Do I need a washer and dryer in an Airbnb?

Do I need a washer and dryer in an Airbnb?

Belleville, IL · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 0 votes

We have a contract on our first investment property! It’s a five unit building, one of those units is an add-on to the building, and it’s going to be a cool Airbnb! We’ve run the numbers and even talk to zoning and it all is falling into place and makes sense.


My sister is a interior designer and she is laying it out for us. The question is, it’s a 700 square-foot unit. Going to be one bedroom. And right now it’s a shell of a unit.  basically we can turn it into whatever we want, and got it affordably enough that it still makes sense to do so.

However, as we build this out, would you recommend making sure there is room for a washer and dryer? There’s not a ton of room. And we want to use every inch very efficiently. On one hand, I don’t wanna waste space getting something that our cleaner possibly has. (Or maybe we don’t. I don’t know. I’m new to this).  But I also could see that having it would make the cleaning process much more effienct. 

Any Airbnb owners have any experience or advice on this?


0Reply
84 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
4y

Since you are redesigning the layout I would make room for a stackable unit. Easy to do now.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    I have a 600 sq ft in P forge that crushes it with no washer dryer. I just make sure they know what they’re buying before they buy it 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    Washer/dryer not necessary at all, just a bonus if you have one. I don't know the exact stats, but would guess that the average STR stay is 2-3 nights......no time for laundry.

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y

    My average stay is between 2 weeks and 3 months.  2-5 working guys at a property.  Washer/dryer is necessary.  Bigger houses have 2 washers, 2 dryers, 2 refridgerators.  I rent to traveling workers.  They are ruffians with neck tats, smell like diesel fuel, drive jacked up 4x4s and chew tobacco for breakfast.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 784 votes
    4y

    No need for laundry. Just make sure your cleaners have access to laundry facilities, preferably on-site but if you have enough spare sheets, towels, etc it is a non-issue. Your guests likely won’t require laundry 

  • Dave StokleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2015 · 699 posts · 799 votes
    4y

    Is there a place in the main building where you're going to have community laundry? It's harder to attract longer stays without it. Almost all of my units at least have access to on-site community laundry.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Do some enemy research. If the standard is no laundry and occupancy is high, then who cares. If everyone has laundry and occupancy is variable then you may want to. 

    Tough to say what your time horizon is for a payoff if you don't have existing connections and units to work with. Otherwise you still have plenty of room for a stackable. Cleaners might cut you a break too if it makes their work easier because they can wash everything in unit, which is often only practical in a single bedroom unit like you have. 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    Since you are redesigning the layout I would make room for a stackable unit. Easy to do now.

  • Rental Property Investor · Glen Mills, PA · Member since 2012 · 87 posts · 56 votes
    4y

    Ditto what John Underwood said! However, I have converted LTR units that I have had with no W/D in to STR and have had no problems at all as long as the guest is aware upfront. You will get more per night and longer stays with W/D in place though.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix, AZ and Rehoboth Beach DE · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    It’s plenty big enough for a stacking unit. Think about the future when you want to sell it or change to LTR, you’ll want it then. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Dave Stokley:

    Is there a place in the main building where you're going to have community laundry? It's harder to attract longer stays without it. 

    Then there are those (like me) who want to discourage longer stays, so no laundry would be a plus then....


  • Member since 2020 · 223 posts · 233 votes
    4y

    Since no one has mentioned it - larger houses you pretty much 'have' to have a washer/dryer because you'll be hosting large groups, and with those groups you have kids. Kids almost mandate washer/dryer due to accidents and crazy things happening. I exclusively have large homes and almost every group asks. (3k sqft+)

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    4y

    Not a requirement but I have one without and people ding me in the reviews periodically. Although they usually note in the review that they knew it didn’t provide this, they will still mention that they wish it was there! 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    What @John Underwood said, make the room for it. LG has a new stack model that is very nice and fits in a compact slot.

    https://www.lg.com/us/washer-d...

    What's nice is that they are good sized. 4.5cuft on the washer. You can wash large loads including king sized comforters in there as needed.

    According to Yale Appliance, LG has they lowest % of repair calls for their shop. Yale Appliance has a great blog with tons of info. They get their data from all the service calls they make yearly. 

  • NYC · Member since 2022 · 38 posts · 18 votes
    4y

    I stayed in three different STR in Kissimmee Florida and all of them has washer and drier. I did not feel comfortable with the sheets after the first night and I wash them the next morning. I really think it should.

  • Property Manager · Kissimmee, FL · Member since 2019 · 445 posts · 266 votes
    4y

    Every market is different I suppose. However in the very competitive Disney/Orlando market, a washer and dryer is a MUST. Especially for a one bedroom, your will have stiff competition among condos AND hotel rooms. You need to leave no stone unturned with decor and amenities.

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 65 posts · 33 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Sam DeZeeuw:

    We have a contract on our first investment property! It’s a five unit building, one of those units is an add-on to the building, and it’s going to be a cool Airbnb! We’ve run the numbers and even talk to zoning and it all is falling into place and makes sense.


    My sister is a interior designer and she is laying it out for us. The question is, it’s a 700 square-foot unit. Going to be one bedroom. And right now it’s a shell of a unit.  basically we can turn it into whatever we want, and got it affordably enough that it still makes sense to do so.

    However, as we build this out, would you recommend making sure there is room for a washer and dryer? There’s not a ton of room. And we want to use every inch very efficiently. On one hand, I don’t wanna waste space getting something that our cleaner possibly has. (Or maybe we don’t. I don’t know. I’m new to this).  But I also could see that having it would make the cleaning process much more effienct. 

    Any Airbnb owners have any experience or advice on this?



     I would say it all depends on the market. If its a market where you may be getting week long stays for a family - a washer/dryer could be a nice amenity. If its shorter stays like 2 night minimums - probably not necessary. 2 of mine do not have them and it has never been an issue, 

  • Rental Property Investor · Mississippi Gulf Coast · Member since 2022 · 205 posts · 168 votes
    4y

    If you are in a beach area or with pools, having a dryer is necessary.  Saltwater beaches mean laundry.  Most of my properties accommodate 8+ and guests seem to want it.  The house cleaners use it for the laundry.

    Leslie hit it.  Funny how people will expect some items to be on your property even when they don't use them.  I believe that while they are searching, they may be looking for properties with a higher number of amenities.  I recommend that if your property can accommodate a washer and dryer go for it.  John mentioned the stackables, I have them in a few properties and they work well.  Be sure that the dryer exit vents are cleaned periodically.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.