Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Tenant Applicants say the dumbest things

Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 37 posts · 326 votes

Stupid things Tenant Applicant’s say.

I had renovated a nice 4/3/2 and put it on the market for lease. Here are some of the comments from people who toured the property during the open house or called me from signage.

#1
Young single mother with 3yr old in tow. “My boyfriend will be paying the rent, he said to just go find a place, but I want to rent it in my name, so it will be mine alone.”
I’m thinking: I’m not renting to someone without the verified income to pay the rent. Sorry but a promise from a boyfriend just won’t do.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25 but you should know that I will need to verify income and whoever is paying will need to be on the application and lease.

#2
Middle aged couple with no kids. Wife says “I don’t like the wood floors. If you can put down carpet and repaint to something brighter, we’d be interested. Also you will need to replace the stove.”
I’m thinking: The wood floors are new laminate that I just spent $1400 and two days installing. The paint is all new also. If you want to remodel a house, go buy one yourself.
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. The property is being rented in its newly remodeled condition.

#3
Family. Made appointment and met me at house. Husband says “I need a 3 car garage.”
I’m thinking: The 2 in 4/3/2 stands for TWO car garage. Plus the photos show it’s a two car garage, so why are you here wasting my time and yours? Did you think I was hiding a third garage bay in the back yard?
I’m saying: Here’s a rental application. The application fee is $25. This house only has a two car garage.

#4
Very young guy, young 20’s maybe, called me from sign in yard. He’s parked at house. Says: “ I need a big place for my girlfriend and our 3 month old since we want to have more kids. Could you help me out and rent it to me for $xxx” (about ½ the rental rate).
I’m thinking: So you’re requesting that I contribute half your rent so you can have more kids that you can’t house and support.
I’m saying: I’m happy to provide an application. The application fee is $25. Sorry the rental rate is firm.
.

294Reply
26,749 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y

Last year I was renting a high end high rise condo - rent $1800 per month. A guy asked if I could give him the first 6 months free and waive the security deposit, after he found a job he would make double payments the second 6 months.

Had a tenant a few years back that signed a 12 month lease. always paid her rent on time. The lease of course becomes a month to month if she stays on. I asked her if she desired to renew the lease at expiration, or would she be moving. She said that since she fullfilled her lease obligation by paying 12 months rent she would stay on. She honestly believed that once she paid 12 months rent the apartment was hers for free for as long as she wanted!

But the best one was the tenant that always had an excuse for late rent. One month he told me he had sent the check in on the 2nd, of course I had not received it by the 5th. When I did receive it it was dated the 6th. Called the tenant and told him if he was going to lie at least pre date the check.
The next month I send the tenant an invoice for the rent, late fee, plus $250. The tenant calls and asks what the additional $250 is for. I told him it was a "lying fee". A couple days later I received the rent, late fee, and an additional $500. Called the tenant to ask why he sent an additional $500. He said he knew he would lie to me again in the future so he was prepaying an additional lying fee! BTW, although he is no longer a tenant and hasn't been for some time, he is now a friend. The entertainment value of this guy far outweighted the aggravation.

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

1572 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    Tenant applicant today:

    Daughter emails me saying she needs me to explain why the email I gave her parents doesn't work (for submission of application) and how she knows I'm a scammer and is filing a police report if she doesn't hear back (I collected application fees on site). I'm like, ummmmm...your 70 year old parents probably didn't read or type it right. I went over the email with them to make sure they could read it....

    I told her to send me a picture of the email I wrote down for them on the receipt I VOLUNTARILY gave them as they were about to walk away not realizing they get a receipt. 

    This genius sends me a picture of an empty application. So I screenshot and highlight the message where I said RECEIPT and not empty application....

    An hour later this idiot emails me back saying she is so sorry, her dad (5 adult losers living together) told her to do all that to verify the email.


    So I told this idiot that her story makes no sense, emailing me (via craigslist relay) to threaten me isn't a way to verify an email. Had you just emailed me you would have seen a response. Instead you wasted hours of my time with this idiocy and all you got was the same email I gave you before...which you ended up emailing me at directly anyways, so how was your lie and threat a way to verify the email? It's the same GD email....

    She still applied.

     Ah, yes, reminds me of helicopter parents and student applicants.  I stopped accepting co-signers so I could say, "I'm sorry, I only communicate with persons named on the lease."  You could do the same with applications.  

    You can also legally discriminate against people who don't understand how to email.  "People who don't know how to email" aren't a protected class.

