Fire in our Airbnb unit due to guests

Fire in our Airbnb unit due to guests

Rental Property Investor · Rogers, AR · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 19 votes

Hi, BP community! Just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience that I have had having to deal with Airbnb Cover.

Earlier November 2022, we had a guest stay at our STR home, and they "accidentally" had a candle fire. So what actually happened is unknown, but there is soot and ash everywhere in parts of the home. The actual end table located next to a bed did catch on fire and there is clear evidence that is is destroyed. The house reeks from smoke smell and there is soot damage on all of the furniture and ash lightly dusting the whole section of the home. Thankfully, the house did not catch fire, but just the top of an end table which then left residue and soot damage everywhere.

I tried contacting a couple of deep-cleaning companies and both turned me down for cleaning as they feared potential liability with it being fire damage and the odor remaining. Because of this, I contacted a restoration company and they came out and gave a detailed report. They estimated and quoted full restoration of the fire damage which included soot cleanup, odor removal, clean air filtration (out of fear there may be something harmful in the air from the items that burned), and floor replacement. The extent of their quote exceeds $20,000 USD of damages. (I also got a second opinion from another restoration company and their report was very similar to the original scope of work).

So, now for my question: do any other hosts have experience dealing with issues like this? I have followed Airbnb's process on filing a claim for reimbursement through Aircover, but it has now been 3 weeks and nothing has been done. I have followed up with Airbnb's support team on 4 different times to no avail. They always respond with "We will escalate this case to a Senior associate", and then close the ticket.

I am wondering if it is best to file through my own insurance or should I continue to follow Airbnb's processes? Ideally, it seems reasonably to me to expect Aircover to handle this since it is a result of their guest. I have dealt with Aircover before, but only for small instances less than $500 and it was no big deal. The tough part is there are no representatives you can "call" or even chat with on Airbnb's platform which seems like a big miss to me.

3Reply
51 views

Most Popular Reply

Randall AlanPro Member
Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Jacob Haskins:

Hi, BP community! Just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience that I have had having to deal with Airbnb Cover.

Earlier November 2022, we had a guest stay at our STR home, and they "accidentally" had a candle fire. So what actually happened is unknown, but there is soot and ash everywhere in parts of the home. The actual end table located next to a bed did catch on fire and there is clear evidence that is is destroyed. The house reeks from smoke smell and there is soot damage on all of the furniture and ash lightly dusting the whole section of the home. Thankfully, the house did not catch fire, but just the top of an end table which then left residue and soot damage everywhere.

I tried contacting a couple of deep-cleaning companies and both turned me down for cleaning as they feared potential liability with it being fire damage and the odor remaining. Because of this, I contacted a restoration company and they came out and gave a detailed report. They estimated and quoted full restoration of the fire damage which included soot cleanup, odor removal, clean air filtration (out of fear there may be something harmful in the air from the items that burned), and floor replacement. The extent of their quote exceeds $20,000 USD of damages. (I also got a second opinion from another restoration company and their report was very similar to the original scope of work).

So, now for my question: do any other hosts have experience dealing with issues like this? I have followed Airbnb's process on filing a claim for reimbursement through Aircover, but it has now been 3 weeks and nothing has been done. I have followed up with Airbnb's support team on 4 different times to no avail. They always respond with "We will escalate this case to a Senior associate", and then close the ticket.

I am wondering if it is best to file through my own insurance or should I continue to follow Airbnb's processes? Ideally, it seems reasonably to me to expect Aircover to handle this since it is a result of their guest. I have dealt with Aircover before, but only for small instances less than $500 and it was no big deal. The tough part is there are no representatives you can "call" or even chat with on Airbnb's platform which seems like a big miss to me.

We’ve also had a fire in a unit due to a tenant.  We don’t do AirBNB, but I had some other thoughts for you:

Ours was a kitchen grease fire by a tenant.  Pretty minimal overall - fire just in the pan.  The flames destroyed a few cabinets in the kitchen - but smoked and sooted  the entire unit .  We filed through  our own insurance.  Restoration was $18,000 - scrub all walls, air purifiers, etc); replacement of damaged items (kitchen damage, replace carpet, repaint entire unit, other clean up was another $18,000.  

