Advice on guest issue?

Advice on guest issue?

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes

Just got a message from a current guest in one of my STRs. The family is there for 2 weeks. When they booked, she mentioned kids, but I assumed she had noted that the listing says 'not suitable for children'. (The house is really fine, just an old house with steep stairs - I use that check box just as a CYA)

So she wants to call me to discuss in an hour, any suggestions? Let her cancel? If she wants a discount, I'm not doing that....

1Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

Thanks...I'm considering letting her cancel, but no refunds. I had considered getting her a child gate, not a bad idea.


 And shock collars. put up an invisible fence by the stairs.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Houses that are not friendly to kids (???)

    I've never been in a house that seemed not friendly to kids.

    I suppose it's a usable sort for a lot of people, but from my thinking I would just do the flowing if I wanted to stay there:

    -- Pool out back (take responsibility and watch the kids).

    -- Hot BBQ out back (same as above).

    -- Steep stairway (same as above).

    Monsters under the beds or in the closets (well that's another whole thing).

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    3y

    In the spirit of seeing this as an opportunity to hone our hospitality skills, you have mentioned three things that stand out to me.

    About the guest: Her exact words were - "We are having a difficult time with your Airbnb. I really wish there would have been a note that this home is not child friendly"

    About the property: ...an old house with steep stairs... It is a cool property for kids with all kinds of places to play hide'n'seek, nice back yard and all.

    When talking to your guest, acknowledge that clicking the button to indicate the property was not suitable for kids was clearly not enough of a note and that you will emphasize the issue for future guests. Ask her if she wants to cancel the remaining days in the unit or, if not, what she thinks will ease the rest of her time there.

    Going forward, I would send an automatic response to every family who books, highlighting both the issue with the property and the things families love about the property. Let your guests decide whether the issue is one that would give them pause. 

    @Jay Thomas "In Real Estate, it's important to make sure you don't give discounts. Ever." I really, really agree with this. Discounts never solve issues. Best to be very upfront with the issue and let the guests decide. We are about to endure the demolition of a large 3 story building that will then be replaced by an even larger footprint 6 story building abutting our STR. I don't plan on discounting our nightly rates but I do plan on including the gory details in the auto response that goes out upon booking. I know I'll get tons of immediate cancellations but some people will decide that they still want to book. I will then also have the documentation for the cancellations that I can turn over to the owner of the neighboring property who has signed a contract saying he will reimburse us for lost income during his project.

    BTW, I have incredibly fond memories of family vacations in properties similar to the one you describe. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    So we had a nice conversation, she was just a confused young lady with kids making her crazy. I agreed to let her Canx and get back the money for nights unused. I talked to ABNB and they said fine.

    So good ending. Except that AirBnB is now offering me only 2 options....either refund her 100% or nothing.....

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Really? Get on the horn I guess. Man, AirBNB is getting to be a PITA.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Really? Get on the horn I guess. Man, AirBNB is getting to be a PITA.


    I just sent their CS a message. I feel bad because I told the lady that I' d get her money back so she could get another place..

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 276 posts · 235 votes
    3y

    Alter her reservation to check out today or tomorrow (not sure what you agreed on). you can do that, Airbnb doesn’t have to be involved at all. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Leora Merrell:

    Alter her reservation to check out today or tomorrow (not sure what you agreed on). you can do that, Airbnb doesn’t have to be involved at all. 


    I'm wary of messing with a guest's reservation. Hosts get penalized for cancelling a reservation, I'm not sure they if they would frown upon me altering a reservation....?

    They have taken care of it now, although they are still messing up her refund...

  • Rental Property Investor · Member since 2019 · 276 posts · 235 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Leora Merrell:

    Alter her reservation to check out today or tomorrow (not sure what you agreed on). you can do that, Airbnb doesn’t have to be involved at all. 


    I'm wary of messing with a guest's reservation. Hosts get penalized for cancelling a reservation, I'm not sure they if they would frown upon me altering a reservation....?

    They have taken care of it now, although they are still messing up her refund...

