long distance Short Term Rental -slow start, setting expectations

long distance Short Term Rental -slow start, setting expectations

Architect · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 36 votes

I purchased a long distance short term rental from a 'turnkey' provider back in December 2021. I went through the purchase process 100% remote, and my property manager has been doing the set up and staging. 

After being listed for almost a month now, I have approximately 10 days booked for the month of April. Meanwhile many of my nearby comps are mostly booked for the spring and early summer months. 

Since I'm new to the STR game I don't really know what to expect. Is this an abnormally slow start or am I expecting too much? Here are 3 reasons why I feel like I'm not getting traction:

1. I have no reviews yet. 

2. My comps are either waterfront (I'm across the street from the river, not directly adjacent), or have lots of fun furnishings such as pool tables, fuseball, ping pong, bikes, canoes, etc. 

3. The listing has some weird provisions, such as: no toilet paper/paper towels/garbage bags are supplied. 3 night minimum stay (is this typical?). and there's a note that says 'this listing is geared towards mid/long term stays'.. this was all published by the property manager and some of this verbiage doesn't sit well with me (as someone who has stayed in many airBNB's in the last several years) 

Due to the reasons I list above, we dropped the booking price to be below the local average ($99/night). While I'm hoping more bookings come as Spring approaches, and I can accumulate some good reviews, hope is a terrible investment strategy and I need to improve this listing soon so I can take advantage of peak rental season.

Here is my airBNB Listing

Any feedback would be appreciated. I recognize I need professional photography, but I'm holding off until I can add more items to the property such as night stands, dressers, and misc. items as mentioned in #2 above. I will likely have to spend a week or two at the property, which I'm planning for in April.

For background: My market is a small river town 30 minutes north of Green bay, known for its fishing/boating/hunting and local ATV trails. While Spring and Summer are peak booking times, I can also expect winter bookings for GB Packers games. 

Thanks!

Matt

3Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y

I think you need to self manage or you need to fire your PM. You don't have a property manager currently. 

A quality PM is going to handle professional photography at their expense.  They are also going to supply soaps, paper towels, and toilet paper.  The listing should be revised entirely.

Also, if the property is not fitted properly - furnishings, etc. - you are committing business suicide to rent it out.  

I think you are smart to lower your expectations with this current set-up.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    It's a pain in the *** to bring your own toilet paper.  One has to wonder how many other essentials are not provided.

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    I think you need to self manage or you need to fire your PM. You don't have a property manager currently. 

    A quality PM is going to handle professional photography at their expense.  They are also going to supply soaps, paper towels, and toilet paper.  The listing should be revised entirely.

    Also, if the property is not fitted properly - furnishings, etc. - you are committing business suicide to rent it out.  

    I think you are smart to lower your expectations with this current set-up.

  • Investor · Castle Rock, CO · Member since 2021 · 79 posts · 104 votes
    4y

    I'm a frequent user around the globe of AirBnb and I'd probably move on after looking at your listing. The photos show the place as pretty bare. It looks like many rooms haven't been setup and the furniture is an afterthought. No reviews is a big deterrent for me when looking at spots. As others have mentioned, the idea of having to provide all paper goods is a hassle that would also have me look elsewhere. 

    I get wanting to start getting your asset producing but getting this going before you've been there, set it up the way you'd expect and making sure everything is ready to go is likely to harm you in the long run. All it's going to take is one or two less than stellar reviews from your first guests and you're going to be playing catchup for a long time, if you can ever recover. You've got probably 6-8 weeks before the season kicks up I'm guessing so sounds like a trip and some work is required if you expect much return this summer.

  • Joel B.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Happy Valley, OR · Member since 2020 · 52 posts · 35 votes
    4y

    Hi @Matt I.,

    I've been doing Airbnb for over six months now and I would have to agree with a lot of the comments above. The house looks bare, the furniture is not staged well, and the missing paper items is a joke. You need to provide a fully furnished and stocked home so that someone who chooses you over a hotel gets a better experience than what they would have got at the hotel. The pictures are nice, but the house is not staged well enough and looks bear.

    Buy the toilet paper, paper towels, and anything else you need in order for people to have a good stay. If that means buying some bikes on craigslist, do that. Make sure there is a TV in there with Netflix and Hulu already paid for. Even a small one in a bedroom. Make sure people have places to store their clothes and suitcases. Some more furniture like night stands, lamps, and dressers with mirrors. Airbnb should be a step up from a hotel room and you are a step down.

    One you've done all that and are ready to provide an amazing customer experience, cut the price of next four weeks to half of what others charge. That will get you bookings and some good reviews. Don't bring anyone in until you know they will give you a great review. One bad review will sink your ship.

