What Did You Leave the BiggerPockets Summit With? Your Highlights?

What Did You Leave the BiggerPockets Summit With? Your Highlights?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

After 3 days of nonstop networking and 2 days of nonstop learning, I'm exhausted. That said, my adrenaline is flowing like crazy! The BiggerPockets Summit was absolutely incredible and unfortunately, we didn't have the time in my closing session to have everyone come up to share their stories.

I thought I'd start this thread to let people share what took away from the conference. What were the highlights for you? What did you learn?

Lets hear about what made this a great event for you.

Thanks again to everyone who came, our sponsors, speakers and the volunteers -- you were all amazing!

0Reply
128 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Kennesaw, GA · Member since 2010 · 158 posts · 61 votes
14y

Josh, Thank you for doing an incredible job. It was nice meeting you.

As so many people have stated, the quality of speakers at this event was incredible. I could listen to these exact presentations 10 more times and pick up something new every time (which is why I'm looking forward to getting the audio!).

These speakers were among the absolute best and brightest in the RE field, but yet so many of them took the time to "come down to my level" and hang out away from the conference rooms, after hours, at lunch, whatever the case may be to answer questions. It was awesome hanging out, chatting and networking with multi-millionaires who are cool, down to earth, genuinely good people who are helping others. These are the people we should be plastering on TV to tell their stories, not the celebretards/celebresluts everybody idolizes and obsesses over right now.
Pick your favorite professional sport. Now imagine the absolute top athletes getting together and sharing with you all of their tips, strategies and info that got them to where they are. And going to dinner with you. And telling you to email/call them if you have any questions. AND MEANING IT.

I had the pleasure of hanging out (mostly just listening and absorbing) with Rich Weese, Aaron Mazzrillo, Tahani Aburaneh, Will Barnard, Peter Giardini, J Scott, Marty Boardman and Ryan Webber. Thank you all for sharing your stories and knowledge. It will be invaluable as I grow my RE career.

I met some amazing attendees also. Steven from Oklahoma City and Ed O: Your passion was incredible. You guys have lit a fire under me. When we meet again, I fully expect myself to be where you are now. And I fully expect you guys to still be that much further ahead of me. Thank you.
McKellar, Rusty, Jeff Sielicky, Tod, Ember, Matty: I had an awesome time hanging out with you all. I look forward to seeing you all again soon.
Greg B: You're a great person doing great thing for kids, which is something I can personally relate to. Thanks for all you do. It was a pleasure meeting you. Try not to start any altercations next time, OK? :-)

Sorry for such a long post, but I'll end it with this. Special thanks to @Michael Quarles who played a huge part in making it possible for me to attend. Your generosity will not be forgotten. I have no doubt I'm going to go forth and succeed in building a successful real estate career. And when I do, I will pay your kindness forward in spades.

See this reply in the discussion

39 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Farmington, UT · Member since 2011 · 314 posts · 179 votes
    14y

    Motivation to be better in my business. It is always good to step back and look at your business and see where you can improve. This weekend gave me a great opportunity to do that as i listened to speakers and networked with others. I also made some good friends.

  • Rehabber · West Hartford, CT · Member since 2012 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    For me other than a wealth of great information, the best part of the weekend was renergizing myself. I feel even more passionate about Real Estate and can't wait to keep moving forward. Geraldine has a great outlook and I look forward to implementing some of her tips into my daily routine. Learning more about asset protection from Clint was also very helpful. You can never know too much in that respect.

  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Haven't left. Not leaving! Decided to just stay till the one next year!

    A round of applause to Josh for pulling it all together.

    As an attendee, I'm leaving with a sense of comraderie with all the other attendees and the comprehension of how on the ball they are and thirsting for GREAT info.

    As a presenter, I'm leaving with the memories of how warm and receptive the attendees were and motivated to learn. The thing most impressive to me was how the presenters were immersed in the sessions, just as the attendees. Very few were not right there, just as involved as the rookies. I'd never seen this at other seminars.

    All in all, a great production and wifey and I feel lucky to have benn here. Those that missed it couldn't have filled the weekend with ANYTHING more rewarding. Hopefully, there will be other opportunities like this in the future.