    Altering doesn’t penalize you in any way. The guest has to approve and accept any alterations. They can also alter a reservation and then the host would have to approve and accept. It’s an excellent option that keeps Airbnb from being involved at all. Just for future reference. :)
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Leora Merrell

    I'm wary of messing with a guest's reservation. Hosts get penalized for cancelling a reservation, I'm not sure they if they would frown upon me altering a reservation....?

    They have taken care of it now, although they are still messing up her refund...

    Altering doesn’t penalize you in any way. The guest has to approve and accept any alterations. They can also alter a reservation and then the host would have to approve and accept. It’s an excellent option that keeps Airbnb from being involved at all. Just for future reference. :)
    Good to know! Thanks. Still don't trust AIR... :-)
  • Real Estate Agent · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2016 · 820 posts · 486 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brooklyn McCarty:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Just got a message from a current guest in one of my STRs. The family is there for 2 weeks. When they booked, she mentioned kids, but I assumed she had noted that the listing says 'not suitable for children'. (The house is really fine, just an old house with steep stairs - I use that check box just as a CYA)

    So she wants to call me to discuss in an hour, any suggestions? Let her cancel? If she wants a discount, I'm not doing that..

     No discounts. Ever. If you give a mouse a cookie… 

    I would tell her you keep all communication on the platform. If your home isn’t suitable for kids, then I would really sell that. Tell her things she doesn’t want to hear so she will cancel. Offer her a cancel for a full refund 



     Agree on keeping communication on the platform.  However, with a phone call, you can summarize it and put it as an entry on the messages part of your current platform.  I do the same if I receive texts from guests -- screenshot them and upload them as photos in the messages.

  • Real Estate Agent · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2016 · 820 posts · 486 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:
    Quote from @Leora Merrell:

    Alter her reservation to check out today or tomorrow (not sure what you agreed on). you can do that, Airbnb doesn’t have to be involved at all. 


    I'm wary of messing with a guest's reservation. Hosts get penalized for cancelling a reservation, I'm not sure they if they would frown upon me altering a reservation....?

    They have taken care of it now, although they are still messing up her refund...


    I ALWAYS tell guests that THEY have to cancel their reservation!  Then I will refund them whatever we agreed on, regardless of my cancellation policy.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Problem solved, guest has left and on good terms.....

    Now I am hassling with AIR support about her refund. She left at 6:42 pm (Checkout is 11am) so AIR thinks they will not charge her for that day because she didn't 'spend the night'....

    I don't really care about the $$, just (as usual) irritated with ABNB policies and lack of common sense.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    An update for those interested in the 'rest of the story' and maybe a heads-up for new investors...

    So my last post said - 'guest has left and on good terms'...ahahaha, can't anything just go easy?

    So I refunded this guest for 10 nights (even though she stayed until 7pm the last night so I could not re-rent) and bear in mind this was not a problem of my making. So you would think she would be happy right...?

    I now get a message from her demanding ALL of the money be refunded. For the whole visit. What? So I ask why and her reply was that I ruined her trip, AND not only that but a) she found a smudge on the fridge door, and even worse, b) there was a dust bunny under one of the beds.....

    You can't make it up folks.....

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Good golly @Bruce Woodruff, no good deed goes unpunished. Sorry man. I assume you are not going to refund correct?

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    An update for those interested in the 'rest of the story' and maybe a heads-up for new investors...

    So my last post said - 'guest has left and on good terms'...ahahaha, can't anything just go easy?

    So I refunded this guest for 10 nights (even though she stayed until 7pm the last night so I could not re-rent) and bear in mind this was not a problem of my making. So you would think she would be happy right...?

    I now get a message from her demanding ALL of the money be refunded. For the whole visit. What? So I ask why and her reply was that I ruined her trip, AND not only that but a) she found a smudge on the fridge door, and even worse, b) there was a dust bunny under one of the beds.....

    You can't make it up folks.....

    Sounds like she’s trying to scam you.
  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Sorry this happened. I've heard about this on Airbnb, where you think you have something worked out and then Airbnb does a full refund.  Let us know what happens.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    No I am not going to allow any further refund......I removed all money from the account (except the amount I agreed to pay in the beginning)....

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.