How are you guys collecting rents?

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent ยท Member since 2019 ยท 8 posts ยท 16 votes
5y

@Marvin Bobb We currently use Rentler (the free version) I think there is a paid version not sure. But we've been using it for over a year for 4 units.

See this reply in the discussion

100 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor ยท Austin, TX ยท Member since 2016 ยท 317 posts ยท 257 votes
    5y

    @Marvin Bobb Venmo. I set up an account separate from my personal account and even used my company logo. I also use it as a way to remind my tenants to change their air filters every month to keep their electric bill low ๐Ÿ˜‰ by commenting on their transfer.

  • Investor ยท Des Moines, IA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 23 posts ยท 8 votes
    5y

    Cozy has worked great for me so far.

    @Marvin Bobb

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Butler, PA ยท Member since 2019 ยท 38 posts ยท 15 votes
    5y

    I have tested out some other websites, but I really like cozy and my tenant has no problems with it after getting it set up.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Rutland, VT ยท Member since 2017 ยท 61 posts ยท 16 votes
    5y

    @Marvin Bobb ACH, direct deposit and Venmo. Not one payment missed through all this 10 doors

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Havre de Grace, MD ยท Member since 2018 ยท 15 posts ยท 11 votes
    5y

    @Garrett Blanchard who do you use for the ach payments? What is the fee?

  • Investor ยท Southwest MN ยท Member since 2018 ยท 15 posts ยท 4 votes
    5y

    Personal check put in a drop box in our multifamily properties. Gives me a reason to stop by at least once a month. I am interested in offering other options, such as a digital payment method. Just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

  • Investor ยท Carmel, NY ยท Member since 2016 ยท 1 post ยท 0 votes
    5y

    @Marvin Bobb

    Zelle

  • Member since 2020 ยท 1 post ยท 1 vote
    5y

    I use Venmo. It gets to my account the next day and itโ€™s free. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber ยท New York, NY ยท Member since 2020 ยท 15 posts ยท 17 votes
    5y

    @Raul R.lol

  • Lender ยท Las Vegas, NV ยท Member since 2015 ยท 30 posts ยท 12 votes
    5y

    Zelle because it's lazy and free.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Rutland, VT ยท Member since 2017 ยท 61 posts ยท 16 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Alison Evans:

    @Garrett Blanchard who do you use for the ach payments? What is the fee?


    The tenant set it up directly with their bank. The tenant made up a โ€œpasswordโ€ for me to tell the bank when they called me and then I gave them my banking info. I never take cash or personal checks. Always want to make sure there is proof on both sides.

  • Member since 2020 ยท 45 posts ยท 10 votes
    5y

    @Marvin Bobb

    There is a demand when tenting in Toronto Canada and the GTA that many deals now have the renters volunteer to do post dated cheques.

    Even though you cannot legally ask.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Tampa, FL ยท Member since 2019 ยท 128 posts ยท 166 votes
    5y

    @Marvin Bobb I auto-generate an invoice in Quickbooks Online that gets sent to the tenant via email on the 20th. They can click and pay right from there. When the payment comes in, Quickbooks automatically logs it to the correct property using the โ€œClassesโ€ feature. Iโ€™ve used Cozy and Cash.app too and like them both but QBO is my favorite.

  • Ladera Ranch, CA ยท Member since 2017 ยท 4 posts ยท 1 vote
    5y

    @Marvin Bobb

    Cozy for most of my renters. A few direct deposit to a checking account I set up for them.

  • Ladera Ranch, CA ยท Member since 2017 ยท 4 posts ยท 1 vote
    5y

    @Phillip Black

    Cozy automatically calculates and adds late fees

  • Rental Property Investor ยท San Antonio, TX ยท Member since 2017 ยท 6 posts ยท 7 votes
    5y

    We use direct deposit, ACH.

  • Investor ยท Southeast, MI ยท Member since 2016 ยท 425 posts ยท 184 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Greg Moore:

    @Marvin Bobb I auto-generate an invoice in Quickbooks Online that gets sent to the tenant via email on the 20th. They can click and pay right from there. When the payment comes in, Quickbooks automatically logs it to the correct property using the โ€œClassesโ€ feature. Iโ€™ve used Cozy and Cash.app too and like them both but QBO is my favorite.

     Yep, works like a charm.  It doesn't require Tenants to sign up for anything for payments either.  

  • Shea SpinelliPro Member
    Rental Property Investor ยท Tyler, TX ยท Member since 2016 ยท 198 posts ยท 89 votes
    5y

    @Peter T. Iโ€™ve started having the same experience with Cozy. I also noticed they are a part of apartments.com. They may start charging. If thatโ€™s the case, another PM software may be more advantageous. I hear good things about Appfolio.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท The USA ยท Member since 2020 ยท 7 posts ยท 1 vote
    5y

    @Marvin Bobb so far our tenants pay on Venmo.

  • Lender ยท Clermont, FL ยท Member since 2020 ยท 168 posts ยท 87 votes
    5y

    @Marvin Bobb

    I use Cozy.co

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Vineland, NJ ยท Member since 2019 ยท 9 posts ยท 3 votes
    5y

    @Clay Rempe

    Clay could you explain how you are collecting late fees. As far as I know on the Cozy app you can select a day when you want to start charging late fees and an amount you would like to charge.

    For example if my late fees are $5 a day starting on the 2nd day after rent is due then Cozy will automatically charge $5 to the tenant on the 2nd day. If the tenant does not pay rent until the 12th of that month Cozy does not automatically calculate the late fees that would be due. I would have to go into the Cozy app and add in the addition late fees due once the tenant made payment. Please let me know what system you have set up through Cozy to collect accruing late fees.

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Vineland, NJ ยท Member since 2019 ยท 9 posts ยท 3 votes
    5y

    @Dakota Wilde

    Which PM software do you currently use

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Clarkston, GA ยท Member since 2012 ยท 2k+ posts ยท 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Leonard L. I also use erentpayments.com the biggest reason it's great over other systems is a has great reports. You can use all you want but there is no reports for how much each tenant paid. Cosy isn't even very good on reports. When you have enough doors and you have late payments or partial payments you will appreciate easy reporting per house per portfolio per month aggregated over a year.

    Erent also has the most flexible late fee payment options cosy doesn't come close..

    I split fee with the tenants never pushed back and I pay much much more for the convenience of the rent even over free especially over systems like zelin cash where there's no reports in the clawback those funds.

    Folks don't realise that zelin cash and eBay PayPal those funds can be clawed backup to 2 months later.

    All ach based systems have sane claw back risk.

    Lol did you know that even a money order can be canceled and not be good funds?

  • Real Estate Investor ยท Houston, TX ยท Member since 2010 ยท 499 posts ยท 206 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Leslie A.:

    @Marvin Bobb. I opened a bank account very close to the units and had them deposit it there. If they requested, I sometimes picked it up if I was going to be in the area.

    Just to add to this.  I would fill out 6 deposit slips and give it to them at lease signing.  It made it very easy for them and accurate for me.  

  • Rental Property Investor ยท Pittsburgh, PA ยท Member since 2013 ยท 178 posts ยท 57 votes
    5y

    @Marvin Bobb we use Appfolio. The tenants get a portal where they can check their ledger, pay rent, and submit maintenance tickets.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.