Games that VACASA plays

Games that VACASA plays

Collin HaysBusiness Member
Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes

There’s been a lot of discussion about VACASA in recent days, and I wanted to explain “how” successful (or not -- the company is bleeding red ink and the stock price is down 57% this year) this publicly-traded company can be, by only charging homeowners 20 percent.  The answer is that they cannot. They need more like 35 to 40 percent. I will explain" how" they get their 35-40 percent, and I have posted a sample booking to demonstrate it.

This cabin sleeps 7 and is priced at only $224 per night in a fairly busy season. That’s way too cheap and I’ll explain the “whys” of that: VACASA needs revenue to make their math work. So they add on a booking fee of $126, and a “limited damage waiver” (junk fee) of $45. VASCASA is only sharing with the homeowner the rent, not the junk fees. So at 20 percent management fee, the owner is receiving $179 per night.  Because of all of their junk fees, VACASA then has to LOWER the "rent" to make the grand total palatable to guests.  Effectively, they've moved some of your rents into their junk fees.

With the junk fees, VACASA has added $57 per night to the cost of the guest’s reservation. So the “real” rent isn’t $224 per night, it’s $281 per night. The homeowner is receiving $179 of that, or 64 percent, and VACASA is receiving 36%. That is their true management fee.

But wait, there’s more! VACASA charges the homeowner a credit card fee of 3% for 80 percent of the rents that they charge, PLUS the cleaning fee! That represents a 100% mark-up on VACASA’s credit card fee – which is approximately 1.5%.

Whether you self manage or hire a property manager, don’t get too carried away with promises from anyone. These situations are basically just a new twist on the old "bait and switch" game.  

Find out what you’re actually going to get in return for either the investment of your time or your money.

15Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Branson, MO · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 283 votes
4y

@Collin Hays I might need to consider a weight limit for guests! We'll see how that goes.  Too many funnel cake places in Branson. ha

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    4y

    Awesome analysis there @Collin Hays. Just too cool.

  • Real Estate Agent · Smoky Mountains, TN · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 984 votes
    4y

    Wow great case study. Thanks for sharing. Next up…Evolve. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2022 · 24 posts · 23 votes
    4y

    …sheesh.. thanks for looking into this for us Colin. 

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

    Wow great case study. Thanks for sharing. Next up…Evolve. 


    Evolve is basically a carbon copy of VACASA on the fees.  No discernable difference.  

  • Realtor · Branson, MO · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 283 votes
    4y

    I actually had a client point out the additional fee thing to me and it's definitely a thing. Very interesting. I used to work for Evolve 2 years ago and sell the service so I can say for sure that they have a slightly different fee structure, but they have their own challenges. They are always changing though which was the only constant when I worked there from 2017-2020. I have a property I still have them manage. Evolve does do a mandatory damage claim policy that the guest pays for (And I don't know how much Evolve is keeping as a % of that fee ) But I've used it at least half a dozen times and I really dig it. It's probably saved me $7000 out of pocket. 

    It's helped pay for, without a deductible on my primary insurance: 

    -A new King Bed after guests broke the other bed when they showed up and most likely jumped on it

    -A new Queen Bed  and Box Spring after similar situation in the upstairs bedroom

    -A new Dining Table after guests left a bunch of super hot pots/pans on it and bleached the wood

    -Repaired door frame after a guest must have broken the front door

    -A new sleeper sofa after guests bent the pull out metal hinge to the point where it would no longer retract into the sofa. 

    -New chairs on the patio after guests broke those

    So I definitely like having that. Are they managing it well enough to offset that amount vs. me self managing? Probably not. Anyone who's interested in getting the absolute maximum performance out of their property will absolutely do better if they self manage. There's no question to that. But I do think Evolve and Vacasa are the largest players in the space for a reason, it's just not for everyone. That is still pretty questionable that the fees are getting snuck in there like that though. 

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Quote from @William Beck:

    I actually had a client point out the additional fee thing to me and it's definitely a thing. Very interesting. I used to work for Evolve 2 years ago and sell the service so I can say for sure that they have a slightly different fee structure, but they have their own challenges. They are always changing though which was the only constant when I worked there from 2017-2020. I have a property I still have them manage. Evolve does do a mandatory damage claim policy that the guest pays for (And I don't know how much Evolve is keeping as a % of that fee ) But I've used it at least half a dozen times and I really dig it. It's probably saved me $7000 out of pocket. 

    It's helped pay for, without a deductible on my primary insurance: 

    -A new King Bed after guests broke the other bed when they showed up and most likely jumped on it

    -A new Queen Bed  and Box Spring after similar situation in the upstairs bedroom

    -A new Dining Table after guests left a bunch of super hot pots/pans on it and bleached the wood

    -Repaired door frame after a guest must have broken the front door

    -A new sleeper sofa after guests bent the pull out metal hinge to the point where it would no longer retract into the sofa. 

    -New chairs on the patio after guests broke those

    So I definitely like having that. Are they managing it well enough to offset that amount vs. me self managing? Probably not. Anyone who's interested in getting the absolute maximum performance out of their property will absolutely do better if they self manage. There's no question to that. But I do think Evolve and Vacasa are the largest players in the space for a reason, it's just not for everyone. That is still pretty questionable that the fees are getting snuck in there like that though. 


     You've got some rough customers!  ;)

  • Realtor · Branson, MO · Member since 2018 · 274 posts · 283 votes
    4y

    @Collin Hays I might need to consider a weight limit for guests! We'll see how that goes.  Too many funnel cake places in Branson. ha

  • Collin HaysBusiness Member
    OP
    Property Manager · Gatlinburg, TN · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Bump

  • Realtor · Gatlinburg · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 957 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

    Bump

    I will not be shocked if this is marked to $0.00
     

  • Investor · Colorado Springs · Member since 2021 · 58 posts · 39 votes
    3y

    I've heard too many negative reviews about Vacasa to give them a try. 

  • Investor · The worst town to live in, KS · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Collin Hays:

     You've got some rough customers!  ;)

    That's nothing compared to my rough customers.  What was described earlier is my normal customers.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.