Favorite free Time Tracking apps (for material participation) and how to log texts?

Favorite free Time Tracking apps (for material participation) and how to log texts?

Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

What app do you like to use for tracking your time? I started using "Atto" a few days ago for 2023 material participation logging and I like that it has a big red/green start/stop button. What I don't like is that they don't make it easy to add any notes or codes for what you were doing and have the add up by category. I am also making a point of batching all of my misc admin duties with the tracker running. 

Any others I should look into? Also, if i reply to a series of text messages (with my cleaner, for example) can I log those as 1 minute each to read/reply? Or should I make a point of logging in/out every time I do something with text messages? 

FYI I am planning to talk with my CPA about this but I want to let him finish my return for 2022 first before I ask/pay him for his time. Thanks in advance.

1Reply
254 views

Most Popular Reply

Michael BaumPro Member
Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y

Hey @Jon Martin, you could try Clockify. Free and many real estate professionals use it.

I have never used it so I can't comment, but worth a try.

See this reply in the discussion

13 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Jon Martin, you could try Clockify. Free and many real estate professionals use it.

    I have never used it so I can't comment, but worth a try.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    I don't track my time. I manage all my properties except one so it would be hard to say I don't have the required hours.

    I also don't have a day job and RE is all I do.

  • Member since 2022 · 527 posts · 413 votes
    3y

    I use Clockify as well.  It's fine but I always forget to stop the time.  

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Patricia Andriolo-Bull:

    I use Clockify as well.  It's fine but I always forget to stop the time.  

     The IRS doesn’t need to know that! Haha. Thanks for the suggestion. 


    Also Thanks @Michael Baum and @John Underwood. I’m working towards being like you guys when I grow up! 

  • Linda WeygantPro Member
    Investor and CPA · Arvada, CO · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I don't track my time. I manage all my properties except one so it would be hard to say I don't have the required hours.

    I also don't have a day job and RE is all I do.


     Unfortunately, that won't really fly in the event of an audit.  The auditor will ask for your log.  If it's not contemporaneous, it will likely be thrown out.

  • Lender · New York, NY · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I've never heard of such an app existing so thank you for posting about this. I could use something like this badly. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Zach Edelman:

    I've never heard of such an app existing so thank you for posting about this. I could use something like this badly. 


     To update, I decided to stick with Atto. Like I said it has a big green button to press when I start and it turns red until I hit it again when I’m done. I try to make a point of batching all of my misc StR duties and the minutes add up to hours over the course of the week.

    HI IRS!!! 😂😇

  • Savannah, GA · Member since 2022 · 34 posts · 14 votes
    3y

    I’ve been looking for a simple to use solution for this as well. I’ve found ATracker, which has buttons you tap on/off for your categories. It still has the ability to input time blocks, of course. While it’s running, it displays on your Lock Screen, which you can tap to jump right back to it.


    The pro upgrade, which allows data export among other things, is only a one time $5. I’m going to stick with this for a while.

  • Troy BaileyPro Member
    clayton, NC · Member since 2017 · 99 posts · 38 votes
    2y
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I don't track my time. I manage all my properties except one so it would be hard to say I don't have the required hours.

    I also don't have a day job and RE is all I do.


     No fear of the Big bad IRS wolf coming knocking for a pair trail?

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Troy Bailey:
    Quote from @John Underwood:

    I don't track my time. I manage all my properties except one so it would be hard to say I don't have the required hours.

    I also don't have a day job and RE is all I do.


     No fear of the Big bad IRS wolf coming knocking for a pair trail?


     Nope.

    This is what I do and all I do and since I self manage I don't think there would be any question. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 36 posts · 27 votes
    6mo
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.