends on branch, USAF NCOs are E-5/E-6. But, to your point, usually by the time E-5 rolls around they've already proven themselves to not be complete dirtbags.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 74 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @George J Anderson Jr:
    @Bridget Smith-Osbourne Contact the COMMANDING OFFICER of the base. This is a huge issue and can be taken care of quickly. They don’t like when their members do not hold up thier end of the contract. They take this very seriously.

     Of the base? Good lord lol. Chain of command.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 142 posts · 74 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Kevin Steward:
    @Adam Odom thats right a active duty persons check can be garnished ! Also keep in mind when they're married and have children they get a BEQ allowance which can more than triple there regular pay

     BEQ allowance? What is that? Do you mean BAH? If so, being married and/or having children does no where near triple your pay. It was like a 10% increase to account for the extra space you might need when buying/renting a house.

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    "Contact the COMMANDING OFFICER of the base."

    Yeah I am going to go with overkill on that one. The higher you start your complaint the better odds are that the issue is going to get all confused and the result you actually want is not going to happen. That is like saying "Call Jeff Bezos because you had a mistake in your order from Amazon". It will get bounced around and forgotten about for days or weeks because they all have much bigger things to deal with. Getting a hold of their next level NCO will most likely solve the issue much faster and give you access to someone who has a vested interest in that individual soldier.

    For anyone saying "This branch will do something but this branch won't" has no idea what they are talking about. The core values don't change. Making sure their service member is not hurting the reputation of their unit crosses all branches and units. Counseling sessions are used just for this purpose, to keep the service member on track.

  • Myerstown, PA · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    My suggestion is, contact his "supervisor"/ sergeant. When I was in the army a few years ago and a private didn't pay his landlord, the sergeant took care of making sure it got paid and it did not happen again. They are directly responsible for the soldiers and making sure they fulfill the agreements made, especially for housing. 

  • Kevin StewardPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 9 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    @Cory O'Dell when I served in the Marines 87- 91. There was a guy in my unit that would loan shark money to use ! He was married with a kid which lived at home with his parents! I don't particularly remember how much I used to make when I got paid every two weeks because that was a lifetime ago all's I know is he met three times as much as we did. Things to change in the military acronyms change .
  • All Over, USA · Member since 2017 · 689 posts · 756 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Coverdell:

    I am going to take some hits by saying this. First, I am a veteran. Active Army.  National guard. Police Officer, and 22,000 disability claims completed while working for the Veterans Affairs for long time. as a realistate investor, I am a frequent flyer at Home Depot. I can find things better than the managers in that store. Sometimes I am a daily shopper for months on end while fixing up a stinky. I love the 10% discount for flashing my disabled veteran card. but what bothers me is the part where each cashier is told to say, "thank you for your service".  

    This bothers me because like the majority of service members I just joined the military to get out of my parents house. have some fun. Chicks dig uniforms! and travel. sign, done. gone. Hired.

    I spent 8 weeks listening to some sociopath yelling orders, ran for miles and did push ups. to my knowledge only 2 or 3 people failed the whole ordeal. 

    I am not trying put down the military! I am only saying the US political system puts veterans on the  in pedestal because in this country we have a voluntary military and if being a veteran is no longer prestigious who will join? 

    We used to joke around at the VA, want to retire at 20? join the military, trip over the first beer can you see, piss yourself, call me. I will get you 3,200/month tax free. you will never have to work again.

    I retired thousands of young men who had access to google. 

    Veterans are just like anyone else, they just have an amazing strong political lobby. Do what every you can to defend your property and do not fear political pressure!

    as they tought us, "shoot, move, communicate"     (the order is important)

    Yeah, I think the volunteer aspect has a lot to do with it.

    I’ve realized over the years that a lot of government (and I worked for the government) and military jobs are there...for the sake of employment and nothing more. Imagine if we didn’t piss away so much on defense and the beauracracy. 

    How would all these people survive? Middle America would probably crumble as these states tend to be the biggest supplier of servicemembers, and it’s often generational.

    Homelessness would skyrocket if we truly “drained the swamp” and eliminated the jobs that really don’t need to exist.

    My crazy high taxes likely help pay for some servicemembers to retire on a yearly basis, but on that money you can’t comfortably live in a HCOL. It’s all a trade-off.

    That being said, I don’t think I’ll ever be renting to anyone in the military or a lawyer. Just too much hassle.