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Jack B.:

    Tenant applicant today:

    Daughter emails me saying she needs me to explain why the email I gave her parents doesn't work (for submission of application) and how she knows I'm a scammer and is filing a police report if she doesn't hear back (I collected application fees on site). I'm like, ummmmm...your 70 year old parents probably didn't read or type it right. I went over the email with them to make sure they could read it....

    I told her to send me a picture of the email I wrote down for them on the receipt I VOLUNTARILY gave them as they were about to walk away not realizing they get a receipt. 

    This genius sends me a picture of an empty application. So I screenshot and highlight the message where I said RECEIPT and not empty application....

    An hour later this idiot emails me back saying she is so sorry, her dad (5 adult losers living together) told her to do all that to verify the email.


    So I told this idiot that her story makes no sense, emailing me (via craigslist relay) to threaten me isn't a way to verify an email. Had you just emailed me you would have seen a response. Instead you wasted hours of my time with this idiocy and all you got was the same email I gave you before...which you ended up emailing me at directly anyways, so how was your lie and threat a way to verify the email? It's the same GD email....

    She still applied.

     Ah, yes, reminds me of helicopter parents and student applicants.  I stopped accepting co-signers so I could say, "I'm sorry, I only communicate with persons named on the lease."  You could do the same with applications.  

    You can also legally discriminate against people who don't understand how to email.  "People who don't know how to email" aren't a protected class.

    Ha! Yaaasss!! Unfortunately this special adult child is applying with her boyfriend and her parents for this place and so is their adult son. I'm tempted to mark the reason for denial as "stupidity and drama" but alas, I will use something else.

    I especially like it when people who have to live together as 5 adults to be able to afford a place to live want to argue with me, the guy who owns multiple houses and is an accredited investor capable of paying off all his houses despite not being born in the US and coming from extreme poverty. I'm like, really.....What really amazes me is all of these people have extremely poor reading comprehension, basic math and critical thinking skills. Is it any wonder why they are low income....

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Saw this on Facebook today:

    "Looking for a friend.

    A friend of mine is needing a 3 br house for about  400 in or around *****. He has an eviction on his record from like 3 years ago but have lived at their current address for over 2 years. He has a dog and 3 cats. TIA"

    Too bad all of mine are full or I'd just jump all over that! *eye roll*

  • San Jose, CA · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Sylvia B.:

    Saw this on Facebook today:

    "Looking for a friend.

    A friend of mine is needing a 3 br house for about  400 in or around *****. He has an eviction on his record from like 3 years ago but have lived at their current address for over 2 years. He has a dog and 3 cats. TIA"

    Too bad all of mine are full or I'd just jump all over that! *eye roll*

     LOL.  Yeah, I think one of my criteria would be that I deny anyone who can't post their own posts on Craigslist when they need an apartment.  So, they're a complete disaster - and - they can't do their own apartment shopping.  Run away! (insert Monty Python attack rabbit).

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Donald Kish:

    @Dawn A.

    I'm gonna need you to knock down and reconstruct a few walls so I can have a master suite and walk in closet

     I had that once. The guy was a two time felon to boot, drug dealing, etc. He wanted me to make all kinds of changes, at my expense. Amazing these idiots are breeding.

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    @Aly W.   As soon as he said he was a law student you should have "used discretion" in even replying back to his initial inquiry :-)

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y

    Had two young ladies in skimpy tops look at my unit yesterday.  

    They indicated they had an emotional support animal.   We indicated we use PetScreening.com to determine status of any emotional support animals because they know the places that blindly provide ESA certificates.  The tenant asked if it matters where you got your certificate?  I indicated only if the only criteria for the certificate was you paid for it, then it matters.  Strike 1. 

    Near the end of checking out the unit, they asked if their application fee was refunded if they were not selected.  I indicated that the fee goes toward credit and criminal checks and only gets refunded if we do not process their application.  One of them then asked about our minimum credit score.  Strike two.

    I told them if in doubt do not apply.  They took offense.  Strike 3. 

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y

    Another tenant yesterday indicated our unit was too small for his needs. Fine. 

    I told him of another set of units that are 200’ bigger.  He indicated those were too expensive (I mostly agree, my unit is a better value).  I then told him of a unit that was not as nice as our unit but slightly bigger (probably less than 100’ bigger).  He indicated that unit was not as nice and did not have the yard my unit has (this one was price competitive with our unit).

    So he wants a larger unit than ours, in as good shape as ours, with a yard as nice as ours, for the price of our unit.  

    I wished him good luck in finding the unit he was looking for.   