    Hope that helps. Blessings!

  • Rental Property Investor · Eastern Wisconsin · Member since 2017 · 30 posts · 7 votes
    4y
    I stay in a lot of short term rentals and I could never stay in a place this didn't provide basic needs such as toilet paper. I would have to guess that is turning off guests.

    If you're ever looking to sell I'm in the Green Bay area and would love to talk to you about it :)
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Hey @Matt I., all of the comments above are spot on. Your place has a lot of potential being across from the river, but it is so drab. Very few wall hangings and other decorations. Each bedroom looks like a nice place to detox, not to have a vacation in.

    Not having the basics is really hurting you. You need to equip that place. If you have never seen it in person, you really can't know.

    You are not that far away. It is a long day's drive to your place. Take a week and get it setup properly. Get a bunch of art work. Upgrade the furnishings as they look very cheap. Fully stock it with paper towels, TP etc. Stock the kitchen with a ton of spices. Cheap to do and easy.

    Get more furniture. Scour Craigslist, Facebook Marketplace and OfferUP. I just pulled up Philly's Craigslist furniture and there is a TON of stuff. USA made quality furniture for pennies or even free. Rent a Uhaul and get it all setup.

    That is exactly what we did except I have a big van. Our place is about 6.5 hours from us. We started with a bare house so had to fill it up which is no mean feat with 2700sqft. If you want to succeed, you need to do it. Otherwise your listing will fade into the background and never recover.

    You don't need that PM. If they are charging 5%, it is too much. I would block your listings and keep the current bookings, pull the ad and recreate after it is completely done.

    Here is one of our queen bedrooms - It took just under $250 to setup this whole room. The bed is a Thomasville Americana series in pine. The nightstand is an Ikea unit in solid pine. The most expensive piece is that rustic Mexican pine shelf. 80 years old and looks awesome. There is a chair where I am sitting when I took that photo.

    Here is one of yours

    It's not horrible, but it needs a bunch more to bring in the folks. I am not trying to be mean. I just want you to succeed!

    Also, it will take time to build up a rep so this year will be lean to start. Setting up the best you can will increase the occupancy.

  • Boise, ID · Member since 2018 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    4y

    I agree with the comments above, but will also add a few twists:

    1. The verbiage about being set up for extended says is very strange.  I might not rent it short term for that reason alone.

    2. I completely agree that either your property manager or you need to provide toilet paper, garbage bags, spices, etc, or you both need to get out of the STR business. You are losing hundreds or thousands of dollars per month to save $50 per month!!

    3. I agree on the room pictures, staging, decorations.  It just doesn't seem that desirable in the current pictures.  I think many people place emphasis on the kitchen so I would enclose the area above the refrigerator or remove those items when you take pictures.  That area seemed cluttered to me and detracted from the kitchen feel.

    4. I realize you can't control the season, but some nice sunny pictures with a green lawn will make it feel more desirable as well.

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Replace the painted wooden floor with LVP

  • Rental Property Investor · Bow, NH · Member since 2016 · 216 posts · 185 votes
    4y

    @Matt I.

    I find it interesting that your professional manager has 27 properties and only 5 of them have more than 10 reviews. I am not a professional and have been doing this since Oct and have over 20 reviews on my property. That doesn't smell right to me. Is this guy really a professional? Several of his listings have no reviews yet. May be nothing, but may be a que you can do this better on your own.

  • Investor · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2021 · 73 posts · 53 votes
    4y

    Hi Matt,

    I agree with the feedback from others above. My immediate question to you for this listing is what is your target audience? The home is not staged for anyone in particular. With Airbnb you need to know your audience. If you are targeting groups of families, the home needs to be fun and inviting. If you are targeting travelling professionals, you can add convenience, desks, and other amenities to make it stand out. Looking at the other listings in the area, it will not be hard to stick out and be booked more often with a little targeted staging of the home. The other listings had dark pictures and did not look great, and they were superhosts. 

    I would also worry about the host. Why are they not a superhost? They have a total of 196 reviews but do not have superhost status? I would dig into that further. 

    Our Airbnb is not in a vacation destination, but it is being booked regularly. Its all about the setup and who you want your target audience or guest to be. Remember that STR is more a hospitality business investment than it is a real estate investment. If you treat it as such you can get much more out of it.


    Best of luck and let me know if you have specific questions I might be able to help with!

  • Architect · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 36 votes
    4y

    @Paul Sandhu agreed, its not a great policy.

    @Joe Garretson I also use airbnb frequently and agree with all this. I'm hoping to get out there soon to get everything sorted out. I've heard about the long term damage that a STR can experience if its off to a bad start. I wonder how much time I have before that negative reputation sets in.