    The most positive review I can make, is that my wifey actually loved the weekend! She has attended many of these with me and this one was first one she ever loved. Thanks to all of you for making here feel that way. Rich

  • Real Estate Professional · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2010 · 608 posts · 163 votes
    14y

    I left with the desire to refocus on my business. My goal is to go from 2 to 4 rehabs a year to 4 to 6 a year. I try so many things to acquire properties and think I finally get it. I Need to focus on one or two aspects of acquisition and stay on that path. And, I need to perfect the path I decide to focus on. The common denominator I found concerning acquisition is that the successful people use one or two primary methods such as direct mail, MLS, referrals etc. Thanks again Josh, presenters and the attendees I met at the Summit.

  • Real Estate Investor · Fillmore, CA · Member since 2012 · 2 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    Toni and I got our already high level of enthusiasm "kicked up a notch" at this magnificent summit! Incredible presenters, incredible sponsors and incredible attendees! We met so many wonderful people and will ramp our business up this year as a direct result of the contacts we made! Thank you SO MUCH Joshua for a great conference! We can't wait to sign up for the next one!! How about Semi-annual conferences!!!!

  • Centennial, CO · Member since 2009 · 758 posts · 251 votes
    14y

    Great summit for networking and for actual content without high pressure sales pitches. That is Josh's and BP's hallmark and what so differentiates Bigger Pockets as the premiere REI site out there. I have attended many similair conferences - hats off to Josh and all of the presenters for delivering useful content. I have not been as active on BP in recent months, but the summit was a good reminder of the value of the expertise of its members. Great job Josh.

  • Lutherville, MD · Member since 2010 · 1 post · 0 votes
    14y

    Thoroughly enjoyed the entire summit. Each session attended provided me new and enlightening perspectives. The summit really got me to look at my business as the forest, rather than all the trees in it. Jeff Brown, Tony, Rich, and Pete were great!

    I wanted this to expand my horizons, and it did. I only wish I could have caught every session. I think there was so much I may have missed.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    Last night a group of us went to dinner then hung out til 1am. The most fun I can remember having.

    There is something amazing when there are people together that are all hard workers and the strength you can sense from this group.

    The presenters were so high quality. I was amazed at the intensity and dedication they all had for their particular nitches in the RE world.

    Looking at some of the analysis shows this is a great time to buy RE. While more volitility is possible the graphs show a high level of affordability combined with a lack of enthusiasm to buy. As interest rates increase buyers should come alive and try to get in before rates rise further. This piling on should increase values.

    Cheers to everyone responsible for the success of this most enjoyable weekend.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Des Moines, IA · Member since 2011 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    I was fortunate enough to have lunch on Thursday with a group of 12 BPer’s at Johnny Rockets. I’m sitting across from Rich Weese and J Scott talking business and best of all building relationships with people I highly admire and respect on the BP site. It was a great start and the networking continued through the weekend. The information was solid, speakers were spot on, and the people I met and the relationships developed were great!

    Thanks to Josh and his team for putting on a top notch event. Count me in for REI Summit II!!

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
    14y

    I went to this with an open mind and low expectations... I wasn't sure what to expect and just wanted to soak it all in and then think about it afterward. I wasn't expecting a revelation or to meet that one person who would turn me into an instant millionaire... I just wanted to experience the event.

    While I still have much pondering to do, much reflection. So while my feelings aren't fully defined on the event... to me, the most important things I took from it immediately were simply being surrounded by hundreds of like minded individuals. Feeling that energy for real estate investing, that passion and excitement about this.
    Beyond that, it was learning two things... one was that I have something to offer people. While I'm new, I have taken the first steps and there are many still looking to do that who look to people like myself for inspiration and advice. Second, even the people I respect an admire, the doers, the movers, the shakers, the been there done thaters... you know what? They are still learning, they still have questions, they still have fears. Even after years, hundreds of deals, millions of dollars, they still have questions and concerns.

    If you want to know everything before you take the 1st step... if you use fear of the unknown as an excuse not to move. Following the Summit, I know exactly one thing... you will NEVER take that step because you will NEVER know everything. Act conservative, act cautiously... but the number 1 thing is to act.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    Nathan,

    Fear is my number one motivator. Without it I would be poor. With it I can succeed.

    Most look at fear as something which keeps them from trying, my fear keeps me from quiting. I have no room for the idea of failure only the understanding of its pain.