Be aware that just like with car accidents, if you file with your insurance you will have a “ding” on your insurability for around 3 years.  We have around 40 units… when we went to get new insurance for a completely different unit the prior claim was a factor (some companies wouldn’t write the new policy because of the previous claim).  So some food for thought there.  I’m not sure how AirCover works to that degree, but just know your claim will follow you for several years through your own insurance.  

I would be a squeaky wheel with AURBNB.  They seriously have no phone number?  That’s messed up!  I would press for a manager to contact you through your email communications.  Be a squeaky wheel.

Also - document everything really well.  Each attempt to contact, etc.  Anticipate having to possibly having to go to court with regard to tracking the timeline of events, timeline, expenses, etc.  Photograph everything, get your own quotes, etc

Aldo - a lawyer sending a letter may accelerate things if you can’t get traction otherwise.  

Hope it may help a little.  
Randy 

See this reply in the discussion

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Randall AlanPro Member
    Investor · Lakeland, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacob Haskins:

    Hi, BP community! Just wondering if anybody else has had the same experience that I have had having to deal with Airbnb Cover.

    Earlier November 2022, we had a guest stay at our STR home, and they "accidentally" had a candle fire. So what actually happened is unknown, but there is soot and ash everywhere in parts of the home. The actual end table located next to a bed did catch on fire and there is clear evidence that is is destroyed. The house reeks from smoke smell and there is soot damage on all of the furniture and ash lightly dusting the whole section of the home. Thankfully, the house did not catch fire, but just the top of an end table which then left residue and soot damage everywhere.

    I tried contacting a couple of deep-cleaning companies and both turned me down for cleaning as they feared potential liability with it being fire damage and the odor remaining. Because of this, I contacted a restoration company and they came out and gave a detailed report. They estimated and quoted full restoration of the fire damage which included soot cleanup, odor removal, clean air filtration (out of fear there may be something harmful in the air from the items that burned), and floor replacement. The extent of their quote exceeds $20,000 USD of damages. (I also got a second opinion from another restoration company and their report was very similar to the original scope of work).

    So, now for my question: do any other hosts have experience dealing with issues like this? I have followed Airbnb's process on filing a claim for reimbursement through Aircover, but it has now been 3 weeks and nothing has been done. I have followed up with Airbnb's support team on 4 different times to no avail. They always respond with "We will escalate this case to a Senior associate", and then close the ticket.

    I am wondering if it is best to file through my own insurance or should I continue to follow Airbnb's processes? Ideally, it seems reasonably to me to expect Aircover to handle this since it is a result of their guest. I have dealt with Aircover before, but only for small instances less than $500 and it was no big deal. The tough part is there are no representatives you can "call" or even chat with on Airbnb's platform which seems like a big miss to me.

    We’ve also had a fire in a unit due to a tenant.  We don’t do AirBNB, but I had some other thoughts for you:

    Ours was a kitchen grease fire by a tenant.  Pretty minimal overall - fire just in the pan.  The flames destroyed a few cabinets in the kitchen - but smoked and sooted  the entire unit .  We filed through  our own insurance.  Restoration was $18,000 - scrub all walls, air purifiers, etc); replacement of damaged items (kitchen damage, replace carpet, repaint entire unit, other clean up was another $18,000.  

    Be aware that just like with car accidents, if you file with your insurance you will have a “ding” on your insurability for around 3 years.  We have around 40 units… when we went to get new insurance for a completely different unit the prior claim was a factor (some companies wouldn’t write the new policy because of the previous claim).  So some food for thought there.  I’m not sure how AirCover works to that degree, but just know your claim will follow you for several years through your own insurance.  

    I would be a squeaky wheel with AURBNB.  They seriously have no phone number?  That’s messed up!  I would press for a manager to contact you through your email communications.  Be a squeaky wheel.

