Advice on guest issue?

Advice on guest issue?

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes

Just got a message from a current guest in one of my STRs. The family is there for 2 weeks. When they booked, she mentioned kids, but I assumed she had noted that the listing says 'not suitable for children'. (The house is really fine, just an old house with steep stairs - I use that check box just as a CYA)

So she wants to call me to discuss in an hour, any suggestions? Let her cancel? If she wants a discount, I'm not doing that....

1Reply
58 views

Most Popular Reply

John UnderwoodPro Member
Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

Thanks...I'm considering letting her cancel, but no refunds. I had considered getting her a child gate, not a bad idea.


 And shock collars. put up an invisible fence by the stairs.

See this reply in the discussion

42 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 754 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Just got a message from a current guest in one of my STRs. The family is there for 2 weeks. When they booked, she mentioned kids, but I assumed she had noted that the listing says 'not suitable for children'. (The house is really fine, just an old house with steep stairs - I use that check box just as a CYA)

    So she wants to call me to discuss in an hour, any suggestions? Let her cancel? If she wants a discount, I'm not doing that..

     No discounts. Ever. If you give a mouse a cookie… 

    I would tell her you keep all communication on the platform. If your home isn’t suitable for kids, then I would really sell that. Tell her things she doesn’t want to hear so she will cancel. Offer her a cancel for a full refund 


  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brooklyn McCarty:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Just got a message from a current guest in one of my STRs. The family is there for 2 weeks. When they booked, she mentioned kids, but I assumed she had noted that the listing says 'not suitable for children'. (The house is really fine, just an old house with steep stairs - I use that check box just as a CYA)

    So she wants to call me to discuss in an hour, any suggestions? Let her cancel? If she wants a discount, I'm not doing that..

     No discounts. Ever. If you give a mouse a cookie… 

    I would tell her you keep all communication on the platform. If your home isn’t suitable for kids, then I would really sell that. Tell her things she doesn’t want to hear so she will cancel. Offer her a cancel for a full refund 



    Thanks...we have had kids in the house before with no issues, I just clicked the not suitable for children box to give people some warning. The only possible problem are the old stairs that are steep by modern standards. I'll see what she says.....

  • Chuck MastersPro Member
    Investor · Bel Air, MD · Member since 2015 · 95 posts · 57 votes
    3y

    After the phone conversation I would summarize the phone call on platform so there is written record

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Chuck Masters:

    After the phone conversation I would summarize the phone call on platform so there is written record


     Good idea, thanks!

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Just got a message from a current guest in one of my STRs. The family is there for 2 weeks. When they booked, she mentioned kids, but I assumed she had noted that the listing says 'not suitable for children'. (The house is really fine, just an old house with steep stairs - I use that check box just as a CYA)

    So she wants to call me to discuss in an hour, any suggestions? Let her cancel? If she wants a discount, I'm not doing that....

     Send here a child gate to use to block the stairs so that there has to be adult supervision for her kids to go up/down the stairs.

    I don't think I would be giving any full refunds due her not reading the ad. If she turns out to be crazy then yes do what you need to to get her out.

  • Lender · Washington DC · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    1. Tell her you are recording the call. Use your wife's phone to record and keep it on speaker.

    2. Copy the conversation on the platform.

    No refund. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Thanks...I'm considering letting her cancel, but no refunds. I had considered getting her a child gate, not a bad idea.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Thanks...I'm considering letting her cancel, but no refunds. I had considered getting her a child gate, not a bad idea.


     And shock collars. put up an invisible fence by the stairs.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Thanks...I'm considering letting her cancel, but no refunds. I had considered getting her a child gate, not a bad idea.


     And shock collars. put up an invisible fence by the stairs.


     Shock collars on her kids? I'll suggest that.... 😆

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Caroline Gerardo:

    1. Tell her you are recording the call. Use your wife's phone to record and keep it on speaker.

    2. Copy the conversation on the platform.

    No refund. 


     Thank you!

  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    3y

    The only thing I would add to all the great suggestions posted already is that going forward include the steep stairs in your auto reply when someone books. Give them the opportunity upfront to cancel. 

     I include in my auto-response to instant bookings everything that anyone could possibly complain about. It has made a huge difference to my ratings. It has also meant a few cancellations within the first 24 hours of booking. 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Bruce Woodruff, so the guests are there right now? 

  • Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 887 posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Just got a message from a current guest in one of my STRs. The family is there for 2 weeks. When they booked, she mentioned kids, but I assumed she had noted that the listing says 'not suitable for children'. (The house is really fine, just an old house with steep stairs - I use that check box just as a CYA)

    So she wants to call me to discuss in an hour, any suggestions? Let her cancel? If she wants a discount, I'm not doing that....