  • Rental Property Investor · Douglas County, MO · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I had a winner today.

    I have a small 2 br house available with several applicants to choose from. Yesterday we were discussing which of the 2 best we would choose when I got a text asking about the house. 

    I answered her questions and made an appointment to show it at 1:30 today. At 12:45 I got a text, "We're here."

    We were still at lunch, so it was a bit annoying, but we were almost done, so they waited for 15-20 minutes. 

    She was there with an infant, little sister, mom, and dad, but boyfriend, who makes the money and apparently calls the shots, was not. I gave her an application and letter explaining our requirements, and everyone looked. She couldn't fill out the application right then because she didn't have boyfriend's info, so we told her to take it with her, fill it out, and text or email us a picture of both sides. 

    So this evening I get another text: "My boyfriend says we'll take it, but he won't have the money for 2 weeks, if you don't mind waiting."

    No completed application, no money, but they want the house. Mmm hmmm.

    I told her we had decided to rent to another applicant.

    About an hour later I got, "We'll be sure never to rent from ya'll."

    You're darn tootin' you won't!

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Once I had a person ask for their money from the application fees back...except he lied to me 3 times during the tour when I asked him about criminal and credit history AND on the application he lied on both counts. When I ran him he turned out to have been kicked out of the military, evicted from military housing, a felon for child related sex crimes (sent a girl a dirty pic, she was underage), the list goes on.

    He initially tried to claim it was a different person...with the same first, middle and last name, date of birth and SSN I asked him? He then changed his story to it was reduced to a misdemeanor...except he had just printed 2 lines on his home computer saying that. Literally it was just a simple 2 sentences, not even remotely close to official looking, and I pointed that out and the fact that if that was the case the government records would reflect that.

    He ended up threatening me. Mind you, I'm a grown man, I'm, let's just say, far from defenseless and used to protect some of the wealthiest executives on the planet for a living. He and his friends were super skinny little losers. I reminded him that he signed the application noting that the application fee was non refundable and that he not only lied on the application but 3 times during the tour when I asked him about credit and criminal history so it was his own fault and trying to go up against me would not work out the way he thinks it will.

    I then contacted the Cops, because his application noted an address that was his parents address as his current address. Except when I looked up his sex offender registry, he was listed as homeless. The detectives called me back within an hour and asked for the application, they were super interested and told me they had suspected he was really living with his parents. I presume he was arrested. I never heard from the loser or the police about anything again.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I have a 2/2 condo for rent in Melbourne, FL. The listing (on craigslist, Zillow, Zumper, Realtor.com, etc.) specifically says at the top to read all the requirements. The requirements are at the top and the bottom of the listing, and includes "no criminal background".

    In addition to those who email asking how much is the rent, how many bedrooms, and where is the condo (all in the listing) - today I had this exchange:

    Applicant: I have a misdemeanor for stealing a shopping cart. I don't steal shopping carts. Would that disqualify me? Also, do you take Section 8?

    Me: Um, I'd have to ask the Association about the misdemeanor. How much is your voucher for?

    Applicant: A one bedroom, but I'll need a 2 bedroom once I go to court to get back custody of my kids. 

    Me: Your voucher states the amount of rent, and if it says one bedroom, you'll need to get a voucher for 2 bedrooms. 

    Applicant: Ok I'll ask, and I know you mentioned it, but how much is the application fee and how much money do I need to move in?

    Me, (thinking about my future book about tenant applicants as the reason for continuing this discussion): It's all in the listing, but here is the info again....

    Applicant: No, I mean what about the misdemeanor? 

    Me: You just asked about the money. I'll get back to you about the misdemeanor.

    And then there were the applicants calling from Canada, saying they can't get back to FL right now, but they'd like to move in on October 1st, but that's for another post :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Aly W.:

    I have a 2/2 condo for rent in Melbourne, FL. The listing (on craigslist, Zillow, Zumper, Realtor.com, etc.) specifically says at the top to read all the requirements. The requirements are at the top and the bottom of the listing, and includes "no criminal background".

    In addition to those who email asking how much is the rent, how many bedrooms, and where is the condo (all in the listing) - today I had this exchange:

    Applicant: I have a misdemeanor for stealing a shopping cart. I don't steal shopping carts. Would that disqualify me? Also, do you take Section 8?

    Me: Um, I'd have to ask the Association about the misdemeanor. How much is your voucher for?

    Applicant: A one bedroom, but I'll need a 2 bedroom once I go to court to get back custody of my kids. 