    Also - document everything really well.  Each attempt to contact, etc.  Anticipate having to possibly having to go to court with regard to tracking the timeline of events, timeline, expenses, etc.  Photograph everything, get your own quotes, etc

    Aldo - a lawyer sending a letter may accelerate things if you can’t get traction otherwise.  

    Hope it may help a little.  
    Randy 

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I thought they required you to file with your insurance first?

  • Rental Property Investor · Rogers, AR · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    @Randall Alan thanks for responding!

    I actually am familiar with the impact it would have with my insurance. I figured it would “ding” against me, which is why I wanted to go through Airbnb. And believe me, I am being VERY noisy to Airbnb. I have asked for a manager several times, and literally still nothing gets resolved. They just say they will “escalate” it every time.

    I was hoping to not go through a lawyer, but at this point it seems to be getting out of hand.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rogers, AR · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    @John Underwood not to my knowledge. From the very beginning, I handled the whole process through communication with Airbnb associates.

  • Luke CarlPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Tennessee Florida · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    I’m sorry this happened :( 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jacob Haskins:

    Stick with your current process. If it falls through then you should start a claim with your insurance provider.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Member since 2020 · 223 posts · 233 votes
    3y

    The closest thing I had comparable to this was guests who smashed windows, bled everywhere, and left $6,000 worth of damages, used a fake ID with airbnb, and disapeared into the night.

    We filed a claim with airbnb, and after 3 months they reimbursed me 100%. IT takes a while, but they did cover it. I'm unsure if they'll cover your $20k damage because that's insane. I've never had a fire in a home so I truly can't say I understand how it damages the property, but I've had oven fires, and lots of wood-burning fireplaces, so I don't quite know if the smoke/ash is a big deal? I'd personally just have it professionally cleaned for $1000, and replace the furniture and let it go. You can certainly try to get $20k from airbnb, but in the meantime you're going to have to have guests there. so I'd do the $1000 cleaning + furniture now, get guests back in the property, and run as usual, while seeing what you can get out of airbnb. You kind of have to be scrappy in this business, nothing will be perfect. Or do as suggested above, and file with insurance.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott K.:

    I've never had a fire in a home so I truly can't say I understand how it damages the property, but I've had oven fires, and lots of wood-burning fireplaces, so I don't quite know if the smoke/ash is a big deal? I'd personally just have it professionally cleaned for $1000, and replace the furniture and let it go. You can certainly try to get $20k from airbnb, but in the meantime you're going to have to have guests there. so I'd do the $1000 cleaning + furniture now, get guests back in the property, and run as usual, 

    The problem nowadays with fires, and the reason that he shouldn't get guests in until this is professionally remediated, is that a lot of particulates are released into the air when materials combust. Even if it is safe now, it is considered to be a possible danger.

    @Jacob Haskins This seems to be typical of AIR, just keep calling, every day, so you are on record. Keep asking for escalation to a manager (hopefully someone who speaks English?) You really want them to handle this if at all possible.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rogers, AR · Member since 2018 · 25 posts · 19 votes
    3y

    @Scott K. Thanks for your reply scott. Unfortunately, the professional cleaning companies that I called have turned it down. After speaking with the restorative company, my eyes were really opened to how much damage a fire can cause. The inspector took a soot tack cloth and showed me where the smoke had risen up into the attic through the ceiling fan port, and then that soot has then settled in the ceiling fans in the other rooms. The HVAC filter was also completely black, and it was located in another part of the house. So the HVAC ducts need to be cleaned as well.

    The inspector said the table that burned was like a “fake plastic”, and likely released what could be unsafe carcinogens into the air (although he did not actually test the air quality for certainty). This is what could be causing the odor which has then been infiltrated into the walls, flooring, and furniture in others rooms. He stated to be safe, it needed more than just a “cleaning” service. This is just the information that I was told and he showed me when we walked the property together after the fire.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.