Airbnb: To get a Pool or not in Florida

Airbnb: To get a Pool or not in Florida

Rental Property Investor · Port Saint Lucie, FL · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 44 votes

Hi all, quick question. 

I am in the Port Saint Lucie, Fl market and i have an airbnb that is doing quite well from an income perspective. 

However going into the summer my bookings have slowed down, i do not currently have a pool. 

Is getting a $500 above ground pool worth it? 

Anyone have any advise when it comes to liability/insurance if i have a pool at my airbnb? 

Thank you very much for your input! 

1Reply
66 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

@Scott Goulet if that's the case and there is no significant difference in occupancy, then my gut tells me that it is not a major factor that guests consider and are willing to pay a premium for. Or, there are so pools already that it is no longer a unique differentiator. 

I would do a game room over a movie theatre. I think most people are content with a decent tv in a comfy living room. 

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Hey Scott

    We are primarily in the Tampa market and notice our larger homes that are non pool suffer as well.  I do not have experience with above ground but I believe that would be fine if done tastefully.  I would encourage a deck as well.  You would  then alert your insurance to it and it will go up but you would be covered.  I hope that helps.

  • John UnderwoodPro Member
    Investor · Greer, SC · Member since 2014 · 13k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    3y

    Get a small inground fiberglass pool.

    No above ground pool unless you have a mobile home.

  • Property Manager · Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 147 posts · 66 votes
    3y

    @Scott Goulet I agree with Andrew. Properties with no pool definitely suffer through the hot summer months. It is a great amenity to have. If pool in ground is not an option or not in your budget, a quality above ground one could be a good route to go.

    I would definitely make sure you have an appropriate coverage. If you need an insurance agent who can look into it for you and provide you with some quotes, reach out. 

    We go above and beyond when it comes to protection.. starting with insurance coverage, sings in the listing and in the property that there is no guard on duty (as silly as that sounds), putting extra locking device high enough so youngsters can't reach, an alarm/beep system to alert them that door opens for those with small children (or elderly) so they cannot wander out in the backyard with no one noticing and risk drowning. I would look into any regulations that might require you to have a fence around the pool as well :)

    Hope that helps.

  • Sarah KensingerPro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · OH · Member since 2023 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I would definitely invest in the inground pool over the above ground option.

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    I agree with @John Underwood and @Sarah Kensinger. If you can do it, in ground all the way.

    Nothing screams cheap like an above ground pool. Even a good one that costs thousands with the surrounding deck.

    My 2 cents.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    Our season is too short to justify a pool but if I owned property in the south I look into these partial inground pools: https://www.poolandspadepot.co...

  • Member since 2022 · 91 posts · 38 votes
    3y

    Is the AirBnB market rental market slowing down in general in your area?  There are reports that this is happening.   The slowdown may not be due to the lack of a pool.

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Do an enemy analysis. Check "flexible" dates for a house with a pool to weed out the condos with shared pools. This should bring up all of the homes in your area with pools. Exclude any units that are out of your league and focus on similar comps. 

    What are they charging per night? How full is their calendar? Should give you an idea as to whether it's worth it or not. 

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    3y

    Generally speaking, you're really going to want to have an inviting in ground pool. It will be expensive to build. I would avoid an above ground pool. 

    There are some exceptions to having a pool like if the house is a block from the beach or it's in a downtown area. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Port Saint Lucie, FL · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 44 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Fein:

    Is the AirBnB market rental market slowing down in general in your area?  There are reports that this is happening.   The slowdown may not be due to the lack of a pool.


     Mark, yes as soon as April came, i noticed a 20-25% drop in bookings. We have had to reduce nightly rates 30% just to get bookings in my area which is Port Saint Lucie, Fl. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Port Saint Lucie, FL · Member since 2015 · 107 posts · 44 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jon Martin:

    Do an enemy analysis. Check "flexible" dates for a house with a pool to weed out the condos with shared pools. This should bring up all of the homes in your area with pools. Exclude any units that are out of your league and focus on similar comps. 

    What are they charging per night? How full is their calendar? Should give you an idea as to whether it's worth it or not. 


     Jon, I have done this and honestly their nightly rates in most cases are within $20 per night of my place which doesnt have a pool. Maybe I could convert my garage to a movie theater or something? Though, that would probably be a similar cost to the above ground pool. 

  • Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    @Scott Goulet if that's the case and there is no significant difference in occupancy, then my gut tells me that it is not a major factor that guests consider and are willing to pay a premium for. Or, there are so pools already that it is no longer a unique differentiator. 

    I would do a game room over a movie theatre. I think most people are content with a decent tv in a comfy living room. 

  • Melbourne, FL · Member since 2017 · 45 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    Ok...I was searching here b/c I have the same question.  We are in FL and I know if we had a pool, it would a deal changer.  As cheap as a $400 pool may seem, I would think a cheap pool is better than no pool.  There isn't a 10 year old that cares about that...and parents would be happy that they are happy.   ON THE OTHER SIDE, the liability and cost of fencing it in, as I would need to do, is a huge factor...  My wife thinks we should invest in a swim spa, but they are $25k.  

  • Investor · Palm Beach · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 7 votes
    3y

    Airbnb without a pool or waterfront prop is going to struggle anywhere in Florida

  • Real Estate Agent · Emerald Coast, FL · Member since 2016 · 820 posts · 486 votes
    3y

    At the risk of taking flak here, I'm going to say I've seen a lot of super cute stock tank pools that are low-cost options.  You can build a deck around them as well - or not.  Some Instagrammable indoor-outdoor carpet, chairs, and umbrellas, and you can take it up a notch for less money.  

  • Michael BaumPro Member
    Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y

    This ain't bad lookin'!

  • Real Estate Agent · Wauwatosa, WI · Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    3y

    Hi Scott, 

    I would go with the Inground pool with a finished area around it. It would make a great area for hosting, and I think it would add a significant value to the Airbnb clients.

  • Pete AppezzatoPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Destin, FL · Member since 2019 · 49 posts · 18 votes
    3y

    In beach markets, in ground pools tend to increase revenue 20% or so.  Not sure about an above ground pool however.   If it's just slapped in the backyard, i'd imagine it may not make a big difference but if you create an environment around it, it could be different.   

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y

    @Scott Goulet, curious to hear what you ended up doing. We are in a similar boat, however I have not yet found a solution for less than $5K even for above the ground. Would love to hear more. 

  • Lender · Newark, NJ · Member since 2016 · 695 posts · 252 votes
    1y

    pool and theme based will help to differentiate your listing

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.