Advice on where to invest in Washington state.

Advice on where to invest in Washington state.

New to Real Estate · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 2 votes

Hello,

I'm new to real estate. I have been interested in investing for quite some time now and am trying to take steps to make that a reality. The strategy I'm most interested in is short term rentals. I live in Washington state and am looking for a good area for an STR. Places that immediately come to mind are Leavenworth, Port Townsend, and Port Angeles, etc., but I was wondering if anyone knows of some good areas to invest that are perhaps less obvious.

I'm not asking just because I don't want to put in the effort. I am trying to do my homework. I've read Avery Carl's book on short term rentals and have been researching vacation areas in Washington. I understand that you want to look for a place with year round tourism, growing tourism stats, favorable STR regulations, etc. I also know that Airdna is a great tool to search for markets; however, as someone new to real estate, evaluating and choosing between different markets is a lot to take in; I tend to get analysis paralysis when presented with loads of stats that I haven't quite yet learned how to analyze effectively.

I should also mention that my idea is to buy some land and build an A-frame cabin. The thought occurred to me that since my goal is to build a cabin, perhaps it less important which city/area I choose. I have seen some rentals on Airbnb that are killing it but don't seem to be in a prime Washington location. This has me wondering that perhaps it isn't always about the specific city you choose but more so the experience you build, market, and sell. Would appreciate to hear other's thoughts on the matter.

Thanks,

Tyler

2Reply
100 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BaumPro Member
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y

Hi @Tyler Kowalczik. Personally I wouldn't invest here in WA. The political climate is very anti owner. My 2 cents.

Location is always the number one factor in success. You will not do as well with a STR in Royal City as you would in Leavenworth or Lake Chelan. So don't think you can put up an A-frame and do really well in an area no one goes.

You could look at the ocean areas. All along the coast. Ocean Shores might do OK. Port Townsend has a no STR law so forget that. PA is pretty crime ridden so I would avoid. Leavenworth is nice and could be good. Lake Chelan is also a good area. Lots of risk of fire plus smokey air if there is a fire can cause some annoyance to guests.

Areas around Mt Rainier could be OK. Packwood has been hot in the last couple of years. Lake front is always a win.

The bottom line is there is a lot of options here in our state. What you need to do is figure out what makes the most sense to you. Will you want to visit and hang out on occasion?

Once you drill down some, start searching on AirBNB and VRBO and see what's there. How much are they getting nightly? What does their occupancy look like? AirDNA can be useful, but it is best used in areas where there is a lot of STRs to compare. Fewer data points, less reliable data. 

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hi @Tyler Kowalczik. Personally I wouldn't invest here in WA. The political climate is very anti owner. My 2 cents.

    Location is always the number one factor in success. You will not do as well with a STR in Royal City as you would in Leavenworth or Lake Chelan. So don't think you can put up an A-frame and do really well in an area no one goes.

    You could look at the ocean areas. All along the coast. Ocean Shores might do OK. Port Townsend has a no STR law so forget that. PA is pretty crime ridden so I would avoid. Leavenworth is nice and could be good. Lake Chelan is also a good area. Lots of risk of fire plus smokey air if there is a fire can cause some annoyance to guests.

    Areas around Mt Rainier could be OK. Packwood has been hot in the last couple of years. Lake front is always a win.

    The bottom line is there is a lot of options here in our state. What you need to do is figure out what makes the most sense to you. Will you want to visit and hang out on occasion?

    Once you drill down some, start searching on AirBNB and VRBO and see what's there. How much are they getting nightly? What does their occupancy look like? AirDNA can be useful, but it is best used in areas where there is a lot of STRs to compare. Fewer data points, less reliable data. 

  • Investor · United States · Member since 2020 · 202 posts · 284 votes
    3y

    Look for areas that allow, and will continue to allow STRs. I’m not a WA expert, but those areas near Puget Sound seem like they might regulate one day if they haven’t alreadY. 
    Less affluent areas that will benefit greatly from occupancy taxes and tourism may be a better bet. The Mt Rainer area and Olympic Natl Park area come to mind. But do your own research - call zoning departments and talk to them before investing anywhere. Regulatory risk is a big deal .. especially when building bc timelines are so long. Oftentimes when municipalities ban STRs they will grandfather in existing operators, but if you are mid build when they do that you’re screwed  

    Once you’ve identified a list of “safe” markets, compare them on Airdna to see where you can likely charge the most (I’m assuming building costs will be more or less similar, so you might as well pick the area where you can earn more revenue)

    Also, in this market you may be able to pick up land with seller financing instead of having to buy in cash or traditional financing … potentially low or no money down, and won't affect your personal DTI. Food for thought

    good luck!

  • Architect · Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2018 · 843 posts · 907 votes
    3y

    The STR market in Leavenworth is basically frozen out atm. With the new STR laws in Chelan County putting lots of restrictions on STR owners, occupancy limits, and a cap on the number of STRs in certain areas it is very difficult to get into the STR market here right now. The Leavenworth area is already at it cap and wont be excepting new STR applications until the existing count of grandfathered in STRs has dropped off to be lower than the cap....which wont happen for a long time. Assuming no mass sell off of STRs of course.

    There are still some areas around Lake Chelan that you could get in but its tough there as well. 