  • Brookfield, WI · Member since 2016 · 191 posts · 108 votes
    8y

    Reaching out to the base Ombudsman would be a good start.  There is clearly something going on in this Service Member's life that is having significant impact on him.  Which IS of concern to the Military / Chain of Command.  Whether or not it helps you out as the landlord (indirectly, it probably will), it will get someone aware/involved in this individuals problems and likely will help them out more than you will ever know in the long run.  Financial issues are possibly the single biggest issue the Military as a whole has to deal with that affects readiness.  And yes, sometimes (more than there should be) there are pay issues, the #1 reason people leave the military.  However, in this case, it sounds like this individual's life might be starting to spiral, and you are caught in the path.  Reaching out in a way that might get them the support they need, may also help you out as well.

  • Lender · Wildwood Crest, NJ · Member since 2017 · 317 posts · 56 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Peter M.:

    Never had to do it myself but try to get in contact with their CO. Pressure from that end may help them see the light. 

     Yes thats the best way. Their CO will make them pay.

  • Military Officer · Pensacola area, FL · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 14 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Shawn Coverdell:

    I am going to take some hits by saying this. First, I am a veteran. Active Army.  National guard. Police Officer, and 22,000 disability claims completed while working for the Veterans Affairs for long time. as a realistate investor, I am a frequent flyer at Home Depot. I can find things better than the managers in that store. Sometimes I am a daily shopper for months on end while fixing up a stinky. I love the 10% discount for flashing my disabled veteran card. but what bothers me is the part where each cashier is told to say, "thank you for your service".  

    This bothers me because like the majority of service members I just joined the military to get out of my parents house. have some fun. Chicks dig uniforms! and travel. sign, done. gone. Hired.

    I spent 8 weeks listening to some sociopath yelling orders, ran for miles and did push ups. to my knowledge only 2 or 3 people failed the whole ordeal. 

    I am not trying put down the military! I am only saying the US political system puts veterans on the  in pedestal because in this country we have a voluntary military and if being a veteran is no longer prestigious who will join? 

    We used to joke around at the VA, want to retire at 20? join the military, trip over the first beer can you see, piss yourself, call me. I will get you 3,200/month tax free. you will never have to work again.

    I retired thousands of young men who had access to google. 

    Veterans are just like anyone else, they just have an amazing strong political lobby. Do what every you can to defend your property and do not fear political pressure!

    as they tought us, "shoot, move, communicate"     (the order is important)

     Damn @Account Closed.  Didn’t know you had it so easy in the Army brother!

  • Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 3 votes
    8y
    @Bridget Smith-Osbourne Have you offered them cash for keys? I believe it was in Podcast #283 or Podcast #288 that they talk about how sometimes it’s best to just offer cash for keys in order to get the tenants to leave the premises on a peaceful basis. Good luck with your situation, hope everything works out!
  • Olive Branch, MS · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    @Bridget Smith-Osbourne Hi Bridget, I recently retired from the Air Force and will tell you the only way to get some traction on this will be to figure out who this member’s leadership (supervisor or commander) or First Sergeant is. Unfortunately, the military JAG does not get involved in civil matters especially involving $$, this includes child support , rents , etc. What we do have are rules regarding our finances being in order (summary version) and we can be punished to the extent of being discharged for not maintaining good finances or loss of our security clearance. So while that may not dIrectly get you your money, the swIft kIck in the rear from their leadership might. Otherwise, you will pursue a normal eviction process for your state, being military does not excuse their negligence.
  • Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    @Carmen Futrell.... Thanks for the feedback. I've been in contact with tenant's 1SG and she reported issue to SSG. I am in the process of getting in contact with tenant commander. 

  • Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    @John Clark......my tenant grade is E5 This is what is stated on his Defense Finance & Accting Service Millitary Leave and Earning Statement

  • Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    @Rafael Rosario.... no I have not. I am so disgusted with their behavior I can not find in in my heart to    give them money to leave. I definitely want them out as I am more so concerned about the condition of my newly renovated unit.

  • Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2014 · 115 posts · 37 votes
    8y

    I would like to thank everyone for their feedback, you've all been a tremendous help. I feel I am beginning to get some traction since reaching out to his job. One thing I can say.......  is that tenant & his wife have stopped inundating me with crazy text messages and phone calls since reaching out to his job. Hopefully it will remain this way. 

    His SSG wants to work something out with me to help family remain in their home but frankly I am not interested in them as a tenant base.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.