    @Joel B. yep, this thread confirmed my suspicions. Appreciate the response!

    @Michael Baum thank you for your response. After I closed on the property I ordered a ton of stuff to my PM's office for them to do the staging. Paintings, board games, etc. What seems like a ton of stuff in a wayfair shopping cart doesn't amount to too much in a 3 bedroom house. 

    noted :) lets connect and keep in touch. 

    @Dan Thomas I also found that to be weird. However I think they do a lot of business outside of airBNB, hosting mid/long term stays for travelling nurses. But still strange nonetheless for having so many properties and such few reviews. 

    Thanks everyone for the replies. This is my third property purchase but first STR, and first long distance purchase. Appreciate the honest feedback, it has confirmed my thoughts exactly about the listing and why it isn't getting any traction.

  • Architect · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 36 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jonathan Avellaneda:

    Hi Matt,

    I agree with the feedback from others above. My immediate question to you for this listing is what is your target audience? The home is not staged for anyone in particular. With Airbnb you need to know your audience. If you are targeting groups of families, the home needs to be fun and inviting. If you are targeting travelling professionals, you can add convenience, desks, and other amenities to make it stand out. Looking at the other listings in the area, it will not be hard to stick out and be booked more often with a little targeted staging of the home. The other listings had dark pictures and did not look great, and they were superhosts. 

    I would also worry about the host. Why are they not a superhost? They have a total of 196 reviews but do not have superhost status? I would dig into that further. 

    Our Airbnb is not in a vacation destination, but it is being booked regularly. Its all about the setup and who you want your target audience or guest to be. Remember that STR is more a hospitality business investment than it is a real estate investment. If you treat it as such you can get much more out of it.


    Best of luck and let me know if you have specific questions I might be able to help with!


     Thanks Jonathan. My target market is outdoors enthusiasts- fishermen, hunters, ATV/snowmobile riders. That's what the area is known for. Some of the comps offer inflatable floaties for the river, kayaks, canoes etc. That's the kind of stuff that I probably should be looking into purchasing. 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    @Matt I.  If you stayed at a motel and had to bring your own azz wipe, would you be very happy with that motel?  That's how your prospective tenants view you. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Bow, NH · Member since 2016 · 216 posts · 185 votes
    4y

    @Matt I.

    I suspect that if you are not getting bookings (airbnb or off platform) his other clients are not either. I don't know your market but from what you have described it is alot like mine. Atv Riders and fishermen are my clients. For perspective as of this last week I am 100% occupied memorial day through labor day. If you are not, I would fire this clown and fix this on my own. STRs are not hard. Everything you need to quickly run a successful business are in these forums. I manage mine from 3.5 hours away.

  • Member since 2018 · 44 posts · 47 votes
    4y



    I've got 18 listings on airbnb in 2 states/5 markets.  Here is what you should do immediately:

    1-  Pay for professional photography ($150-250) 

    2-  Spend $1,000 on curating the space with plants, wall art, decor

    3-  Fire management - You can easily manage 1 listing yourself as long as A.)  You have a good cleaner and handyman (Find on next door, facebook, etc)  

    4- Supply soap, shampoo, tp etc.  This isnt 1985.  Mini soaps, shampoos, bulk tp are dirt cheap on amazon.  Have them shipped direclty to your cleaner as you are alerted supplies are low.

    These 3 things should greatly help your listing and return.  And the cost is NOTHING when you consider the cash on cash return of being booked another 5-7 nights/month.

    Here are some of my listings that are similar and they are booked at least 25+ nights/month:

    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5...

    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5...

    https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/4...

  • Architect · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 36 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    @Matt I.  If you stayed at a motel and had to bring your own azz wipe, would you be very happy with that motel?  That's how your prospective tenants view you. 


     No kidding, why do you think I'm posting about this issue in the first place?  

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matt I.:
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    @Matt I.  If you stayed at a motel and had to bring your own azz wipe, would you be very happy with that motel?  That's how your prospective tenants view you. 


     No kidding, why do you think I'm posting about this issue in the first place?  

     If this was Russia, your property manager would be taken out into the street and shot.  But I would just fire him.

    Show him this post and report back his reaction.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2017 · 751 posts · 504 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matt I.:

    I purchased a long distance short term rental from a 'turnkey' provider back in December 2021. I went through the purchase process 100% remote, and my property manager has been doing the set up and staging. 

    After being listed for almost a month now, I have approximately 10 days booked for the month of April. Meanwhile many of my nearby comps are mostly booked for the spring and early summer months. 