    My glass is neither half full or halh empty as I've learned not to put boundaries on what i want. All I owe myself are actions better today then yesterday.

  • Real Estate Agent · Hackettstown, NJ · Member since 2011 · 206 posts · 62 votes
    14y

    I am still coming down from the "Rocky Mountain" high and excitement this event has left me in! I have been to other non-real estate conferences/summits, but the comoradre and shared knowledge was just unbelievable. To not be pitched anything felt great too.

    There were so many great presenters there and that was only half of them, that I could see! (can't wait to hear the other half!) Being a beginning investor, I know I am that much closer to starting off on the correct foot! I want to thank Joshua Dorkin for putting this together, I feel blessed to be able to go to the inaugural event! I know I can get my business off to a great start, but all this would not be possible if not for the incredible genorisity of Michael Quarles, who ran a contest here on BP and allowed several of us to attend. Without people like him & Josh, and plenty of other BP's your generosity and knowledge have rocked my world! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    Just to name a few of the things I took home:
    1. This event will likely change the inaccurate perception of RE investors and will be the first of many steps to irradiate the crooked gurus from our industry (Ok, that is fairly optimistic, but at least a great start!)
    2. I now can place a face and full personality with so many of the members of whom I have talked with over the phone and on the BP forum.
    3. I think I have a deal from the Summit, soon to be inked!
    4. As a presenter, I was in awe of the attendees and their inspiration, eagerness to learn, and support of the speakers.
    5. Making new friends, networking with others, and establishing new future business relationships will likely pay dividends higher than the calculator can figure.

  • Real Estate Investor · Victorville, CA · Member since 2012 · 1 post · 1 vote
    14y

    An amazing opportunity and such a wonderful surprise!
    My experience:
    2 days FULL of valuble information from extraordinary, experienced, successful speakers who were also very personable and participated in networking.
    An exceptional caliber of attendees that made networking really exciting.
    The policy of "no upselling" allowed me to really relax and enjoy the information provided without being defensive and trying to anticipate alterior motives.
    My "take aways":
    1. As a single woman with a fulltime job, I can be as successful at investing as I choose to be - I only need to remain positive, stay focused, work on my business daily and continue to network and learn!! Progress, however slow, is progress. Tahani was inspriational.
    2. My J.O.B. is not my enemy - I can be a successful investor even though I have a demanding fulltime job. Michael Zuber humbled me and raised the bar...
    3. Although I am a "newbie" - I do have excellent skills and knowledge to bring to the table - I need to gain confidence and take FOCUSED action. Every speaker provided great options for methods to grow by business.

    Josh - thank you for creating this marvelous site for networking and education and then taking it to the next level by organizing the Summit while holding true to your vision. I liked the idea in one of the responses above about doing this bi-annually!!

    Thanks again!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    14y

    The "anti-guru" conference lived up to its billing. I was thoroughly impressed with the quality of the speakers, attendees, and most importantly, Josh's attention to detail. You would have thought this was the 10th annual BP Conference, not the first.

    As I was mentioning to a few folks over lunch today, I think the biggest distinction for me between every other conference, networking event, etc that I've ever been to and this one is that the relationships you build here are genuine. How often have we all gone to an investors club or chamber of commerce meeting only to be shoved the cards 20 realtors who have no clue what we are interested in? I can honestly say I can't wait to follow up with everyone I met, and am excited about several opportunities to work together and create symbiotic relationships with people I never would have met if it weren't for Josh. I can literally off the top of my head name 4 concrete deals that could potentially happen simply because I attended this conference. That is beyond cool.

    Joshua Dorkin... we all owe you a beer in Vegas.

  • Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    You mean it is over already?!?!?! Well, I'm still here and quite a few of us hung out in the lobby bar all day today. Then we went to dinner and had a great seminar after the seminar! The event is still going on for us. Guess you all should have stayed longer. You're missing out!

    Hope to see you all in VEGAS next year! Hint, hint.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    14y

    This is my attempt at keeping this short…because I could go on forever (as some of you learned)

    #1 – Meeting the posters I have come to respect was fantastic and none of them were letdowns (which is saying something). In addition, I have come to respect some people whose posts I had not paid much attention to. It is really difficult to express what you mean over the internet sometimes, but meeting in person was very helpful in seeing other points of view.

