Going Rates for Pet fees

Going Rates for Pet fees

Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes

We have not allowed pets in the past, mostly because we have not had any problems finding tenants without pets (but a lot of pet owners asked anyway). We are about to have 3 units in duplexes available for December 1, which is a cold time of the year around here, and not as many prospects for tenants. So, if we allowed small pets (we have a current request from somebody with a Chihuahua), what would be the going rate for extra pet rent? How do you word it in your lease? Extra security deposit as well? For security deposit, I'd prefer to just raise that requirement rather than specify it's a pet damage deposit. 

*Of note: the new duplex I am buying that will be available for December has 100% new flooring, to include a lot of carpeting. 

0Reply
75 views

Most Popular Reply

Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
7y

Studies vary but somewhere around 50 - 60% of renters own a pet. If you immediately refuse pets, you lose out on a large portion of the rental market.

Most pet owners are good people, just like you, and they will take care of their responsibilities. I allow pets whenever possible and good tenants are good pet owners. I rarely have a problem. It can be hard for a pet owner to find a good rental that will accept their pet so they are usually willing to pay more and then stay longer.

Make sure you use the right language. A "fee" is not refunded. A "deposit" is refundable.

You can research your market to see what it supports but generally a non-refundable fee up front and then a slight increase to rent every month.

The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    I charge a $300 pet fee (not a deposit) for up to two approved pets.

  • Property Manager · Twin Falls, ID · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 11 votes
    7y

    We ran into the same problem. We started firm on no pets but had such a small pool that we ended up budging on it. We gave the option to pay a $200 non refundable fee or $25 monthly fee (for a six month lease).I just wrote up a pet addendum stating it was a non refundable fee.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @John Underwood

    $300 pet fee upon move in, plus an extra charge per month? 

    Even though my ad's clearly say "NO PETS", we get more calls from people with pets than without. I'm starting to wonder just how "desperate" pet owners are. Now, I would NEVER take advantage of people, but, I wonder how much they would pay to have me solve their problem of finding housing. Would $100 a month for a pet change my entire policy? $150? I also thought lease could state "professional carpet cleaning upon move out is required, or the landlord will have professional carpet cleaning performed and charged back to tenant". 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    7y

    I don't charge extra per month. Just the one time pet fee. I've never had any pet damage so far, just human damage.

  • Specialist · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2018 · 557 posts · 191 votes
    7y

    I would do a $300 non-refundable pet fee, plus $20/month pet rent! Even if it is a smaller dog, it can still pee and stain the carpets and cause a decent amount of damage. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Durham, NC · Member since 2016 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    7y
    @Anthony Wick. It’s whatever the market will suport. I do 200-300 non refundable pet fee per pet.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 206 posts · 138 votes
    7y
    @Anthony Wick $25 per month with a $200 non refundable
  • Investor · Naples, FL · Member since 2017 · 69 posts · 34 votes
    7y
    @Anthony Wick we charge a 500 non-refundable pet fee. We limit to two small-med sized dogs and no other pets. It's worked great for us and nobody even blinks an eye at the fee.
  • Investor · Newburgh, IN · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 5 votes
    7y
    @Anthony Wick I charge $125 non refundable pet fee and $25 per month. I also limit the pet to under 20 lbs. I have no carpet only tile and laminate tile flooring. I currently have a tenant paying $15 per month for a parrot. She just renewed the lease for another year. Good Luck.
  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    7y

    The pet fee is nothing more than a deterant to dissuade applicants with pets from applying. If you allow pets what you must do is more frequent inspections. When you find any pet damage, chewed molding, stains on carpets etc. you immediately bring in contractors to remedy the damage and bill the repairs directly to the tenant. There is no need for "fees" other than to increase your income. They definatly will not cover damage if there is any.

    Pet fees are a joke and completely unnecessary if you stay on top of your business. If you wait till a tenant moves out to address pet damage your pet fee will likely be useless.

    Stay on top of your business and you won't have to increase your income disguised as unnecessary fees for a "just in case" situation.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Thanks all. Thomas S. brings up a good point about staying on top of your business. Always a good idea. I currently inspect every 6 months. While not all that frequent, I also screen tenants very thoroughly and deny more than I accept. Sounds like pet fees are fairly similar across the country. No fees to far apart from each other. If the applicant with the chihuahua meets all my other criteria I will accept her, for a non-refundable fee. Of course, that's dependent upon other applicants, if any. 

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    7y

    @Anthony Wick pet owners are not desperate, they are just common. Half the population or more has pets. You are better off advertising to allow small pets, than accepting someone who disregarded your advertisement. All the "rule following" people read your no pets policy in the advertisement and didn't call because they had a pet. The people who called anyways don't care what your policy says, because they are special. See my point? Which would you rather rent to?

    We allow up to two small, non shedding dogs with $50 per dog pet rent. We also charge a non-refundable pet fee of $300 per dog. On top of that, any damage comes out of the standard deposit which is one months rent.

    As far as professional carpet cleaning - ALL my properties require professional carpet cleaning. I require tenants to give me the receipt as proof of cleaning. Are you saying that you don't have your carpets professionally cleaned between tenants? Do you have any idea how gross that is - haha. It is even not legal in some states.

    Charging tenants for pets isn't taking advantage. As long as your fees and policy are clearly communicated up front, it is their choice. It is better to offer an option versus just saying no. My small dog costs me around $100 per month, for grooming, food, vet care, treats, etc. Put it in perspective and you can see why people will pay $50 pet rent.