    WA state, as a whole, is not a very STR friendly state. Some areas are more friendly than others but its become such a hot topic, as well as popular, that its just difficult to get in if you wernt already in. 

  • Tacoma, WA · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 92 votes
    3y

    One of the easiest ways to get into the STR game in Leavenworth is to buy a condo in the tourist commercial zone. There are a few areas like the Alpine Village, Icicle Village, etc., that you can buy condos and rent them for less than 30 days no problem. It's designated for short-term. There have been a few condos go on the market lately at Alpine Village but they go fast and usually for around the $600,000+ range for a 2bed / 2bath, 1,000 sq ft place. (these condos have nearly tripled in value over the last 10 yrs due to a huge part of the AirBnb trend).

    Here is one that just hit the market this week: https://www.redfin.com/WA/Leav...

    However, STR and vacation homes are NOT allowed in any of the Residential Zone Districts of the city, the multi-family zone or its Urban Growth Area.

    I'm from the area and personally, I like Leavenworth the best for the STR strategy because it's a true 4 season destination, there is very, very limited stay options and it's just a few hours from Seattle (no flights needed). Many people who can't book a stay in Leavenworth often have to book a hotel in Wenatchee. While I love Lk Chelan and it's always booked solid it's really just a summer spot so you are banking on just 3-4 months.

    If you are seeking more of a cabin experience I would look into the Ponderosa community which is about 15 miles north of Leavenworth. They allow STR. https://www.ponderosacommunity...

  • Realtor · Bellevue, WA · Member since 2019 · 882 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Tyler Kowalczik, I am an investor myself who owns Airbnbs, and I also buy BNBs for my clients.

    I have a lot of success buying for them in Index, Ashford, Skykomish, Barin, Packwood, Glacier, Gold Bar, and other cities.

    You need to use an agent who is aware of the BNB regulations and restrictions

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Short Term Rentals. Not AirBNBs. Why not call them VRBOs?

  • New to Real Estate · Seattle, WA · Member since 2022 · 2 posts · 2 votes
    3y

    Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. Your posts gave me some ideas I didn't think about. Packwood and the Ponderosa Community look particularly interesting.

    You all provided great criteria for choosing a location. I guess the trouble I'm having is figuring out how and when to apply that criteria in my process. There are a lot of areas to invest in and I can't look at them all, so I need a process for identifying potential areas for further evaluation. For example, I am thinking I could just pony up and buy a month's subscription to AirDNA for Washington, search for high revenue/occupancy areas, and then further refine that list by researching each location's STR regulations. Thoughts?

    The thought also occurred to me that perhaps revenue/occupancy are not always the best indicators of a great investment. Buying in a hot STR market may not produce the greatest CoCROI because hot markets are typically more expensive to get into.

    @Sean Bramble, you mentioned looking for less affluent areas. That implies looking for future opportunities as opposed to looking for hot markets. Would be interested to hear about how you would search for such areas.

    Lastly, I'd be curious to know if any of you do STRs out of state. I'm not opposed to doing an STR out of state, but it does make me nervous considering this would be my first investment. However, if there are better, safer deals to be had elsewhere, then maybe it is worth considering.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    3y

    @Tyler Kowalczik- thanks for the post ....1) get pre approved for a nypotehtical  scenario  so that  you  can make sure you can get  financing and also  so you  can  become familar with the process  2)  you will need a  down payment of  15% or more   3) once you know what a  possible  realistic  loan payment  looks like - do your  reserach on  what  rental incomes  are  realistic  and  this should help with your  decsion making .....the prices are  high in LV ...Port angeles  or  P townsend  might be  better ......consider  Kitsap county  ( although its  been  increasing in value )

  • Rental Property Investor · Kennewick, WA · Member since 2022 · 4 posts · 5 votes
    3y

    @Tyler Kowalczik

    We're looking at Packwood for a vacation home/STR.

    I would love to hear what you ended up doing.

  • Lender · Seattle, WA · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 899 votes
    3y

    @Tyler Kowalczik- thanks for the post ....1) get pre approved for a nypotehtical  scenario  so that  you  can make sure you can get  financing and also  so you  can  become familar with the process  2)  you will need a  down payment of  15% or more   3) once you know what a  possible  realistic  loan payment  looks like - do your  reserach on  what  rental incomes  are  realistic  and  this should help with your  decsion making .....the prices are  high in LV ...Port angeles  or  P townsend  might be  better ......consider  Kitsap county  ( although its  been  increasing in value )

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    FYI, @Nicole Balsamo is the director of marketing for Rabbu.

  • Rental Property Investor · Auburn, WA · Member since 2016 · 45 posts · 24 votes
    2y

    Hi folks,

    My wife and I are looking to purchase a vacation cabin in Packwood not for use as an Airbnb. We have been keeping our eyes and ears out there for the past year. For anyone that is looking at developing or purchasing an STR in Packwood, WA I would take a peek at the numbers that are on the rental sites and the amount of bookings. Currently we are seeing STR owners posting for sale due to reduction in prices they can get per night and the vacancy rate increasing. The Packwood, WA market may be officially saturated on STR's. Also 4th quarter of last year Packwood and county officially did discuss potentially regulating STR's by either limiting numbers or adding a tax to cover increases in local services that are needed.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.