Airbnb guestsI violating rules and keep bringing visitors

Airbnb guestsI violating rules and keep bringing visitors

Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 887 posts · 1k+ votes

BP community, I'm in need of advice from seasoned STR property managers. I have been in the STR game for about 3 years now. Just recently I acquired another STR, this one out of state from where I live.

The property I'm referring to is in Albuquerque and is a very nice single-family home. It's a beautiful custom home, the nicest house in the area. 

We have a rule that we make all reservations acknowledge before accepting. We tell them that absolutely no visitors or guests are allowed at the property under any circumstance. Only the individuals that are identified at the time of booking are allowed at the house. 

We are very early on in this process w/ this home (I think less than 5 reservations) and a very high amount of the reservations are violating the rule. It's the kind of home that they probably want to show off to their friends/ family, etc. Again, it's big, fully custom, and very nice. That said, what can I do to enforce this rule? I really want to preserve my "super host" status if all possible - but enforcing our house rules is more important to me that my status. 

I would like to know how other STR managers have dealt with this situation. In my other STR this is not a problem at all. However, it's a guest house, so I don't think people come here with the intention of having gatherings & hanging out with friends.

As always, appreciate the help.

Greg

1Reply
144 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2015 · 59 posts · 38 votes
4y

Hey @Greg R.

I do STR in Albuquerque as well but have never had an issue with unknown guests however our place is very small. When I was doing it on a larger scale we had an issue with people smoking so we included: "As a reminder, we have a strict non-smoking policy (illegal or legal) and by booking you are subject to a $500 security deposit if this rule is not followed. Additionally, there is a $300 per guest per night fee for any guests over the two guest occupancy. If you do not plan on abiding by these rules, we advise you cancel immediately."

I'm not sure of its enforceability but it was really effective and made people think twice. You could also set an extra guest fee over a certain amount and make it a high number.

Hope that gives you some ideas.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2022 · 47 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Lori Williams:

    Make your max occupancy 8 again - the more you sleep, the more you book. 


    Sorry, respectfully disagree. More 'heads in beds' is sometimes a dumb strategy. Keep it to 6, raise your rates so you make the same.....


    agreed, but can vary depending on the property. a 3bd2ba with all king beds and a listing that sleeps 3 and up to 6 might seem a bit confusing to what may have originally been a larger group. I do agree with your point though. If i can host up to 8, i will cap it at 6 with an extra guest charge per night and up to 8. Honestly I have to say its worked great, and its very rare that i have issues with guests at all beyond the not-so-smart guests vs: the inner complexities of modern television and those darn remotes. I cant even remember the last time I’ve had “extra” guests. 

    A funny anecdote within the spirit of the popular aphorism, that “less is more”: It might seem counter intuitive as a host that sees a larger number believing it could equal more (income) or as a guest to think (less money per person), but both are likely agree that just because 2 people can fit on a moped, (hell ya) it doesn’t make for a comfortable ride at twice the gas

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    4y

    @Greg R. If you are worried about a sign looking cheap, there are hundreds of Etsy shops that do custom, decorative wood or even metal signs. Something like that might be considered decorative, but also informative. Put it somewhere that they, or any guest, can see right when they walk in the front door. Here's a cute one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/861947702/personalized-family-rules-in-this-house

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Greg R.:

    BP community, I'm in need of advice from seasoned STR property managers. I have been in the STR game for about 3 years now. Just recently I acquired another STR, this one out of state from where I live.

    The property I'm referring to is in Albuquerque and is a very nice single-family home. It's a beautiful custom home, the nicest house in the area. 

    We have a rule that we make all reservations acknowledge before accepting. We tell them that absolutely no visitors or guests are allowed at the property under any circumstance. Only the individuals that are identified at the time of booking are allowed at the house. 

    We are very early on in this process w/ this home (I think less than 5 reservations) and a very high amount of the reservations are violating the rule. It's the kind of home that they probably want to show off to their friends/ family, etc. Again, it's big, fully custom, and very nice. That said, what can I do to enforce this rule? I really want to preserve my "super host" status if all possible - but enforcing our house rules is more important to me that my status. 

    I would like to know how other STR managers have dealt with this situation. In my other STR this is not a problem at all. However, it's a guest house, so I don't think people come here with the intention of having gatherings & hanging out with friends.

    As always, appreciate the help.

    Greg


     Your rates are too low for the frustration factor.

    Raise your rates with a notice of a rebate if they follow the rules and leave the house in good shape. Accept no local bookings and pay a security service to drive by the property every few hours. 

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 887 posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Brittany Flem:

    @Greg R. If you are worried about a sign looking cheap, there are hundreds of Etsy shops that do custom, decorative wood or even metal signs. Something like that might be considered decorative, but also informative. Put it somewhere that they, or any guest, can see right when they walk in the front door. Here's a cute one: https://www.etsy.com/listing/861947702/personalized-family-rules-in-this-house

    Thank you Brittany.
  • Interior Decorator · Ulster County, NY · Member since 2020 · 204 posts · 177 votes
    4y

    I am so sorry you are going through this. I see a lot of different possible solutions in this thread. Try them out and see what works for you. 

    Don't shy away from critical conversations though. It is your property and the fact that you are taking ownership of it being an Airbnb and you are being proactive to make sure there aren't issues with the neighbors is a great thing. Articulate that when you speak to them. Give them the reasons why the rules are in place. As an educator I've learned that the more you can explain why a rule exists and how it benefits the person to follow the rules, the more likely they will follow it. So perhaps saying something like this:  

    "In order to avoid disturbing the neighbors and having the police called, we have to limit the number of occupants because this is a very quiet neighborhood. I want your stay to be as peaceful and smooth as possible so we ask that you please adhere to the limited number of guests. If you can't, no worries, but we ask that you book another property where you can. Any guests that end up staying overnight past the allotted amount will incur an additional fee of _____. I hope you understand, it's not personal but we want to be able to keep this Airbnb open so you can come back and enjoy it again and so others can as well."

    And if you require them to pay more if they bring extra guests, make sure you follow through.

    Hope this helps. Hang in there and I'm sure you will work out a solution soon. 

    I'm rooting for you! Good luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.