  • Rental Property Investor · Ankeny, IA · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Joe Splitrock

    Excellent points. And, my choice of saying "desperate" was poorly worded. I guess what I meant was, I know it is much more difficult to find a rental if you have a  pet, which is why I figured I get calls asking anyway. I figure people are giving it a try. The prospective tenant this time that called and asked saw my sign in the yard, so she didn't know I generally don't allow pets. We have thought long and hard about should we or shouldn't we allow small pets. In the end, I've always said no because we have not had trouble renting out units. But, besides this unit, I also have two units available after I close on a duplex on December 3. So, middle of the month, in winter, I may need to expand my tenant pool. 

    Now, for professional carpet cleaning. My lease states I "may" charge for professional carpet cleaning or damage beyond normal wear and tear. I see I need to change my wording to what you have. I am constantly tweaking my lease, which currently stands at 10 pages. 

  • Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 62 votes
    7y

    We charge $250 non refundable pet deposit (we allow dogs only).  No dangerous breeds deemed by the county and we also have to meet the dog during interview process.

  • South Portland, ME · Member since 2018 · 9 posts · 1 vote
    7y
    @Thomas S. Wouldn’t a pet fee just be a great way to generate extra revenue I find no issue with my pet owners But get an extra 50$ a month per pet I doubt this scares anyone off considering how few places accept dogs
  • Clive, IA · Member since 2013 · 141 posts · 89 votes
    7y
    We charge a pet deposit.... who doesnt want to make sure they get their pet deposit back. Then we charge $25 per pet. I never write no pets etc on ads, when it gets brought up I tell people its depends on the house and management but please feel free to put their animal breed etc on the application. We actually like to meet the person 1st.... usually it's not the animal that is the problem it's the human.
  • Jerry W.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Thermopolis, WY · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I charge a pet fee per month now.  There was a time I did not.  I have had pet damage.  I have learned a lot since then.  You can get $2K in damage pretty dam quick in damage expecially from cats.  I replaced all of the carpet, the pad, then put 3 coats of KILZ on the floor and eventually painted the walls to get the cat smell out.  Every bit of carpet was torn out, even in the basement.  I should have been better at inspecting.  I have had smaller damage multiple times, usually it was carpet or doors from the dog scratching on them.  One dog chewed off pieces of wood.  Now I meet the animal in person.  I watch how the animal obeys the person.  If they don't mind around them it is a no go.  Folks who care enough to train their animals and work with them, also train them to not damage your house.  The animal ignores them in person, they will trash your house.  I charge $20 per pet per month.  I figure I will have to reploace carpet or blinds etc a little sooner than normal with most animals.  The yard can also bear the brunt from animals.  Lawns do not hold up well to dogs running around the fence.  I have also had dogs chew the bark off of trees.

  • Rental Property Investor · The Vampire State · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    I charge a $200 one time fee per pet (no vicious breeds); no additional monthly pet rent.

    I find it a competitive advantage and every applicant has willingly agreed without push back.   Many pet owner applicants (esp. those with large breed dogs) lament that they cannot find a place that accepts their pets.  My strategy is that they will stay awhile given those market conditions.

    Whatever you plan to do, just make sure you evaluate your competition first so you can be congruent in your market.

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    We always got a Non refundable $375/pet & $25/month. But due to the Therapy Pet 'issues' our attorney has us changing our rental agreements. 

    We had to enter an apt that had cats. The place was spotless & my wife 'herded'  the resident cats so I could come & go to finish the repairs with my maintenance guy. After the repairs we completed my wife spent a good 30 mins looking for the 3rd cat she was convinced escaped. 

    So after another 30 minutes my maintenance guy & I finally had to tell her there was only 2 cats. He had feed them for a week while the tenants were on vacation. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    7y

    Studies vary but somewhere around 50 - 60% of renters own a pet. If you immediately refuse pets, you lose out on a large portion of the rental market.

    Most pet owners are good people, just like you, and they will take care of their responsibilities. I allow pets whenever possible and good tenants are good pet owners. I rarely have a problem. It can be hard for a pet owner to find a good rental that will accept their pet so they are usually willing to pay more and then stay longer.

    Make sure you use the right language. A "fee" is not refunded. A "deposit" is refundable.

    You can research your market to see what it supports but generally a non-refundable fee up front and then a slight increase to rent every month.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Real Estate Agent · Willoughby, OH · Member since 2014 · 560 posts · 690 votes
    7y

    $200 fee and $25 per month per pet. I purchased a duplex that had good carpet and is now occupied by one small dog and a cat (didn't want the cat but accepted after 3 mos of vacancy). If carpet gets ruined by the pets, then this amount will help pay for me to install plank flooring which is much more pet resistant.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 354 posts · 167 votes
    7y
    @Anthony Wick - we charge a $25 fee per month per pet with a size limitation of 25 lbs. Also have an addition of $100 security deposit per pet. We have all of this documented in a pet lease addendum to the lease.
  • Rental Property Investor · KY · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    I charge $250 so I can have the carpet professionally cleaned after they leave. I do not charge pet rent at all and I would never even consider it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Central, FL · Member since 2016 · 950 posts · 821 votes
    7y

    I had done 100 per pet non refundable pet fee.  And probably going forward will do a monthly fee on top of it.  I don’t accept anything but dogs.  And honestly would just rather not, but given the options I’d rather charge the fees, I only have tile in all rooms So carpet isn’t an issue. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Salem, OR · Member since 2017 · 696 posts · 660 votes
    7y

    You want to check by state.  I ALWAYS do pet rent, depends on the property for how much, usually $25-30 per animal and people pay it like you would not believe...we already collect a deposit of at least 1 months rent so we are good there.  Put down vinyl plank in the whole unit at carpet replacement time and do inspections at least every 6 months.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.