Would you put this hot tub in your STR?

Would you put this hot tub in your STR?

Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes

It's a 110 gallon feed trough.  There is a wood fired heat exchanger and an electrical pump to circulate the water.  I rent my places to welders, fitters, boilermakers, electricians and inspectors working in a refinery.  They are from south Texas and Louisiana.  They are rednecks.  I've got a house that sleeps 8, and thought about putting it on the concrete slab in the back yard.  There is an outdoor water faucet about 10 feet away from the center of the slab.

0Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
4y

I like the concept - for your guys that is... I was thinkin' of getting one of those metal water troughs and doing something similar.....

You could put a cooler nearby so the guys can ice up their beer, and not have to get out of the tub to get a fresh one.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    I like the concept - for your guys that is... I was thinkin' of getting one of those metal water troughs and doing something similar.....

    You could put a cooler nearby so the guys can ice up their beer, and not have to get out of the tub to get a fresh one.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    4y

    I would if it were a Mobile Home.

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    No, to many issues and it only fits one guy.

    If I did STR's and wanted a hot tub (they are technical called a spa ), I'd pop about 5 grand (or so) for one (maybe on payments) that seats vs lays down about 7 seated guys.

    With a cover for it, and run the (probably 50 amp GFCI breaker, wiring and cutoff to it) (probably $1,500 or so electrician rates).

    It also needs a concrete slab under it of X inches thickness to hold the weight.

    Then build a small deck around half of it at rim height.

    The proper hot tubs hold about 400 to 500 gallons (or more) of water and that needs to be dumped about 4 times a year, with chemicals added to the existing water on a regular basis (pool service or self labor (not renters doing it).

    Typical they heat 24/7/365 and might cost $3 or $4 a day to keep hot (depends on your electric rates and the amount of insulation the unit has, as well as your outdoor temps..Austin will cost less then Alaska). Letting them cool and then reheat they say, costs more.

    The bigger tub is  a party, the smaller one, I don't see it as a lot of EXTRA draw.

    My litmus test would be, if the address is lagging in renters/rentals would this item be enough off a WOW Factor to bring it up to Market.

    I don't think the water tank hot tub would do that, but a proper one might (but then there is the price and probably a 10 year service life and leak repairs along the way)???

    Then again how long will it take to return the money invest on a proper Spa vs the water tank (providing the water tank brings in more rent).

    Something like this can seat 7 men of whatever proportions (no little walls between seats--no lay downs--minimal air jets--the water tank has no air jets)

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    4y

    @Scott Mac I don't think Paul's clientle looks exactly like that picture.....

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    No @Paul Sandhu, no I would not... :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Paul Sandhu:

    It's a 110 gallon feed trough.  There is a wood fired heat exchanger and an electrical pump to circulate the water.  I rent my places to welders, fitters, boilermakers, electricians and inspectors working in a refinery.  They are from south Texas and Louisiana.  They are rednecks.  I've got a house that sleeps 8, and thought about putting it on the concrete slab in the back yard.  There is an outdoor water faucet about 10 feet away from the center of the slab.


     I think there is better options if I am being honest. I would post a vote in your county's Facebook page of this one and another option or just a yes or no. I have always got great responses from locals that way. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Grass Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 69 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    I have one of these in my str and the guests absolutely love it.  I would estimate that it has increased my nightly revenue by around $20,000.  I say go for it!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.