    Me: Your voucher states the amount of rent, and if it says one bedroom, you'll need to get a voucher for 2 bedrooms. 

    Applicant: Ok I'll ask, and I know you mentioned it, but how much is the application fee and how much money do I need to move in?

    Me, (thinking about my future book about tenant applicants as the reason for continuing this discussion): It's all in the listing, but here is the info again....

    Applicant: No, I mean what about the misdemeanor? 

    Me: You just asked about the money. I'll get back to you about the misdemeanor.

    And then there were the applicants calling from Canada, saying they can't get back to FL right now, but they'd like to move in on October 1st, but that's for another post :)

    I do the EXACT same thing, top and bottom of listing has the requirements/dis-qualifiers. I also send it out in email when people contact me, as 99% of these winners need EXTRA hand holding. You'd be amazed how much this screens people out. I still get the "do you accept section 8" winners, almost all of them are emailing me from an iPhone based on the signature in their email. A couple people inevitably still show up despite me saying "I'm not section 8 approved" and try to convince me and their 8 pitbulls they are great tenants...

  • Rental Property Investor · Upstate, NY · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    Wife was showing a 1 bedroom & the guy needed to rent it immediately. Then he mentions that his common law wife is pregnant but she also has 2 children she sees on alternate weekends. My wife comments that it would get a little crowded with 4 in a one bedroom. Then he explains that he also has 2 children he has alternate weekend visitations with. Then as he is leaving he commiserates that his pregnant significant other is going through a lot of emotions & her hormones are creating unbearable moods that are getting really tough to live with.

    He didn't send in his application, so we think he just needed someone to talk to.

  • Member since 2018 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Robin Grimes

    Robin, these are great! Unfortunately or fortunately - I have a PM that deals with all this nonsense, so I don’t get the great stories to tell at parties. Keep ‘me coming.

  • Knoxville, TN · Member since 2019 · 111 posts · 57 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Eddie Mart:
    Robin, these are great! Unfortunately or fortunately - I have a PM that deals with all this nonsense, so I don’t get the great stories to tell at parties. Keep ‘me coming.

    You are definitely going to the wrong type of parties.

    Everyone be on the lookout, tho - there should be a flood of applicants in the next few months, trying to find new places just before evictions are allowed in each state. They'll no doubt fake the contact for their last address (try to find the phone number independently and check addresses against credit reports), so you won't know they haven't paid for six months and are escaping before any eviction or civil judgement can be argued.

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    Always check the addresses on the applications against the public tax records to make sure the "landlord" really is the one. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    36 year own ANTIFA winner living with mommy wants to rent my lake house because she is ready to move out...she wants to rent it with her indoor emotional support pig...lol

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y

    I have a studio apartment on a lake house that is in my basement. A married couple with kids want to rent it from me and have family over to enjoy the lake all the time...I'm like, I am renting a unit for YOU and I to enjoy the lake, not have it turn into a damn public park....

  • Mike CumbieBusiness Member
    REALTOR® · Brockport, NY · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    @Jack B.

    The amount of Federal Fair Housing regulations you are getting wrapped up in (your last 2 posts) is unfathomable to me personally. I do not live in the Seattle area, but I can only guess they have even stricter local regulations there. 

    So either you are 'Entrapping" people with the most outlandish wording.... or you are just trying to "Troll" members. Either way they are violations. Please refrain from following up on this line.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Mike Cumbie:

    @Jack B.

    The amount of Federal Fair Housing regulations you are getting wrapped up in (your last 2 posts) is unfathomable to me personally. I do not live in the Seattle area, but I can only guess they have even stricter local regulations there. 

    So either you are 'Entrapping" people with the most outlandish wording.... or you are just trying to "Troll" members. Either way they are violations. Please refrain from following up on this line.  

     

    I don't think you actually understand fair housing laws. I can tell tenants who live in my basement whether they can have large gatherings on my lake....it's not the same thing as discriminating against families living here...your troll comment is outlandish, insulting and baseless. I would expect more of a "moderator"...As a licensed Realtor here I understand the laws considerably better than your presumptuous and insulting persona. 

    Moreover you tell me to refrain from following up "on this line" as if you can make insults and force people not to respond. WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE???? I'll gladly take this up with the actual owner of this site, your post is WAY out of line. Literally insulting me with baseless assumptions then telling me not to respond back...

  • Realtor · Oakland, CA and a Real Estate Investor with Multi-Family Units and a Self Storage Facility · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    6y

    The latest "winner" technically is still a tenant but I had to post this. 

