Thoughts on Spiral Staircase for Short Term Rental

Thoughts on Spiral Staircase for Short Term Rental

Investor · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 5 votes

We're starting renovations on our first STR and was looking for thoughts on the spiral staircase .

The spaces between the vertical poles in the staircase are too wide (a child can easily slip through), and not up to code. It will be pretty expensive to have a metalworker add an extra poles and was wondering if anyone had any creative solutions for this? Trying to avoid potential liability issues with guests.

Our GC suggested adding plexi-glass in between the poles, but the finished look would look very haphazard. Once all renovations are done, we'll be marketing the property as a premium stay since it will have higher-end finishes and is in a strong area. 

Any other unique ideas? Or is our best bet to maybe consider replacing the staircase all together for one that is up to code?
 

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BaumPro Member
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
4y

Hey @Anthony Fulchi, you could run stainless steel wire from baluster to baluster. Kinda like this.

There are kits you can buy to retrofit. Will take some work but doable.

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · PInellas County Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 902 posts · 810 votes
    4y

    I would at least get a quote for a new one.  If it fits the budget, go ahead and redo it.  A spiral staircase is already going to eliminate some guests.  No reason to rule out more.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Way cheaper to add new spindles than to replace the whole thing. I'd get a quote before both and then decide. The new code is < 4" between them.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Hey @Anthony Fulchi, you could run stainless steel wire from baluster to baluster. Kinda like this.

    There are kits you can buy to retrofit. Will take some work but doable.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    I would make it safe by adding whatever is needed.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hey @Anthony Fulchi, you could run stainless steel wire from baluster to baluster. Kinda like this.

    There are kits you can buy to retrofit. Will take some work but doable.


     Good idea as usual Mike! Doing those cable kits is really difficult......lining up the holes is a job for pros....

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    Just use FCAW in a Mig welder.  Easy peasy to add what is needed.  I could do it with a dark helmet on.

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hey @Anthony Fulchi, you could run stainless steel wire from baluster to baluster. Kinda like this.

    There are kits you can buy to retrofit. Will take some work but doable.


     Good idea as usual Mike! Doing those cable kits is really difficult......lining up the holes is a job for pros....


     Thanks Mike and Bruce - appreciate the insight. I'll look into the cable kits as well to get a quote. That could be a good option (much better than plexi-glass!).

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Anthony Fulchi:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Hey @Anthony Fulchi, you could run stainless steel wire from baluster to baluster. Kinda like this.

    There are kits you can buy to retrofit. Will take some work but doable.


     Good idea as usual Mike! Doing those cable kits is really difficult......lining up the holes is a job for pros....


     Thanks Mike and Bruce - appreciate the insight. I'll look into the cable kits as well to get a quote. That could be a good option (much better than plexi-glass!).


    You have to line up the angle and the spacing of the holes exactly. Exactly. That takes years of practice nd special tools. If you go this direction, get someone to do it. Plus the cables when pulled tight will not follow the curve of the stairs. I'd vote no on this.....

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    Just use FCAW in a Mig welder.  Easy peasy to add what is needed.  I could do it with a dark helmet on.

     @Paul Sandhu You should go do it then. You know an average guy does not have these skills......

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I would consider new stairs, but maybe you can I stall some kind of mesh or grate around the edges. 

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I would consider new stairs, but maybe you can I stall some kind of mesh or grate around the edges. 


    I was thinking of adding a mesh, but it would take some skills. Tack it to the outside of the existing balusters. Could look really nice though!

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    How about some hog wire panels. Zip tie em to the balusters. :)

    Screams classy.

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y

    I don't think there's a good option. Adding anything to the existing stairs would probably cost almost as much as installing new stairs.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    And it looks like it's 24 inches wide...

    If it is, a certain percentage of potential guests will be hard pressed to fit inside it (going up or down).

    Some of the heavier folks, I mean.

    And ladies in pumps, with this different sized Left and right on the treads--means probably bare feet for some.

    I see this as definitely NOT a positive for any structure.

    Good Luck!

  • Lender · Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 299 posts · 255 votes
    4y

    I'm with @Nathan Gesner, the cost of a good and sufficient fix would likely be comparable to a whole new staircase. 