    Hey Bruce, any update? My guess is that they didn't read the "not suitable for children" disclaimer and wanted to make sure you're ok w/ her kids being there. Either that or something unrelated. However, interested to hear what it ended up being. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    Yes, they are there right now (since Sunday) She messaged that she would call at noon to discuss this issue. I replied, fine, but it clearly says in the property description that it is 'unsuitable for children under 12'. Crickets since then..... 

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Well I think you have your answer. I am betting they will just move on and have a good time. They will probably just have to watch their kids I guess. :)

    Get some baby gates. I have 2 in our house. You can usually find them free on Craigslist. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Michael Baum:

    Well I think you have your answer. I am betting they will just move on and have a good time. They will probably just have to watch their kids I guess. :)

    Get some baby gates. I have 2 in our house. You can usually find them free on Craigslist. 


     Thanks....I'm hoping they will just relax and enjoy. It is a cool property for kids with all kinds of places to play hide'n'seek, nice back yard and all.

  • Real Estate Agent · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2022 · 551 posts · 378 votes
    3y

    At the end of the day, you did all that you could and they still chose to want to stay at your house. If it clearly says "Not suitable for children" then that is on them for not reading the entire description. That being said, how did it end up going??

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Harden:

    At the end of the day, you did all that you could and they still chose to want to stay at your house. If it clearly says "Not suitable for children" then that is on them for not reading the entire description. That being said, how did it end up going??


     I just got a reply from her saying that she had been too busy with her kids all day to call me, but could she call me tomorrow? I said sure, but would you like me to just drop off a safety gate for the stairs?

    this is kind of strange at this point, tomorrow will be their fourth day here.. I mean can it be that big of a problem?

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Exactly @Bruce Woodruff. I would tread lightly. It is obviously not a real problem. They could be trolling for a discount.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Either book it or not, no discussion here. 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    Just got a message from a current guest in one of my STRs. The family is there for 2 weeks. When they booked, she mentioned kids, but I assumed she had noted that the listing says 'not suitable for children'. (The house is really fine, just an old house with steep stairs - I use that check box just as a CYA)

    So she wants to call me to discuss in an hour, any suggestions? Let her cancel? If she wants a discount, I'm not doing that....


    Did she actually say she is concerned about safety for her kids? Or are you just guessing?

    I wouldn't spend a single brain cell on this. I wouldn't follow up with her if she fails to call. She can call and ask for a discount, but I would refuse the request because our ad is pretty clear. I'm not paying someone else's mistake.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Cambridge, MA · Member since 2015 · 651 posts · 736 votes
    3y

    The emphasis has been on either how to fix this guest's problem (run out and buy a baby gate) or how to be prepared for a confrontation (expect a refund request and plan on refusing it).

    Remember, we are in the hospitality industry and if we want to be super successful in this industry, we need serious customer relations skills. See this as an opportunity to hone those skills.

    You don't really know why she wants to talk to you on the phone. "Preparing" yourself for a confrontation is counter-productive. "Fixing" a presumed problem isn't helpful either. Letting your guest know that you are open to getting a call from her whenever she is available, is more productive than worrying about what she wants. Once she calls, listening to her and engaging with her is more important than trying to "fix" something, and is certainly more productive than being defensive. Personally, I would not mention a refund. A refund will not fix most problems. Assuming she wants to talk on the phone because she has a problem with the STR, first and foremost, listen to her and let her know you have heard her. Then engage with her in exploring solutions.

    The best advice I've gotten on this forum is the text I send my guests after they check out: "Also, we strive for a five star experience. Is there any feedback/ suggestions or items to improve the home for the next guest stay?"

    Not only have I gotten some really awesome suggestions but I've consistently gotten 5 star reviews. 

    Go into your conversation looking for suggestions on how to improve your guest's remaining days and how to improve your listing for the next guest stay. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nathan Gesner:

    I wouldn't spend a single brain cell on this. I wouldn't follow up with her if she fails to call. She can call and ask for a discount, but I would refuse the request because our ad is pretty clear. I'm not paying someone else's mistake.

    Her exact words were - "We are having a difficult time with your Airbnb. I really wish there would have been a note that this home is not child friendly"

    You're right, not worth a brain cell.....
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    @Carolyn Fuller Thank you, great words!

  • Jay ThomasPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 715 votes
    3y

    It's important to keep communication on the platform when it comes to Real Estate. If you know your home isn't suitable for kids, then make sure you're honest about that. Offering a full refund if they cancel could be a great way to handle this situation. After all, no one wants to deal with a mouse once they give it a cookie! In Real Estate, it's important to make sure you don't give discounts. Ever. That can open a whole can of worms for you!

    It's not easy to say no sometimes, but when it comes to Real Estate and money, it's better to be safe than sorry!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.