    Since I'm new to the STR game I don't really know what to expect. Is this an abnormally slow start or am I expecting too much? Here are 3 reasons why I feel like I'm not getting traction:

    1. I have no reviews yet. 

    2. My comps are either waterfront (I'm across the street from the river, not directly adjacent), or have lots of fun furnishings such as pool tables, fuseball, ping pong, bikes, canoes, etc. 

    3. The listing has some weird provisions, such as: no toilet paper/paper towels/garbage bags are supplied. 3 night minimum stay (is this typical?). and there's a note that says 'this listing is geared towards mid/long term stays'.. this was all published by the property manager and some of this verbiage doesn't sit well with me (as someone who has stayed in many airBNB's in the last several years) 

    Due to the reasons I list above, we dropped the booking price to be below the local average ($99/night). While I'm hoping more bookings come as Spring approaches, and I can accumulate some good reviews, hope is a terrible investment strategy and I need to improve this listing soon so I can take advantage of peak rental season.

    Here is my airBNB Listing

    Any feedback would be appreciated. I recognize I need professional photography, but I'm holding off until I can add more items to the property such as night stands, dressers, and misc. items as mentioned in #2 above. I will likely have to spend a week or two at the property, which I'm planning for in April.

    For background: My market is a small river town 30 minutes north of Green bay, known for its fishing/boating/hunting and local ATV trails. While Spring and Summer are peak booking times, I can also expect winter bookings for GB Packers games. 

    Thanks!

    Matt


    Hah! 
    This is weird and truly do not have good advice or feedback, except to say- get advice and feedback from a local investment specialized realtor, and/or a local (different) PM. Definitely foreign to me. My area has $200-$2000 per night STR's that are luxury quality and provide pretty much everything. It's a different planet.
  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2018 · 64 posts · 54 votes
    4y

    I would recommend getting more professional photos taken. People are going to click on the listing after viewing the price and photo so make sure listing photo is the best one as well. 

    When we first started our Airbnb, we listed way under the market STR prices and busted our butts to make sure everything was perfect (actually we still do). We received multiple 5-star reviews and were then able to start raising the nightly prices.

    Yes, if you have multiple restrictions that are out of the norm like not providing toilet paper, you can expect people to think it's a bit ridiculous and pass on your place as well. Take a look at the competition listings and see what they provide or state that they don't provide. You can learn a lot from the competition.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 78 posts · 66 votes
    4y

    @Matt I. Others have chimed in about decorating, furnishings, and prof photos (that’ll make a big difference).

    I suggest going through the listing info in detail (eg, when I click in the link the listing shows TP as provided, whereas you say it’s excluded). Also, you say that it’s cheaper than a hotel (they either know that or maybe it’s not at certain times). Saying “cheap” to me doesn’t have a nice connotation. Also, you say it’s not right on the water (again, negative). I’d reframe it to say it’s “only 50 feet from the river” or whatever makes sense.

    I tend to error on the side of fully furnishing the place and providing coffee, etc.

    Hope that helps!

  • Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    This place would look stunning and modern if you made the following changes:

    - Replace painted wooden floor with LVP, can have it match the kitchen's or make it a popular color like gray

    - Lose the wooden table

    - Add a tv stand + tv on the wall opposite of the black chairs

    - Get a bigger coffee table

  • Rental Property Investor · Appleton, WI · Member since 2017 · 49 posts · 20 votes
    4y

    Staging/decorating a bit more will make a world of difference. 

    As for the management side of things, just reach out to them and talk through concerns. They are very approachable and willing to work with you. They do manage majority of my rentals and I have nothing but great things to say about them as a PM

  • Architect · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 50 posts · 36 votes
    4y

    I took everyone's advice and drove out there 2 weeks after making this post. I had 5 days to do as much as I can before my next guest arrived. In this time we (my friend and I) added all new vinyl flooring, upgraded the bathroom, bought a ton of furniture and artwork. It was the longest 5 days ever, working 12-16 hour days, but here are some of the final professional photographs. There is still plenty I could do but this is a huge upgrade from what was there. Thanks everyone for the input.  

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Matt I.:

    I took everyone's advice and drove out there 2 weeks after making this post. I had 5 days to do as much as I can before my next guest arrived. In this time we (my friend and I) added all new vinyl flooring, upgraded the bathroom, bought a ton of furniture and artwork. It was the longest 5 days ever, working 12-16 hour days, but here are some of the final professional photographs. There is still plenty I could do but this is a huge upgrade from what was there. Thanks everyone for the input.  

    Good work. You will reap a nice return for your efforts. Folks that think a STR is an annuity run by a Smart Phone, and with no intervention, are out of their minds.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Well done @Matt I.! Looks worlds better. Much more homey and relaxing. That should really up your bookings. Good job man!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.