    I had the exact same dilemma at our cabin and we ended up deciding to replace the spiral with a regular staircase. The new staircase is not entirely up to code either (steps had to be slightly steeper than normal) but it's still much better. I'd recommend this if possible. 

    Before:

    After:

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    @Kevin Luttrell I like the new stairs....that is a far better option than spiral stairs. A lot less liability for sure.

    But did you have them inspected? I might be concerned that an 'illegal' rise/run would get me in trouble if someone tripped and fell.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    How about some hog wire panels. Zip tie em to the balusters. :)

    Screams classy.


     Those are kind of hard to bend.  I would go with chicken wire.

  • Lender · Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 299 posts · 255 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    @Kevin Luttrell I like the new stairs....that is a far better option than spiral stairs. A lot less liability for sure.

    But did you have them inspected? I might be concerned that an 'illegal' rise/run would get me in trouble if someone tripped and fell.


     No I didn't. You can see from the pic, we had 0 more room so we just did the best we could with the space available. It was either that or leave the spiral there, and I'm much happier with the slightly steeper staircase (not very noticeable in my opinion). The upstairs to this cabin used to be a loft with a ladder going up. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kevin Luttrell:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    @Kevin Luttrell I like the new stairs....that is a far better option than spiral stairs. A lot less liability for sure.

    But did you have them inspected? I might be concerned that an 'illegal' rise/run would get me in trouble if someone tripped and fell.


     No I didn't. You can see from the pic, we had 0 more room so we just did the best we could with the space available. It was either that or leave the spiral there, and I'm much happier with the slightly steeper staircase (not very noticeable in my opinion). The upstairs to this cabin used to be a loft with a ladder going up. 


     I probably wouldn't have either, just curious......looks great!

  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 5 posts · 5 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kevin Luttrell:

    I'm with @Nathan Gesner, the cost of a good and sufficient fix would likely be comparable to a whole new staircase. 

    I had the exact same dilemma at our cabin and we ended up deciding to replace the spiral with a regular staircase. The new staircase is not entirely up to code either (steps had to be slightly steeper than normal) but it's still much better. I'd recommend this if possible. 

    Before:

    After:


    Nice cabin! Having regular stairs is also something we thought of, but wanted to keep the spiral for aesthetics. 

    From a liability perspective, if someone got hurt on the slightly steeper stairs which are not technically up to code, would that be any different than if someone got hurt falling on a staircase that is fully up to code? I've stayed at AirBNBs with ladders to the loft like you mentioned and am wondering if they're taking on additional liability by having those. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Anthony Fulchi:

    From a liability perspective, if someone got hurt on the slightly steeper stairs which are not technically up to code, would that be any different than if someone got hurt falling on a staircase that is fully up to code? I've stayed at AirBNBs with ladders to the loft like you mentioned and am wondering if they're taking on additional liability by having those. 


    Yes, it would be an extra liability to have stairs that were built recently and not as per code. Different than having an existing set of stairs that were not touched. And having a hazard like a loose ladder, knowing about it and leaving it available for use would also be bad if there were an accident.

    Frankly, even if you had brand new, built to code, stairs and someone fell, you're probably gonna get sued anyway...it's all different levels of liability and how to make yourself as safe as possible, as a landlord.

  • Lender · Orange County, CA · Member since 2019 · 299 posts · 255 votes
    4y

    @Anthony Fulchi I assume there's a higher risk of losing in court if you get sued by someone who fell on stairs that were not up to code. It's such an unlikely situation though, I haven't given it too much thought. 

    No idea how it would work with a ladder. There's clearly more liability risk if you have a ladder vs not, but obviously there's no "code" for how ladders are to be used in property. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Kevin Luttrell:

    Kevin, I think you made the right choice and it looks fantastic! Liability risk is over-exaggerated. Most people take personal responsibility for accidents and won't know the stairs were recently added.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2018 · 563 posts · 562 votes
    4y

    I have seen similar types situation where they use shade/mesh or fabric panels that are very easy/inexpensive to have tailored by an upholsterer or DIY and can look relatively decent...they add zero structural nor do they satisfy any sort of building codes....but serve only to avoid goofy accidents of a child getting their head or an appendage stuck between the bars.

    best of luck!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.