    He puts in a maintenance request to my PM. My PM emails me, I look at the items in the maintenance request and then I tell my PM to have their contractor handle things and get me an estimate. 

    Nothing for 3 weeks.

    Tenant puts in another maintenance request..........same thing happens. This time I also have MY contractor get in touch with him as well.......tenant tells the contractor, I never put in a maintenance request.

    2 weeks later, same thing again. Only this time the tenant is not responding back via text or phone or email about when someone can come to the proiperty to fix the crack in the ceiling and the sound of water he hears coming from the roof that he can also hear in the walls when it rains and he really hears it more intense;y when it storms. I of course am imagining something crazy with the roof, a leak....etc.

    My PM tells me they will put a 24 hour notice to enter on his door because apparently if this ever comes up in court (Did I mention he is in the process of being evicted for non-payment of rent?), apparently not being able to get in touch with the tenant is not always a valid excuse as to why you couldn't do or complete repairs, especially if they directly impact the habitability of a house.

    My contractor shows up yesterday....and this "winner" initially didn't answer the door. After 15 minutes he answers the door and says he was in the middle of this video game and had to "keep going" that's why he didn't answer the door at first.

    Here's what my contractor tells me when he calls me. The "crack" in the ceiling is literally paint that is mismatched.

    You read that correctly.

    He also sends me a picture.

    He then tells me that after looking thoroughly for almost an hour and asking the tenant several questions  it is determined that there is no leak ....the roof is less than 3 years old.....and that the sound he hears from the roof is literally the rain, hitting the roof. The watery sound in the walls is literally the rain hitting the side of the house. 

    You read that correctly also. 

    The timimg has been amazing with this tenant on these "maintenance requests" since they started literally the day after we started the eviction process and I am quite sure that after he gets evicted,....he will end up being the subject of someone's "Tenant Applicants Say The Dumbest Things" Post.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    6y

    Originally posted by @Brian Garlington:

    The latest "winner" technically is still a tenant but I had to post this. 

    ...

    There is this other thread that covers existing tenants, where you should post that story:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/83267-current-tenants-say-the-dumbest-things-too

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2020 · 106 posts · 89 votes
    6y

    “I don’t like the way the concierge looks at me.”

    “The air is too cold, and the heat is too hot.”

    “The washing machine is too loud.”

  • Investor · Middletown, NJ · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    My husband and I have a 2/2 for rent in Florida. As always, I 'm very specific in the listing requirements, the first or second line actually says "Please read ALL rental requirements", and the security deposit is clearly described.

    Today's applicant through Facebook Marketplace:

    Applicant - We make more than 4 times the rent, do we still need to pay a security deposit?

    Me: Of course. If you make 4 times the rent, why would that be a problem?

    Applicant: The income isn't a problem, but we'd rather not to pay a security deposit because we're having a baby.

    Me: It's not a choice. 

    No response.

    Also me, to my husband - why are people like this breeding??

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    5y

    Here are a few stories from a recent vacancy we had.  This is a 3 bd/2ba unit for $1200/month.  Newly renovated and in great condition.  C/C+ neighborhood.

    1) Sends me a message on FB.  Tells me she is currently paying $900 for the 3 bed home she is staying in and mentions the address, I assume to show she is in the same neighborhood.  She tells me she really likes the look of the place from the pictures, but thinks the rent is too high and asks if I would consider taking $1,000 instead!  Are you kidding me?  I reply back that I do a good bit of research before setting a rental price and the market rate is around $1,250 for a 3-bed home of that size, so I feel $1200/month is already a fair price.  I also mention that the ad is less than 2 days old and I've already had a lot of interest and applications turned in, so I cannot justify lowering the price at this time. 

    But the icing on the cake?  She STILL wants to set up a showing.  We do more an open-house style showing anyway, so I told her when the next one was.  But made note of her name because I doubt I would have wanted to rent to her.  I don't necessarily mind someone trying to do a little haggling, especially if they have some kind of substantiation for it.  But that was a big drop and totally unwarranted.

    2) A Section 8 potential tenant said she was interested, but only if we would get a stainless steel fridge to match the oven.  ((Sputtering coffee as my husband tells me this over the phone)), "NO, we aren't doing that."

    3) Potential tenants asks if we are planning to repave the driveway because it is ugly and has a lot of cracks.  Fair enough, it's an old driveway.  But there is nothing functionally wrong with it nor does it feel rough to drive on.  That was another hard no, while I'm trying not to sound shocked or accidentally add an "are you crazy?!?!" utterance.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.