I Stayed in an Airbnb in EVERY STATE (Except Alaska)

I Stayed in an Airbnb in EVERY STATE (Except Alaska)

Real Estate Agent · Miramar Beach, FL · Member since 2016 · 285 posts · 245 votes

My wife and I recently went on a 48 state, 5 month long road trip across the United States. As real estate investors, STR owners/managers, and real estate agents, we made it our mission to stay in an Airbnb in every state and we successfully met our goal! We stayed in various types of properties to include guest suites, entire homes, cabins, converted motels/hotels and apartments, and even a "haunted house".

I share some brief insights below, but am happy to answer any questions anyone has about our experience. I can also expand on any of the details below if anyone has questions. We had an incredible time traveling this amazing country and I would love to share it with others! As STR owners ourselves, we gained so much value from the last 5 months of traveling. Here are just a few takeaways:

-How to improve our own properties (improve guest communication, streamline processes, improve ease of access/instructions, strategize ideal furnishings and amenities to include, etc.)

-What types of properties we'd like to acquire in the future to further our investment portfolio (properties with in-law suites, carriage homes, small multi-families, etc.). These were the types of properties we stayed most in, and also the type we will be looking to purchase in the future.

-Which areas of the country we'd like to own investment property in. We learned that Airbnb owners/managers are crushing it in just about every market in the US, but certain markets stood out to us that have strong travel and STR demand, are STR friendly, easy to travel in/out, and generally just places that we would like to own/manage and personally spend time in.

Also, does anyone have an Airbnb in Alaska so we can finish out our last remaining state? :)

7Reply
199 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2013 · 229 posts · 133 votes
3y

@Jamie Rose or @Tyler Cobb would love to hook you up. It's a big state though, so you might want to define what sort of experience you're looking for.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Nashville TN - Licensed in AL AR DC FL GA LA MD TN, TX and VA · Member since 2021 · 583 posts · 338 votes
    3y

    @Marshall Leipprandt - thanks for sharing! I stayed at an Airbnb in Alaska in a town called Glacier View (about 2 hours outside Anchorage). Most incredible airbnb stay I've had to date. The views were beyond incredible. The back deck looks out on a glacier, so close that you could walk to it. It was a split home and the owners lived in the other half - very friendly people. 

  • Timothy ChiBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2018 · 88 posts · 45 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jed Brinkley:
    Quote from @Timothy Chi:
    I actually had a walkthru yesterday on a potential cabin. Turns out they took some strategic pics and didn't mention the sloping floors and questionable foundation. So, hard pass for me. Still looking, though!

     Sounds like something that would happen in Soldotna. I worked in healthcare and many patients were building homes. Seems like a common thing to do there. Lots of building. Not quite sure if everyone was qualified to do so. 

    Good luck on your search and I hope it goes well!

  • JD MartinBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Rock Star Extraordinaire · Northeast, TN · Member since 2015 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Leslie Anne Morris:

    That is very cool!  I am working with a buyer right now and he told me his daughter wants to own a property in every state.  Admirable goal I think.


     That just seems downright bizarre to me. Aside from being a PITA to manage such scattershot properties, I think some of the states are frankly not worth investing 5 cents. Real estate is not like Grimace or the Hamburgler, where you want to "collect them all": 

    Skyline Properties
    View Page
  • Realtor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2021 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Marshall Leipprandt:

    My wife and I recently went on a 48 state, 5 month long road trip across the United States. As real estate investors, STR owners/managers, and real estate agents, we made it our mission to stay in an Airbnb in every state and we successfully met our goal! We stayed in various types of properties to include guest suites, entire homes, cabins, converted motels/hotels and apartments, and even a "haunted house".

    I share some brief insights below, but am happy to answer any questions anyone has about our experience. I can also expand on any of the details below if anyone has questions. We had an incredible time traveling this amazing country and I would love to share it with others! As STR owners ourselves, we gained so much value from the last 5 months of traveling. Here are just a few takeaways:

    -How to improve our own properties (improve guest communication, streamline processes, improve ease of access/instructions, strategize ideal furnishings and amenities to include, etc.)

    -What types of properties we'd like to acquire in the future to further our investment portfolio (properties with in-law suites, carriage homes, small multi-families, etc.). These were the types of properties we stayed most in, and also the type we will be looking to purchase in the future.

    -Which areas of the country we'd like to own investment property in. We learned that Airbnb owners/managers are crushing it in just about every market in the US, but certain markets stood out to us that have strong travel and STR demand, are STR friendly, easy to travel in/out, and generally just places that we would like to own/manage and personally spend time in.

    Also, does anyone have an Airbnb in Alaska so we can finish out our last remaining state? :)


     We have several short term rentals in southcentral Alaska! Reach out if you're still looking!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.