Which business licenses/permit needed for STR in Polk county

Which business licenses/permit needed for STR in Polk county

Investor ยท Newton, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 30 posts ยท 27 votes

I have ben told to apply for and obtain Florida state business license/permit and a county business license/permit to operate STR in Polk county, FL. Can anyone already in this area help with advising if I need anything else? Thank you!

0Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

Josh GreenBusiness Member
Realtor ยท Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater/Bradenton ยท Member since 2020 ยท 396 posts ยท 353 votes
3y
Quote from @Dom Radcliffe:

I have ben told to apply for and obtain Florida state business license/permit and a county business license/permit to operate STR in Polk county, FL. Can anyone already in this area help with advising if I need anything else? Thank you!


To operate legally you will first need to obtain a STR license through the FL DBPR, then, you contact polk county for a license. See below:

https://www.polktaxes.com/serv...

Impact Realty Tampa Bay.4.962 Reviews
Suncoast Vacation Homes4.959 Reviews
View Page
See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Josh GreenBusiness Member
    Realtor ยท Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater/Bradenton ยท Member since 2020 ยท 396 posts ยท 353 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Dom Radcliffe:

    I have ben told to apply for and obtain Florida state business license/permit and a county business license/permit to operate STR in Polk county, FL. Can anyone already in this area help with advising if I need anything else? Thank you!


    To operate legally you will first need to obtain a STR license through the FL DBPR, then, you contact polk county for a license. See below:

    https://www.polktaxes.com/serv...

    Impact Realty Tampa Bay.4.962 Reviews
    Suncoast Vacation Homes4.959 Reviews
    View Page
  • Investor ยท Newton, MA ยท Member since 2016 ยท 30 posts ยท 27 votes
    3y

    @Josh Green - Hey, thanks for the info! I came across TDT (Tourism Development Taxes) - Is this a separate tax from county tax and do I need a separate license for this? I tried calling the county office multiple times, but was put on hold for hours :-(

  • Josh GreenBusiness Member
    Realtor ยท Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater/Bradenton ยท Member since 2020 ยท 396 posts ยท 353 votes
    3y

    @Dom Radcliffe

    Yes typically there is a separate tax you pay the county on a monthly basis. Try emailing the county and keep calling ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

    Impact Realty Tampa Bay.4.962 Reviews
    Suncoast Vacation Homes4.959 Reviews
    View Page
  • Real Estate Agent ยท orlando, FL ยท Member since 2021 ยท 104 posts ยท 30 votes
    3y
    @Josh Green@Dom Radcliffe

    I have ben told to apply for and obtain Florida state business license/permit and a county business license/permit to operate STR in Polk county, FL. Can anyone already in this area help with advising if I need anything else? Thank you!

     So how many licenses do you need and how long does it usually take, if you happen to know?

  • Josh GreenBusiness Member
    Realtor ยท Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater/Bradenton ยท Member since 2020 ยท 396 posts ยท 353 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicholas Burch:
    @Josh Green@Dom Radcliffe

    I have ben told to apply for and obtain Florida state business license/permit and a county business license/permit to operate STR in Polk county, FL. Can anyone already in this area help with advising if I need anything else? Thank you!

     So how many licenses do you need and how long does it usually take, if you happen to know?


    1) State License through FL DBPR

    2) Local county or city license.  You'd need to call your local municipality to find out if its a county or city license.
    ..3) there could be additional requirements based on the community the property is in.  

    Impact Realty Tampa Bay.4.962 Reviews
    Suncoast Vacation Homes4.959 Reviews
    View Page
  • Member since 2026 ยท 23 posts ยท 6 votes
    2mo

    Adding to Josh's answer with actual data โ€” we just shipped Polk County into our permit registry API. It pulls from the Florida DBPR daily lodging extract (refreshed every 24 hours) and enriches each record with coordinates and parcel ID from the Polk County Property Appraiser GIS layer.

    Right now there are 300+ active vacation rental licenses in Polk County. The data shows the exact DBPR licence number, status (Current, Suspended, Voluntarily Relinquished, etc.), expiration date, and the resolved city โ€” Davenport, Haines City, Winter Haven, Lakeland, etc.

    If you're trying to figure out whether a specific address already has a licence, or want to see permit density in a neighborhood before you buy, the API lets you pull the full list: civicdataforge.pages.dev/data/str-permit-data

    The DBPR licence is step one. After that you need the Polk County Class B business tax receipt and Tourist Development Tax registration, same as Josh said. But the DBPR lookup is the fastest way to see if an area is already STR-active before you commit.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.