    #2 – I had a blast. There is no other way to put it other than there are some really fun people to be around…I could throw out some new inside jokes but Josh might ban me from the site.

    #3 – There were some great sessions and some fantastic
    speakers. I learned a lot about some things I am already doing, some things I had already planned to start doing and some things I had never even thought about. Hearing from people who have been successful with different investing strategies and with so many years of experience was just incredible…so thanks to all the speakers. I look forward to getting the audio of the sessions I had to miss (due to other sessions or the UK basketball game…what’s a guy to do?)

    #4 – I had a lot of expectations about the conference but meeting someone from my area was not one of them, so that was a nice surprise.

    See you next year!

  • Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2012 · 184 posts · 76 votes
    14y

    I really enjoyed the summit. We got our money's worth, that's for sure! I liked that it was good for both beginners and more experienced investors.

    My husband, who up until now has paid almost no attention to my real estate dealings (so beginner), got an overview of what I've been doing, terminology, the many different approaches to build wealth, an overview of market fundamentals and where real estate is right now. He always supported me before, but now he's really excited about what we can do together going forward!

    I learned lots of good nuggets about how to improve going forward, that there is no one right way to do things (and lots of wrong ways- ha), and best of all, more places to dig for answers! I could also see that even very experienced investors got a lot out of it.

    I also enjoyed meeting the varied people, talking shop, and that the speakers were mixing it up with the rest of us. I loved Josh's earnestness and sincerity. The summit lived up to it's billing as no guru cheese-ball selling and junk. Authentic. Keep it that way.

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2012 · 41 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    I can't really list what I brought away from this conference. The energy from the presenters, how their personalities shown through, that was amazing.

    I loved the networking, getting to know some people that I'll be talking with on here till the next summit!

    Being around so many people who are interested, and also actively in the business was huge, hearing about their success, their failures.

    Next year I'll be staying long into the night! And I hope the next one is longer! That would be the only change, even though I don't know if my brain can take it.

    I think this is the only conference I've ever attended where I left thinking "It's..... over???"

    Thanks again for putting this up!

    ~John

  • Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    Fantastic 1st Summit Josh! I just wish the speakers had more time to cover their topic IMO. Bruce Norris was my favorite with the focus on 'TIMING' and Cycles in RE. I see this Summit only getting bigger and better for years to come Josh. Thanks for having me. Happy Investing!

  • Anson YoungBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Denver, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 726 votes
    14y

    I got so much out of this event. The rounds of applause for Josh were much deserved for putting on an amazing event. Looking forward to next year!!! (whats this about vegas???)

    Meeting amazing people, putting faces to names, picking up something out of EVERY class and already have some potential partnerships lined up with a few I met out of the blue!!

    Thanks again Josh, and great meeting everyone there!!

  • Real Estate Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2011 · 117 posts · 28 votes
    14y

    I learned a lot from this event as well and I was really surprised to see how helpful everyone was. The speakers were amazing and I really loved how much they are willing to share with the rest of the community.
    Thanks Josh for putting together such an amazing event and looking forward to the next one!

  • Waterloo Region, Ontario · Member since 2012 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    14y

    Wow, what an incrediable weekend.. american's rock. Thank you to each and every one for giving 100% of your selfs at the event.. I left thinking, all the people I met were incrediable including Josh :) As a presenter, I felt so much support and love from my american friends.
    Cant's wait until next year to see you all..
    JOsh what an increadiable event you and your team put on.. Class A presenters, amazing investors and great information and NO SELLING at all.. so happy to meet you all..So glad

  • Rehabber · Chicago, IL · Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    BTW, and I think I speak for many attendees, it was an absolute pleasure not having any 'upsells' and Guru's selling $7Million worth of training and education for the low one day price of $997!!!

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    There are not many events that provide this type of attention to detail and genuine desire for everyone attending to be happy, comfortable, educated and soundly wore out at the end. It was packed with fantastic topics and some of the best people you could hope to learn from and network with in 48 hours. This vent was packed with some great people who were eager to learn and was blown away to see so many people hanging in after 14 hours on day 1!

    As both a sponsor and speaker, I can honestly say that nothing could have happened over those 48 hours to make me more satisfied in either role. I really, really look forward to contributing to the growth of this fantastic resource for real estate investing in the years to come.

    Chris

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.